Old July 18, 2002, 17:27   #31
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Local Time: 00:23
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
880 AD

Massive builder / research mode for 700-800 years, planning on an intercontinental attack on Egypt. I catch up on techs, and start bringing the Galleys home for upgrade. How upsetting is the picture below??!! Cleo declares war on me just for being big, nailed 4-5 of my returning galleys, and somehow sneaked 2 Swordsmen next to Izumo without me paying attention, and captured it!! She also tried to attack up north with a Warrior and a WC!! The gave me a reason to use Samurai, who I was worried would be underpowered by the time I could get a sufficient attack force to her territory.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	880ad.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	19905  
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old July 18, 2002, 17:44   #32
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

I'm now up to 1100AD. I've got 23 cities, leader in all the demographics I care about except literacy, and a >50% lead in the world ranking. I was able to build Magellan, Newton, and Bach, and I'm pretty sure I'll get Smith's and / or US. I've got a mixed attack force of Riflemen, Samurai, and Cav, almost ready to launch... Cleo is still the target, in never-to-end hatred for having had the balls to take one of my homeland cities. Just to make her life hard, I've entered into military alliances against Egypt with France, Persia, and Greece.

Mwahahaha!!!
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	1100ad.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	19908  
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Old July 18, 2002, 19:12   #33
Theseus
Emperor

I'm switching to 1.29 BTW... just can;t wait.

Old July 19, 2002, 00:17   #34
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Oh, it's ON!
Ok, I built Kyoto at the start spot, and immediately roaded the dyes.

I built a barracks and punched out a few warriors. I consolidated three of them and took Salamanca. Niagara Falls fell to archers. Buh-bye Hiawatha.

I then turned my archers/spears/warriors on the English. I beat on them, took some techs, beat on them, took some techs, etc. Finally, I wiped them out with horsies/swords. Right at the end of it I got my 1 and only GL.

I rushed the Forbidden nearly dead-center in the continent, in a city I built on the river w/the gold hills. Big economy boost. I built the Colossus (NE of Kyoto) and the Great Library (same). Lost the Lighthouse.

I went republic and spend the next millenium or so building up. Finally, a suicide galley run made contact with the Egyptians and Greeks. BOOM! HUGE tech rush from the Library. Most of the way through the Middle Ages. Lost all MA wonders but Adam Smith's. Oh well. Greece was a freakin' POWERHOUSE wonderbuilder.

Trading brought me to tech parity at the beginning of the Industrial Age. Rome, incidentally, was toasted by Egypt (what a horrible starting spot!). Persia had been beaten on.

More building...factories and such, plus the ironworks... and researching. Huge tech trades (sold democracy and medicine for obscene cash/some tech). Upgraded horsies to Samurai, built riflemen while researching for ToE/Hoover. Nailed ToE & Hoover, lost Univ. Suffrage. Upgraded catapults and riflemen, loaded onto galleons.

Everyone ganged up on Persia, so I joined the fun. I took a city w/my Sams, triggering my GA (Hoover completed the next turn... heh, STRONG GA). Persia will die next turn.

1380AD: Democracy, 1 turn to refining. Slight tech lead (just sold Atomic Theory for commie/tons of cash).

Japan - 1641
Egypt - 1222
France - 1051
Greece - 955

I'm pretty much done with the "building" part. Next up: Motorized Transport, Mobilization, and Death, Destruction and Mayhem. I think I'm gonna bomb a TOWN, get down (LL Cool J. reference for those who think I'm nuts). I think I'll take on Egypt.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old July 19, 2002, 05:48   #35
Aeson
Emperor

Local Time: 22:23
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Well, I finished up just in time to install 1.29f.

I ended up letting the AI's have an Oil each, just to make thing interesting. The French never made it into the Modern Era though, and the Greeks just barely did before I took their last few cities. I also tried taking each city with Paratroopers or Marines (other than the 1 city with each of the other units), being supported by Bombers and Fighters. It worked pretty well, especially the coastal cities which fell easily to my Marines after bombarding all defenders down to 1hp. I made a couple armies of Marines hoping they could also do amphibious asaults, but it wasn't meant to be.

