Old July 13, 2002, 02:46   #1
The Rusty Gamer
Prince

Local Time: 16:14
Local Date: November 1, 2010
HOMM3 multiplayer maps
Ok, I recently purchased Heroes of Might and Magic 3 quite cheaply (without the add-ons). The thing is, I was playing it against a friend head-to-head modem last night and discovered a distinct lack of the kind of map we really wanted; that is to say, just one vs one on a map where you virtually start from scratch with your castle and no computer players. Now I know we can create our own maps but that means we would already know the layout.

1) Where is a good place to get heaps of the kind of map I've just described?

2) Apparently when you get the add-ons, you get a random scenario generator which presumably does what we want. Is there anyway to get the generator without buying any add-ons; can it just be downloaded from somewhere?

3) How does HOMM3 compare with HOMM4? What is there in the latest version gameplay-wise, forgetting the enhanced isometric view since there is more to a game than improved graphics.
Old July 13, 2002, 06:11   #2
chronocrator
Warlord

Local Time: 05:14
I downloaded a couple of maps from here: http://www.strategyplanet.com/homm/
I'm not sure if that is the best site though, a google search will give you other sites, there are a lot of maps out there. I don't know about the szenario editor (I heard its really bad) but I guess if it is downloadable the site will have it.

I prefer HoMM4, the magic system is far more advanced and I also like the skill system better. You can have more than one hero in your army and the heroes actually take part in the battles.
There is no MP (other than hotseat) yet, though NWC promises a free MP-patch.

To read more opinions about HoMM4 dig out the old thread.
Old July 13, 2002, 11:20   #3
Leonidas
King

Local Time: 04:14
Re: HOMM3 multiplayer maps
Quote:
Originally posted by The Rusty Gamer
Ok, I recently purchased Heroes of Might and Magic 3 quite cheaply (without the add-ons). The thing is, I was playing it against a friend head-to-head modem last night and discovered a distinct lack of the kind of map we really wanted; that is to say, just one vs one on a map where you virtually start from scratch with your castle and no computer players. Now I know we can create our own maps but that means we would already know the layout.

1) Where is a good place to get heaps of the kind of map I've just described?

2) Apparently when you get the add-ons, you get a random scenario generator which presumably does what we want. Is there anyway to get the generator without buying any add-ons; can it just be downloaded from somewhere?

3) How does HOMM3 compare with HOMM4? What is there in the latest version gameplay-wise, forgetting the enhanced isometric view since there is more to a game than improved graphics.

Try Astral Wizard's Site. They should have a ton a new maps (including MP):

http://www.astralwizard.com/heroes/splash.htm

HoMM3 is definitely worth getting all the expansion packs. Great game!

Last edited by Leonidas; July 13, 2002 at 11:28.
Old July 14, 2002, 16:21   #4
thinkingamer
Warlord

Local Time: 20:14
Local Date: October 31, 2010
1) www.toheroes.com but mostly, MP maps

2) in TOH almost about 50% of the games r played ramdom maps, but personally, dont like it. U'll need Armaggedon's blade or Shadow of Death in order to have random senario generator.

3) IMHO, 3 is better than 4. Homm4 is still buggy, high sys. requirements(slow with my Athlon 1400 mhz), and somehow unfaithful to the HOMM series. But then, i only played 5 maps, and tried only 2 races. But homm4 has some very interesting stuff (magic system is similar to Magic the Gathering) and concept, but its not well executed like homm 2 and 3. U'll also hate the manual as well.

Finally, IMO the best maps r the ones that u make it (i have 2 homm3 maps that i spent 24 hours each).