Old July 15, 2002, 16:21   #1
Andemagne
Civilization II MultiplayerNationStatesCivilization II Succession GamesACDG3 Spartans
King

Local Time: 06:22
Local Date: November 1, 2010
About Network Nodes
is there a way to tell which one's of your cities(bases) have free network nodes, other then going cities thru with that alien artifact unit?

bonus question: does constructing a thermal borehole contribute to global warming?
Old July 15, 2002, 16:22   #2
Method
ACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 SpartansAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNs
Emperor

Local Time: 01:22
if you press the "G" button for goto with an artifact, all bases with free nodes will say (unlinked node).

Last edited by Method; July 15, 2002 at 17:43.
Old July 15, 2002, 17:25   #3
Blake
lifer
PolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG Gathering StormCivilization IV CreatorsApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of Fame
Beyond the Sword AI Programmer

Local Time: 17:22
And if you automate the artifact it'll be-line to an unlinked node, also if you automate it and their are no unlinked nodes, it'll sleep until you build one. AA's are the only thing I automate
Old July 15, 2002, 17:43   #4
Method
ACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 SpartansAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNs
Emperor

about the borehole thing: ned, blake, and fitz (i think) figured out the eco damage formula, and it actually has nothing to do with the amount of terraforming you build, but rather the amount of minerals a base produces. IIRC it was posted here on apolyton a while ago. do you have a link Blake?
Old July 15, 2002, 18:12   #5
Flubber
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG PeaceAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Human HiveACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Local Time: 22:22
Local Date: October 31, 2010
TkG's method is best if you want to figure out the closest unlinked node and would be most frequently used.

For any given node you can tell in the base screen as well. If you try to sell a linked node you will get a message that linked nodes may only be "destroyed".
Old July 15, 2002, 19:07   #6
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

Or you could switch your screen resolution to 800x600.
Old July 15, 2002, 19:35   #7
Method
Emperor

what would that do?
Old July 15, 2002, 19:53   #8
Mongoose
ACDG The Free Drones
King

Local Time: 23:22
At 800x600, the linked status of the node is displayed in the base screen.
Old July 16, 2002, 02:00   #9
johndmuller
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG Peace
King

The GoTo thing isn't perfect; it misses bases that are on different landmasses or something like that.

Boreholes (and terraforming in general) contribute to ED unless/until you have a Tree Farm and Hybrid Forest in the base(s) involved with the borehole (or other terraforming).
Old July 16, 2002, 10:04   #10
Andemagne
Civilization II MultiplayerNationStatesCivilization II Succession GamesACDG3 Spartans
King

ok thanks everybody.
Old July 16, 2002, 13:53   #11
big_canuk
ACDG3 Gaians
King

I hate to automate, but the goto idea looks good.

Up to now I have used the method I learned from Googlie. I select the network node in the base screen and click the button to recycle it. If it has not been linked, it asks me if I am sure that I want to recyle it for 40? ec. I say no.

If the node has been linked the message says something like "Sorry, this node has been linked to an AA. We can't recyle it but we can destroy it. Is that what you want to do?" Again, of course I say no.

This question pops up regularly. Probably should go in the FAQ.

bc
Old July 16, 2002, 17:29   #12
DilithiumDad
Alpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III PBEM
Prince

The "G" command for artifacts is really good at sea, too. If you get an artifact with an IoD or transport, hit "G" when the transport is active and it will give you the distance to the nearest unlinked node (including pactmates!).
Old July 16, 2002, 18:33   #13
Mongoose
ACDG The Free Drones
King

Even if you don't want to use automovement, using the GoTo command does display the available unlinked nodes to which the AA can travel. You can cancel the GoTo command at that point, richer for the data.
Old July 17, 2002, 06:36   #14
fluffy
Warlord

Local Time: 04:22
Another thing about network nodes that I discovered by accident recently:

Although you can't disband individual nodes once they are linked, you can disband them via selecting 'all' on the disband menu, ie. disbanding every node you have.

