Old July 15, 2002, 01:04   #1
Lord Zalzabad
Warlord

Local Time: 04:20
Local Date: November 1, 2010
The Roman Epic Part 1; The Ghost of Thermopolie
This is the tale of my first, and perhaps best game of Civ 3. For those who can not be bothered reading the entire thing online, go to the last age of the story, and you will find a downloadable version in Word format. So sit back, and enjoy part one of The Roman Epic, The Ghost of Thermopolie

400 years ago…

The fields were soaked in blood riderless horses galloped across the plain, thier riders in a pile of decomposing bodies, at the feet of the Hopites. They were the last line of defense for the besieged city, however, they were victorious. They had driven back the most advanced and powerful army in the world. Now, as the bloodied Roman Knights prepared for one last charge at the victorious Hopites, The Greek commander congratulated himself at a victory well earned for the great Alexander. Ever since the dawn of time, Roman Troops had hounded his people, and today would be the day they stood back, and said, “No More”, and reclaim the lands that were rightfully theirs. A trumpet sounded, but not from the Knights, it came from behind the Hopites. The commander turned around, only to see the front end of a sword, swinging directly at his face…

The Battle of Thermopile was a battle long remembered in Roman History, both militarily, and politically.
The Armies of General Avaris Cassius were annihilated, only to be saved by Marshal Caesar's Imperial Guard, commanded by Captain Marius Brutus. This victory by the imperialists also marked an end for the long reign of the Republican Consul, Cicero. His hopes for the coming senatorial elections were riding on the outcome of that battle. One man replaced him, Caesar.

(Role music, and Title Screen)

Pease post your replies, part II to come tomorrow (If I remember)

Last edited by Lord Zalzabad; December 13, 2002 at 07:56.
Old July 15, 2002, 07:21   #2
Lord Zalzabad
Warlord

Now for the next installment, however, it may be a bit dialoge heavy
Old July 15, 2002, 07:23   #3
Lord Zalzabad
Warlord

Part 1, the DebateThree years ago, Rome.

“As you know Caesar, we are the most advanced nation in the world. At present, we are developing a new weapon, the Tanki. It is like a…”
“I know what a Tanki does, you fool, what I want to know is how long is it before we have a working copy?” yelled Caesar into Caius, his science advisors ear.
“Well, that depends…” replied Caius cautiously, remembering what happened to the previous science advisors head.
“On what!”
“Well, the availability of resources for one…”
“Rome has all it needs!”
“Don’t worry, Caesar!” intervened Marshal Marcus Brutus, “We will have enough Tanki for your plan”
“Oh, good,” replied Caesar, calming down, and returning to his comic book, “the Adventures of Alex the Greek”. Brutus led Caius out of the room.
“Its best not to disturb Caesar when he is studying” said Brutus to Caius.
“Studying? And what was that plan you were talking about?”
“You will find out, in time Caius, in time…”
“You mean at today’s advisors meeting?” There was a long pause…
“Yes” replied Brutus

“Welcome my fellow advisors! We have gathered you together today for an important announcement” proclaimed Caesar triumphantly to the assembled advisors, “Brutus, the plan!”
“Very well, Caesar, this is the plan”
“What plan?” cried out Calpurnia, the foreign advisor.
“For many years,” started Brutus, “we have been the Greatest nation in the world, however, by lack of planning by our Republican friends many years ago, we decided not to settle the great southern jungle. Now, however, we have discovered that this region holds many prospects for resources that we may gain.”
“But,” piped up Caius, “didn’t our great leader say to me earlier that Rome had all the resources it needed?”
“Yes, Caius, he did, but the southern jungle holds great riches in Coal…”
“And,” replied Pompey, the Trade Advisor, adding two and two together, “That would give us a virtual monopoly on coal… But wouldn’t that mean attacking Egypt?”
“In order to make an omelet, some eggs have to be broken” replied Caesar, smiling gleefully, like a child about to receive candy.
“But sire,” yelled Calpurnia, “we have been at peace with the Egyptians since the beginning of time! They were our allies’ intill a few years ago! We can’t attack them!”
“Calpurnia has a point, my noble lord” replied Caius.
“But, with all the worlds coal under our command, we will be able to monopolize it, sell it for what ever price we want, even control the growth of our rivals!” Pompey said, enthusiastically. There was silence from the throne of Caesar, then “Marshal Brutus?”
“Yes, my lord”
“Prepare a plan for the invasion of Eastern Egypt, with the goal of securing their coal reserves”
“The troops are already in position, my liege”
“Then why don’t you attack!”
“We are waiting on the Tanki, My lord.”
“Very well, as soon as we have enough Tanki, we will commence the operation”
“But aren’t you going to put this to the Senate?” said Calpurnia.
“What would those windbags do? Just debate it and throw it out? Bah! Jus get to it, Brutus”
“Very well, my lord”
Calpurnia had to tell someone, this was far too important to keep from the Senate…
Old July 15, 2002, 08:07   #4
civman2000
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesDiplomacyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 22:20
Local Date: October 31, 2010
pretty good

"This should be the question they ask you before you get to vote. If you answer 'no', then they brand you with a giant red 'I' on your forehead and you are forever barred from taking part in the electoral process again."--KrazyHorse
"I'm so very glad KH is Canadian."--Donegeal
Old July 23, 2002, 09:31   #5
Lord Zalzabad
Warlord

Thanks, but it will get better, just laying the intro, the rest will fall into place soon. Sorry about the lack of updates, will be soon
Old July 27, 2002, 01:45   #6
Lord Zalzabad
Warlord

The harbor at Veii was peaceful for a change. General Cassius looked out on the harbor, seeing the entire southern fleet in anchor, the Roma, the Veii, the Pompeii... a bell rang from above him in the lighthouse, the bell that signified the arrival of more ships. Cassius looked over the crystal blue bay, between the legs of the ancient Colossus, the protector and guardian of the city, and saw a plume of smoke rising from over the horizon. The General once more looked at the anchored Southern Fleet, counting all the ships, and looked again at the plume of smoke... what could it be? He immediately rushed to the Admiralty in the city to find out what was wrong.

Being a General, and commander of the Southern Armies, General Cassius gained direct access to Admiral Scipio’s office.
“Cassius! I did not know you were in town! What gives me the honour of seeing you here?” asked the Admiral as Cassius entered the room. “Look out the window, Scipio, there is an unknown fleet heading for the city!” replied Cassius.
“Didn’t you know? Our great and glorious leader, Caesar, ordered the Northern and Eastern Fleets to the city, however, for what reasons I do not know.” Scipio said with a smirk, knowing the Generals feelings about Caesar.
“That bastard child! How does he think we’ll protect the Northern Seas from pirates, and protect the eastern trade routes from Chinese raiders?” replied Cassius, furiously.
“I suppose you have a point there, however, I doubt the French navy will be much of a problem” said Scipio, and adding, “This came to you from a Calpurnia someone…” Scipio handed over a letter, “and I’ll see you later.”

Cassius was puzzled. He had not heard from his sister in law for some years, ever since the wedding. Why would she suddenly want to talk to him now? He returned to the seaside bar where he was before, the Eastern fleet now passing the Colossus, and read.

