Old July 15, 2002, 23:48   #1
The_Aussie_Lurker
BtS Tri-League
King

Local Time: 04:23
Local Date: November 1, 2010
What Top 5 things do you want to be able to do with the new editor?
Hi Guys,

With the new patch coming out SOON!!! And with the main focus being on a more flexible editor!! (Yay!!) I was curious to know what Apolytoners most want to able to do with it (which they can't do with the current editor-hacked or unhacked!) For instance, my priorities would be:

1) An events scripting language for scenarios.

2) The ability to add unlimited new techs, units, resources etc, as well as being able to adjust the number of points needed for Culture Victory!

3) The ability to mix and match flags from various types of buildings, as well as between buildings and units!

4) An ability to create improvements or wonders which increase the Optimal number of cities for corruption purposes (as opposed to just the "Centre of Empire" flag).

5) The ability to make subtle adjustments to existing unit and building flags. eg. for TMP, I'd like to change "Nukes for all Civs" to "Nukes for 1 Civ" or changing double happiness flag (for certain religious wonders) to double production or double commerce.

Anyway, I hope you all understand my intent! If anyone has their own top 5 then I, for one, would love to hear about them!!

Yours,
The_Aussie_Lurker.
Old July 15, 2002, 23:59   #2
Coracle
Prince

Local Time: 23:23
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Adding new units without having to tweak and change the arts/units folders to prevent crashing. IT IS A PAIN to do so.

Being able to turn off Culture Flipping.

Adding new techs.

Activating a cheat mode, or at least unit placement and controlling accelerated startups.

Real scenarios.

A lot of stuff Civ 2 had.
Old July 16, 2002, 01:28   #3
star mouse
Civilization III Democracy Game
Prince

Local Time: 15:23
I would like to see the removal of hardcoded resource limits in the game. People have reported that if they have more than 8 resources of a given type, the game crashes. Although the game allows the resources.pcx file to have many resources in it, it doesn't allow you to use more than 24.

I would love to add more Bonus resources to the game in particular. Oases in deserts, stone deposits in hills, that sort of thing. A custom resources.pcx file will be needed, but that shouldn't be a problem....
Old July 16, 2002, 03:35   #4
zulu9812
King

1) Removal of all hard-coded limits

2)The ability to place cities and units on the map in the editor

3)Mini-map

4)the ability to add eras

5)the ability to add new city graphics
I think holding hands can be more erotic than 'slamming it in the ass' - Pekka, thinking that he's messed up
Old July 16, 2002, 04:02   #5
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

Local Time: 00:23
1) Customizable Unit/City placement (duh).

2) Embed graphics INTO the scenario, instead of using the external files.

3) Mini Map!

4) Being able to import a set of rules into a map, and vice-versa (copying rules from 1 map to the other manually is such a PAIN! ).

5) More customization of combat/properties of units and buildings (won't happen).

And a bonus... * Scripting/events (which won't happen either ).
Old July 16, 2002, 04:36   #6
wervdon
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Prince

Local Time: 22:23
1) Unique Improvements for civs
2) Removing the distinction between improvement/wonder/small wonder flags so you can mix and max.
3) Ability to add eras.
4) AI scripting (simple stuff like Huns declare war Romans on turn 70)
5) Flags to allow 2 bombard units to counter-bombard when bombarded. (Bombard back against land units, bombard back against air units, bombard back against sea units) Or another method to setup units which can shoot down planes which bombard them

-----
I didnt list unit placement, city placement, minimap etc cause as far as I know its been more or less confirmed for this patch So I just listed my wish list instead.
Old July 16, 2002, 04:40   #7
Deathwalker
Prince

The thing I want most is to remove all harcoded limits and an events editor to make sure that in a scenario the two sides will stay at war with each other
Old July 16, 2002, 05:52   #8
star mouse
Prince

Local Time: 15:23
Quote:
Originally posted by Trip
3) Mini Map!
When I asked about this in the 1.17f chat, Mark B of Firaxis indicated that the minimap was in the to-do list. With the editor known to be enhanced for the latest patch, I think the mini-map for the editor is almost certain to be in this patch.
Old July 16, 2002, 07:20   #9
WarpStorm
King

I'm afraid most of you will be somewhat disappointed, then. Everything I've read leads me to believe it's basically the same editor as 1.21 with a mini-map, zoom, and the ability to add new stuff (units, governments, buildings, techs) and place units and cities.

