Old March 1, 2004, 00:18   #121
Puma
Warlord

Local Time: 04:23
Local Date: November 1, 2010
1400bc
Now that I’ve done that I think it’s time to finally take Salamanca.

1400bc
The injured enemy warrior walks out of Osaka’s borders. Kyoto’s archer is completed and moves out to meet the approaching spear that bypassed our forces near Salamanca.
I start moving the Salamanca stack forward. The elite GR-razing-archer heals and I move it towards Salamanca; it is 1 tile behind the stack – another weak move. I wake Beta, and start moving it from the mountains towards Salamanca.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	1400bc.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	25.7 KB
ID:	65878  
Old March 1, 2004, 00:21   #122
Puma
Warlord

1375bc
1375bc
Osaka’s former visitor fortifies outside the border to heal. A spearman fortifies in Salamanca (again? What the heck is going on?) A Salamancan archer comes out to attack the stack, bringing a chariot down to 1hp before dying. Stack is now effectively {1 chariot, 1vet warrior, 1reg warrior, 1elite archer}.
I move the stack north, next to Salamanca, revealing a vet Iroquois warrior. I pull the injured chariot out of Salamanca’s territory, on the road, just in case the stack gets slaughtered. Beta steps onto a mountain next to Salamanca. The lagging elite archer is now 23 with respect to Salamanca - still one step behind. I decide not to attack the warrior – hoping it will head east. Yeah, right.
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	1375bc.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	23.2 KB
ID:	65879  
Old March 1, 2004, 00:26   #123
Puma
Warlord

1375bc and on
Their road-skipping spearman is now on a mountain south of Osaka, next to our Osaka-Kyoto road. I could attack it with my new archer, but decide to move the archer into Osaka for the moment. I am not willing to attack the spear while it’s on the mountain, and I don’t want to park the archer next to the spear - only to watch it die under the spear’s attack (due to the archer’s measly 1 def stat). That RNG is not good to me.

1350bc
Their warrior by Salamanca does not head east, of course, but attacks the stack and dies while it brings my chariot to 2 hp – rendering it useless. The spear near Osaka finally moves off the mountain onto a roaded forest tile, and 2 more warriors appear on the mountain range northwest of Osaka.
I attack the Osaka spear with my Osaka archer, archer dies, spear has 1 hp left; I follow with Osaka's elite warrior and kill it - no problem. One regular warrior left in Osaka.
In Salamanca I attack with the elite archer – which dies – I follow with 2 warriors from the stack – which die, and quickly follow with warrior Beta - which also dies and promotes one of 2 spearmen in Salamanca- a very pathetic sequence of attacks. I try using the 2hp chariot but it retreats injured without making a dent on the 4hp elite spear. I uselessly move the remaining lagging elite archer onto the 1 hp chariot tile. So much for that. I cannot take down Salamanca's 2 spears with the elite archer and a 1hp chariot during the next turn. There goes the last chance of taking over a city with each phase of attacks (Is there any consolation in having razed two with a triple combo?)
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	1350bc.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	25.2 KB
ID:	65880  

Last edited by Puma; March 1, 2004 at 01:10.
Old March 1, 2004, 00:29   #124
Puma
Warlord

1350bc, making peace
If I let the next turn carry out, I’ll lose my elite archer and the chariot in Salamanca. Shocks!! I must sign peace now.
With 16 turns left to complete bronze working research, Japan takes alphabet, bronze working, pottery and 18gold. We could take Niagara Falls instead; but its distance would make it undefendable in a future war and unproductive in any case, and our nation badly needs those techs. I let us get screwed majorly. I know we need more settlers so I start a settler in Osaka right away. I take a look at the English and am suddenly shocked to find Canterbury to the east of Osaka – OMG! I forgot about the English! Now they have 5 cities!
Attached Images:

Old March 1, 2004, 00:32   #125
Puma
Warlord

1350bc, I think this is done
I check the diplomacy screen again, and notice with dismay that the English have writing and iron working; and the Iroquois have iron working too.
I only have 2 towns to the English 5, my military is 4 warriors, 1 elite archer and 2 chariots – this is very sad and my military advisor agrees. The only goods left are 128 gold and a 6gold/turn supply.