“I’m sorry I have not talked to you for a while, but now, I believe you are the only person I can trust.” Bah, thought Cassius, why send him a letter now? “ I must meet with you in private, please be at the Consul Café on Prima Actum next Thursday” Prima Actum? That was in Rome! Cassius immediately headed for the Railway station for the first train to Rome.
Old July 27, 2002, 02:30   #7
Lord Zalzabad
Warlord

Thursday was market day. Calpurnia walked slowly down the Prima Actum, towards the Consul Café, to meet her fate. The hustle and the bustle going on around her helped calm her nerves. Se was about to commit the most grievous act, Treason. Caesar, this time, had gone too far this time, to attack such a good ally that would be murder. If only… “Long time no see, Calpurnia, my love” a familiar voice sounded from behind her back. Pompey the creep, she thought, “keep away from me you creep, I said no before, so keep away!” yelled Calpurnia at the prominent Senator.
“Be quiet, Calpurnia, I have a reputation to keep…” said Pompey, quietly.
“The reputation of molesting children?” replied Calpurnia. This got some passers by attention; ears turned in their direction. “Be quiet you fool! You said you would keep that a secret…”
“Only if you left me alone”. Pompey raised his hand to hit Calpurnia, but it got no higher
“Is anything the trouble here, young lady?” said an officer of the Republican Guard, grabbing the hand of the Senator. Calpurnia recognised him immediately; it was her husbands’ brother, General Caius Cassius.
“Hitting a woman is assault, Senator, and even you are not immune to the law,” said Cassius, in a silent, yet terrifying tone to onlookers, “Go before I have to kill you” Cassius let Pompey down, and the Senator sulked back into the crowd. “Thank-you, Caius, you saved me!” cried out Calpurnia
“Calpurnia?”

The two of them sat at a roadside table, watching the midmorning rush of shoppers to buy their daily goods. “Thank you, Caius for coming, and thank you once more for your help this morning” Said Calpurnia, as the waiter served the Coffee. “Any time, Calpurnia, now, might I ask, why did you call me here?” said Cassius, in a slightly angry tone. Cassius was once proposed to Calpurnia, but on their wedding day, she ran off with his now deceased brother. He had not seen her since that day, and still held a lot of resentment for her. “You are the only person in this city I can trust. I can’t trust the Senators, I can’t trust anyone in the army, I can’t even trust my own son”
“Then why can you trust me?” said Cassius
“Oh, Caius, I can’t, however, the information I will give you could, if used correctly, topple Caesar”
“Then why didn’t you give it to the Press?”
“They wouldn’t use it properly, however…”
“No, I will not take it”
“Please, just look at it, and you can use it how you like” With this, Calpurnia stood up, and walked off into the crowd, towards the Capitol.
“Calpurnia, you left you briefcase behind!” but it was too late. Cassius turned and headed for Central Station, to head on a train to his base at Ravenna, holding the briefcase.

The city of Rome soon left the sight of the train, but General Cassius did not notice. He did not respond to the usher’s offer of drinks, he did not respond to the 3-hour delay. Ten hours out of Rome, Cassius lifted his head from the document he had been reading, Operation Cassius.
“Oh my God” he said in a shocked voice, placing the document back into the briefcase.
Old July 27, 2002, 17:08   #8
TheGuitarist
Warlord

Local Time: 23:20
Very good!

Keep it up.
Old July 29, 2002, 23:36   #9
Lord Zalzabad
Warlord

But wait, I havn't even got to the War yet...
Old July 30, 2002, 05:59   #10
Lord Zalzabad
Warlord

Present day

The city disappeared over the horizon. General Cassius looked at his Chief of Staff, who only nodded in return. There was only one reason for Marshal Brutus calling this meeting in Pisae. He had forgotten all about the document Calpurnia gave him two years ago, intill the call for a general meeting at Eastern Military Command. He looked down at the document before him, and started to read it for the fifth time since Ravenna.

Caius looked over the Forum, out towards the Capitol. He was worrying. He knew his fate. However, someone had to tell him. “Science Advisor Caius, Caesar will see you now” said the chief of Caesar's Guard, Captain Marius. Caius took a deep breath, and stepped in.

“So, Admiral Scipio, how is your son going in the Imperial Guard?” General Graccis said to the Admiral, sitting in the plush couch opposite him, in the reception room of Marshal Brutus’ headquarters. “He’s made it up to Calvary Captain in the Imperial Guard, I’m so proud of him… ah, Cassius, long time no see!” Said Scipio as the General entered the room. “Yes, Scipio, has it been what, two years?” replied Cassius
“Yes, and of course you know General Graccis, commander of the Northeastern Section” Said Scipio
“Yes, we were in the same class. Where is everyone else?” said Cassius
“They did not have to be here, General Cassius” said Marshal Brutus, standing in the doorway to his study, “Please, follow me, gentleman.”

“Caesar! Science Advisor Caius is here to see you” said Captain Marius
“Enter Caius” replied the deep voice from within.
“Caesar,” started Caius, “we have a problem”
“What problem”, replied Caesar, angrily.

“For some time, gentlemen, we have been planing an invasion of Egypt” started Brutus, amid shock from the three assembled commanders. Cassius smiled to himself, knowing what would come next.
“Why is this, Brutus?” voiced up Graccis.
“We need to monopolize the coal reserves located there, hence controlling the market and development of the world” replied Brutus
“Why am I here if this is a military invasion?” said Scipio, puzzled.
“The operation will involve an amphibious assault on the southern coast of the Egyptian Republic” said Brutus, boastfully
“What will the operation involve?” said Cassius, knowing the reply only too well…

Operation Cassius

Main Goals
To seize the Western portion of the Egyptian Republic, hence monopolizing the supply of coal, and creating an invasion base for a possible attack on Russia.

OperationThe Eastern Army will be divided into 3 groups

Group South East, Commander Marshal Brutus
Main objective; split Egyptian empire in two at Buto, also seizing the port of Alexandria
Largest Army group, based in Giza 30 divisions, 1000 artillery pieces, 10 Cavalry Brigades

Group East, Commander, General Graccis
Main objective; to seize the border cities of Memphis and Hielopolus to create buffer and diversion
Based Pisae, 10 divisions, 10 Cavalry Brigades, 200 artillery pieces

Group South, Commander, General Cassius
Main Objective; to capture the strategic Trade City of Avaris, and mop up all other cities, will command the Amphibious forces, and co-operate with Admiral Scipio’s fleet, which will bombard the coast
Based Ravenna, 20 divisions, (15 infantry, 5 Amphibious) 700 Artillery pieces, 20 Cavalry brigades

Graccis looked up from the document. “But studies we have conducted have proved Cavalry is no match for infantry, without sustaining heavy losses” he said
“Oh yes, but that is when the Tanki come in to the picture…”

“What is the problem with the Tanki?” said Caesar. He was getting very angry, and Caius was getting very scared.
“Well, the Tanki are completed…”
“Well then deploy them to the front!”
“That’s the problem, we cant”
“Why not!”
“We don’t have anything to power them”
“What! Is the Coal supply run out?”
“No sir, it’s just”
“Just what!”
“It doesn’t use coal, it uses a new type of fuel, called Oil”
“Well then mine it!”
“But we don’t have any, sir”
“Who does then?”
“France does,” said Senator Pompey, the Trade Advisor entering the room from a darkened passage on the side.
“Well then get it! Call Brutus right now”
“But he’s not here, he’s in Pisae” said Marius, following Pompey into the room.

“So that is the plan, Brutus?” Scipio asked
But Brutus had no time to respond, as his Aide entered the room, “Sir, there is an emergency”
Old July 30, 2002, 17:10   #11
ChrisiusMaximus
Civilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The HordeC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GameCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG éirich tuireann
Emperor

Local Time: 05:20
This is getting better and better ,cant wait for the next installment.
A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.
Old July 30, 2002, 20:52   #12
dnassman
Warlord

Local Time: 14:20
Very good and it is getting better and better.
Old August 11, 2002, 23:04   #13
Lord Zalzabad
Warlord

Cassius was back in Ravenna, wondering, why Brutus was called back to Rome. He knew Caesar knew Operation Cassius was Brutus’ masterpiece, and he wondered why. Why was Brutus called back to Rome… if only he knew.

