View Poll Results: What is your policy on optional advances?
All of them, always. 11 28.21%
Whichever i feel like if i am a bit ahead 11 28.21%
Only the VERY useful ones, such as Sanitation 14 35.90%
None, if i have the choice 1 2.56%
I used the Civ3 CD as a coaster in a toaster 2 5.13%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 15, 2002, 15:56   #1
joony
Settler

Local Time: 04:22
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Optional Advances
When you do have the choice of doing optional advances do you do them all, or some, or only the useful ones?
Old July 15, 2002, 16:45   #2
Andemagne
Civilization II MultiplayerNationStatesCivilization II Succession GamesACDG3 Spartans
King

Local Time: 06:22
everything allways! I'm a Perfectionist.
Old July 15, 2002, 16:50   #3
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Local Time: 00:22
I go for most of them. I usually ignore Free Artistry. I sometimes ignore communism/espionage (but often buy communism so I can build police stations).

I rarely play into the modern age, but if I do I will often ignore the bottom part of the tech tree.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old July 15, 2002, 16:56   #4
Aeson
Emperor

Local Time: 22:22
Local Date: October 31, 2010
The Republic and/or Monarchy are too good to pass up, same with Literature.

Chivalry always plays an important role, as does Military Tradition. Music Theory isn't too important to get early, as a Leader from my Knights/Cavalry can rush JS Bach's, Economics is very helpful. Free artistry I can always do without.

Sanitation is important, but I can wait until Ecology is available in most cases. Nationalism, Communism, Espionage, Amphibious Warfare, and Advanced Flight are hardly worth anything. I tend to just wait until the AI has nothing else to offer before snatching them up in trades.

The modern day ones can be important in the right circumstances, recycling especially.

In all cases, the AI rarely research them until late, so they can be a good way to catch up on higher difficulty games. While the AI races ahead, get the techs everyone doesn't like yourself and then trade them around. Before the wonders get built they can be very lucrative, just save a leader for the wonder after the trades.
Old July 15, 2002, 18:04   #5
Purple
Prince

Local Time: 23:22
Unless the tech allows a desirable Wonder or government, I ignore them for all practical purposes. I don't even try to get them through trades. They usually get thrown into the deal when an AI sues for peace.
Old July 16, 2002, 01:51   #6
vondrack
lifer
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEMPtWDG Legoland
Emperor

Local Time: 05:22
Quote:
Originally posted by Purple
Unless the tech allows a desirable Wonder or government, I ignore them for all practical purposes. I don't even try to get them through trades. They usually get thrown into the deal when an AI sues for peace.
Yep, same for me. I get most of them through trades when they become aged a bit... Exceptions: Literature, Monarchy or Republic, sometimes Music Theory.
Old July 16, 2002, 11:21   #7
phunny_pharmer
Chieftain

Local Time: 04:22
Steps to making easy money after nationalism

1) Research non-required techs @ max science.
2) Sell and bankrupt other civ.

Only works if the French are on you map (they are the only ones who have given me over 60 gpt for industrial techs...)

There have been times when I have gotten another civ to only give me a 'world map' for a tech like rocketry. That's when you know you've broken a civ financially. It's a good feeling
Old July 16, 2002, 11:25   #8
Iskandar Reza
Civilization III PBEM
Prince

Local Time: 12:22
If it's insignificant, why bother researching it? Wasting resources. It's all about careful management of resources.
"Who's your Daddy? You know who your Daddy is, huh?? It's me! Yeah.. I'm your Daddy! Uh-huh! How come I'm your Daddy! 'Coz I did this to your Mama? Yeah, your Mama! Yeah this your Mama! Your Mama! You suck man, but your Mama's sweet! You suck, but your Mama, ohhh... Uh-huh, your Mama! Far out man, you do suck, but not as good as your Mama! So what's it gonna be? Spit or swallow, sissy boy?" - Superfly, joecartoon
Old July 16, 2002, 11:27   #9
Iskandar Reza
Civilization III PBEM
Prince

On second thought, the AI seems to like all these insignificant techs....
"Who's your Daddy? You know who your Daddy is, huh?? It's me! Yeah.. I'm your Daddy! Uh-huh! How come I'm your Daddy! 'Coz I did this to your Mama? Yeah, your Mama! Yeah this your Mama! Your Mama! You suck man, but your Mama's sweet! You suck, but your Mama, ohhh... Uh-huh, your Mama! Far out man, you do suck, but not as good as your Mama! So what's it gonna be? Spit or swallow, sissy boy?" - Superfly, joecartoon
Old July 16, 2002, 12:23   #10
Stuie
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Iskandar Reza
On second thought, the AI seems to like all these insignificant techs....
That's why I research none of them, ever. I just trade with the AI for the ones I really give a damn about.
Old July 16, 2002, 12:26   #11
Iskandar Reza
Civilization III PBEM
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Stuie