This is very disappointing. Dufus-style playing. I know I played below level. I usually would have 3 cities and a sizable army by now. Possibly, it was the thrill of finally playing an AU game that didn’t let me focus – a thoughtless drive to simply overwhelm the Iroquois. It was bad. I should’ve bought warrior code from the start and sent out a super early archer party. I should’ve used the 2 turn archer production in Kyoto. My troubles possibly began when I decided to attack NF at size 1. Who knows? The fleeting thought of reloading the 4000bc save passes my mind, but I don’t like replaying maps that I have already seen. I won’t restart. I save the game and leave it at that. I think that’s all she wrote for Apolyton University 101 and me. Maybe some day again I’ll try another AU. Maybe I need more practice.

So, I head downstairs to eat dinner. The rest of the family is watching “Who wants to be a multimillionaire”
Old March 1, 2004, 00:46   #126
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 00:23
Re: 4000bc
Quote:
Originally posted by Puma
The first instinct is to settle right away. But, I dislike settling one square away from the water. Noting the hill to my left, I decide to move the worker onto it for a better view of the surrounding terrain – if it’s bad I’ll move the settler to the coast tile due northwest.
Why not move the worker to the dye. You can see the coastal tile
and avoid the need to move the settler at all, unless you want a coastal start?
Old March 1, 2004, 00:49   #127
vmxa1
Deity

Re: 3000bc, 2900bc
Quote:
3000bc
Tacitus says we’re behind the Romans, Egyptians, French, Persians, Iroquois, Greeks, and English in technology – no big news.

2900bc
The English found York, my settler is completed, a warrior scorts it towards horsehills, the worker wastes some time getting back to the second wheat in order to continue roading towards horsehills
This is where you could have saved soem worker turn, if you moved to the dye first and then headed towards the game and then wheat.
Old March 1, 2004, 00:55   #128
vmxa1
Deity

Re: 1790bc and on
Quote:
Finally I notice that our nation is studying Bronze Working – d’oh! I forgot to set our research again - forget it and leave it as it is.
I want to capture NF, but I don’t know when it became size 1. I am hoping that by pure dumb luck it becomes size 2 on my attacking turn because I don’t want to get an autoraze.
As long as it has expanded culturally it won't autoraze.
Old March 1, 2004, 01:03   #129
vmxa1
Deity

Re: 1350bc, I think this is done
Quote:
I think that’s all she wrote for Apolyton University 101 and me. Maybe some day again I’ll try another AU. Maybe I need more practice.

So, I head downstairs to eat dinner. The rest of the family is watching “Who wants to be a multimillionaire”
You looked like you were having fun. You can still win from here.
I missed what level the game was played at, but just rededicate yourself.
Old March 3, 2004, 23:08   #130
Puma
Warlord

Returning to the game
Thanks.

Vmxa1, I don’t disagree with your comment on the starting move. But, I wanted to take advantage of the hill’s defense bonus and position by the ocean. I remembered that barbarians were set to raging, and I didn’t want to lose the first city to a barb. As well, I was curious to see the surrounding terrain right away – and the hills afforded me that advantage.
On the second point, I tend not to road on the first turns. One reason, I always play with raging barbs, and sometimes the worker gets destroyed - leaving the city without some improved tiles for a long time. Third point, I wasn’t aware of the border expansion mechanics. I’ll comment on that later in the report. The game is at Emperor level.

I was having fun. This game can hypnotize. Eventually, I decide that my disappointment stems from losing out on the AU101 goal of taking at least a city with each military phase. What’s the point of playing AU101 anymore? If I pick up again, by the time I assemble another good force, the enemy will have pikemen defending each city - thereby rendering any warrior/chariot/archer combo ineffective. But I now have a beef with the English and the Iroquois. Oh what the heck. I can still go for the wonders; and if I end up losing pathetically, well, no one has to know.

Last edited by Puma; March 3, 2004 at 23:57.
Old March 3, 2004, 23:16   #131
Puma
Warlord

1350bc ... where was I?
Thanks for the comments. I want some criticism. That's why I decided to make this a very detailed AAR.