“Cancelled?” yelled Brutus, angrily in Caesar's direction, “how can you cancel my masterpiece!’
“Brutus, calm down! It is not canceled, only delayed,” said Senator Pompey in a meaningful tone. Brutus saw a smirk on Pompey’s face. He knew Pompey was up to no good, just what…
“Brutus, are you listening!” shouted Caesar. Brutus woke up with a startle. “You have a new plan, to be implemented immediately,” said Caesar, triumphantly. “You are to make a plan to attack France to seize the Oil fields around Lyons…”
“What’s “OIL”, Caesar?” Brutus interrupted.
“It is like coal, but more efficient, and we need it to power our new Tanki” said Pompey.
“Move your forces up from Fort Constantine to the northern border with France, and precede on to Tours, which you should capture immediately, using surprise. The southern army group, under General Cassius will protect the Western district from surprise attacks, while General Graccis will support you, and besiege Paris. Your main forces will bypass the city, and launch an attack on Lyons, capturing the city, and hence the oil. We will then proceed to export oil to our Empire, and we will bring up Tanki to support your actions, and wipe out the enemy” said Caesar, grinning at his perceived genius.
“Yes, Caesar, The French are a primitive desert dwelling race and your mighty armies should be no match for their puny pikemen” said Pompey.
“Very well, it shall be done, but shouldn’t we consult the rest of the Advisors?” questioned Brutus.
“No, we won’t, we want the attack to be a surprise” said Pompey. This Pompey was gaining too much sway over Caesar, and he had to talk to someone, someone he could trust. Pompey walked down to Central Station, and said to the Driver of his private train, “take me to Ravenna, via Pompeii”

Could he trust Cassius? Could Cassius betray him? Brutus knew how much Cassius hated Caesar and himself, that was public knowledge, but what Brutus did know that the public did not was Cassius hated Pompey more. Brutus hardly looked at the blue tropical ocean he was passing by, and continued towards Ravenna, with Pompeii fading into the horizon, with his conscience tossing around in his head.

“Why did you come to see me, Brutus?” said Cassius, looking down from the border Fortress where his base was located, into Avaris itself.
“I have a very big problem, Cassius”
“What is it?”
“I know you hate me and Caesar, and I know why, it is those Ghosts of Thermopile that are still haunting you, is it not?”
“So what? Your ancestors defeated mine in the field of combat, I must carry on the sacred hate for your families”
“Pompey is planing a coup.”
“Good, then you and Caesar can go…”
“No, you fool, he does not wish to just kill me and Caesar, he is planning to destroy the last remnants of you beloved Republic!” This made Cassius turn around and look into Brutus’ eyes. There was pure fear in them. Cassius knew something was wrong.
“Please keep this quiet Cassius, I will not be able to protect Caesar and the Republic, as Operation Cassius has been scrubbed.”
“Then where will you be?”
“Conducting a new campaign against France, Operation Teach those Frenchies a lesson”
“I take it by the name Caesar came up with the idea”
“Yes, he did. You are in command of the Western Armies, and I plead you to protect Rome. If not for Caesar's sake, then for the sake of the Republic.” With this, Brutus turned and walked out he door he entered through. Cassius had no idea how far the plot had gone, but this; he decided would be a chance to kill two birds with one stone. Cassius turned, and left the roof of the Fort, through the opposite door that Brutus did.
Old August 11, 2002, 23:06   #14
Lord Zalzabad
Warlord

I will not update this story again intill the weekend
Old August 12, 2002, 23:24   #15
Lord Zalzabad
Warlord

I just couldn't help myself, and so, the war begins...

Three Days Later, Fort Caesar, Northern Border Region

“Range, 50km. Marshal sir, on your word?” Brutus sighed at these words. He did not want war with France; he wanted war with Egypt. He turned to the artillery commander, and just nodded his head in reply to his question.

Captain Perrie looked out over his drilling pike-men. His scout’s report indicated large movements at Fort Caesar, and Egyptian intelligence just coming in suggested the planned attack on Egypt had been cancelled. In addition, spies at the nearby Roman City of Lugium had reinforced his scout’s reports, indicating a massing of artillery at the Fort. Perrie knew something was coming, just what… He looked out towards the beautiful oasis town of Tours, and looked again at his pike-men. Then, from the eastern horizon, he saw a river of fire erupt.

“All targets hit, Marshal!” said the artillery Commander triumphantly.
“Very good. Go tell Graccis to begin the Cavalry Change towards the City, and fire off another round,” replied Brutus.

Perrie looked at the once beautiful city of Tours. The marketplace and the courthouse had been hit, as had the city walls. Another river of fire erupted from the east, and took out the barracks. Perrie left the tower where he was standing, since it was an obvious target, and gathered up as many citizens and soldiers as he could muster. “Get all the arms and horses as you can, people, we must protect our city from the Roman Juggernaut,” yelled Perrie to the assembled masses, and pulling aside Lieutenant Neville, “Ride to Paris immediately! Tell them that Tours has fallen to the Roman Armies. Hurry, ride to our heroine Joan de Arc, and warn them!” Neville saluted his commander, and rode off to the west, rode off to Paris. It would be, he thought, the last time he would ever see the town at which he was born. Those Romans would pay for this!

General Graccis, at the command of Marshal Brutus ordered his cavalry forward. The defenses and garrison should have been destroyed. He would ride triumphantly into the City, leading his cavalry force. The infantry would follow them, and be in the City by tomorrow to crush resistance. He would be at the city by nightfall.

Perrie had positioned his men well. A Company of pike-men was entrenched near the oasis, with 3 brigades of Musketeers hiding in the Trees surrounding the oasis. Bowmen were stationed on the ruined walls, and ordered not to fire intill the enemy was within the walls, with Swordsmen protecting the stairways to the walls. Graccis, on the other hand, did not suspect any resistance, let alone an ambush. The stage was set for the first battle in the war, the Battle for Tours.
Old August 13, 2002, 05:43   #16
Coracle
Prince

Local Time: 23:20
You ought to submit a story ( a true one) to a military history magazine. You write well.
Old August 14, 2002, 23:59   #17
Lord Zalzabad
Warlord

“General, we are approaching Tours” said a Captain, “and it seems to be deserted.”
“Very well, Captain, I shall lead my forces victoriously into the City” said Graccis

“They’re here, Captain Perrie” said one of the horsemen, a blacksmith by trade, but called to arms for the defense of his city.
“Thank you. We shall ride out around them, and flank them from the rear” said Perrie as the horsemen set off for battle.

Graccis saw that this city was once a beautiful medieval city, as he rode through the gate. He saw that the artillery had done much damage to the city and… “Sir, did you hear that?” said the Captain
“No, must be your ears” Graccis replied, “and anywa…” Graccis did not finish what he was saying, as an arrow drove right into his skull. With that, a hail of arrows rained down on the troops. The Captain was now in command, “Retreat, no, take the walls, yes do that, shoot at them, no not over there! Shoot at the enemy, shoot…” but the Captain too was felled by an arrow. The remaining Cavalry units retreated from the city, only to find a company of Pikemen there to stop them. The Lieutenant now in command was way over his head. “Surrender yourselves, and you will live, do not, and you will die!” said the commander of the Pikemen. The Lieutenant did not know what to do he surrendered, unconditionally.

Publius and Flavius were cavalrymen. They were not in the city when the ambush was set, they, and their entire squad were outside. They were the last two alive after a hail of musketballs fired in their direction, killing almost everyone. They were fleeing, trying to get to the advancing infantry to warn them of the ambush, and the fate of the Ninth Cavalry Brigade. They must get there, they must!

The commander drew his sword out of the last Cavalryman. He smiled at the scarlet bodies lying around him. This will teach them from attacking us, thought the Commander. He turned to the rest of his men, and yelled, “If the Captain asks, they all died with their swords in their hands!”

