Old July 13, 2002, 17:12   #1
Method
ACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 SpartansAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNs
Emperor

Local Time: 01:16
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Odd Things in Scenarios
some things are really screwed up sometimes in scenarios. things like wrong graphics for native life (there was a thread about that a loooong time ago) and the AI only building mind worms . this only happens in scenarios i make though, so maybe i'm doing something wrong.

anyway look at this picture. see if you can name all the things wrong with it

Edit: i meant to put on a picture of a conversation with morgan/rose but it was crappy quality. it showed morgan asking me to "donate" 0 credits to him because "i was rich and he was poor". the choices were:
-maybe you shouldn't have squandered your money...
-here, you may have your 0 credits
-you overestimate my wealth CEO. perhaps 1 credit is a better number.

for the HQ info it showed a picture of Data DeCentral but it said Morgan Industries.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	wrong2.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	192.0 KB
ID:	19465  

Last edited by Method; July 13, 2002 at 17:32.
Old July 13, 2002, 17:40   #2
Method
ACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 SpartansAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNs
Emperor

here's another one...
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	wrong.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	192.9 KB
ID:	19467  
Old July 13, 2002, 18:38   #3
Iskandar Reza
Civilization III PBEM
Prince

Local Time: 12:16

And now, the theme for our next Planetary Council Meeting, 'Cross-Dressing Faction Leaders'
"Who's your Daddy? You know who your Daddy is, huh?? It's me! Yeah.. I'm your Daddy! Uh-huh! How come I'm your Daddy! 'Coz I did this to your Mama? Yeah, your Mama! Yeah this your Mama! Your Mama! You suck man, but your Mama's sweet! You suck, but your Mama, ohhh... Uh-huh, your Mama! Far out man, you do suck, but not as good as your Mama! So what's it gonna be? Spit or swallow, sissy boy?" - Superfly, joecartoon
Old July 13, 2002, 20:12   #4
Googlie
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 GaiansACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNsACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
Emperor

Local Time: 21:16
Local Date: October 31, 2010
It's a known feature of PBEM players - when you load a scenario, it takes the seven graphics from the last seven factions you played and stored on your .ini file.

To avoid it, start a single player game with the seven factions in the order they appear in your scenario, then exit the game as soon as you build your first colony.

Now load your scenario. the correct faction graphics will appear.

Alternatively, you can go into your alphacentauri.ini file and manually edit the seven factions to the order in your scenario, load the scenario, and voila, the correct faction graphics appear.

Most of us just learn to live with the graphics.

G.
Old July 13, 2002, 20:15   #5
Method
Emperor

now that you mention it, that is the order of my current SP game. the thing about morgan/roze demanding 0 energy still remains a mystery

"Greetings forman domai. i am Datajack Ro... erm CEO Morgan. it is ever a pleasure to match wits with you..."

Last edited by Method; July 13, 2002 at 20:25.
Old July 15, 2002, 05:50   #6
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Local Time: 04:16
Re: Odd Things in Scenarios
Quote:
Originally posted by TKG
some things are really screwed up sometimes in scenarios. things like wrong graphics for native life (there was a thread about that a loooong time ago) and the AI only building mind worms . this only happens in scenarios i make though, so maybe i'm doing something wrong.

anyway look at this picture. see if you can name all the things wrong with it

Edit: i meant to put on a picture of a conversation with morgan/rose but it was crappy quality. it showed morgan asking me to "donate" 0 credits to him because "i was rich and he was poor". the choices were:
-maybe you shouldn't have squandered your money...
-here, you may have your 0 credits
-you overestimate my wealth CEO. perhaps 1 credit is a better number.

for the HQ info it showed a picture of Data DeCentral but it said Morgan Industries.

Imagine, Morgan pretending to be Dedrie.

Anyway.....Yeah, a lot of odd things happen in my scenarios. Sometimes planetary elections will have (for example) Morgan and University up, but everyone except for me abstains, or the AI builds nothing but mindworms, or the ai switches names.
Old July 15, 2002, 11:17   #7
Method
Emperor

Re: Re: Odd Things in Scenarios
Quote:
Originally posted by Tassadar5000

Imagine, Morgan pretending to be Dedrie.
"Well Jeneba i'm off to planetary council. How do i look? can you tell its me?"

"you are a spitting image of Lady Deirdre, sir."
Old July 18, 2002, 21:46   #8
Method
Emperor

instead of making a new thread, im putting this here. i probed a tech from zak using a sea probe. then it tells me that my shard tank has been upgrade to veteran status. next thing i know, pactmate morgan has a veteran shard tank in morgan solarfex (my base). this isn't even a scenario
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	weird.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	240.0 KB
ID:	19930  
Old July 21, 2002, 21:35   #9
Googlie
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 GaiansACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNsACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
Emperor

Hmm - off the top of my head I'd suspect that you have added a preformed unit or two to your #UNITS in the alpha.txt file, and have an imbalance between the # and the actual number.

When searching for the unit description to display in the message box, the system will then pick the adjacent one to the foil probe in your workshop display list (the unit# scrolling along the bottom, not the order in which you see them in the build choice boxes)

I'd suspect that a shard tank is either immediately before or after the foil probe (the message does say The team has been .... and not the unit, so it is still thinking it is a probe.

As to why it appears now to be a Morgan unit, I don't know the answer to that. Try changing the name of the base to something other than Morgan and see if that makes any difference to ownership.

G.
Old July 22, 2002, 11:57   #10
Method
Emperor

ok let see.

i haven't added any units to the alphax.txt

it was a probe cruiser, and it was already elite. i still had the probe afterwards, and it was just right outside the univerity base i probed the tech from, ready to probe again. if you look at the map, you'll find that morgan solarfex is the eastern pirate base among the morgan bases
Old July 31, 2002, 22:03   #11
Method
Emperor

heres a screenshot of a weird scenario IOD...

Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	iod.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	217.1 KB
ID:	21105  
Old July 31, 2002, 22:18   #12
Googlie
Emperor

Hmmm - again

That actually is one of the graphics.pcx - it used to appear when we had a preformed trawler in #UNITS in aplha.txt. IIRC it is the default graphic that appears when there is an imbalance in the #UNITS and the number of preformed units

I haven't seen it as an IoD, but others have

It's not unique to scenarios as I used to get it in SP games until I changed the prereq for the trawler to doc init.

G.
Old July 31, 2002, 22:32   #13
Method
Emperor

well, this is one of the scenarios that comes with the game (the spartans and believers Vs. hive one) and this is the only place i've seen it.
Old August 2, 2002, 13:13   #14
Vultur
Warlord

Local Time: 05:16
The Solution
The only way to solve the problem is to start a new normal game with the exact order of factions:
if your scenario has:
1st:Morgans
2nd:Gaians
7th:Usurpers

you start a game setting all faction:
1st:Morgans
2nd:Gaians
7th:Usurpers
then you save before beginning your first turn and you exit.
Now reload your scenario .sav. For a misterious reason the faction will be displayed correctly.
Old August 2, 2002, 17:46   #15
Method
Emperor

well that was just a scenario involving every faction getting all the tech at the start (i wouldn't recommend it, its no fun) that i threw together for no reason, just fooling around. googlie already explained it: the mysterious reason is that thats the order in the .ini file. you could just go in to the .ini file and change it as googlie said, saving a lot of work.

it only took me about 20 minutes to conquer the world with string deathspheres, so this isn't really something i would go to the trouble for anyways.