1350bc

Reload.
Ok where were we? At peace with the Iroquois.

I hadn’t noticed; but the woodcutters in Kyoto finished their work – delivering 10 shields to Kyoto, revealing a crop tile (1shield,2food), and permitting a settler’s completion next turn. The second slave pair also completed roading the second game tile. All this resulted in 10shields/turn, 2bread/turn in Kyoto.
With possession of pottery, I switch the settler production into a granary, I must use Kyoto’s high production now - to produce the granary before I start pumping out settlers and depleting its sizable population.

When playing a civ that starts with pottery and or warrior code, I have the following approach:
I build a 5 vet archer force, while the population increases and a few tiles are improved. When the attack archers are about to leave, I start roading, and produce a granary (taking advantage of the high shields/turn count). As the archer team captures the nearest cities #2 and (maybe) #3 from 2 different neighbours, the granary is built. Those captures are generally followed by a 2 settler build in the capital - which generally gives me 4 or 5 cities, and 2 weak neighbours.

But this has certainly been a different game and the first city’s granary is long overdue. Had the granary been in place earlier, the 2 wheat and 2 game tiles would have also allowed us to compete in the rapid expansion while producing a reasonable set of spearmen. Instead we’re short on cities, and military. What a waste given the excellent starting location. Osaka begins working on a settler, we need more cities.

Check the diplomacy screen: Buy iron working from Liz at 110gold and 2gold/turn. Switch to domestic screen: Begin researching writing in 40 turns.
Check science screen: Once I get masonry, I’ll need math to enable currency and construction – which I plan to obtain via extortion. Once I get writing, I will also have the option of extorting philosophy, code of laws, literature and map making. I don’t pay attention to the available mysticism->polytheism->monarchy branch. The goal is to get to Republic after code of laws and philosophy, swiftly occupy the entire island, and then proceed to find the other civilizations. I do not plan on using Monarchy because it will give me a smaller commerce base for research than Republic does, and I do not want to be many techs behind the other civs - whenever I meet. To even try researching the monarchy branch would be a waste of time. I decide to stick it with writing (in 40 turns), which I cannot afford to buy, but it must be obtained because it enables extorsion of the largest set of techs. I might buy masonry. In any case, currency and construction tend to be researched after the writing branch (excluding literacy which sometimes get researched at the beginning of the middle ages), so they’re of no importance at the moment. Okay, the brain is moving. The science advisor recommends I research Horseback Riding, but I never listen to that guy; and knowing that the second civ to research a tech gets it at half price I want to prevent the Iroquois from getting horseback riding soon.

There is also a very cool silver lining in the dark clouds behind. Having severely weakened the Iroquois, Hiawatha’s mounted warriors will not be coming around for ages, and whenever they appear, it will be in small numbers; by which time I should have plenty of swordmen. There’s also hope that they will start a war with England. Additionally, England’s present expansion and large treasury means that it should be researching technology at a reasonable rate; and even better, its 5 towns will not autoraze when they get captured.
I also note that all of England’s towns have only size 1. I don’t think they’ll keep expanding towards the old Iroquois territory. So that gives me some time to get more cities.
I send a pair of slaves to improve Osaka.
Let’s keep playing …
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	1350bc.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	29.9 KB
ID:	66167  
Old March 3, 2004, 23:19   #132
Puma
Warlord

1325bc
1325bc
Hiawatha kicks my units off his territory
Elite warrior to police Osaka, elite archer to Osaka, fortify second injured chariot near Salamanca to heal.

We see iron east of Osaka. We must prevent the English from controlling that tile by building a town in that area, a colony may disappear if the English build a town in the desert to the east of Osaka. A good spot for a town is chosen, next to the lake. A temple there will enable access to the iron. For the first time ever, I think I’ll have to rush a settler (in Osaka). I scan English territory for more iron, and see iron next to London. Alpha is still fortified nearby. I move Alpha to the iron, to temporarily prevent a colony or road on the iron resource. Tied in tech with the Iroquois, I have 4gold, and +4gold/turn. The English have all the money, 261gold.
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	1325bc.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	66168  
Old March 3, 2004, 23:21   #133
Puma
Warlord