While this is a big improvement, I've never read that there would be events (in fact, I believe I read in one of the chats that Mike B is against scripting) or any of the really radical ideas you guys are expecting/suggesting.

Last edited by WarpStorm; July 16, 2002 at 08:22.
Old July 16, 2002, 07:57   #10
sabrewolf
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization IV CreatorsC3CDG Desolation RowCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 06:23
well, now that the editor is finished and coming out this week, there's no real point in saying, what you'd like in it... because either it is, or it isn't

maybe the thread should be changed into "what should be in the NEXT editor"

btw: firaxis: give us scripting and we'll make civ3 to the best an only-played TBG in the next 3 years and it would boost the sales for PTW incredibly!
Old July 16, 2002, 08:19   #11
Vlad Antlerkov
King

1) AI scripting (events)
2) Unique wonders/improvements for civs
3) Allow the addition of more CSAs (and the ability to edit existing CSAs)
4) Removing most hard-coded limits
5) Directly place cities and units on the world map
Old July 16, 2002, 08:46   #12
dunk
Prince

1) To use the editor to add units, civs, buildings, wonders, small wonders without having to fiddle with the folders.

2) Some "Browse" buttons in the editor.

3) New Civ Abilities would be cool.

4) More culture flipping, just to p!ss Coracle off.

5) More bonus resources of course. Banannas, Oases!!
Old July 16, 2002, 08:53   #13
wervdon
Prince

Quote:
I'm afraid most of you will be somewhat disappointed, then.
Nah, I won't be disappointed, I just said what id like to see not what I really expect to see. I am semi-hoping to be pleasantly surprised about being able to do unique improvements/wonders though (at least in ptw)
Old July 16, 2002, 09:43   #14
Willem
Emperor

Local Time: 21:23
Quote:
Originally posted by star mouse
I would like to see the removal of hardcoded resource limits in the game. People have reported that if they have more than 8 resources of a given type, the game crashes. Although the game allows the resources.pcx file to have many resources in it, it doesn't allow you to use more than 24.

I would love to add more Bonus resources to the game in particular. Oases in deserts, stone deposits in hills, that sort of thing. A custom resources.pcx file will be needed, but that shouldn't be a problem....
You're mistaken. Having more than 8 Luxuries can cause problems, but there's no limits for anything else. You can certainly have far more than 24 resources if you want, that's always been possible.

The problem used to be that you could only have 24 distinct icons in the game, anything more and the graphic wouldn't appear on the map, so you'd end up with an invisible resource. However, you could double or triple the same graphic all you wanted to. Some people for a strange reason, were able to get up to 82 icons, though that was an exception.

In the last patch though this was changed. I've heard that there is now a limit of 36 distinct icons possible, though looking at the readme, it sounds like there shouldn't be any limit. I haven't put it to the test myself, since for the time being at least, I'm happy with the number of resources I have.
Old July 16, 2002, 09:50   #15
Willem
Emperor

Local Time: 21:23
Quote:
Originally posted by dunk

5) More bonus resources of course. Banannas, Oases!!
Create your own! I came across a decent Oasis graphic that I've added to my game, and there's a few Banana icons kicking around as well.
Old July 16, 2002, 15:40   #16
Jeph
Settler

Local Time: 20:23
I want the ability to add new spy missions. I know they took out some espionage missions and if they are not ever going to put them back in I want the ability to do so in the editor. I miss poisoning water supplies and blowing up buildings with my spy Hell, I even miss the damn nuclear explosions the old spy could perform but I could live without that one, or at least put it in the editor so WE can decide for ourselves. I was thinking of an idea for a spy unit but don't think it would work the way I wanted. Do you think you can make a unit that is invisible like a sub but could perform "covert" bombing missions? The only way I can think of doing it is precision strikes. Probably wouldn't work but any way talk to you all later
Old July 16, 2002, 18:06   #17
Gangerolf
Prince

Local Time: 05:23
add civs
Old July 16, 2002, 18:59   #18
The_Aussie_Lurker
BtS Tri-League
King

Well, it does seem that someone DID misunderstand my intent. This top 5 list has NOTHING at all to do with trying to influence the outcome of the upcoming patch (though, as has been suggested by Sabrewolf, it might influence future patches) it is just an attempt to gauge other people's editor priorities, and what THEY hope will be in!
Though nothing has been confirmed (yet), I know that pooling of the flags for improvements and Wonders (Great and Small) was touted by Mike as being high on their list of priorities. Mike and Co. have also NEVER ruled out an Events Scripting language for scenarios (a la Civ2), what he has ruled out is a more general scripting language (I understand there IS a difference!), which they believe is just a way to add bugs!
As for everything else, though, all bets are off! At least til Wednesday