In taking Paris with Marines, I generated another Leader. Then moving my Transports left him treading water, there's a screenshot of it below. About 5 turns before finishing off the Greeks, my people revolted, even though almost all of them were happy. Other than that, nothing worthy of note happened. Finished in 1640 with a score of 5513.

Armed Forces at the end:

27 Marines (left from ~60)
3 Paratroopers (from ~30)
3 Tanks
42 Mech Inf
41 Modern Armor (only saw a bit of action)
7 Transports
10 Carriers
4 Destroyers
7 Battleships
3 Nuclear Subs
45 Bombers
13 Helicopters (lots of them got shot down)
27 Jet Fighters
4 Armies (1 Tank/MA, 2 Marines, 1 MA)
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	victory.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	19953  
Old July 19, 2002, 05:52   #36
Aeson
Emperor

Here's the final save, just before destroying the last Greek city.
Attached Files:
Old July 19, 2002, 09:06   #37
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Aeson,

Impressive, as usual. Particularly your wonder building exploits.

I think I'll do it a bit more conventionally - hordes of Tanks backed by infantry and artillery.

The only question is who is the first target... Egypt or Greece. Each has its advantages. Egypt is closer and is all alone... any outside help will take some time to arrive. Greece has (I think) several Great Wonders I want and then I could, provided I get a leader, move my Palace to their continent. My military is "strong" compared to Egypt, "average" compared to Greece - this is with 1.21. Yet I don't think my military is strong at all... wait until I actually build one!

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old July 19, 2002, 13:29   #38
W4r_Machine
Warlord

OK, here's what I did up until 10 AD or maybe much much, later I forgot.

I setled on the spot and put a road on the dye. Built a Warrior then a barracks. I then Pruduced 3 vet warriors for some exploration and stumbled upon the english. I besiege york and razed it. I was then counter atack by 4 or 5 reg warrior. I killed them all and in the process got one GL.

The Iroquois entered the scene shortly after I declared war on the english. By this time archers were available to me so I crank out 3 archers to take the I roquois city closest to my capital. This one had 2 pop so I get to keep it. Then, I set my eyes to the Iroquois city to the north(of my capital) which had Iron in it's borders and a horse just outside. That one I razed and put my own setler. By this time I made peace with the eglish and got all their tech and all their gold. They were left with 2 city. I now have 6 cities to the iroquois 7. I took oil spring and razed it due it's proximity to the capital. By the time I connected to the iron and horse. It was too late. The Irouois already has the MW and slaughtering my archers. I mass produced swordsman and stack them in groupe of 6. I set the other stack to cut off the horse supply just north west(Near Salmanaca) and I set the other stack north east where a city(coast) was connected to both horse and iron.

I manage cut both and guard it, but the MW kept coming and eventually kill off the defending swordsman. On their way though, they got attacked and lost a couple. I take two more Iroquios city and razed it just on the north east(near the english).

By the this time the english had grown to 5 cities so I renewed my war to them. The Iroquios sued for peace but I never took it. I razed all the english town(I cant defend them) and 1 pop. except for london which I never seem to take. I'm also defending from the Iroquios MW assault! My skirmish with the english produced 2 GL. One died on it's way home, he got ambushed by a MW. I got the second one after the other one died.

I'm in the process of taking another Iroquois city on the most northern part of the map, just above The Iroquois capital and a stack of swordsman to take the other city that is connected to the horses and iron.

I sent 6 swordsman to take the capital city of salmanca but the probability GOD has not blessed me. 2 regular spearman killed all 6 swordsman(vets) and a horsie.

My frontier cities are not producing much, like 20 turns to produced a swordsman so most of my assault troops are coming from my core cities which are furthest from the action. The transit are long, about 7 turns to the nearest Iroquois city. I only actually have one worker of my own and the rest are captured slaves, about 10 or 12 of them. The work are slow to say the least.