This probably comes under the heading of cheating, as linked nodes aren't meant to be allowed to be disbanded.
Old July 17, 2002, 06:56   #15
Sikander
King

Local Time: 21:22
I don't see much of an advantage in scrapping all of my network nodes!
Old July 17, 2002, 08:17   #16
fluffy
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Sikander
I don't see much of an advantage in scrapping all of my network nodes!
It's only an advantage if have an excess of Artifacts with no unlinked bases. When you rebuild the nodes, you can link another artifact in each base.
Old July 17, 2002, 08:18   #17
fluffy
Warlord

d/p
Old July 17, 2002, 09:05   #18
Major Guz
Warlord

Local Time: 05:22
I once read somewhere that a Net Node became "unlinked" when one changed the name of the base which it was in, never tested it though cause I consider it a cheat.
Old July 17, 2002, 11:51   #19
Method
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by fluffy
It's only an advantage if have an excess of Artifacts with no unlinked bases. When you rebuild the nodes, you can link another artifact in each base.
but you still lose the +50% research and then you have to rebuild the node. i've never had a situation where i've had a shortage of nodes.
Old July 17, 2002, 12:37   #20
Andemagne
King

Quote:
Originally posted by DilithiumDad
...hit "G" when the transport is active and it will give you the distance to the nearest unlinked node (including pactmates!).
what happens if you link your AA to your pactmates NWNode?
Old July 17, 2002, 21:30   #21
Sikander
King

Local Time: 21:22
Quote:
Originally posted by TKG

but you still lose the +50% research and then you have to rebuild the node. i've never had a situation where i've had a shortage of nodes.
Me neither, though I could see a case for this in a OCC or something.
Old July 17, 2002, 21:57   #22
Iskandar Reza
Civilization III PBEM
Prince

Local Time: 12:22
Quote:
Originally posted by Andemagne

what happens if you link your AA to your pactmates NWNode?
Is that possible?
"Who's your Daddy? You know who your Daddy is, huh?? It's me! Yeah.. I'm your Daddy! Uh-huh! How come I'm your Daddy! 'Coz I did this to your Mama? Yeah, your Mama! Yeah this your Mama! Your Mama! You suck man, but your Mama's sweet! You suck, but your Mama, ohhh... Uh-huh, your Mama! Far out man, you do suck, but not as good as your Mama! So what's it gonna be? Spit or swallow, sissy boy?" - Superfly, joecartoon
Old July 18, 2002, 08:58   #23
Method
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Iskandar Reza

Is that possible?
don't think so. i think that the AI (and the player too) can capture artifacts regardless of treaty pact, or whathaveyou. so as soon as you moved the AA into their territory they'd take it.
Old July 19, 2002, 12:11   #24
Andemagne
King

bonusbonus question: does constructing a thermal borehole dry the area around it? meaning that rainy areas would turn to moist and moist areas to dry.

I once build a TB on a river and the river dried. does this happen to you?
Old July 19, 2002, 13:05   #25
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

Yes a river can't pass a borehole. However AFAIK there isn't a general drying effect. Though it happens sometimes, other times the terrain around the borehole actually becomes moister.
Old July 19, 2002, 16:31   #26
johndmuller
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG Peace
King

Its more like the river drains into the borehole - it ends in that tile; the upstream part is still there, so building a BH at the mouth of a river doesn't affect any upstream production and in fact it gives you the usual 1 extra energy at the borehole. Of course, if you subsequently raise the borehole to protect it from rising sea levels, the river may shift and if it didn't shift, it would still end there, despite now having additional places to go before getting to the sea.

As to the collateral climate changes, it seems to me that the climate effects occur somewhere else - don't you get messages sometimes that so-and-so's terraforming has caused some changes near your such-and-such location? As I recall, it also seems that the program often picks on the same general area with those climate changes (principally drying out rather than wetting down changes IIRC); at times I've wondered if it was one's newest bases which got the treatment, but I don't think I've ever gotten a good handle on it. (Wetting down can occur, but I think it is a result of raising adjacent terrain right there rather than other forms of terraforming somewhere else.
Old July 19, 2002, 18:18   #27
Maniac

I thought that was a bug when the game said there were climate changes near one of your bases. Because even if terrain has been raised at some base of another faction on the other side of the world, it's most of the time as you say your most recently founded or captured base that has the climate changes.
Old July 22, 2002, 12:06   #28
Andemagne
King

ok thanks again guys.

I have another question thread up now.
Old July 23, 2002, 07:18   #29
MariOne
King

The terraforming effects reports are indeed affected by a bug, the game keeps telling they occur near the base where they happned the first time.

I recall that the BHG themselves have a different effect on raininess depending whether they occur on the windward or downwind shore of your continent, but I can't remember right now which was which.

I know that rivers definitely bring some moisture with them, always making arid tiles moist (only sometimes they make moist tiles rainy tho).
A BH blocking a river will not only have an effect on moisture by itself, it will then deny the "moisturizing" (?) effect to the tiles that were orignially downstream...