Old July 17, 2002, 14:14   #91
KingJoshi
Settler

Local Time: 23:29
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Hey Firaxis,

Another question. How much has the file formats changed?

Admirer of the Double Your Pleasure mod which you can discuss about at this thread.
Old July 17, 2002, 14:20   #92
dunk
Prince

Local Time: 00:29
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Re: 1.29f PATCH README
Quote:
Originally posted by MarkG
* Added Fortify All and Wake All right-click menu commands.
Of the same type or everyone?

Quote:
* Editor: Added unit properties.
What properties?

Quote:
* Editor: Enabled Add/Delete buttons for Civilizations.
YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Note that there is a maximum of 32 Civilizations.

Quote:
* Editor: Enabled Add/Delete buttons for Citizens.

* Editor: Enabled Add/Delete buttons for Civilization Advances.

* Editor: Enabled Add/Delete buttons for Improvements and Wonders. Note that there is a limit of 256 Improvements and Wonders. Also, changing Improvements and Wonders will have NO effect on the city view screen. The city view screen will behave as though the improvements have not been modified .
YAY!!!! And also to the other Add / Delete buttons added. WOO HOO!!!

Quote:
* Added the ability to rename units if they produce a great leader during combat. The player is given a popup to name this unit.
Very cool.

Quote:
* Editor: Optimized citizen and government pages slightly.
Advisors? >8 civ-friendly foreign advisor?

Quote:
* Fixed bug in Foreign Advisor with the display of some leader heads.
Maybe this is it.

Quote:
* Fixed crash that occurred when there are not enough starting locations to play a game. Now, an error message is displayed and the game exits.
Ick. So if the map generator screws up, the game exits?
Old July 17, 2002, 14:22   #93
The Pioneer
Prince

Local Time: 05:29
Quote:
Originally posted by Alexnm
I'd like to add that it is nice to see the Firaxians posting here, not only Mike, but also Soren. Good support, guys.
I second that, it's impressive to see them hang around the forum to discuss the new patch with us!

Old July 17, 2002, 14:29   #94
monkspider
Civilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
King

This looks like an incredibly wonderful patch, thanks Firaxis!
Old July 17, 2002, 14:32   #95
KingJoshi
Settler

I third that. I was excited to see stuff they put in the patch but even more pleasantly surprised that they read and answered some questions. These are the best PR guys for the company (including the other Firaxians who've chatted and posted

Admirer of the Double Your Pleasure mod which you can discuss about at this thread.
Old July 17, 2002, 15:01   #96
FrantzX
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Warlord

Hey Mike B. or Soren, any improvements to the AI?
Old July 17, 2002, 15:02   #97
Saint Marcus
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III Multiplayer
King

Sounds very good.

Two questions (maybe I overlooked them).

1. Can you now add/delete units in the editor (not map)?

2. Can you toggle historically correct starting locations?
Old July 17, 2002, 15:08   #98
dunk
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Saint Marcus
Sounds very good.

Two questions (maybe I overlooked them).

1. Can you now add/delete units in the editor (not map)?
Yes, it was listed somewhere in this thread as "Things we missed in the first readme".

Quote:
Originally posted by Saint Marcus
2. Can you toggle historically correct starting locations?
What you can do is set the starting location for the civs in the game. So, someone would have to make a mod with everyone's correct starting location.
Old July 17, 2002, 15:22   #99
Desert Dog
Warlord

Local Time: 20:29
Civ placement
Forgive me if I missed this from a previous post asking this?

Can we now place any civilization where we want on the map? Please say yes and not say, "Not until PTW XP comes out? Make my day, week, month will you
Old July 17, 2002, 15:22   #100
Kal-el
Warlord

Local Time: 20:29
Quote:
* Added error handling for scenarios with an incorrect number of difficulty levels, eras, espionage missions, experience levels, worker jobs, terrain types, and world sizes. The player will be given a message and the game will exit.
Does this mean we will not be able to add experience levels? Not that it was working properly now, but I was kinda hoping that we would eventually be able to have this feature.

Can we now have more than 36 total resources? Does it matter what order the resources are in in the pcx file?

Did you guys ever figure out what happened to the rivers? i.e. Why do they connect differently now as opposed to the original version of the game?

