View Poll Results: Who should be our next Minister of Imperial Expansion?
Sir Ralph (IND) 71 71.00%
Will 5001 (UFC) 11 11.00%
Jonny (DIA) 18 18.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 12, 2002, 17:51   #1
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

Local Time: 00:12
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Election: Minister of Imperial Expansion
This is the election for our Minister of Imperial Expansion.

Query:
Who should be our next Minister of Imperial Expansion?

Candidates:
Sir Ralph (IND)
Will 5001 (UFC)
Jonny (DIA)

End:
5 Days, July 16th 2002
Old July 12, 2002, 17:52   #2
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Local Time: 05:12
Here is my program:

• As independent candidate, I will not follow the doctrine of any party. My one and only goal is the power and wealth of our Empire. Apolytonia is my party.
  • I will focus my effort on productive cities. Cities quickly able to produce units, settlers and may be the first cultural improvements are very important at this point of the game, even though they may be build with overlap and unable to grow above size 12. We've got poor terrain and have to use the few good tiles wisely.
  • In the perspective, city spacing will vary according to territory. Around the future locations of palace and FP will be the place for city powerhouses, in poor terrain cities can be located tighter.
  • As one of its authors, of course, I fully support the widely approved Case Pink plan with its recent derivates.
  • I will evaluate the map carefully and try as soon as possible to design a good P/FP axis. At this point of map knowledge, I would support to plan the FP in Washington, as soon as we're able, but further exploration may change this. I will reevaluate the map regularly.
  • Of course, while planning new cities, I will take advantage of rivers, resources and strategical important points like chokepoints, sea access and similar. Another point I will take in account, is the possibility to defend the cities, especially closer to the border.
  • I will do my best to integrate conquered cities in our empire, to close gaps in time to guarantee a good shape of our country.
  • I will present the citizens of Apolytonia well thought locations of future cities, explain my decisions, respect their wishes and ask for their approval in polls.

Discussions can be found in this thread.
Old July 12, 2002, 17:54   #3
Will 5001
Civilization III Democracy Game
Warlord

Local Time: 04:12
My policies
Well to those of you who want my policies summed up in one paragraph, here you are:

As Minister of Imperial expansion I will work tirelessly to further our position in this ancient world. I will work closely with all relevant advisors and consult the citizens when necessary. I support Case Pink/ Blue. I believe we should have a period of expansion after the war with the USA. I support foundation of Blue City from the settler being built in Banana HQ.

For those of you who want a more detailed look see below:

I am firmly against radius overlap and I will encourage that borders should be closed to outside influences. Also I think that if productive cities could be fitted in a ring with 4-tile spacing apart (there is sufficient land around America to do this), it would produce cities which are perfect for a military conquest, whereas fewer, but better cities could provide a better platform for a science victory. I believe that we should build our cities according to how we decide we will win (which we will )

I do NOT believe that another city should be built in the jungle around the dyes, I believe that the public works advisor should be contacted so that a colony is set up on the dyes (as it is the perfect situation to use them!!)

About using our own settlers rather than military expansion:
I say that we start to use our own settlers whenever we get the chance to acquire good land though non-military expansion and we are not under threat. This means after the war with America, then we can see how much of a threat France is (especially when they get Musketeers, long way off right now). Then perhaps after the war with France, we will be in a stable and powerful position to expand where there would be little challenge to our settlers marching onwards!

I also believe that we should build the FP in Washington, or another American city and then we could jump our palace to another location once we have found our way out of the jungle (perhaps though the seas).