Flavius rode over the crest of the barren hill, to see a division of advancing infantrymen marching in the distance. “Publius, this way! I’ve found them”

Captain Perrie’s cavalry force rode up to the city, preparing to flank the retreating enemy. He was surprised. The ground was littered with the bodies of the Ninth Imperial Cavalry Brigade, with very few of his own troops amongst them. Perrie approached the City.

“Marshal, sir! We have just been informed that the Ninth Cavalry has been animated, along with General Graccis!” a Sargent said to Brutus.
“How did they do it? I thought we hit the barracks!”
“It was a civilian militia, sir.”
Brutus turned to his Artillery commander and said, “Blast the city to cinders”

Something from the eastern horizon caught Perrie’s eye as they were approaching the city, a river of fire. “Fall back! Fall back to Paris!” he yelled, galloping off towards the West as Tours erupted into a sea of bricks and fire behind them.

Captain Scipio of the Imperial Guards rode up to the hill overlooking the city, where Perrie stood hours before him. The once beautiful city of Tours was now unrecognizable. There were still fires burning, with charred corpses everywhere. He shook his head, and raised the white flag, the flag to signify that the city had been pacified.

Lieutenant Neville had never rode so fast, and for so long in his life. He knew the fate of France was in his hands. The Gates to Paris were open, as they always were, and Neville rode into the darkened streets. There was very little activity going on at this time of night, and Neville found the citadel fast, although it was his first time in the capital. He rode passed the Royal Musketeers protecting the gate without saying a word. Into the Cathedral he went, Joan de Arc was always at church at this time of night, only to be confronted by the Queens Chancellor, Joseph Joffre. “Who are you and what are you doing here?” the Chancellor said.
Old August 15, 2002, 23:22   #18
Lord Zalzabad
Warlord

The next day,

It was a cold morning in Bordeaux, on the French-Egyptian border. This had been the traditional battleground for the two nations, but today they were not there for war, today they were there for survival. Joffre had ridden non-stop from Paris since he heard from the invasion to meet General Ramses to discuss the previous day’s events.
“This is not about ancient rivalry, Ramses, it is about our very existence!” yelled Joffre in Ramses general direction.
“As I said before, Joffre, we do not have the ability to attack Rome! The Northern and Central Armies may have left their positions, but General Cassius’ Southern Armies have taken these positions up. Even with everything we’ve got, we will be crushed!” replied Ramses, in a bitter tone.
“Cassius you say?” Joffre thought about this for a moment, “Maybe we can use him to our advantage.”
“What do you mean?”
“He is a vocal anti Caesar supporter isn’t he?”
“Yes, and the only reason he’s still there is that he is popular with the Senate… you might have a point there, and we will see what we can do. However, the only aid we can give you is in the form of technology, gold and supplies” replied Ramses.
“Very well, then, let it be done.”
“Yes, I will present my recommendation to the Supreme Council of the Egyptian Republic, and President Cleopatra for immediate implementation”

The scarlet flag of Rome flew over the camp outside the Ruins of Tours. In his command tent, Marshal Brutus looked over his plans for the coming months again. With Graccis dead, he would have to promote someone else up to the rank of General. In addition, one of his elite Cavalry Brigades was destroyed. “This is a disaster,” said Brutus under his breath, heard by no one, over the screams of the traitorous Cavalrymen who left their brothers in arms to die. They would not do it again. This will prove to be a lesson to those who wish to disobey the orders of Brutus.

Captain Perrie and his troops arrived into Paris that evening, however, unlike normally, the gates was closed. A lone officer guarded the gate. Perrie hailed him, and asked, “Why are the gates closed”
“Have not you heard, sir, we are at war with Rome. They have captured Tours and could be here any day!”
“We just came from there, and we must speak to the High Command”
“Well in that case, then, you better enter” the guardsman rang a bell, and the gate opened.

Perrie entered the candle lit room, with the aging generals of the Queen huddled around a map, and a table.
The guardsman who accompanied them banged his pike on the ground to announce Captain Perrie’s arrival. “Captain Perrie, commander of the Garrison at Tours is here to see you sirs”
“Tours? But wasn’t the city taken?” said one General, with a snow-white moustache.
“No, general,” replied Perrie, “It was blown to the ground.”
“How?” said another General and Perrie told the story of the battle. Told how the preliminary bombing hit the barracks, told how the civilian militia fought bravely to defeat the invaders, told of how the city was blown to but mortar and flames. “Very interesting.” The said Joan de Arc, who was sitting in the corner, Perrie did not notice her intill then, and he bowed low at her presence.
“There’s no need for that, Brigadier” she said
“But I’m only a Captain” said Perrie
“You’re a brigadier now, and I have the perfect assignment for you” she replied. They looked down at the map on the table that revealed the plan.

Main army will divide into two groups. Group A will comprise of 70% of all pikemen, 90% of the Royal Musketeers, the entire Knight force to be based at Mount Arc, to the east of Paris. The City’s garrison will remain in Paris. Intelligence indicates goal is Lyons. Remnants of army to be based there. Advancing columns will be harassed by swordsmen and horsemen to help disrupt supply and slow down movement.

Brigadier Perrie looked up from the plan, “Where do I fit in all of this?”
“You and your men will be based in Bordeaux,” said Joan de Arc
“Why there?”
“You will find out when the time is right, you leave in the morning with a company 1000 men strong”

It was near midnight in Rome. Cassius got off the train after a long trip from Ravenna. He looked around, and saw who he was looking for. “Come with me. You look tired, and should rest. We will discuss what you want to talk about in the morning” said the mysterious man. He turned, and left the platform. Cassius followed.
Old August 25, 2002, 01:12   #19
Lord Zalzabad
Warlord

Will continue the story sometime soon, just a little case of writers block
Old September 1, 2002, 08:59   #20
ChrisiusMaximus
Civilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The HordeC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GameCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG éirich tuireann
Emperor

Look forward to your next installment
A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.
Old September 6, 2002, 07:34   #21
Lord Zalzabad
Warlord

Ok! writers block over! Now where was I...
------------------------------------------------------------------------

The sun had not even risen over the horizon, and the gates of Paris were open once more. One thousand troops rode out of the city, towards the south, lead by their courageous commander, Brigadier Perrie. They rode off not knowing what to expect. Not even their commander knew. All he knew was that he was heading for the border town of Bordeaux.

The golden temples glistened in the morning sunlight, as General Ramses approached Thebes. The city, larger than Paris, famous for its wine and silk, and the grandest city in the world, was not walled, as there had been no enemies for millennia. His chariot rolled down the central avenue to the largest building in the city, the building of the Supreme Council. Here he would plead his case to the men who would decide the fate of not only the continent but also of the entire planet.

The sun rose over the ruins of Tours, the scarlet flags fluttering in the wind. The night watch retired, only to be replaced by the morning guard. Brutus watched all this, from the hastily prepared guard tower. Those citizens of Tours that had not been killed in the bombardment had begun to return to their devastated city, passing through the ruined gate, to their smoldering homes beyond. Brutus smiled at this, and turned to Captain Scipio. “We will have to advance soon, while we still have the element of surprise” he said to Scipio, who replied, “Marshal, sir, some of the citizens report of a messenger who left the city shortly before Graccis entered the city, I’m sure we have already lost the element of surprise”
“Well, that means we will have to advance today”
“But sir, the troops are hardly rested!” said the newly promoted General Lepidus, joining the Marshal, and his Captain. “Well, the Imperial Cavalry has been here almost a day, and are rested plenty. Scipio, you lead an advance party to the Mountain of Arc. The remainder of the Cavalry follows shortly. Your goal, Scipio, is to destroy all resistance on the Road to the mountain, clearing the path for the main Army, who will seize the peak as a base for our artillery for the bombardment of Paris. Lepidus, your troops will follow there after, with your central goal of capturing Paris. The Imperial Cavalry will then advance onto Lyons, and capture the oil supply, and hence the war will be ours” finished Brutus.
“General,” said Lepidus, “I believe that the French would of mobilized their army, and will have it waiting for us”
“Nonsense!” replied Brutus, “It will take at least four weeks for their army to mobilize.”
“And of the Egyptians, I fear them,” said Lepidus
“The Egyptians? What can they do?” replied Brutus. Laughing, he left the tower. Lepidus glanced at Scipio, who just shook his head. They could both see disaster looming.

