Old July 14, 2002, 18:23   #31
ThePlagueRat
PtWDG RoleplayCTP2 Source Code ProjectACDG Peace
King

Local Time: 05:12
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Epistax
Wasn't there a debate about whether or not they must be independent in the other court thread?
Yes, there was... As a spokesman of individual freedom, I suggest party-membership issues left out of this. Org. freedom is one certain democratic right, and also a judge has this right.
(and duties as well)

We must divide between these two things: Party politics and Judicial duties.

I would apply for a Judicial position!
I could also cancel the Culture Party membership since it's been merged into the DIA. I have no position nor interrests in that party any longer. So why bother? Just keep politics out of it...
Old July 14, 2002, 21:46   #32
Captain
King

Local Time: 23:12
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by johncmcleod
oops. Sorry, I'm an idiot.
No worries
It happens to us all.

Interested in being a judge?
Voici mon secret. Il est très simple: on ne voit bien qu'avec le coeur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux.
Old July 14, 2002, 22:32   #33
Aggie
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG Glory of WarCivilization III Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumPtWDG2 TabemonoInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

If somebody wanted to appoint me to a judgeship I would definitely be interested. But I would not campaign for justice job.
Aggie
Old July 15, 2002, 04:57   #34
rush
Civilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG The Mercenary Team
Prince

Local Time: 11:12
Hm ... there's interest among many citizens to be appointed as judge. But we can't say the same for some of the Ministers positions, where incumbents are now contesting against Banana (GOD).
What should be done to attract people to run for these Ministers position ?
Old July 15, 2002, 06:46   #35
Moral Hazard
King

Local Time: 00:12
About campaigning, a straight out campaign would be too political, but one should state thier legal opinions I think. AKA strict constructionalist - no authority unless authorized etc.
Old July 15, 2002, 07:54   #36
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 16:12
The Justices are there to mostly help the elected Government with issues the people bring up. The way I see it, it is the same chosen officials that have enough responsibility to tell which judge hopefuls have shown the necessary qualities to be considered for, er, Judgedom. ( )

But everyone who shows an interest should eventually get the chance to be seriously considered - our second priority (beyond Democracy) should be to get as many people involved in such positions as possible.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old July 15, 2002, 13:00   #37
GodKing
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC3CDG The Lost BoysCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Count me as one of the hopefulls as well. Assuming, of course, that the ammendment passes.

As long as I could figure a way to hump myself, I would be OK with that
--Con
Old July 15, 2002, 13:48   #38
Kuciwalker
Deity

The amendment will probably pass. I haven't really seen any opposition to the idea, just a few disputes on how to implement it.
Old July 15, 2002, 15:46   #39
jdjdjd
PtWDG RoleplayCivilization III Democracy Game
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Epistax
Wasn't there a debate about whether or not they must be independent in the other court thread?
Yes, but that was never decided. It was also suggested they leave the party before appointment, after appointment or not hav eto give it up. After thinking it over, maybe the court itself should set rules for its own members. I think we all agreed, hoever, that a politically active justice was not desireable.

Oh BTW, thanks Timeline, and especially considering I chose not to join any party, including the DIA.
Old July 18, 2002, 00:03   #40
Kramerman
Prince

Local Time: 22:12
I would be honored to be a judge.

Kman
Old July 18, 2002, 00:09   #41
Apocalypse
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMMacInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization II MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Most of the ministers already know I'm interested. I'l just state if "officially" now.
"In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd
Old July 18, 2002, 00:19   #42
Captain
King

updated list on first page as of now.

again, this is unofficial. It's just there so that people can let Ninot know (or you could PM him) as he embarks on a selection process.

Of course, it'll be five days before the poll closes, but I'm *fairly* confident the amendment will pass. If not,
Voici mon secret. Il est très simple: on ne voit bien qu'avec le coeur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux.
Old July 18, 2002, 00:48   #43
kring
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerNationStatesCTP2 Source Code ProjectApolyton UniversityCivilization IV Creators
King

I don't think it would be fair to require justices to give up their party alliance(s). By the same token, if a justice was voting based on said alliances in direct violation of the Constitution, impeachment would be necessary if the person didn't willing step down.

How would you define politically active? Is expressing my opinions (whether or not they agree/disagree with one or more parties politically active).

I also would hope that the justices will be chosen to be rubber stampers for the President (regardless of the President's political party, if any).

My one concern is the no term limits for justices. If you want more people to experience leadership, then I would urge term limits. Lack of term limits can cause problems. In my area, we vote to keep/not keep the state supreme court justices individually, but I don't think anyone has ever been kicked out by the vote.

Quote:
Length of Office Terms:
All office terms shall last one month. A member can run for a different office at the end of his term, but he cannot change offices during it. If a member is elected three times into the same office, that member must run for a different office in his fourth term, or not run at all.
We would need to change this part of our Constitution since it does say ALL office terms and TERM limits, and to me justices are an office. Or, we would need to change Amendment III's wording. As well as modifying the impeachment section immediately following.