1300bc
1300bc
I can finally rush the settler in Osaka, where the bread surplus is at +3/turn and the bread counter has 18/20 breads, but I notice a few things before carrying out the rush.
First, I again see that a 10/30 completed item can be rushed at 1 citizen’s expense under despotism. I didn’t know that. I always have fun and simply wait until the option is available – without making intricate plans. Secondly, the advisor’s reminder that I’ll lose 1 citizen jumps out. I notice Osaka still has not grown to size 4, and I believe there must be 4 citizens in Osaka in order to make a settler, lose 1 citizen, and keep the city running with last citizen. So I hold on the settler rush.
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	1300bc.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	116.6 KB
ID:	66169  
Old March 3, 2004, 23:24   #134
Puma
Warlord

something else I didn't know
But here is the detailed truth, which I had not realized due to my inexperience with the mechanics of gaining citizens and rushing settlers.
In retrospect, I suspect that food and production gains are evaluated at the end of a turn, when forests are taken down and their 10 shield bonus is also included in the production evaluation; while on the other hand, citizen gains (due to the filling of the bread counter) and the emergence of completed products (due to the filling of the production counter) are executed at the beginning of the next turn. I always suspected this but never bothered to investigate/confirm it.
With my game choice, I held off on the rush
(1300bc, citizens=3, breadCounter=18/20, breadgain=+3/turn, settlerProduction=10/30) ended the turn
(1300bc, citizens=3, breadCounter=18+3/20, breadgain=+3/turn, settlerProduction=10+2/30=12/30),
waited until the following turn, filled the breadCounter and gained 1 citizen, where 4 citizens give Osaka +2/turn bread
(1275bc, citizens= 3+1=4, breadCounter=reset=0/20, breadgain=+2/turn, settlerProduction=12/30)
to rush the settler at the loss of 1 citizen - where 3 citizens give Osaka +3/turn bread
(1275bc, citizens=4-1=3, breadcounter=0/20, breadgain=+3/turn, settlerProduction=30/30),
ending the turn
(1275bc, citizens=3, breadcounter=0+3/20, breadgain=+3/turn, settlerProduction=30/30), and executing the settler’s production at the beginning of the next turn,
where 1 citizen gives +4/turn bread
(1250bc, citizens=3-2=1, breadcounter=3/20, breadgain=+4/turn settlerProduction=0/30).
Bam! A settler in 1250bc

On the other hand, while reconstructing some plays for the AAR
In 1300bc
(1300bc, citizens=3, breadCounter=18/20, breadgain=+3/turn, settlerProduction=10/30)
I rushed the settler, losing 1 citizen, where 2 citizens give Osaka +4/turn in bread
(1300bc, citizens=3-1, breadCounter=18/20, breadgain=+2turn, settlerProduction=30/30)
ending the turn
(1300bc, citizens=2, breadCounter=18+4/20, breadgain=+4/turn, settlerProduction=30/30)
beginning the next turn with the gain of citizen due to the filling of the breadCounter,
(1275bc, citizens=2+1=3, breadCounter=reset=0/20, breadgain=+3/turn, settlerProduction=30/30)
immediately followed by the execution of the settler’s production
(1275bc, citizens=3-2=1, breadCounter=0/20, breadgain=+3/turn, settlerProduction=0/30)
Bam Bam!! A settler in 1275bc - one turn earlier.
That would have been the best choice. My game choice cost me a turn, by which time the target square could’ve disappeared due to the expansion of the English borders at Canterbury.
Old March 3, 2004, 23:27   #135
Puma
Warlord

1275bc
1275bc
Chariot on Salamanca’s road heals, pillages the road to the wines, and fortifies there. This may lead the Iroquois to settle elsewhere. I rush the settler in Osaka. Treasury: 11gold, +2gold/turn. Writing in 37 turns. Slave pair lands on Osaka’s wheat.
1250bc and on
Settler produced in Osaka, heads towards target tile for town #3. Slaves irrigate Osaka’s wheat to bring population count up quickly. Second chariot heals, and proceeds north - with intent to trespass English territory in order to expose more English tiles. Elite archer arrives in Osaka. A slave pair completes mine on crop tile in Kyoto, starts roading the same tile. Now there are 5 tiles with 2shields+2food in Kyoto. Osaka’s elite archer is fortified. Alpha fortifies on the iron mountain east of London
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	1250bc.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	66170  
Old March 3, 2004, 23:29   #136
Puma
Warlord

