Local Time: 06:17
Local Date: November 1, 2010
What 8 civs will be added?
Does anyone knows?
If no, I'd suggest the following:

Khan Genghis and Mongols
Isabelle de Castille and Spain
Messiah Muhamet and Arabs
Kemal ata Turk and Ottoman Empire (Turks)
Erik the Red and Vikings
Duke Gediminas and Lithuanian Great Dutchment
King Solomon and Jews
Kim Il Sung and Koreans
Old July 14, 2002, 06:47   #2
zulu9812
King

Local Time: 04:17
try reading the boards before you post something like that: it's alreay been discussed in countless threads. And yes; the Vikings, Spain and Mongols are in. Korea too, I think. But no Jews
I think holding hands can be more erotic than 'slamming it in the ass' - Pekka, thinking that he's messed up
Old July 14, 2002, 14:09   #3
Sonic
Warlord

Local Time: 06:17
So, no one currently knows other four and it's just specualtion or is there somewhere full list?
Old July 14, 2002, 19:32   #4
Darkworld Ark
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Sonic
So, no one currently knows other four and it's just specualtion or is there somewhere full list?
no official list, although expect celts, turks, & possibly arabs, & koreans.
Old July 14, 2002, 20:24   #5
WarpStorm
King

Local Time: 23:17
Local Date: October 31, 2010
If I were to venture a guess based on the various threads here, I'd say it is these:

Ottomans
Arabs
Koreans
Mongols
Spanish
Vikings
Celts
Carthaginians

The bigger questions are what are UUs and traits of these civs?
Old July 15, 2002, 03:13   #6
Saras
Emperor

Local Time: 07:17
Re: What 8 civs will be added?
Quote:
Originally posted by Sonic
Does anyone knows?
If no, I'd suggest the following:

Khan Genghis and Mongols
Isabelle de Castille and Spain
Messiah Muhamet and Arabs
Kemal ata Turk and Ottoman Empire (Turks)
Erik the Red and Vikings
Duke Gediminas and Lithuanian Great Dutchment
King Solomon and Jews
Kim Il Sung and Koreans
Kunigaikštystė vadinasi Duchy. Žinau kad lievai skamba, bet ka padarysi . Ką tu parašei, tai gaunasi olandų mentas
Old July 15, 2002, 13:26   #7
Q Classic
Emperor

sonic...

kim il sung?
NO.

there are far more worthy leaders than that stalinist:
yi sun shin (military, so prolly a unit leader)
tangun (traditional founder)
king sejong the great (one responsible for many reforms, and the current written language)

don't just go by what is the most well known...

which is also why i don't like gandhi so much for india, i think some of the mughal leaders would be better.
Old July 15, 2002, 16:36   #8
dunk
Prince

Local Time: 00:17
Don't hurt me Zulu.
Old July 16, 2002, 18:24   #9
Saint Marcus
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 05:17
The Koreans?

I just hate it when game developers try to be PC. What a joke. Almost as bad as putting Joan d'Arc as Queen of France.
Old July 16, 2002, 18:43   #10
JtheJackal
Warlord

The Koreans are a perfectly good civ, there is nothing PC about it
Old July 16, 2002, 19:14   #11
WarpStorm
King

It's not PC, it's catering to a potential market. Nothing wrong with that in a capitalist society.
Old July 17, 2002, 08:39   #12
NeoStar
Warlord

Local Time: 14:17
Hey, if America gets in there with is two hundred year odd history where is AUSTRALIA? Bloody oath!

Our special unit could be a marine - the ANZACs from Gallipoli. They didn't take it but they gave 'em hell!
"Show me a man or a woman alone and I'll show you a saint. Give me two and they'll fall in love. Give me three and they'll invent the charming thing we call 'society'. Give me four and they'll build a pyramid. Give me five and they'll make one an outcast. Give me six and they'll reinvent prejudice. Give me seven and in seven years they'll reinvent warfare. Man may have been made in the image of God, but human society was made in the image of His opposite number, and is always trying to get back home." - Glen Bateman, The Stand (Stephen King)
Old July 17, 2002, 14:01   #13
Q Classic
Emperor

korea's not a good potential market then, they're not interested in TBS games. kinda hard to create teams and run tournaments with hundreds of people that last only a weekend.

and it's not PC. if it is, please explain it.
Old July 17, 2002, 20:54   #14
Darkworld Ark
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by NeoStar
Hey, if America gets in there with is two hundred year odd history where is AUSTRALIA? Bloody oath!

Our special unit could be a marine - the ANZACs from Gallipoli. They didn't take it but they gave 'em hell!
HAHAHAHAHAHA!!! That's hilarious... wait a minute, you were being serious weren't you? HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!
Old July 17, 2002, 23:32   #15
NeoStar
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Darkworld Ark

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!! That's hilarious... wait a minute, you were being serious weren't you? HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!
Laugh it up Bhutan boy, hope you dont fall off your mountain top.
"Show me a man or a woman alone and I'll show you a saint. Give me two and they'll fall in love. Give me three and they'll invent the charming thing we call 'society'. Give me four and they'll build a pyramid. Give me five and they'll make one an outcast. Give me six and they'll reinvent prejudice. Give me seven and in seven years they'll reinvent warfare. Man may have been made in the image of God, but human society was made in the image of His opposite number, and is always trying to get back home." - Glen Bateman, The Stand (Stephen King)
Old July 18, 2002, 00:45   #16
Darkworld Ark
Warlord

Quote:

Laugh it up Bhutan boy, hope you dont fall off your mountain top.
Bhutan's on a mountain?