Also, the court should have no more power than granted by the Constitution as decided by the people in their votes.
Old July 18, 2002, 01:09   #44
Decimus
Settler

I would love to be a judge.
Old July 18, 2002, 10:09   #45
Guardian
Apolyton University
King

Local Time: 06:12
I'd be willing.
Old July 18, 2002, 10:10   #46
Epistax
Civilization III Democracy Game
Prince

grr guardian you copying swine

---edit---

Actually i think I copied you without looking, seeing how I chose my icons.. hmm yesterday?
Old July 18, 2002, 10:20   #47
Captain
King

updated
Old July 18, 2002, 11:44   #48
Apocalypse
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMMacInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization II MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

You're both copying Dan.
"In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd
Old July 18, 2002, 12:35   #49
ManicStarSeed
C4DG Gathering StormCivilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityBtS Tri-League
Prince

Local Time: 20:12
I would be interested in being a Justice.

As I am an IND, I am not biased towards a particular party. I am around most days, and consider myself steady, critical and honest.

Please add my name to the fray

Mss
Old July 18, 2002, 12:49   #50
Kuciwalker
Deity

Looks like EVERYONE wants to be a justice.
Old July 18, 2002, 14:45   #51
OPD
Civilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Blood Oath HordePtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 04:12
lol
25 judge applications and only one candidate for minister of economy.

I'm glad I don't have to pick.

You should just make all 25 judges.
Old July 18, 2002, 14:50   #52
Apocalypse
Emperor

Yes. I suppose I should tell everyone why I will make a great justice.

1. I'm not biased. I'm independant and brought the issue of importance of having indepedants in the previous election. No one will be able to pressure me to make a decision one way or another.
2. I have experience. I read the threads and I am frequently in the chat room. I talk with Trip, Timeline, Ninot, Spiffor, Tass, etc all the time.
3. I'm a hard worker. After each decision I'll explain in detail why it came to be.
4. I have a good relationship with the ACS admins. If they need to be involved in some problem that we have, I can go to them pretty easily and ask nicely.
5. I've supported a court since the beginning of our civilization.
6. I registered at ACS in 1998. I have a reputation to uphold. You can rest assured I won't do anything to piss everyone off.
7. I've played every game Sid Meier and Brian Reyolds have made.
8. I have Firaxians on my ICQ list.

There are other things, but this should be more than enough.
Old July 18, 2002, 15:30   #53
GePap
Emperor

I would be interested in being a judge. I have an interest in the law in general, this dem. game in particular. Also, as I know no one in reality, I coul e totally impartial, the whole party affiliation is just art of the role playing anyway, as would be being a serious judge.
"Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw
Old July 18, 2002, 15:39   #54
Robber Baron
Prince

I think maybe I'd better take my name off the list of candidates. A lot of other people on the list have put so much serious time and thought into the tricky constitutional questions at hand .... and I'm finding myself drawn to other dimensions of our game.
Anyway, I'm not sure I'm well suited. Keeping up a mask of impartiality might get pretty stifling. I'd rather report, reflect, indulge in occasional partisan rants ....
Old July 18, 2002, 15:50   #55
Togas
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 SunshineC3CDG The Lost BoysC4DG The Mercenary TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 20:12
If the voting trend continues on the ratification of the Judicial Ammendment, this thread will likely heat up in a matter of days.

Perhaps Ninot and the other ministers ought to start meeting now to begin discussion on who they would appoint as the first five Justices.

It may also be wise for potential candidates for the Judiciary to post his or her qualifications to this board for consideration.

I will follow Apocalypse's lead:

The duty of a Justice is to apply the law of Apolytonia to a given issue, come to a conclusion as to what the law says regarding that issue, and then be able to explain the reason why he reached that conclusion to the people.

This job requires a logical, legal mindset and a firm dedication to follow the law despite passion or prejudice.

I am an attorney, I've been trained to deal with these sorts of problems, and I have a great deal of experience in this arena.

But more than that, I'm dedicated to working for the nation in this role, and despite my early scuffle with Ninot (I think we're past that ) I've maintained a good working relationship with my peers as we drafted this amendment, and I'd work tirelessly with my judicial equals if appointed.

--Togas
Heir to the lost throne of Spain of the Roleplay Team in the PTW Democracy Multiplayer Team Game.
Old July 18, 2002, 15:52   #56
Jonny
Civilization III Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesGalCiv Apolyton EmpireC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG The Lost Boys

I'm very interested in being a Justice.
Old July 18, 2002, 16:00   #57
ThePlagueRat
King

Wow, so many citizens ready to rule the courthouse?!
Hmmm, that makes appointment difficult.
(for whoever that might be) Or election?

Allright, I wannabe a judge too!
Old July 18, 2002, 16:16   #58
UnOrthOdOx
PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG Glory of WarApolyton Storywriters' GuildIron CiversApolytoners Hall of FameC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GamePolyCast TeamC4DG The Mercenary TeamC4WDG The Goonies
Emperor

I will have to remove my name as well. I am having far too much fun looking at this all from a reporting view to get caught up in actual decisions and debates.

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old July 18, 2002, 16:34   #59
Apocalypse
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Togas
I will follow Apocalypse's lead:
See? I have proven leadership skills. I've also given good assurance that I won't overstep my bounds. What more could you wish for?
Old July 18, 2002, 16:51   #60
ThePlagueRat
King

Indeed Sire... I will also follow Apo's lead.
(by reading Togas' post and thereby following his lead, etc.)