Old July 15, 2002, 06:20   #1
moomin
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
King

Local Time: 05:21
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Morrowind/NWN interface
Having just completed Planescape Torment I'm now looking into getting one of these latest treats, and I am leaing toward Morrowind, since the single player experience is said to be better. However, I visited a friend who's bought NWN and was became very impressed with how smooth the NWN interface was - logical default actions, several good cam angles, speedy access to most about everything - and logically laid out and accessible as well.

To all of you who have played both these games - is the Morrowind interface (including camera options) comparable to NWN? Is it better, or is it significantly worse in actual gameplay?
Old July 15, 2002, 07:13   #2
Grumbold
Emperor

I had no problems with either interface and in both cases a substantial number of keys can be remapped anyway. I will say though that NWN is locked in top-down 3rd person camera mode. You can change the angle and level of zoom but not switch to first person mode or have the camera viewing forward. Some people find this very annoying. I didn't have that problem, but it did mean that if I wanted to see monsters at a reasonable distance I had to play zoomed out, which means you lose a lot of the graphical splendour. I'd suggest that ultimately you would not be disappointed if you buy both games. Depending on your playing speed, one of them should be in the bargain bin by the time you complete the other
Old July 15, 2002, 13:52   #3
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 04:21
No experience of Morrowind, but I can say that I'm very happy with the NWN interface.

The radial menu (or whatever they call it) seems odd at first but once you have played for a while it becomes a very fast and intuitive way of navigating the menus.

You can also assign 36 hotkeys (F1 - F12, shift+F1 - F12 and ctrl+F1 - F12). Always helpful.

The camera angle is a little annoying. I play at full zoom-out all the time otherwise I can't see the monsters coming, but since I obliterate everything in my path anyway it doesn't really matter.
Old July 15, 2002, 13:54   #4
moomin
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
King

Thank you! I've heard so much good about Morrowind I will go for it then. I personally hate the first person view anyway, so it's not much of a feature for me - but single player is.
Old July 15, 2002, 14:09   #5
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

I would get Morrowind if I could afford it ... maybe when I find a job.

I'm fine playing NWN, though.
Old July 15, 2002, 14:45   #6
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Local Time: 00:21
Yeah, I'm getting Morrowind soon too.... just got me a new PC: P-4M 1.6 Ghz, 256 RAM, and a 32 MB GeForce2. Should be able to run it .

Neverwinter Nights comes later .
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old July 15, 2002, 16:50   #7
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Local Time: 00:21
I finally got Morrowind last week; friggin' awesome game!

I even stole 96 megs of RAM from my wife's computer just so it would run better.. teehee!

224 club!
Old July 16, 2002, 11:19   #8
Scouse Gits
lifer
Civilization II PBEMTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Both Morrowind and NWN reduced to £26 in the latest Jungle.com circular ...
Still both at £35 in EB

SG[1]