Are we still unable to make improvements other than Great Wonders obsolete?
Old July 17, 2002, 15:38   #101
CivGeneral
Never Ending StoriesTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG The Human HivePtWDG2 Monty PythonApolyton University
Warlord

New Age
At last. A Golden Age for scenarios . Hopefully the trigers and other scenario events are coming in the PTW Expantion.
"All your base are belong to us" -Cats | "You don't leave an enemy at your back. Not if you like living." - Mara Jade | "You know the first rule in combat? ...shoot them before they shoot you." - Faye Valentine
Old July 17, 2002, 15:41   #102
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

Re: New Age
Quote:
Originally posted by Civfan01
At last. A Golden Age for scenarios . Hopefully the trigers and other scenario events are coming in the PTW Expantion.
Dan said that events were "on the wish list".

Hopefully they'll make it, I think it would be a very important addition.
Old July 17, 2002, 15:48   #103
rflagg
Settler

Local Time: 04:29
we need to know!
ugh, sorry for going on about it, but I feel it's a critical thing to know:

Can we edit the diplomatic relationships between ai civs? Dan? Soren? Mike? Sid?

I can live without events, and I'd be fine if we have to wait until the final patch for PTW for them. Don't get me wrong, the Lord of the Rings Scenario for Civ II wouldn't have been the same without them, but, there were so many great scenarios before that created without scripted events. But, they would've only been altered maps if it weren't for the ability to create good/bad relations between civilizations.

Please tell us? We already love you forever, but we'll also start sending you envelopes of unmarked bills everyday if you let us know. Thanks!

-Rflagg.
Old July 17, 2002, 15:55   #104
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta

Mike is online, but he no speak. Answer us, oh Enlightened One!
Old July 17, 2002, 16:07   #105
Boris Godunov
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 21:29
That's a critical point: Will I be able to force alliances and other diplomatic relationships for scenarios? If I'm making a WWII scenario, I want to make it impossible for Britain or Russia to grovel for peace when the panzers--er, I mean, I want the nations to maintain their historical stances.
Old July 17, 2002, 16:08   #106
Sabre2th
King

Old July 17, 2002, 16:08   #107
rflagg
Settler

I'm crazy.
I hope I'm not the only one sitting at work refreshing this window every 2 or 3 minutes. And I hope that shows how much I love this game and look forward to playing with the patch. I work in Beltsville MD, Mike, so if you want I can drive over and ask you in person then come back and post it on here if necessary.

-Rflagg.
Old July 17, 2002, 16:09   #108
Alex
Emperor

Local Time: 01:29
Re: Civ placement
Quote:
Originally posted by Desert Dog
Forgive me if I missed this from a previous post asking this?

Can we now place any civilization where we want on the map? Please say yes and not say, "Not until PTW XP comes out? Make my day, week, month will you
Here:

"Editor: Implemented city placement. You can now add, delete and edit cities. When a city is placed, a unique name is automatically generated for it. City art will match the era of the player it is assigned to."
Old July 17, 2002, 16:18   #109
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 06:29
Impressive patch ! It was definitely worth the waiting

Quote:
* Editor: Changed maximum allowable value for Appearance Ratio for resources to 900.
What was the previous max. value ?

Quote:
* Made a slight change to placement of goody huts and bonus grassland tiles. This will have no effect on existing maps and saved games but it will cause new seed-generated maps to be generated differently than they were prior to this version (i.e., using the same seed before this version and after this version will produce maps with a different distribution of goody huts and bonus grassland tiles).
Will this affect the NUMBER of goody hut, or will there be as many goody huts, but distributed differently ?

Quote:
* Removed the water restriction from terraforming so that all terraform types are now based on the terrain type (except for forts).
Don't we need fresh water to irrigate anymore ?

Quote:
* Noted that a Marketplace is required to build a Bank in its Civilopedia entry.
* Noted that a Factory is required to build a Manufacturing Plant in its Civilopedia entry.
* Noted that a Factory is required to build a Coal Plant in its Civilopedia entry.
* Noted that a Factory is required to build a Solar Plant in its Civilopedia entry.
* Noted that a Factory is required to build a Hydro Plant in its Civilopedia entry.
* Noted that a Factory is required to build a Nuclear Plant in its Civilopedia entry.
* Noted that a University is required to build a Research Lab in its Civilopedia entry.
Is it specifically written, or does the program automatically update the Civilopedia when you check the "requires building" box ?

Also, Soren told us commercial trait would be improved in the patch, Commercial Civs having +4 to their optimal number of cities, rather than +2 previously. Is it still in the patch ?