Dashing up the stairs, Ramses ignored the guard, and made his way into the Council Room “Who are you, and what are you doing here?” said an old councilor
“I have no time to explain, I must speak” said Ramses, pushing the elderly man out of the way, and took the floor.

“Gentlemen of Thebes! Long have we lived on the bounties of prosperity, freedom, and peace! But now, a shadow looms over us. A dark force encroaches, wishing to destroy us, and all we have worked so hard to build! A great Master of Evil has released the dogs of war apon the land. That evil is Caesar!” With this, the Council rose in jeers and abuse.
“Rome has done us no wrong!” a Councilor said.
“Why should we harm them?” said another.
“My friends, Two days ago the Plague of Rome crossed into the Desert Empire of France, destroying the city of Tours, and slaughtering its civilians. We all know that France is not their ultimate goal, it is Thebes! They only want the Oil that France holds! We may have had differences with the French many millennia ago, but now we are united against the common evil of Rome. Councilors! Do not hesitate! Now is not the time for debate! In order for us to survive, we must destroy the Virus of Rome! We are too weak to challenge them directly, but I propose to assist the French with technology, gold, and arms!” Ramses finished quite confidant of himself.
“We will have a vote on the matter of Rome.” Said the Chair of the Council, thereby the head of state, Cleopatra. “All those who wish to face the Roman Juggernaut to my right, and all those who wish to submit into slavery, to my left” Naturally, most of the councilors went to the left, not wanting to look submissive. “Then it is agreed,” she said, “Ramses, could I please see you?” Ramses nodded, and followed her into her anteroom,
Old September 7, 2002, 01:18   #22
Lord Zalzabad
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Lord Zalzabad
submit into slavery, to my left” Naturally, most of the councilors went to the left, not wanting to look submissive.
Opps, the coucilors are suppose to go to the right!
Old September 7, 2002, 01:20   #23
Lord Zalzabad
Warlord

Cassius awoke late that morning. The room he was in was a large and roomy bedroom. He looked to the end of the bed, to see his clothes washed and folded on the end of his bed, he looked to his right, and saw a silver platter, with a steaming hot breakfast on it. He looked to the left, and saw a smiling girl, little more than 18 years old. “The Senator will see you when you’re ready” she said. Turning, she left the room. Cassius gobbled up breakfast speedily, and got dressed.

Ramses sat down in the plush chair, and faced Cleopatra’s desk. “So, Ramses,” she said, “I hope you have a plan for this”
“Yes, madam Chair. We will assist France with Funds, technology and weapons. However, I believe that it will take a lot more to overcome this Rome. “
“How do you mean?”
“We cannot win by destroying the tentacles of the Virus since the source is still there.”
“So, in order to destroy the virus, we must take out the head. By that you mean Caesar?”
“Yes.”
“How do you mean to accomplish that?”
Ramses smiled and explained his plan.

The morning guard retired, to be replaced by the afternoon guard. Through the Gates of Tours, rode a company of Imperial Cavalry, heading West, towards a tall peak in the distance. “What is so important about this mountain?” said one Cavalryman to another.
“Legends say that this mountain is where Queen Joan got her vision from “God” to lead France to victory” replied another. Hearing this, Scipio said, “It is because of this, I believe that we may face stiff resistance there. We must be careful, and not bite off more than we can chew, remember what happened to Graccis.”
“Yes, sir” they said, riding onward towards the Mountain of Arc.

Cassius followed the girl, Portia, who lead him to the Senators study, “Senator Cicero is waiting for you, Sir,” she said, smiling and opening the door for him.
“Well, I must say this is a surprise to see you here, Cassius” said Cicero, smiling.
“Yes, it has been a long time, hasn’t it?”
“Too long, Portia, could you get us some wine?”
“Yes, father.” She left the room.
“Now, Cassius, what did you want to talk about?”
“It’s about the campaign in France.”
“What campaign in France?”
“You don’t know?”
“Obviously”
“Well then, let me explain…” But at that time, Portia returned with the wine.
“Thank you, Portia, that will be all”
“Yes father.”
With her gone, Cassius explained about what happened.

“That is a good plan, Ramses, we shall send supplies up to Bordeaux, while you organize the plot we just discussed,” said Cleopatra to Ramses, looking out towards the Temple to Ra, and continuing, “we will call it Operation Ra.”
“Yes, madam chair.” Ramses left the room at once.

“By Jupiter!” said Cicero, shocked at what he heard, “Caesar must be mad! How come the press don’t know?”
“Perhaps, Caesar wants to keep this one quiet.”
“Very well, Cassius, you return to Ravenna, and wait for my plan. I will inform the media of this atrocity. Portia!”
“Yes father,” said Portia entering the room.
“Take General Cassius back to the railway station. Cassius, I will contact you with my plan soon.”
Portia lead Cassius out of the room.
Old September 8, 2002, 08:30   #24
Lord Zalzabad
Warlord

Cicero arrived at the Consul Café shortly after Cassius and Portia had left his house. It was only a short walk, and he knew that was where many reporters lurked. He sat down in a corner booth, and waited, watching the customers enter and exit, waiting for a reporter to arrive. “Marius Cicero, long time no see” said a voice from the booth next to him. Cicero recognized the voice immediately. It was his old friend, Catiline, reporter for the Veii Times. “Catiline, my old friend, it has been a long time”
“That it has” replied Catiline, moving into Cicero’s booth.
“I have a very interesting scoop for you, Catiline”
“And what is that?”
“Well, you see…”

“General, sir, father asked me to accompany you on your trip, as I’ll be the messenger between you two” Portia said as Cassius approached the station. “Do you think it is wise for you to come?” replied Cassius, as he walked up to the ticket booth. “Father has faith in me, and he is wise”
“Very well then, two tickets, first class to Ravenna”
“Yes, General, the train leaves in ten minutes” said the man at the ticket booth. The two of them headed for the train, passing the Newsagents. Portia looked down at the cover of the prestigious Veii Times, evening edition, “Biggest thing since Bread. Sliced Bread! (A Times exclusive)”
“You shouldn’t look at that sort of junk, Portia,” said Cassius, “We will be there by midnight, so you better get a good sleep on the train.”

The editor looked down at the telegram that had just arrived from Rome. He read it, while pacing a catwalk over the printing presses, where the nighttime edition of his paper was being printed. “STOP PRESS!” yelled the editor, as he finished reading the Telegram, “This is the biggest thing since Sliced Bread!”

The sun had set, and Brigadier Perrie looked out over the darkened town of Bordeaux. He turned to see if all his men were there, and waved them forward into the city. Perrie was expecting a goods night sleep, but he was wrong. “Brigadier, orders from Paris,” said a young guardsman as they approached the city gates. Perrie opened the envelope, and read his orders, turning to his men, he said, “No stopping now, it’s on to Thebes!” The men groaned, tired after the long ride in their heavy armor, and followed him, once more, into the unknown.