1175bc and on
1175bc and on
Settler has completed in Kyoto, it moves out to found town #4, somewhere north of Osaka. Kyoto continues making settlers. Northern chariot trespasses English lands to reveal Warwick and surrounding terrain. Liz complains about my chariot’s intrusion – yes maam, I’ll get moving right out … The third city site is reached; but I finally realize that this isn’t the best spot. City #3 should be closer to the iron and have initial access to the cattle and plain squares. Settler moves, wasting another turn.
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	1175bc and on.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	66171  
Old March 3, 2004, 23:32   #137
Puma
Warlord

1125bc and on
Site #3, Tokyo is founded. It must produce a temple lest it convert to English law. Second slave pair leaves Kyoto and proceeds to connect the iron and Tokyo to Osaka. I goof around with the chariot at the north … there’s another iron resource by Nottingham. Liz keeps getting in the way of the fun, telling me to keep out of her territory. The English have masonry, but I can’t buy it. I’m surprised that England hasn’t already declared war. Are they really that passive? Generally, in emperor mode, I find myself surrounded by very annoyed neighbours, even when I don’t hurt anyone. I have developed a loathing for the Persians. What’s wrong Liz? Then, I remember that culturally-linked starting locations are set to off – that’s probably it. Specific location for town #4 must be chosen. Osaka’s floodplain wheat is roaded. One slave will connect town #4 to Osaka, one will improve Osaka’s second flood plain. Liz has recently researched mysticism.
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	1125bc.jpg
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	66172  
Old March 3, 2004, 23:35   #138
Puma
Warlord

1050bc
1050bc
Settler is ready in Kyoto. It heads towards the wine tiles southwest of Osaka, where NF used to be; we’ll settle town #5 there.
The Iroquois are stuck at 18gold. NF is back to size 1. They built something. I use my chariot near Salamanca to pillage the rest of the road near Salamanca.
Elizabeth hasn’t researched beyond writing, I am sure, given that she recently discovered mysticism.
I may have to hit the Iroquois soon again given that they just built a worker or another settler. Now is not the time to let even one mounted warrior around. My iron hookup will take sometime. I remember, Japanese horsemen can upgrade to samurai.
With writing in 28 turns, I decide to switch research to horseback riding and research it as fast as possible. Click on Horsebackriding in the F6 screen. Move the slider in the F1 screen to increase research. I only have 23 gold in my treasury. Setting research at 50% of commerce, horsebackriding is possible in 25 turns, at a net loss of 2gold/turn. Can’t afford that. Setting research at 40%, horseback riding is available in 38 turns at net gain of 0gold/turn. Not acceptable. When I go back to the F6 screen in order to switch research back to writing - which I know I can safely do, my writing research gets reset to 37 turns at my current 40% research rate. What? Oh no! I moved the slider! What was I thinking!?
I leave research on horsebackriding in 40turns, at 10% research rate, giving me a gain of 3gold/turn.
Now I think some more. Since the Ais give writing a high possession priority to the point that they even try extorting it from me – it is my suspicion and hope that Hiawatha will buy writing from England. I might need to give Hiawatha an extension in life – take writing from him, and then take the remaining techs (behind writing) by way of England. Anyway, at emperor level, the AI seems to trade with significantly more ease than I can with it, so I wouldn’t be surprised if Hiawatha somehow ends up getting writing. This sort of thing happens too often in huge maps. Maybe it’ll happen here too.
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	1050bc.jpg
Size:	18.9 KB
ID:	66173  
Old March 3, 2004, 23:36   #139
Puma
Warlord

1025bc
1025bc
City #4, Edo, is founded. The situation doesn’t look bad anymore. Kyoto begins spear production.
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	1025bc.jpg
Size:	18.2 KB
ID:	66174  
Old March 3, 2004, 23:39   #140
Puma
Warlord