My treasury is small, about 400gpt and +3/turn. I've reduced my science to 0 to support more units and switched back to Despotism just for the sake of soppurting more troops. I used the surviving GL to make the FP smackdab in the middle of the map.

That's the 411 as of now. I haven't played much in the last couple of days

A side note: The greeks pretty much have all the wonders. I built the Pyramids but that was it.
have struck again
Old July 19, 2002, 16:13   #39
Aeson
Emperor

I was a bit suprised at how well Marines ended up working out, though the Paratroopers were all but worthless. The key of course was my Bombers and shore bombardments with Battleships though, and having the AI without Computers. If the AI ever get MI's, there's no other alternative really to MA's for attacking.

As for wonder building, the key is to just time pre-builds as well as possible, along with beelining for certain techs. If you can finish Sun Tzu and Sistene before the AI's get their hands on Invention, Astronomy, and/or Music Theory, the rest are easy. The problem comes with spillover from those early two into later wonders. In the middle ages, I don't think any of the AI came within 20 turns of finishing a wonder. I did have a 3 or 4 tech lead minimum until finally researching Chivalry, Military Tradition, and the Printing Press, which allowed the AI to catch up a bit.

In my game, Egypt was a couple techs slower than the other two AI, so made the best target. Greece and France (are the Persians still alive in your game?) could be caused to go to war with each other and really open up some opportunities though.
Old July 19, 2002, 16:28   #40
Arrian
Deity

You made contact much earlier than I did, and I was just too far behind in tech. The Sistine was completed just as I entered the middle ages. Sun Tzu, Leo's, Copernicus... they just cascaded. I never had a shot. My leader came late, so the FP wasn't up and running long enough to properly develop my empire such that I could do a lot of prebuilds.

Adam Smith was a palace prebuild which was actually an attempt at Bach, but then I decided to go for AS over Bach. Money, baby.

In my game Egypt, France and Greece are equal in tech (as I mentioned, Persia has one city I'm about to take). I'm milking them all for gpt tech deals (IIRC, France paid 108gpt for Atomic Theory, plus communism and military tradition).

-Arrian

Old July 19, 2002, 18:56   #41
Theseus
Emperor

The AI civs in my game are more mixed... when I went intercontintal, Rome was hanging on with I think 5 cities, and Caesar and Cleo had split the island to the south of my continent. France, Greece and Persia had split their main continent, and had patchworked the islands to the east.

I went for Egypt as promised, in two branches: 1) The city at the northmost tip with the luxuries (don;t you just love it when the Harbor survives the capture, and 2) a plains landing on the Horses (pillaged), which scared me so it included 8 Rifleman.

BTW, I still really like mixed attack forces of Cavs and Samurai for Japan... and in some Riflemen, and it's just unstoppable.

I've had the fewest GLs I remember since maybe January. Did you see what W4r_Machine pulled off? GL from Warriors!!! What year was that?

Last edited by Theseus; July 19, 2002 at 19:11.
Old July 20, 2002, 15:08   #42
W4r_Machine
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Theseus

I've had the fewest GLs I remember since maybe January. Did you see what W4r_Machine pulled off? GL from Warriors!!! What year was that?
I got my warrior GL sometime arround 2700 bc, and I used it to rush the Pyramids.

Anywho, my game is took off in another direction. The greeks are the superpower and ROme is dead along with my neighboors. It took me well into the AD's to get rid of them, and as usual I'm lagging in techs.

I'm beefing up my navy to take on the Egyptians but I don't think I will finnish this--seeing that everyone are done. I kinda wan't to install the new patch

One Q: How do you take multiple screen caps?

Bottom line for me, you can make Emperor easier for yourself if you go APE on your neighboor and never make peace if you can hold your ground. I never went as agressive in my games as I did for this game. I usually wait to have 4 cities arround before I go loco.
have struck again
Old July 20, 2002, 16:07   #43
Aeson
Emperor

I just hit the PrtScn key, alt-tab (or use the windows key if no other programs are open) to get to Paint, paste it in and save it. Then go back to Civ until the next time I want to take a screenshot.

