Old July 16, 2002, 09:51   #1
Ferdi
Warlord

Local Time: 06:26
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Tax/Science efficiency
Usually I change every turn the % of tax/science to maximise the tax output.
I observed that in some conditions you can decrease the funds alowed to science (and increase tax output) without altering the number of turns to get the tech. It is particularly true when it remains only a few turns.

I have the feeling to lose gold when I forget to do that.
Is it really usefull?
Old July 16, 2002, 09:59   #2
Willem
Emperor

Local Time: 21:26
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Yes definitely. If you don't keep an eye on it, you could lose a lot of money, especially when you get into Democracy. I've seen it make a 200+ per turn difference just adjusting the slider a notch or two, with no effect on my research turns. It's especially useful if you're only 1 turn away from completing a tech, since you can pretty much turn off your science completely then.
Old July 16, 2002, 10:13   #3
dunk
Prince

Local Time: 00:26
That's what I do. When I am one turn away, I adjust the science / tax slider. I usually don't bother with it until I'm making a lot of money, but I almost always remember in the mid - late middle ages.
Old July 16, 2002, 10:15   #4
vondrack
lifer
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEMPtWDG Legoland
Emperor

Local Time: 05:26
Quote:
Originally posted by Willem
Yes definitely. If you don't keep an eye on it, you could lose a lot of money, especially when you get into Democracy. I've seen it make a 200+ per turn difference just adjusting the slider a notch or two, with no effect on my research turns. It's especially useful if you're only 1 turn away from completing a tech, since you can pretty much turn off your science completely then.
Exactly. I must admit that it is rather annoying... There are two very simple, yet elegant fixes available:

1) Let the science beakers carry over
As a side effect of one discovery, a progress is made in a different field of research. This seems to be the best solution to me, although unlikely to be implemented by Firaxis... things do not carry over in Civ3 (with the exception of unhappiness, that is... ).

2) Make the extra beakers change into money
...that is automatically added to your treasury. This actually does exactly what we have to do manually now - it may be that the new tech is used in the commercial sphere, effectively generating some money... coming from patents sold to commercial subjects, an effect of better productivity etc.

Also, is it just me or do you find the 10% increments EXTREMELY big too? It is okay in the ancient and medieval eras, but later on, I can usually choose only between making lots of money or losing lots of money... it is tough to balance it with 10% steps... what was the reason for making fine adjustments so difficult? (Soren?)
Old July 16, 2002, 11:21   #5
Iskandar Reza
Civilization III PBEM
Prince

Local Time: 12:26
Quote:
Originally posted by dunk
That's what I do. When I am one turn away, I adjust the science / tax slider. I usually don't bother with it until I'm making a lot of money, but I almost always remember in the mid - late middle ages.
Sometimes you can change it even if you're 2 or 3 turns away without affecting the number of turns left.

Micromanagement. The secret to all Civ-based games.
"Who's your Daddy? You know who your Daddy is, huh?? It's me! Yeah.. I'm your Daddy! Uh-huh! How come I'm your Daddy! 'Coz I did this to your Mama? Yeah, your Mama! Yeah this your Mama! Your Mama! You suck man, but your Mama's sweet! You suck, but your Mama, ohhh... Uh-huh, your Mama! Far out man, you do suck, but not as good as your Mama! So what's it gonna be? Spit or swallow, sissy boy?" - Superfly, joecartoon
Old July 16, 2002, 11:45   #6
lockstep
Apolyton University
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Iskandar Reza
In SMAC, the first 10 shields of a finished unit/building carried over to the next one ... I really miss that feature in Civ3.
"As far as general advice on mod-making: Go slow as far as adding new things to the game until you have the basic game all smoothed out ... Make sure the things you change are really imbalances and not just something that doesn't fit with your particular style of play." - WesW
Old July 16, 2002, 11:49   #7
Iskandar Reza
Civilization III PBEM
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by lockstep

In SMAC, the first 10 shields of a finished unit/building carried over to the next one ... I really miss that feature in Civ3.
It just means you have to plan your strat differently.
"Who's your Daddy? You know who your Daddy is, huh?? It's me! Yeah.. I'm your Daddy! Uh-huh! How come I'm your Daddy! 'Coz I did this to your Mama? Yeah, your Mama! Yeah this your Mama! Your Mama! You suck man, but your Mama's sweet! You suck, but your Mama, ohhh... Uh-huh, your Mama! Far out man, you do suck, but not as good as your Mama! So what's it gonna be? Spit or swallow, sissy boy?" - Superfly, joecartoon
Old July 16, 2002, 11:58   #8
lockstep
Apolyton University
King

IMO, it means that in Civ3 I'd have to fiddle with my citizens in any city that is about to finish a unit/building, changing the production of shields (that I would lose anyway the next turn) to commerce (which I won't lose). I wouldn't call that strategy, only micro-management.

Note: I can't bring myself to do this, but it is obviously done by other players (e.g. in the Civ3 Democratic Game).
"As far as general advice on mod-making: Go slow as far as adding new things to the game until you have the basic game all smoothed out ... Make sure the things you change are really imbalances and not just something that doesn't fit with your particular style of play." - WesW
Old July 16, 2002, 12:00   #9
Iskandar Reza
Civilization III PBEM
Prince

Call it pain in the arse.
Old July 16, 2002, 13:50   #10
Ferdi
Warlord

Local Time: 06:26
Quote:
Originally posted by vondrack

1) Let the science beakers carry over
As a side effect of one discovery, a progress is made in a different field of research. This seems to be the best solution to me, although unlikely to be implemented by Firaxis... things do not carry over in Civ3 (with the exception of unhappiness, that is... ).
Like CIV2. It's the best solution.
Old July 16, 2002, 13:56   #11
Cookie Monster
King

Local Time: 23:26
Local Date: October 31, 2010
In the beginning of my games I just set TSL to 8.2.0 and buy all my techs or beat them out of the other civs.

Later when I have the infrastructure in place I begin to micromanage the rates.
Old July 16, 2002, 16:02   #12
dunk
Prince

Local Time: 00:26
Quote:
Originally posted by Iskandar Reza

Sometimes you can change it even if you're 2 or 3 turns away without affecting the number of turns left.

I'm too lazy to do that. The last turn is all I'll do.