It was midnight, as the train pulled up at Ravenna station. Portia and Cassius were one of the first to leave the train. Passing by the newsagents, Portia once more glanced down at the Paper, which ran a single word headline; “WAR”
“General, I think you should look at this” she cried, shocked.
Old September 28, 2002, 23:49   #25
Lord Zalzabad
Warlord

Captain Scipio was surprised at the amount of resistance offered to him on his advance to Mount Arc. They had not seen even a single peasant on the road. This made Scipio uneasy, and had sent a messenger to tell Brutus of this fact a little over an hour ago. The scout had just returned, bringing news that the main army was little under a half-hours ride away. “And what did Brutus say of the lack of resistance, Sergeant?”
“He said that this was showing that the French resistance is crumbling and we will take Paris no trouble,” replied the messenger. Scipio shook his head and rode on. It would be only an hour before they reach the mountain. Little did they know they were being watched.

“Marshal Napoleon, scouts report that a small company of cavalry have passed the edge of the ‘shoe’. It seems to be an advance party. Also, it seems the main army is half an hour behind the advance guard”
“He’s a fool,” said Napoleon.
“Who is, sir?”
“Their commander, traveling too close behind the advance party. Once the army is passed the “lips” of the shoe, we will commence our attack”
“Yes sir”
Napoleon looked towards the rising sun in the east, thinking this would be a day long to remember. How right he was.

The golden temples glistened in the morning sun, as Perrie and his horsemen approached the city of Thebes. Through the quiet streets of Thebes they rode, towards the Royal Armory. Here, they would meet their destiny, to save France, and their queen, Joan d’Arc.

Cassius awoke late that morning. It seemed, he thought, this was becoming a habit. He sighed at this fact, and made a promise to himself to wake up earlier. He walked over to the window and looked out. The sight that he saw made him gasp in horror.

“Captain, the masses have broken through our western wing, and the fire is spreading towards the railway station!” said a trooper of the Republican Guard to his captain, as the rioters continued to burn the city of Ravenna. “Send the third unit out to intercept them, do not shoot unless you have no other choice” Replied the Captain. The trooper saluted, and rode off towards the wing. The Captain heard a shot, and rode off into the direction it came from “Darn,” he said to himself “Where is the General,” and then more loudly “Who fired that shot?”

Cassius stormed down to the dining room, in battle dress, saying to his Chief of Staff, “Why wasn’t I informed?”
“We did not think it was worth waking you, and anyway, ten minutes ago, it was just a quiet protest!” said the Chief of Staff, in his defense.
“And why are they protesting?”
“About the war, sir”
“Where’s Portia?”
“I’m right here, General.” Said Portia coming in from behind him
“Go to your father, tell him that we may need to advance our plans a little.”
“Very well, General, I shall go”
“And captain,”
“Yes sir” said the Chief of Staff
“Make sure she gets away safely”
“Very well, sir”
“Good luck, and god speed, Portia”
“I do not need luck, General,” said Portia, before she left. Cassius sat down and thought. How would he carry out his plans? Cicero only wanted to get rid of Pompey, while he wanted to kill Caesar. The door suddenly opened, giving Cassius a fright. “Sorry to interrupt you sir,” said the trooper, “but there is someone here to see you.”
“Very well, bring him in,” said Cassius.
“It has been a long time, my good friend,” said a voice Cassius vaguely remembered

“What are these, brigadier?” said one of the Knights
“These are our new weapons, soldier” said Perrie, “Our next goal is to aim for Lyon. I believe that is where we need to go. Without all the Armor to slow us down, we should be there in two days.” The Knight, now Cavalryman took up the new rifle and took aim. It was accurate, and lightweight, compared to those muskets they normally used. “Onwards we go!”

Scipio looked over towards the mountain. Did something just move up there? Scipio raised his hand, and his unit stopped. It seemed that they were falling into a trap. Scipio signaled all his commanders to come in close. “I want you, in units of three men, to scout out for a perimeter of 1 kilometre search for traps, for men, or any sign of an ambush” they nodded, as Scipio climbed a sand dune. That fool, he thought to himself seeing Brutus’ army, now less than ten minutes away, why was he so close behind? Then he saw the trap.

“Riots?” said Caesar, surprised, “Where?”
“Where else, Ravenna, Giza, Byzantine, Brundistrum, Veii” said Calpurnia, listing off the cities engulfed in rioting, “All over an article proclaiming that we are at war with France. Is there any truth to it?”
“Darn it, who leaked it to the press?” said Marius, angrily.
“Well,” said Calpurnia, remembering what Senator Cicero told her to say, “Senator Pompey has been talking of overthrowing your grace. It could have been him who started this rumor, if it really is a rumor”
“Captain Marius, do you think Pompey did this to discredit me?”
“Most probably, sir.”
“Very well, Captain, send a unit out to arrest our good Senator.”
“Do you have any orders for the commanders of the Cities?”
“Tell them to use their own discretion to deal with the matter”
Marius clenched his fist and put it to his heart as a mark of respect for his commander, “If Caesar says do this, it will be done.” With this, he left the room, Calpurnia following closely behind him, wanting to see Cicero and tell him of the change of fortunes for his plan.

“Ramses, long time, no see!” Cassius said to his old friend. They had met in Kyoto, when Cassius’ father was ambassador, along with Ramses father, who was ambassador for Egypt. They had since been friends ever since then. “I wish we could meet in better circumstances, but this is important” said Ramses.
“Can’t it wait? As you may be able to see, I have a problem on my hands!”
“I am afraid it can not wait. However, what I propose will solve both of our problems”
“Oh?”
“No doubt, your people are protesting over the war?”
“Yes, why?”
“Well, I have come up with an ingenious ruse that will stop this war, and eliminate the main problem of the continent of Cycera”
“And what may that be?”
“I think you already know.”

“WITHDRAW ALL TROOPS, MEN, WE HAVE BEEN AMBUSHED” yelled Scipio, at the height of his voice, but it was too late. The ‘lips’ of the ‘shoe’ had encircled the 7th & 9th divisions, and the remainder of the Imperial Guard. I must see the Marshal, thought Scipio to himself. He rode off towards the main camp, to discuss strategy. The Infantry forces of the advance guard had been guttered by a hail of musket fire, however, the survivors were fighting hand to hand with the pikemen, finding that their bullets were having little to no effect on the heavy armor the pikemen wore. Scipio heard a trumpet, announcing the advance of the French Knights. Reaching the top of a dune, he surveyed the Field. It seemed over half a million French troops were pitted up against 100,000 Roman troops. (There are 40,000 in each Roman division and 20,000 men in the Imperial Cavalry). It seemed to be the entire army. He looked into the distance, saw the flag of his commander, and rode towards it.

“Senator, Pompey, open up, we have a ‘gift’ to present to you on behalf of Caesar!” said Marius, outside the door of Pompey villa, accompanied by a platoon of soldiers. “Why do you need troops to offer a gift?” replied Pompey, from a second story window.
“It is a treasure so valuable that I need a platoon to protect it.” With these words, Pompey closed the shutters, and walked down to the door. Opening it, Pompey asked, “Now what is this gift”
“The valuable treasure is your life, Senator Pompey. On behalf of our great leader, Caesar, I have come to arrest you for treason.” With that, the troops collected Pompey, who was frozen with shock, and took him to the Piaus Prison, the prison for opponents of Caesar's rule.

Cicero smiled with glee. His plan was working flawlessly. It was relatively simple. He would manipulate Cassius to march the powerful eastern army on Rome, where, Portia would assassinate him, and he would gain control of the army. There he would defeat the Imperial Guard that protect the city, and declare himself Emperor of Rome. The armies under Brutus would be too far away to come to be an immediate threat, and the Western Army, under General Antony would be easily defeated. Rome would be his. Little did he know that it was all about to come apart.