Then when I'm done playing, I use a graphics editing program (GIMP now, though I prefer PSP) to crop, combine, and save the images in .jpg format.
Old July 20, 2002, 20:06   #44
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Local Time: 05:23
It's weekend and I have finally got time to play the game. I have already installed 1.29f, so my results aren't entirely comparable, but since this is a university and not a competition, I think it should be ok.

I went 1 tile NE with my settler and founded Kyoto 3950BC. My worker hooked up the dyes, my capital had 2 forests with game and was very productive even without tile improvement. First I built barracks, then 3 vet warriors, 2 of which I sent exploring. They met the English and Iroquois soon. 3000BC I started the 1st war (England), and 2900BC the second (Iroquois), by killing the 1st AI settler shuttles with my warriors, thus making 4 free slaves. I built some more warriors, but I could not take a city, only autorazed 2 cities with them. Guess, no gold star for me. Most of the conquest of my home continent I did with archers and spearmen, by pruning both AIs as soon as they founded their 2nd or 3rd city. Later, I mixed a couple of chariots in, but I didn't take a city with them. When I took the 2nd last English city, an elite archer made me a leader, which I used for a FP in the center of the continent, near the 3 gold resources. The last Iroquois city was taken by 2 swordsmen (my only 2 in the entire game), and the last English by 4 horsemen. 50AD both AIs were gone.

In 10AD, I started to launch suicide galley tries from the 3 corners of the triangle. I had BAD luck with them, a lot sunk in sea and ocean and others were sunk by barbarians. But nevertheless, I soon (250AD) found the island to the south and met the Greeks there, who have the Lighthouse. A few hundred years later, I had contact to everyone and traded world maps. The Persians were already dead, killed by the Greeks, and the Romans were killed by the Egyptians. So, only 4 civs are left.

The other civs had a lead of 5 techs. I could trade it down. The Greeks still have 2 techs lead (Chivalry and Education), but the French and Egyptians are 1 tech behind (Invention). Right now, I'm building up my infrastructure. As soon as I get Navigation, I will visit Egypt with Samurai.

It's 600AD, I'm the first in the powergraph with 1062, then Greece with 988, Egypt 776 and France 683.
Old July 21, 2002, 14:49   #45
W4r_Machine
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Aeson
I just hit the PrtScn key, alt-tab (or use the windows key if no other programs are open) to get to Paint, paste it in and save it. Then go back to Civ until the next time I want to take a screenshot.

Then when I'm done playing, I use a graphics editing program (GIMP now, though I prefer PSP) to crop, combine, and save the images in .jpg format.
OIC, I thought you have some sort of screen capture program. I have photoshop and when it's open it sucks way too much resource and slows the game down to a halt.

I think Firaxis should have a separate folder for screen caps like in Enemy Engage: Comanche vs. Hokum. All you have to do is press [print scrn] and it automatically stores it in the Screen Cap folder. You can store/take upto 1000 images in that folder.
have struck again
Old July 21, 2002, 15:37   #46
Harovan
staff

Here's part 2.

In 1000AD, I landed 6 caravels with samurai in egypt and continuously shipping reinforcements, took the southern part of the island (ex-Rome). Immediately after this, I shipped lots of my brand new cavalries over, in my brand new galleons, and took the northern part of the island. A leader one of my samurai made, became my first cavalry army. I switched from a prebuilt university to Heroic Epic and built it quickly. Hoped I get one more leader, but negative on that. So I could not jump my palace over as was planned. Oh well.

After this, a peaceful buildup phase followed. I entered the industrial era the same turn like the Greeks. The French were ways behind, and the Egyptians, well, gone. After researching Steam power I beelined for Scientific Method and then for Electronics. I sold new techs immediately to the Greeks, for gold per turn, of course except Scientific Method. This sucked them dry and their research slowed down. Soon I built Theory of Evolution, which consolidated the Tech lead I had meanwhile.