Yours,
The_Aussie_Lurker.
Old July 16, 2002, 19:20   #19
sabrewolf
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization IV CreatorsC3CDG Desolation RowCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

the readme's until 95% were like
"fixed civilopedia entry for XXXX"
"fixed animation for unit YYYY"

it's the other 5% we're waiting for

aussie_lurker:
ok, in that case i'll add my 5 (civ-player-)editor wishes
1) simple unit adding (civilopedia, animation, all automatically)
2) simple improvement/wonder adding
3) tech-tree designer (drag&drop, connect)
4) separate magament of general, rules, units, civs, improvements. so i can combine map X with rulesmod Y and civs Z1, Z2, etc. (--> probably not solvable because it's a GUI-editor and not a text/binary-file editor )
5) wizard for "Events Scripting language" (what you said in your last post
Old July 16, 2002, 20:06   #20
SubLimey
Settler

Personally, I look forward to:

1) Mini map
2) Placing starting locations
3) Adding civs
4) Add units
5) Add buildings, wonders

Wishfull thinking: Would like to be able to do leader graphics though ed, coz I'm not too bright with that kind of thing otherwise.

BTW Trip & sabrewolf: re importing rules - isn't this possible already (in a somewhat roundabout way)? If you rename the rules set you want to civ3mod.bic then open the map & select default rules, then open rules again wouldn't they stick? Haven't tried, but it might be worth a shot.
Old July 16, 2002, 20:11   #21
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

Quote:
Originally posted by star mouse
When I asked about this in the 1.17f chat, Mark B of Firaxis indicated that the minimap was in the to-do list. With the editor known to be enhanced for the latest patch, I think the mini-map for the editor is almost certain to be in this patch.
I know, I talked to Mike earlier and he already confirmed that it would be in.

That was just my list of most important things I wanted above all else (including things that are already included/confirmed).
Old July 16, 2002, 20:15   #22
sabrewolf
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by SubLimey
BTW Trip & sabrewolf: re importing rules - isn't this possible already (in a somewhat roundabout way)? If you rename the rules set you want to civ3mod.bic then open the map & select default rules, then open rules again wouldn't they stick? Haven't tried, but it might be worth a shot.
yes, you can have a custom map with a rules-mod.

but in the rules the units, improvements, civs, governements are included. if these were independent, you could make all kind of combination. until now you had to tweak every mod with your own preferences (e.g. corruption)
Old July 16, 2002, 20:19   #23
wervdon
Prince

Just in case anyone doesn't know you can use Gramphos's multi-tool to mix and match rules & maps from different bics. It works pretty good and is a quick download. I'd like "official" support for that too (and I think they said there is in PtW), but its not high on my wish list cause thanks to Gramphos it can already be done fairly easily.

If you need to find Gramphos's Multi-tool just look on the file's forum, there's a link to it in the topped file's index thread.
Old July 16, 2002, 20:54   #24
Barfus
Warlord

Location: I am the last Roman. Or is it Irish-Roman-American?
sublimey, are you really a manx? never talked to one before.

but to the topic, ive been waiting for something like scripting/events controlling for some time. i want to be able to make a scenario with at LEAST the ability to start off certain civs in alliance/war with each other.

but heres the top 5 for the editor

1, minimap (i cant stand this isnt in there already)
2, player start locations!!!!! christ how can we play earth maps when zulu are setting up base of opeations in london's turf!!!!????
3, easy addition of units. adding image files to a folder by hand i can deal with
4, better manipulatability (is that a word?) of the tech tree and its corresponding graphics in the game.
5, ability to add civs and govs and civ unique govs. for instance, rome had a republic when most of the mediterranean was believing kings were semi-divine. nazis, as germans, could hardly exist outside germany (which partially explains its stupidity)....but anyway, i always thought that would be cool. the only feasible way i saw to bring it out was maybe have some type of restricted tech that only a certain civ could get.....whatever.

thats my list and im stickin to it...i think
Old July 17, 2002, 09:29   #25
WarpStorm
King

Quote:
Originally posted by wervdon
If you need to find Gramphos's Multi-tool just look on the file's forum, there's a link to it in the topped file's index thread.
I imagine the multi-tool will need rewritten once the patch comes out.