The seas:
The seas are a good possibility, a good way to bypass the jungle, as long as that doesn't put too much strain on our military or science. But it could all too easily be a fruitless exercise, we have to see what the land looks like around America a bit more, the seas could provide a welcome piece of good land though!
Old July 12, 2002, 20:16   #4
jdjdjd
PtWDG RoleplayCivilization III Democracy Game
Prince

Local Time: 23:12
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Go Sir Ralph, while I may not agree with him, he does know the game inside and certainly crunches the numbers like nobody's business. He's independent too.
Old July 12, 2002, 20:55   #5
Kuciwalker
Deity

Sir Ralph is by far the best candidate. He has made great contributions as a citizen, and will doubtless continue doing so as a minister.
Old July 12, 2002, 22:44   #6
Jonny
Civilization III Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesGalCiv Apolyton EmpireC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG The Lost Boys

Here's a quick rundown of my policies:

Why should you vote for me to be your new IE minister?

Firstly, I strive to place cities in positions that will make them efficent and productive, however that can be done.

Secondly, I have more experience as IE minister than any other candidate, having served 1 term. I was also deputy IE minister under Timeline.

Third, I listen to the people. I listen to their opinions, and act accordingly. If I propose a plan, and people don't like it, I'll listen to their ideas and suggestions to change it.

Finally, I promise that my decisions will NOT be based on party politics. For example, I highly supported Case Pink, even though it was highly supported by the UFC. I am part of the DIA, not the UFC.

For more detailed disscusions on my policies (and the policies of others), please go here: http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=55078

So remember, vote for Jonny, the best choice for Apolytonia!
Old July 13, 2002, 02:02   #7
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

This one (a real race), also needs to go back onto page #1. Where are you Mr. Ming!
Old July 13, 2002, 02:11   #8
Kramerman
Prince

Local Time: 22:12
Quote:
resources and strategical important points
Strategical eh? Is that kinda of like Baby Bush's "startegery"?

Well, sir ralph is an independent, and being one myself - because Im bitterly apposed to party politics - I'm going to vote for my fellow Independent.... uh... wait a second... Damn it! I always contridict my-friggin-self!

Kman
Old July 13, 2002, 02:16   #9
Epistax
Prince

*spam* strategery is the funniest word I have ever heard */spam*

(seriously SNL rocks)
Old July 13, 2002, 04:44   #10
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 16:12
I question the influence of the IE Minister for the next term (or at least most of it). During this time we will be conforming to strict war plans that call for cities to be located such, and I forsee little time that we will not be either at war or totally geared towards preparing for war - we are against 15 other civs in this world

It is quite possible that for the next term (or even two), this position is a bit of a lame duck, parroting recommendations demanded by plans like Eagle or Case Pink, thought up mostly by non-candidates.

If you have approved these plans in a vote, then you are effectively tying the hands of some Ministers, particularly this one and the PW Minister.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old July 13, 2002, 05:27   #11
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Local Time: 05:12
I don't see a problem, if the people, who make and discuss these plans are the same, who process them later. Nobody hinders ministers and candidates to take actively part in these discussions, at the countrary.

If we follow Case Pink (and its derivate, Plan Eagle), settlers will be built to reduce the overpopulation in our productive cities, namely Apolyton and Termina. That's at least 2 cities to place during the next term, not even counting the Blue city. A good amount of work for the minister of IE.
Old July 13, 2002, 07:01   #12
punkbass2000
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III Democracy GameApolyton UniversityCivilization III PBEM
King

I vote Ralph.
Old July 13, 2002, 08:08   #13
Kuciwalker
Deity

I STILL CAN'T VOTE!!!!!!!!!!! HELP ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THE STUPID THING SAYS THAT MY SESSION IS INVALID!!!!!!!!
Old July 13, 2002, 10:50   #14
Will 5001
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by MrWhereItsAt
I question the influence of the IE Minister for the next term
The IE minister will not have as much to do over the next term as some other ministers, which is why I suggested that Ralph could use his influence more in a more important post . However, the work of the IE minister at this stage and in the rest of the game will be with us for the rest of the game.
Old July 13, 2002, 13:12   #15
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Sir Ralph-

I'm voting nearly a clean IND ticket
Support the independents!
Old July 13, 2002, 15:36   #16
Vlad Antlerkov
King

Interesting.