I sold Scientific Method to the Greeks for some optional techs I had avoided to research. Now I made a risky decision, that turned out a good one. I sold Atomic Theory, which is an awful expensive advance, to the Greeks for nothing but gold per turn. IIRC it was more than 200 per turn. I went short to the limit ("They would never accept such a deal"). I intentionally bankrupted them. About 2 turns later, they declared war, not on me, but on the French . A few turns later, both AIs were Communists, and I had the game 100% in my pocket.

After I researched Espionage (I had to do it myself, since the AIs stopped researching), I planted a spy in France. When I tried to plant one in Greece, I got busted and Alex declared war. Ok, I was prepared. I invaded the little continent west of me with the cav/inf/art trio. Awesome. The little island in the south I invaded with inf/art, and the tiny island south of ex-Egypt already with a tank army. It got killed on the way back, because I had sent the transport unprotected and it run into a greek ironclad. Oh well, I have the Academy, no big deal.

After I secured a 2-city bridgehead on the greek/french mainland (and made my 7th luxury), I made peace. The final showdown will come with MI/MA. It's 1665AD, I'm in the modern age, and here's a minimap:
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	1665ad.png
Views:	212
Size:	14.8 KB
ID:	20250  
Old July 21, 2002, 19:30   #47
Theseus
Emperor

I just finished. 4861 in 1650AD.

Rather than extend the game as did Aeson, I decided to go for it, pedal to the metal.

I didn't bother with the small island to the south, but instead went for the jugular. After reducing Cleo into an OCC (on the southern isle), I went for Rome, which was obviously a snap. Caesar actually lasted until the end of the game, with one city on the southern isle, and one city on Diego Garcia.

I got only 1 GL out of both campaigns, which I used to rush the Palace in Pi-Ramesses (early FP in Tokyo, whihc was on the Iron hill north of Kyoto). I'll tell'ya, Japan's traits are absolutely GREAT for this kind of aggression... Temple, Barracks, Cathedral, and then Courthouses and Police Stations for corruption. I got the second continent HUMMING! I only wish I could play Rel, Mil, and Ind... for once, as of the end of the game, I still had not fully improved the home continent.

The situation among the other 3 civs was very different in my game though. France, Persia and Greece all had pretty equal territory and score.

When I landed my attack force on the hills between Paris and Rheims, I had established a pretty solid tech, resource, and $ lead. I bribed Alex into an alliance against Joanie, and all hell broke loose... France enlists Persia, and the two of them wiped Greece off the continent in like 3 turns. Unfortunately for me, the escalation of hostilities means that both France and Persia had significanlty built up their respective forces, so I was facing Cavs off against maaaany vet Infantry.

ARTILLERY-MAN to the rescue!!! Urgent messages were relayed back to the home front, and EVERYBODY starteded pumping out Arty. Coupla turns later, 30 or so are landed, and death rained from the sky.

BTW, I have continued my approach of intercontinental attacks always being a 2-city capture... no flips since I started (it also helps if one of the cities is the capitol!!).

Greece and Egypt both ended up with OCCs on the southern isle... the musta pissed Xerxes off, as he killed'em both in one turn.

Somewhere along here I stopped making Cavs, and focused the home front on building an Industrial Juggernaut (tm). My goal was two-fold: 1) to run out of Cavs just as Tanks were coming on-line, and 2) to have 10 cities at home able to produce at least 50 shields per turn on Wartime.

I think we all have done the same "milking" at one point in this game... with a commanding lead, forcing a given Ai civ to declare war is sooo easy. Xerxes, shmerxes... it took a while, but I basically Artied him into rubble.

I swooped down to take Athens and Corinth from Joan, thus capturing all remaining GWs.