I just chose it because of the crazy dragon on the flag, I mean, just look at him!

Last edited by Darkworld Ark; July 18, 2002 at 11:58.
Old July 18, 2002, 03:33   #17
NeoStar
Warlord

the ANZACs are something to laugh at?

AUSSIE pride WORLDWIDE

Last edited by NeoStar; July 18, 2002 at 03:39.
Old July 18, 2002, 12:31   #18
Darkworld Ark
Warlord

Quote:
the ANZACs are something to laugh at?
Anzacs? Never heard of them... perhaps they're French...
Old July 18, 2002, 18:01   #19
NeoStar
Warlord

ANZAC -Australian and New Zealand Army Corps - probably our most famous war heros

Whoa! What a mad flag! I couldn't see the dragon on the mini version under your name
Old July 18, 2002, 18:10   #20
NeoStar
Warlord

Oh yeah - I saw Bhutan on a travel show once, its surrounded by mountains. They dont embrace technology much either, so you couldn't be from there you obvoiusly have a computer
Old July 18, 2002, 20:26   #21
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 21:17
I love that the Mongols, Spanish, Turks ,& Celts are included but I'm at best luke warm on the rest. I'm down right against Korea. I'd much prefer to see Ethiopia or Inca then Korea as this would balance the culture groups better.

Still Korea is something like the fourth biggest software market in the world so I expect Firaxis to grovel for the cash.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old July 18, 2002, 22:48   #22
Darkworld Ark
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Oerdin
I love that the Mongols, Spanish, Turks ,& Celts are included but I'm at best luke warm on the rest. I'm down right against Korea. I'd much prefer to see Ethiopia or Inca then Korea as this would balance the culture groups better.

Still Korea is something like the fourth biggest software market in the world so I expect Firaxis to grovel for the cash.
What about the Vikings? Everybody 'loves' the Vikings!
Old July 19, 2002, 03:35   #23
NeoStar
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Oerdin
I'd much prefer to see Mongols, Spanish, Turks ,Celts ,Ethiopia...would balance the culture groups better
You'd rather Ethiopia than ANY nation in the Pacific?

Yeah that'd be right, you and the entire northern hemisphere. Oh well, I think Oceania's a culture group!
Old July 19, 2002, 08:51   #24
Q Classic
Emperor

Quote:
except, see, TBS games don't exactly sell well in korea... so firaxis's desire for cash won't pay off, so to speak. they don't seem to have a yen for the asian market.
Old July 19, 2002, 13:11   #25
snuggs
Chieftain

Arf arf.

To backstep a little, it HAS to be Canute for the Vikings. We need an Islamic civ or two, Arabs/Turks do nicely, and frankly I'd like to see the Incas replace the Iroquois.

I agree with those as don't like Firaxis' choice of Joan of Arc / Gandhi. Either some mogul (esp considering India's UU) or Ashoka would have been preferable in India's case.
Old July 19, 2002, 18:06   #26
The_Hawk
Chieftain

I don't get it. I just looked at a list of potential Civ additions: Spanish, Mongols, Vikings, Celts/Gauls, Carthaginians, Ottomans, Arabs, and Koreans.

Why not the Mayan civilization? They have given birth to major civilization improvements, wonders, and have made great contributions to religion, etc. I could see them as a Religious/Scientific type of nation, like the Babs. Any comments on this? It seems everyone loves to choose the civilized barbarian nations (Mongols, Vikings), but no additions for the peace-minded.
Old July 19, 2002, 19:56   #27
Darkworld Ark
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by The_Hawk
It seems everyone loves to choose the civilized barbarian nations (Mongols, Vikings), but no additions for the peace-minded.
The Maya were hardly a peace-minded civilization, in fact, acordding to recent discoveries, they were just as bad as the Aztecs when it came to human sacrifices.
Old July 19, 2002, 20:09   #28
Dimorier Maximus
Warlord

I don't like the Mayans cuz they were basically the Aztecs. I mean, they weren't, but they were. They are so close to the Aztecs and they mysteriously disappeared (possibly to become the Aztecs). I do like the Incas though. As far as peace minded playing, what about the Koreans? They never conquered great amounts of land.

I don't like that they probably put in both the Arabs AND the Turks in the same expansion. Especially when they already have the Babylonians in Arabia.
Old July 22, 2002, 06:38   #29
BigFurryMonster
PtWDG2 SunshineC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Team BabylonInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 05:17
Because there's no Mayan market to buy PtW... There is a Korean market, however.
Old July 22, 2002, 08:24   #30
Q Classic
Emperor

so there is a korean market.

however, how many times must it be reiterated that this korean market that is, to some of you people, the only possible justification and the sole reason for the koreans' inclusion, is almost non-existent for the turn based strategy gaming market.

see, if you actually bothered to research these statements you're making, you'll find that the korean gaming market is dominated by two types of gaming:
1. massively multiplayer online role playing
and
2. real-time/networked real time strategy.

last i checked, civ3 and ptw didn't fit into either category. my relatives and friends in korea aren't getting much ptw hype; nor are they particularly interested. so if there's this big korean market for ptw to crack, i'd like to see it.

you guys seem to be jumping to conclusions just because a few well-known titles (starcraft and diablo 2, for instance), sold spectacularly well in korea, and thus believe that only marketing considerations factor into its inclusion, while glibly ignoring all the evidence to the contrary and the non-market based merits of the civilization.