Old July 15, 2002, 12:46   #1
johncmcleod
Prince

Local Time: 20:21
Local Date: October 31, 2010
two small questions
1. How do you edit corruption? I think it's too much of a problem and I've heard people talking about editing, but they never say how.

2. How can you edit how much spies cost? They are way to expensive.

I've looked all over the editor to find a way to edit these, and I can't find a way.
"The first man who, having fenced off a plot of land, thought of saying, 'This is mine' and found people simple enough to believe him was the real founder of civil society. How many crimes, wars, murders, how many miseries and horrors might the human race had been spared by the one who, upon pulling up the stakes or filling in the ditch, had shouted to his fellow men: 'Beware of listening to this imposter; you are lost if you forget the fruits of the earth belong to all and that the earth belongs to no one." - Jean-Jacques Rousseau
Old July 15, 2002, 12:59   #2
Kloreep
C3CDG Team BabylonPtWDG LegolandInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4DG The Mercenary Team
Emperor

Local Time: 23:21
Firaxis decided to make it editable for each specific level; just click the "difficulty levels" tab and you should see the slider.

The "base cost" (i.e. what the base value is for whatever formula is used to determine the cost) is under the "Diplomats and Spies" tab. If I understand you correctly, you want to make planting them cheaper; just select "Plant Spy" in the missions dropdown box and divide the base cost of 60 by however much you want the cost divided.
Old July 15, 2002, 13:02   #3
Marquis de Sodaq
King

Local Time: 22:21
Corruption can be reduced by increasing the optimal number of cities. I haven't looked for a while, I can't recall which tab it's under. It allows you to modify the optimal number for each difficulty level and map size.

Some have reduced it my flagging more improvements with the 'reduces corruption' flag in the improvements tab.

The gift of speech is given to many,
intelligence to few.
Old July 15, 2002, 13:35   #4
Lucilla
Mac
Princess

Local Time: 05:21
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Concerning corruption have a look at this thread
Old July 15, 2002, 18:13   #5
Purple
Prince

Here are some tips I've gathered from the many threads on this topic. Be aware that the upcoming patch may change the advisability of any or all of these tips.

On the Difficulty Level tab set Optimal Cities for each difficulty level to 100%.
On the World Sizes tab, increase the number of cities (try by 50%) for each map size.
Set flag for corruption reduction on more buildings (e.g., Temples).

Set corruption slider at about 80% with about 50% more cities for each map size as previously listed and no other changes. This gives near-Civ2 levels of corruption (except for Democracy, which had no corruption in Civ2).
Old July 15, 2002, 18:35   #6
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

anyone who edits corruption is a panzie who is not playing the game the way its meant to be played.

you will be in for a harsh awakening when MP comes out. i doubt the entire community has tweaked their rules to make the whole thing that much easier...

some of us enjoy a challenge. it's not comming from the AI, so it might as well come from the corruption.
Old July 15, 2002, 18:45   #7
Willem
Emperor

Local Time: 21:21
Re: two small questions
Quote:
Originally posted by johncmcleod

I've looked all over the editor to find a way to edit these, and I can't find a way.
You couldn't have looked very hard then, especially regarding corruption. There's a number of things you can do to affect it, just spend more than 30 seconds having a look around.
Old July 15, 2002, 19:48   #8
miccofl
Civilization III PBEM
Prince

In the editor, select edit rules (or if you prefer ctrl+R), select “Difficulty Levels.” At dead center is a slider bar that allows you to effect the corruption factor for whatever level you have selected.

Quote:
anyone who edits corruption is a panzie who is not playing the game the way its meant to be played.
In all fairness, if there was a particular way the game was “meant” to be played, why were we given the editor?

And just for fun: (If you were trying to say pansy; nevermind.) We have a new Civ3 catchword:

panzie (păn zē ) 1. one who cheapens, alters or removes the corruption factor of the Civ3 game 2. one who alters the rules of Civ3 in a manner that may not be acceptable to others see also: culture flipping, domination win, modders
Old July 15, 2002, 19:57   #9
cracker
Warlord

I thought an Panzie was someone who got attacked by Panz-ers. (or should that be spelled Panzee as opposed to Panzer).
Old July 15, 2002, 20:13   #10
miccofl
Civilization III PBEM
Prince

Correct, but don’t confuse the term with “pattonzee”, it’s complete opposite.
Old July 15, 2002, 22:02   #11
cracker
Warlord

Also not to be confused with the terms: Pants-ee and Pants-er
Old July 15, 2002, 23:13   #12
johncmcleod
Prince

Hmm, I don't see it. I'll post a screenshot.
"The first man who, having fenced off a plot of land, thought of saying, 'This is mine' and found people simple enough to believe him was the real founder of civil society. How many crimes, wars, murders, how many miseries and horrors might the human race had been spared by the one who, upon pulling up the stakes or filling in the ditch, had shouted to his fellow men: 'Beware of listening to this imposter; you are lost if you forget the fruits of the earth belong to all and that the earth belongs to no one." - Jean-Jacques Rousseau
Old July 16, 2002, 12:52   #13
johncmcleod
Prince

That didn't work. Let's try this

src="http://members.tripod.com/~John_C_McLeod/screen.jpg">

Old July 16, 2002, 18:15   #14
miccofl
Civilization III PBEM
Prince

Click the link for a screenshot of where you edit corruption. If your screen doesn't look like this, you need to download the latest copy of the editor.

http://www.miccofl.net/Civ3/Corruptionadjuster.htm