1000bc
1000bc
Liz stopped complaining about my intrusions. She is building the Oracle. Sure whatever. I have learned to not even think about manually racing for the wonders in the Ancient Age, the AI’s advantage is just so great that if I try I’ll simply succeed in wasting shield production for 20 turns. F7 shows that no wonders have been completed. I also realize that as of now, I can’t tell if any more techs are researched. I finally have the right mind of moving the elite Osaka warrior to garrison Tokyo.
975bc
Liz has 295 in her account. I build city #5, Satsuma, on a wine tile, near NF’s ashes. It would have been better placed right on NF’s ashes, in order to enable citizen work on all four wine tiles; but I have a tremendous dislike for having to reconnect pillaged luxuries. Satsuma’s location is not great but it does the job of controling that territory.
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	0975bc.jpg
Size:	21.8 KB
ID:	66175  
Old March 3, 2004, 23:40   #141
Puma
Warlord

950bc and on
950bc
French build the Colossus. Liz has 296 in her account, apparently gaining 1gold/turn.
An Iroquois settler-spear team appears south of Salamanca. Good thing I already built Satsuma, hopefully their third city will be in a reasonable location so I can take it without having to resettle the area.
We now gain +7gold/turn. A spear from Kyoto heads to garrison Tokyo
900bc
Iroquois build Grand River again. My chariot leaves their territory and proceeds to garrison Satsuma.
875bc
I see that the space north of Edo remains free. It contains two unused cattle, a nearby river and some good tiles. I switch Osaka’s production to a settler, having mainly used the granary as a production storage device; settler is due in 2 turns. smile
Edo, to the north and Tokyo are still producing temple. Kyoto is producing spears.
Treasury is 39gold, and has a now whooping gain of 9gold/turn. We are growing people!
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	0875bc.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	18.0 KB
ID:	66176  
Old March 3, 2004, 23:42   #142
Puma
Warlord

850bc
850bc
Alpha near London gets booted from his mountain position. The English built Oxford, their ninth town, east of London, culturally covering the iron tile. I can’t see town 8, somewhere southeast of London.
And the turns continue …
Greeks build pyramids in Sparta on 750bc
Kyoto continues building spear. Satsuma starts on a temple. Tokyo’s cattle tile helps growth; work on barracks begins. War is coming. Edo is still chugging away at the temple. An Iroquois slave finally starts roading the Iron.

650bc
Japan’s treasury: 157gold, with a 14gold/turn gain.
Osaka’s settler builds Kagoshima to the north of Edo. Basically, all space is occupied on this continent. Kyoto can’t grow beyond 6 – starts producing worker.
Hiawatha, as hoped and suspected, has obtained writing. He will sell it for 157 gold and 1gold/turn. Too much I think. I would still need to get masonry and math after that. I build and wait. Those techs aren’t going anywhere. In retrospect, that was a very reasonable price. Wasn’t it?
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	0650bc.jpg
Size:	15.5 KB
ID:	66177  
Old March 3, 2004, 23:44   #143
Puma
Warlord

610bc and on
610bc and on
Iron is linked. Swordman production begins in Kyoto at 3 turns a pop. Osaka and Tokyo are working on barracks. Edo, Satsuma and Kagoshima are producing temples. We have 4 native workers and 4 slaves. I do not wish to produce anymore because populations must now increase to enable faster swordman production.
Horseback Riding in 21 turns, 182gold, 12gold/turn gain
English towns are growing now. The F3 military advisor indicates that with 6 warriors, 1 archer, 7 spears and 2 chariots I have an average army compared to England. I contact England, and then my diplomatic advisor says England’s military outnumbers mine. Those two guys never agree, but they still paint the picture. I also note that England has discovered horseback riding. Hiawatha still hasn’t hooked up his horses, still has 18gold, and possesses only 3 cities. Was my invasion that detrimental to the Iroquois? I have clearly over-estimated their comeback ability. They haven’t yet established an embassy with England.
I stop being picky about my workers’ duties.
I unnecessarily switch entertainment to 10% and leave it there because my garrison units are beginning to move around to the new towns, and I don’t want to micromanage citizen happiness. I dislike reloading due to a single city’s riot. The wine, silk and temples do the rest in terms of preventing a riot.