“Very well, I know what I have to do, I shall leave on the midnight train, and Ramses, be careful leaving the city. I must attend to these riots.”
“Thank you, Cassius, and good luck with your mission. May Ra smile down apon you”
“And Jupiter apon you.” With that, they parted. Cassius towards the fires, and Ramses towards Avaris.
“General, I’m glad you got here, the riots have calmed down, and the fires are under control,” said the captain of the guard.
“Very well, Captain, I have a mission for you. Gather up your ten best men, and come to my residence at sunset. Do not tell anyone where you are going, and what you are doing.”
“Yes, General.” The captain, he knew, was loyal. He knew he could be trusted for this glorious mission.

“Marshal Brutus, we are surrounded!” said Scipio, bursting into the tent.
“I know,” replied Brutus, “can anyone offer any solutions to our predicament? Lepidus, can we please have a situation report?”
“Yes, Marshal. We have been surrounded by nearly five hundred thousand French troops. We posses better fire power, and are technologically superior to them in every way, however, they outnumber us five to one. We can win this battle, but it will be very costly. I vote for a fighting retreat back to Tours, where we can fortify and reinforce our troops for an epic battle at a later date.”
“Retreat is not an option, Lepidus, do you have any ideas, Scipio?”
“There seems to be a weak point in their lines, to the west of our position. This seems to be their entire army here, which means that the other cities, are undefended. I propose that our cavalry forces break through the lines at the weak point, and race forwards to capture Lyons, and the oil. Admiral Scipio’s fleet will be there to collect the oil, and take it back to Rome. There, we will have fuel to power our Tanki, and they will advance to Tours, where they will meet up with the main army, who will retreat to there for regrouping. Then, the army will advance, with our Tanki in the lead, and crush the opposition.”
“Very well, Scipio, we will conduct your plans. Go rally the cavalry, and tell them to prepare for conflict.”
“Yes sir.”

“Marshal Napoleon, sir, the Chancellors plan is working perfectly. It seems the cavalry will be making a break a the weak point of the lines, and advance towards Joffre’s trap.”
“Yes, and once they have done that, we retreat to Paris. How far away is Perrie?” replied the Marshal.
“He crossed the border half an hour ago.’

Joffre looked from a hill that overlooked the city of Lyons. It was known as the hill of the fallen Tiger. How ironic, really, he thought. “Are you sure it’s going to work, Chancellor?” said the major in charge of the Garrison. Joffre smiled. “Major, before I joined her Grace, I traveled the world, studying the Art of War. I traveled to Actum, and studied at the war academy of the great Sun Tzu. I visited the fields of Thermopile. I have traveled, and visited the battlefields of Odessa, the wastelands of Shanghai, the Island of Rostov. Here famous battles took place, and I learned from the victors. I learnt from the defeated. The Romans did not apply the lessons learnt at Thermopile to their Greek campaign, using sheer force to overwhelm the enemy. They have not learnt the lessons of fighting with a large supply line, as they tried in their failed Russian Campaign. Their supply line is long, and they do not posses the numbers or the tactics to defeat us. They have fallen into a ruse, used by the Chinese against the Japanese at the Battle of Shanghai. This ruse I use. It is called the Leaping Tiger Ruse.”
“What is involved in this ruse?” the major said. Joffre smiled and looked out to sea. There was a fleet of Roman freighters out there. He knew they could do no harm, however, he did not have the resources to defeat them. Joffre looked back at the Major and replied, “wait and see.”
Old September 29, 2002, 05:08   #26
ChrisiusMaximus
Emperor

Excellent,always good to read a further installment of this tale.Keep up the good work.
Old October 3, 2002, 18:56   #27
Lord Zalzabad
Warlord

This next chapter is quite large, and it is also the last one! The final decisive battle is about to take place in this final installment of The Ghost of Thermopile

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Admiral Scipio looked towards a tall mountain, known by the locals as the hill of the fallen tiger. “If only,” he said to himself, “if only my fleet was here instead of rusting away in Veii Harbour.” Nevertheless, he knew it could not be. It would take six months for the fleet to sail here, and he had only been told of this operation a week ago. He looked again, and noted the number of troops in the City. He was surprised at how many there was, and called a minor captain of a minor ship to the bridge. “Go to friendly port and warn the Army of unexpected opposition at Lyons.”
“Yes, sir” was the reply, and with that, he was gone.

“Ok, men, this is what we will do,” said Scipio to his men, “General Lepidus will launch an offensive in the west, drawing troops away from the western flank. There, we will charge the lines, breaking through, and advance on an undefended Lyons. Marshal Brutus will accompany us in this glorious mission. Victory will be ours! Lets go!” The Cavalry charged straight at the undisciplined French Swordsmen, who scattered, while Lepidus and his forces faced off against the eastern flank. An hour later, the Cavalry was over the horizon, a signal fire erupted from the Mountain, the signal for retreat. Strangely enough, thought Napoleon, the Romans did the same. Was this a part of some great plan? He decided not to pursue, but to retreat to Paris, and fortify the city.

The sun had just set over the horizon, and Ravenna was peaceful. Captain Pondis and his group arrived at the gates to Cassius’ compound, only to be confronted by the Guards. “Do you have business with the General, Captain?” said the Guards.
“I am Captain Pondis, and Cassius is expecting us.” The guard looked down on his list, smiled and said, “Very well, Captain, the General is expecting you,” and they were let in.

Brigadier Perrie crossed over the decimated battlefields, seeing the corpses of both Roman and French troops lying in the field. A great and epic battle must of taken place, but his heart failed him, he knew the only winner of the futile war would be Rome. He, and his troop, continued on, at a hastened speed, towards their goal.

“General, Captain Pondis is here to see you,” said the Chief of Staff
“Very well, bring him in,” said Cassius. The Chief of Staff left the room, only to come back a moment later, leading Pondis and his gaggle of men. “Close the door when you leave,” Cassius said to his Chief of Staff, as he left the room, and then to Pondis, “I have a mission for you and your men which will decide the fate of the Republic. I will brief you in on the train trip, but all I can say is that you will be going to Rome. We will leave at midnight. Be at the station by then, and say a final farewell to your families, as you may not come back.” Pondis looked at his men, and turned to leave the room, but Cassius interrupted this action by saying, “You will be the basis of a new unit I’m forming, The Republican Guards.”

“Caesar, we have received a report from Brutus, that Lyons will be captured by tomorrow evening, however, a report from Admiral Scipio says that there may be unexpected resistance. The main army, however, has retreated to Tours to regroup, after a draw with the French forces at the Battle of Mount Arc” finished Marius, looking up from the situation report. “That darn Pompey, said these French would be a walkover. Where is he now?” said Caesar.
“He is in prison, Caesar, sir”
“Good, I want you to execute him personally tomorrow in the basement of the Capitol.”
“Yes Sir.”

The train pulled up to the station half an hour early, and Portia jumped off, and ran to her father’s house to give him Cassius’ message. Cicero was happy about this, and said, “Things are going faster than even I imagined! I’m surprised nothing has gone wrong.”

The Troops of the Republican Guard marched into the train, followed closely by General Cassius. They would get there at about four o’clock tomorrow evening to complete their mission, the mission they did not know yet, but on hearing it, got the shock of their lives.

Veii Times

Defeat at Mount Arc
Reports from inside the military suggests that the Roman Expeditionary Forces, under the command of Marshal Brutus were defeated in a confrontation with the French Army, on the slopes of Mount Arc, 50km west of Paris. Sources close to the French Commander, Marshal Napoleon, report that both French and Roman Troops retreated simultaneously, but the Imperial Cavalry broke through the French lines, charging north to the main Roman objective of Lyons. Confirmation of the defeat at Mount Arc is yet to be confirmed by the military, however, reliable sources in the Eastern Military Command confirm the rumors are true. Page 14,15, More Reports, Page 64 Editorial Caesar's Bluff?