That's why I research none of them, ever. I just trade with the AI for the ones I really give a damn about.
Actually, if you're ahead, it will be profitable to research them. They'll pay you so much they become bankrupt.
Old July 16, 2002, 14:10   #12
Carver
Prince

The early military techs are almost mandatory (except for unusual game conditions): chivalry and military tradition almost always. I research music theory when I think I have the time, and will be able to build Bach's. When built, Bach's is awesome. I'll also research sanitation myself.

I've never researched monarchy and usually buy communism, espionage, amphib combat and adv flight.
Old July 16, 2002, 14:25   #13
jshelr
Civilization III PBEMIron CiversC3CDG Ankh-Morpork
Emperor

Have others noticed that the AI is not researching military tradition in the latest patch!! If you do it yourself, you can have the only three mover for eons.

I was interested in Aeson's linking sanitation and ecology?? If someone doesn't explain it, I'll have to resort to RTFM.

Thanks
Old July 16, 2002, 22:30   #14
Boris Godunov
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 21:22
Get them all, I say. But I'm anal about such things.
Old July 16, 2002, 23:54   #15
wervdon
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Prince

Literature: Always grab it
The Republic: Almost always grab it or trade for it
Monarchy: Ussually get it in a trade, could care less
Chivalry: Ussually trade for it while working towards economics
Printing Press: Often don't get it until the modern age
Music Theory: Ussually don't get it until late
Democracy: Ussually trade for it in the modern age
Economics: I beeline for this ussually after getting gunpowder
Navigation: Ussually trade for it unless I need it for some reason
Free Artistry: Don't get it until Late
Military Tradition: Always get it asap
Nationalism: Ussually trade for it asap
Communism: Rarely get it at all
Sanitation: I almost always research it after getting scientific method
Espionage: If I get it, I trade for it
Amphibous Warfare: Rarely get it at all
Advanced Flight: Rarely get it at all

Modern Techs: If Im building the ship, I just focus on what you need for that. If conquest, I get nukes & modern armor asap.
Old July 16, 2002, 23:57   #16
Aeson
Emperor

Waiting until Ecology (Mass Transit) to get Sanitation (Hospitals) can really cut down on pollution problems. I usually don't space my cities too far apart anyways, so in order to not have to deal with pollution I just wait and let my cities stay at size 12. I still end up using just about every tile anyways.

The only exception would be in scoring games, where building hospitals as early as possible really can make a difference.
Old July 17, 2002, 11:27   #17
DeepO
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 06:22
Aeson, but isn't that also related to your borg-city spacing? I go for sanitation relatively early (after the ToE is built, which gives me Hoover, and after replaceable parts is researched) because I like fewer, high-production cities. Pollution is one of the aspects of CivIII I find over talked about, and under done (): you don't need mass transport to battle your own pollution, and you will have global warming anyhow because the AIs are terrible pollution cleaners.

You are other points are, as always, very valid: optional techs are imperative on higher levels because you can trade them to the AIs for more usefull things. Other then that, only wonder techs and rep/monarchy are worth it, there rarely is a need for stuff like communism or nationalism.

DeepO
Old July 22, 2002, 10:10   #18
jshelr
Civilization III PBEMIron CiversC3CDG Ankh-Morpork
Emperor

Anybody noticed that the AI is now virtually always skipping both military tradition and democracy, at least on emperor and above?
Old July 22, 2002, 10:26   #19
Aeson
Emperor

Yes, tight city spacing is the main reason why I feel justified waiting for Hospitals in most games.

The reason pollution bothers me so much is I never automate my Workers until all terrain improvements are done the way I want them done, which usually hasn't happened by Sanitation. So having a lot of pollution just adds to an already overwhelming number of Worker jobs to be assigned each turn.

jshelr -

Yes. Advanced Flight is another they wait until late in the Modern Era to research often.
Old July 22, 2002, 10:37   #20
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

jshelr:

In the AU-101 game (Emperor) the AIs were lazy on Democracy indeed, but researched Military Tradition very early.
Old July 22, 2002, 11:06   #21
The Pioneer
Prince

I never had much interest in Free Artistry and Espionage, so I'll always skip them and either trade or forget about them.