My first Tanks arrived in Rheims, just 6 of'em (with 20 more in transit, and thus never used), and with those and my remaining Cavs I was able to take the last 3 French cities on the continent in one turn (barely... I'm talking a 1hp vet Cav did the final job), and thus hit domination.

Re the first goal, I did pretty well finishing with only 5 Cavs and one 3X cav Army. No GLs sucked btw... I, THESEUS, only had the one Cav Army, and one empty!

Re the second goal, I only got up to 9 cities able to pump Tanks every 2 turns.

I ended with 50 cities. I built or rushed 8 out 18 GWs... Paris and Athens were the treasure cities for capture.

I ended in the Industrial era, with Sanitation, Radio, Amphibious Warfare, Flight, and Advance Flight still unknown.

I can;t think of anything remarkable, although the game was fast and fun.

Ultra-early war, with just Warriors and Spearmen, works... something for us all to add to our repertoires. W4r_Machine's early GL is still remarkable to me.

I did see a lot more Cavs from France and Persia... seems like 1.29 helps. Other 1.29 stuff I REALLY like include the * and all of the "all" choices... can't wait for rally points in PTW.

I will say that to be a successful warmonger, you have to be a builder. Especially if you want to be super-aggressive... that means being able to take max advantage each time technology delivers new relative strength, which means either massive gold for massive upgrades or an ability to pump out hordes of a new kind of unit ASAP.
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	new-1.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	7.2 KB
ID:	20284  

Old July 21, 2002, 19:37   #48
Theseus
Emperor

BTW, my IW city was a disappointment... I built it in the NE tip of the home continent, and never even got it to 50spt. Note to self: don't bother on a weak site.

Old July 22, 2002, 00:29   #49
Aeson
Emperor

Sir Ralph -

I really like how you got Persia to declare war by bankrupting them. It's funny that they attacked the French instead of you first!

Theseus -

My IW city worked out well, I had it built inland on one of the hills along the river though. It was crowded, but ended up being my second most productive city (never built any hospitals). I even built a IW city in the "Babylon and on" game, which only was able to max out at size 9, and it still ended up being a worthwhile city. I would always build it if it is in a non-corrupt area, even taking away from tiles that already founded cities were using.

The new stack commands will really help out, the '(un)fortify all' option is a dream come true when building up and first deploying huge Artillery stacks.
Old July 22, 2002, 04:15   #50
Harovan
staff

The funny thing is, the teal civ is Greece, not Persia. They seem to have completely reworked the team colors in 1.29f.

I will finish my game this evening, with MA's. I easily could finish now with infs/tanks, but then I would have an important offensive unit (MA) without a capture, which was the spirit of this game (at least 1 city with every offensive unit...).
Old July 22, 2002, 12:15   #51
Arrian
Deity

I'm in the 16th century, I believe, and am using masses of Tanks.

Lemme back up a bit. As of my last report, I was preparing to discover MT and pump out Tanks so I could take down Egypt or maybe Greece. Well, 2 turns before discovering MT, Joan sneak attacked me. That *****!

Ok, FINE then. I used massed artillery and infantry to chew up her island possesions (the Island east of the French/Greek continent) while waiting for my tanks to come on line. I got a leader and made a Cav army. HE quickly built. I have 2 or 3 cities which produce a Tank per turn. I had to switch over to Monarchy once Cleo joined her fellow wench against me. So many of my Tanks were re-routed to Egypt, and I've destroyed about half of it. Alex is my ally in this... not that he's doing anything.

I have moved into the core of France, with 8 tanks poised to take an already beat-up Paris, and a leader used to rush my Palace in another city next turn (we'll see how that works out... it may hurt at first). My tanks forces in France are a bit thin at the moment, as I lost a lot of tanks in an all-or-nothin' assault on what is to be my capitol. Still, I have nearly 100 total - it's just a question of the transports getting over there.

-Arrian

Old July 23, 2002, 08:56   #52
Arrian
Deity

Finished in the 1660s, won via domination (almost conquest, there were 2 or 3 Greek cities left). I did use a RoP violation at the end. Not because it made things easier, but because it was faster. Being hit with 100 or so Tanks all in one shot was tough on them.