430bc
Hiawatha builds Allegheny on the western tip of the continent
Horseback riding due in 12 turns. Treasury: 302 gold +12gold/turn. Osaka and Tokyo are working on swords. Satsuma is working on barracks. Edo and Kagoshima, with high waste and corruption in the north, are still working on temples
I change Kyoto’s production to a settler because its breadCounter is almost full and Kyoto cannot grow beyond size 6. The computer had automatically placed Kyoto’s citizen #6 on the silk forest. Had I manually placed citizen 6 on the roaded grass, I would have obtained a higher breadgain rate while maintaining a 3turn swordsman production. The problem was that I was now flying through the game and missed that situation. Happens all the time. Having noticed this little situation, I realize that another town could make use of Kyoto’s western wheat without sacrificing Kyoto’s 3turn sword production.
Old March 3, 2004, 23:45   #144
Puma
Warlord

390bc and on
390bc
The Iroquois build the coastal town of Cattaraugus on a little space left north of Salamanca. Japan’s settler emerges in Kyoto; Kyoto.size= 4. I send settler onto a coastal hill between Satsuma and Kyoto. The hope is for another low corruption city, with citizen 1 accessing Kyoto’s western wheat.
370bc
I order the founding of Japan’s town #7, Nara; but I forget to set citizen 1’s tile.
I use a worker pair to hack a forest near Nara in order to speed up Nara’s temple.
Kyoto’s 4 citizens add 9 shields to production, and Kyoto grows back to 5.
England kicks my chariot out of the north. England totals 10 settlements.
350bc and on
Kyoto is back to 11 shields per turn, allowing for another 3 turn sword
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	0370bc.jpg
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	66178  
Old March 3, 2004, 23:47   #145
Puma
Warlord

290bc and on
290bc and on
Satsuma, Kyoto, Tokyo, Osaka are building swords. Edo is building barracks. Kagoshima is still crawling on the temple.
When the time comes, one front of swords will attack Niagara Falls from Kagoshima, while the other front will attack Grand River from Satsuma’s direction.
Horse riding due in 5 turns. Treasury: 385gold, +13gold/turn. The Romans complete The Oracle.
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	0290bc and on.jpg
Size:	23.1 KB
ID:	66179  
Old March 3, 2004, 23:50   #146
Puma
Warlord

190bc
190bc
Horseback riding discovered, “Okay what’s the big picture” … I take advantage of the availability of the diplomacy screen to immediately contact England. I had considered getting writing from the Iroquois; but they are about to get wasted and that money would better help England do research. I think. England wants 390gold and world map for the masonry-writing combo. Elizabeth is a blasted thief! Without much haggling I quickly work it to only 360 gold. She accepts. I refused to trade my world map because I think the AI tends to attack when it becomes aware of my complete road network. I continue, checking the other advisor screens. I discover that England has philosophy, code of laws, and mapmaking. Liz’s treasury holds 675gold. The Great Lighthouse is being built in Warwick.
Warwick is size 3 and very far from London. Our continent will probably lose the GLight to another civ. Japan has 97gold, +13gold/turn. Math is set to 40 turns research. The sword count has reached 10. We have about the same number of units as England, but we are stronger now.
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	0190bc.jpg
Size:	28.4 KB
ID:	66180  
Old March 3, 2004, 23:53   #147
Puma
Warlord

170bc War!
170bc
The Iroquois have acquired Mapmaking (for what must be a gpt deal) from England, and all their towns are size 1 again. Hiawatha hasn’t hooked his horse yet – something is wrong with the AI.
Japan leads the Iroquois by masonry and horseback riding. With a reasonable sword production, and a clear need for more cities, Japan wishes to unsheath the blades.
I contact the Iroquois. I wish to renegotiate peace terms. The Iroquois want an even deal: peace for peace. I want to get Niagara Falls or Grand River from them in exchange for peace, but Hiawatha isn’t willing to give any of them up. The plan was to take either or both cities through the deal, garrison the gains, and then proceed to declare war anyway. The intention was to prevent the autorazing of the size 1 towns. But Hiawatha is not cooperating. “Forget it.” Out come the swords.

War!