Brutus surveyed the Lyons Pass, the most direct route to the city. The Oil fields were beyond the pass too, further reinforcing the Marshals plan. It seemed that a battalion of pikemen was protecting the pass, backed up by the Queens Musketeers. Brutus’ plan was simple. His Cavalry would charge the French lines, and cut up the opposition. The scout force under Captain Scipio, would capture the undefended city, and secure the port, so his father, Admiral Scipio could dock, while the Main unit would capture the Oilfields and start the transportation of the oil to the boats. “We will attack at two this afternoon, with the sun at our back.”

“Do you see what the fool is doing?” said Chancellor Joffre overlooking the troop positions of the Marshal. “His main force will charge the cavalry, and fall straight into the trap. The Musketeers will scatter the troops, while the tiger would leap out and rout the enemy forces”. What the Tiger was, no one but the Chancellor knew.

“Congratulations, Marshal Napoleon, you have scored a major victory in our war” said Joan d’Arc.
“But the greater victory is yet to come. I did my part in the Chancellors plan, however, I did not expect the Roman forces to retreat. Any word how Ramses plan will play out?” replied the Marshal
“It will take place this evening”
“And will that stop the war?”
“I think so, Joffre is an able tactician, well versed in the Art of both War and Politics. I trust his instincts.”
“Very well, I must send out a relief column to destroy the retreating forces”
“Gods speed, Marshal, and good luck”

Brutus looked down at his clock, it read 2 PM. He looked at his troops, and raised his Saber, as the signal for the attack to commence. The first wave got ready and started of at a steady gallop, speeding up to a full-scale charge. The troops were 100 metres away, 70 metres, 50 metres, and the first Cavalry units disappeared into a well-placed pitfall. Their comrades behind them stopped suddenly, only to be cut down in a hale of musket bullets. The more daring of the Cavalrymen jumped the pitfall, only to be stabbed by the Pikemen. Brutus looked at this display, horrified. Unmoved by the massacre of his troops, he ordered the second wave to charge, the third to get ready, and the Scout unit to attack if all else failed. Scipio did not like this, but he had no other choice, he had to follow orders. A trumpet sounded, and the second wave began its advance, making sure to avoid the pitfalls and the survivors of the first charge withdrawing back, wounded from the first onslaught. They charged, ignoring the musket bullets, with several of their comrades falling in the hail. Jumping the pitfall, a few did not make it, and fell into the pit, the sharpened Punji Spears killing them instantly. Those who did make it scrummed to the same fate as the previous charge. The bodies were piling up, and the Commander of the unit ordered his troops to retreat back to a clearer position.

The field was littered with Roman corpses, an odd horse galloping the desert plain. They were the last line of defense for the French Kingdom. They had defeated the most advanced army in the world, and the Elite Forces at that. Now, the commander saw, the Roman Cavalry units prepared for the final charge. The French commander praised the tactics of their Chancellor, a victory well earned for their Queen. Ever since the dawn of time, Roman Armies had harassed the peoples of the World, from Greece, to Russia, to France, and now was the time when the world stood back and said “No More” and defeat the Roman aggression once and for all. However, a trumpet broke the Commander’s train of thought. However, it did not come from the Cavalry in front of them, it came from behind the pikemen. The commander turned around… and smiled. The Tiger had leaped into action. Brigadier Perrie’s cavalry forces charged towards the Roman forces. Horses refreshed in the city, they jumped the pitfall effortlessly. Brutus lost his mind, and ordered the third wave to charge. “But sir! Their morale is broken, they will be cut down!” replied Scipio angrily.

Cicero looked over at Caesar on the throne of the Senate and smiled. Soon, he thought, he would be sitting there. It was only a matter of time before Cassius moved his Armies towards Rome.

The Midnight express from Ravenna to Rome arrived five minutes early. Cassius and his troops got off and looked around the station. They saw the nearest exit and headed towards it. Looking down at his watch, he saw that there was only five minutes to the Senate was dismissed. They had to hurry.

Pompey was woken by a noise outside his cell. How could he of failed so close to his final goal of ruling the empire. The door opened.

Caesar left the Capitol, and was stopped by journalists on the stairs “Do you have any comments about the alleged defeat of the Roman Armies at Mount Arc?”
How did they know that? “Our troops made a strategic withdrawal to regroup, while the Imperial Cavalry capture Lyon. By now, the city should be in our hands,” said Caesar confidently.

“I ordered them to charge, and you have no right to overrule my orders, Captain,” said Brutus, pulling out his revolver, and aiming it Scipio’s head, “now are you going to lead that charge or not.” Scipio pulled his gun on the Marshal, “Just you try it.”

“Marius, what are you doing here?”
“I think you already know, Senator Pompey,” said Marius, pulling out his gun. A shocked look fell over the Senators face.

Cassius pushed his way through the crowds, and saw Caesar descending the stairs of the Capitol. He and his troops broke into a run.

Cicero’s smile faded quickly at what he saw. His plans were going wrong. Then he saw it in Cassius’ hand, and Cicero went pale.

“No more questions, people, I have an important meeting with the Ministers” said Caesar, turning to face the Plaza. Then he saw it, “Guards, help!” he turned around, and started running.

Then there was a shot.

Senator Pompey’s body slid down the wall, leaving a trail of blood on the wall. “That’s that taken care of, I must report back to Caesar,” Marius said to the Guard, who saluted him. Marius head a commotion above him, on the stairs of the Capitol.

Brutus’ body shook violently, as the last ounce of life left his bode. Captain Scipio, had a gash to his face where the bullet grazed him. He turned to a trooper, holding his hand to his wounded face, and said “Raise a white flag, we are surrendering.

The firefight that followed was brief. Cassius’ troops took out all the guards and had piled them on top of each other, over Caesar's body. Crowds were gathering around the bodies, being protected by the Republican Guard. Cicero was thinking fast. He stood up on the nearby pulpit, and proclaimed a new republic, founded on the principle of peace.

Marius looked shocked. He saw Caesars body at the bottom of the pile of troops. It would be useless to fight his way through. He looked left and right, then disappeared into the crowd, towards the bodies.
Old October 3, 2002, 19:00   #28
Lord Zalzabad
Warlord

Epilouge
Consul Cassius walked down the pier at Veii. He looked towards the Harbour, and saw the new flagship of the fleet being built, the battleship Thermopile. There were few naval vessels in the Harbour, as the majority of vessels had returned to their homeports. Cassius looked beneath the legs of the Great Colossus, seeing a French Oil Tanker sitting beneath the legs, waiting for a tug to pull it in to Port. Cassius looked at the stalls, and saw a copy of the Veii Times. He purchased it, and walked towards the naval base, reading the Paper.

Veii Times

New Trade Deal Announced

Co-Consul Cicero has announced a new trade deal with the French Republic. This comes as a surprise to many, as Roman armies were being slaughter at the hands of French troops a little more than a year ago, ending with the Assassination of Caesar. Rumors are still rife that Caesar survived the assassination, but Co-Consul Cassius, who was incidentally the Assassin, replied by saying that the body of Caesar was buried in an unmarked grave outside Rome…

The man laughed at this, looking around the ward. It was an old building, and the German nurse took away his breakfast. It was a miracle he survived. The door opened, and a black clad Roman soldier entered. Putting his hand to his heart, he yelled the salute, “Hail Caesar, our Immortal Leader!” He smiled at this, turned to the soldier, Captain Marius, and said, “ We better get going, don’t we have an empire to crush?”

The End?
Old October 4, 2002, 11:51   #29
ChrisiusMaximus
Emperor

Excellent story,its been a real pleasure to read.
Old October 4, 2002, 23:01   #30
Lord Zalzabad
Warlord

Thankyou very much, it has been a pleasure to write. Look out for the sequal, appearing around mid november, entitled, Phantasma of Hades