The only attack unit I did not use was Modern Armor... because I didn't get there (I had computers, Greeks were still 2 techs from the Modern Age. Silly commies).

My score was unimpressive (4200 and change). I got a total of four leaders, I believe (FP, Army, Palace move, SETI).

I enjoyed this quite a bit. It is my first Emperor win. One thing it really helped me realize is that the Wonders I so love aren't that big a deal. I ended the game without the Sistine Chapel. That's almost inconceivable to me.

-Arrian

Old July 23, 2002, 09:34   #53
Theseus
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Arrian
Being hit with 100 or so Tanks all in one shot was tough on them.
You are a master of understatement.

Imagine if an AI civ showed up with 100+ Tanks on one of us! Unlimited beer for Soren.

R

Old July 23, 2002, 10:08   #54
Harovan
staff

Holy sh|t, is domination left on?? I'm about 60 tiles under the domination limit in my game... Theseus? I thought it was off?
Old July 23, 2002, 14:55   #55
Arrian
Deity

Nope, it's on alright.

By the way, I lied (unintentionally of course): I also did not use chariots, longbowmen, marines or paratroopers.

I used:

warriors
archers
swordsmen
horsemen
samurai
cavalry
tanks

I also used infantry in at assault role briefly, with artillery support.

-Arrian

Old July 23, 2002, 15:02   #56
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 04:23
Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Ralph
Holy sh|t, is domination left on?? I'm about 60 tiles under the domination limit in my game... Theseus? I thought it was off?
cut-and-pasted from Theseus first post in this thread:

Settings: Standard, continents, 80% water, 8 civs, warm, normal, 3B, raging, Emperor. Not culturally linked. Conquest and domination wins.

(emphasis mine)

RTFM Sir Ralph?

Seriously, though, I just wish I could get that far. I've become really bogged down in the middle ages somewhere. I spent too long fighting England and let the Iroquis get too strong ... I then attacked them too soon and suffered a big MW attack which lost me a couple of cities. I think I've got the situation under control now, but I might go back and start this again.

I suppose this is what the AU is for ... trying thing out and learning from what works and what doesn't.

What I've learnt:

i) I am not really good enough to play on Emperor yet (i knew this already though)

ii) The Iroquis are dangerous. The English are terrible. If you start next to both of them DESTROY THE IROQUIS FIRST!
Old July 23, 2002, 16:28   #57
Arrian
Deity

FP,

You will note that my very first attack was on Salamanca. The Iroquois rate a 10/10 on my "scares-the-crap-outta-me-o-meter" They had to die quickly. I didn't even try to "milk" them. I just straight-up wiped them out.

The English, OTOH, rate about a 1/10 on my STCOMOM. They're a really weak civ, w/o an ancient UU.

-Arrian

Old July 23, 2002, 16:35   #58
Theseus
Emperor

Sorry SR...

Arrian, the STCOMOM is now an official AU term.

Couldn't agree more about the Iroquois. In 101, I hit the English first, but that was just happenstance when a Settler wandered by protected by a mere Warrior (heh).

The Iroqouis were the total priority.

I had fun playing last night though (just a random game), when I realized that the nearby Iroquois didn't have Horses... the one resource was about halfway to my territory, so every time they built a city near it, off to war my boys went. Sheer torture, for fun and profit.

Old July 23, 2002, 17:02   #59
Harovan
staff

No problem with domination, although I'm forced to disband half of the captured greek and egyptian cities then in order to be able to capture the wonder cities, but its not too late yet. I'm just in the mood to finish this thing, and it seems I have no desire to wait for modern armor.
Old July 23, 2002, 19:00   #60
Theseus
Emperor

Go for it... I finished having hardly used Tanks.

BTW, Aeson, we finished in more or less the same time frame, and you had advanced MUCH further in tech. Any tips?