I was expecting Jonny to do better, what with him being the incumbent and all. Instead, Ralph is hammering Jonny and Will. Barring a massive comeback, or a selective interpretation of the votes (), Ralph's pretty much got it in the bag. (Maybe it has something to do with the fact that Jonny ran against Skywalker... nah. )

Which is a very good thing-- he's probably the best person for the job that I can think of (if we limit it to members only).

Go Ralph!
Old July 13, 2002, 17:19   #17
Will 5001
Warlord

Ralph had it in the bag from the moment he joined the race, Jonny and I were always going to be campaining for second place, in that respect it's a very close race
Old July 13, 2002, 17:27   #18
Will 5001
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by DarkCloud
I'm voting nearly a clean IND ticket
Support the independents!
Sorry DarkCloud but that is just as bad as supporting a party, since you aren't giving any room for party candidates. Even though I am an avid fan of the UFC, I haven't voted entirley UFC for this election. The whole point of independents is that they are not supported by any party, it looks like you have just created the independent party !!! In fact most people haven't voted due to the party, just look at this election for a prime example, you should vote for the policies in which you believe (I am not saying you don't, but it is unlikely that ALL independent candidates share your views, perhaps they do ) Sorry for attacking you in this way .
Old July 13, 2002, 20:44   #19
Kramerman
Prince

Quote:
The whole point of independents is that they are not supported by any party, it looks like you have just created the independent party !!!
The funny thing is that I was just joking about that being an independent myself ... perhaps DarkCloud missed my thread or maybe he didn't get what I was saying, or perhaps he was just joking himself?

Kman
Old July 13, 2002, 20:57   #20
Kuciwalker
Deity

Please look at my Independent Moderate Party (don't tell me that it's an oxymoron; I KNOW YOU CAN SHUT UP NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!).
Old July 14, 2002, 01:42   #21
Kramerman
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by skywalker
Please look at my Independent Moderate Party (don't tell me that it's an oxymoron; I KNOW YOU CAN SHUT UP NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!).
No! I refuse to shut up! I have the biggest mouth (both figuratively and literally speaking) mouth in all of Apolytonia!

However, I apologize. I meant no offense by my post, though I am sensing hostility being caused by it. Again, my apologies.

Kman

P.S. skywalker, I like your signature line
Old July 14, 2002, 02:07   #22
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by skywalker
there's skywalkers complete and utter sanity again
Old July 14, 2002, 03:30   #23
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Quote:
Originally posted by UberKruX

there's skywalkers complete and utter sanity again
Old July 14, 2002, 03:31   #24
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Tassadar5000

i like how you reply to everything you deem as a spam post with just the spam icon. makes perfect sense, ad pads the postcount.

crazy russians
Old July 14, 2002, 03:33   #25
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Quote:
Originally posted by UberKruX

i like how you reply to everything you deem as a spam post with just the spam icon. makes perfect sense, ad pads the postcount.

crazy russians
*Sigh*

See how mean these people are to me? It's all just because I'm russian.....

Old July 14, 2002, 03:36   #26
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Tassadar5000

*Sigh*

See how mean these people are to me? It's all just because I'm russian.....

sorry us crazy americas are like that
Old July 14, 2002, 04:28   #27
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

You do have to say more than a smilie Tass. Actually, it might even be a site rule...
Old July 14, 2002, 05:06   #28
Will 5001
Warlord

You know, this might actually not have anything to do with the election, isn't this a more "off-topic" kind of discusion!!
Old July 14, 2002, 13:48   #29
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Will 5001
You know, this might actually not have anything to do with the election, isn't this a more "off-topic" kind of discusion!!
would you rather have us debate over this lopsided election? is there really a point?
Old July 14, 2002, 13:51   #30
Kuciwalker
Deity

Quote:
is there really a point?
No