Again, thanks for this great work !
Old July 17, 2002, 16:27   #110
lockstep
Apolyton University
King

Quote:
* Moved tech icons into pediaicons.txt.
No more crashes after adding a tech and viewing the Civilopedia! Yeah!
"As far as general advice on mod-making: Go slow as far as adding new things to the game until you have the basic game all smoothed out ... Make sure the things you change are really imbalances and not just something that doesn't fit with your particular style of play." - WesW
Old July 17, 2002, 16:31   #111
Level
Warlord

Re: I'm crazy.
Quote:
Originally posted by rflagg
I hope I'm not the only one sitting at work refreshing this window every 2 or 3 minutes. And I hope that shows how much I love this game and look forward to playing with the patch. I work in Beltsville MD, Mike, so if you want I can drive over and ask you in person then come back and post it on here if necessary.

-Rflagg.
Your not the only one, I have three windows open: this one, one at civfanatic, and one to browse the other treads.
My units: MechWalker,Rocket soldier,Hover Tank,Crawler,Hover Copter
Old July 17, 2002, 16:35   #112
Flinx
CTP2 Source Code Project
Prince

BUG NOT FIXED
Quote:
kind of a big list, huh?

Thanks to Firaxis' Barry Caudill
Some very useful additions, changes and fixes but one bug that I wish would get fixed is this one [does this happen to anyone else? ]:

When any ship is selected, click the move button to get the automatic movement path line attached to the cursor; move the cursor to the very top or very bottom of the screen to have the map scroll quickly; if you allow the map to reach the polar ice caps and the cursor is still at the top/bottom of the screen (you are trying to scroll past the end of the map I suppose) the game freezes; Ctrl-Alt-Del is the only way to recover and then start the game again and load the last autosave.
Have you switched to Firefox yet?
Old July 17, 2002, 16:36   #113
sysopje
Settler

i hope the ability to get 2 settlers at the beginning is in the fix too.
Old July 17, 2002, 16:36   #114
Oerdin
Deity

The patch looks impressive when listed and I can't wait to see it myself. There is one problem though. Does this mean I still can't see all 16 players in the diplomacy sreen? I didn't see that listed as fixed and I'm getting worried because it is a major bug.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old July 17, 2002, 16:45   #115
dunk
Prince

Re: I'm crazy.
Quote:
Originally posted by rflagg
I hope I'm not the only one sitting at work refreshing this window every 2 or 3 minutes.
Nope.
Old July 17, 2002, 16:47   #116
dunk
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Oerdin
The patch looks impressive when listed and I can't wait to see it myself. There is one problem though. Does this mean I still can't see all 16 players in the diplomacy sreen? I didn't see that listed as fixed and I'm getting worried because it is a major bug.
I saw something to the effect of "fixed bug with diplomacy screen and showing faces." I'm not sure if that is the 8 face maximum or not. I hope they fixed it too.
Old July 17, 2002, 16:49   #117
Alex
Emperor

Local Time: 01:29
Quote:
Unfortunately, I don't see that fix listed. On the other hand, I don't think it is a bug, but a design decision (the game was originally designed to work with 8 civs max.) Correct me if I'm wrong.
Old July 17, 2002, 16:51   #118
Boris Godunov
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Quote:
That's not a bug, that's how it was designed. They decided it was too cluttered with 16 on the diplomacy screen (or the code too hard to do after it had already been made just for 8, or something like that...).

You'll probably just have to stick with rotating the heads in and out for now.
Old July 17, 2002, 16:58   #119
Jon Shafer

Re: Re: I'm crazy.
Quote:
Originally posted by Level
Your not the only one, I have three windows open: this one, one at civfanatic, and one to browse the other treads.
I have a fourth for the chatroom, just in case.
Old July 17, 2002, 17:03   #120
Flinx
CTP2 Source Code Project
Prince

Quote:
* Added "Always Renegotiate Deals" prefs which forces a renegotiation of every non-peace treaty deal every 20 turns.
I would have preferred if the diplomatic advisor reminded you that a deal has been in place for 20 turns and there was a option at that time to renegotiate or leave in place for another 5 turns, 10 turns or 20 turns (4 options). Sometimes you can loose a lot on renegotiations, so I don't want to automatically renegotiate a deal where I'm getting 110 gold/turn for my silks but I might want to renegotiate a deal where I am only getting 4 gold/turn for my spices.

It would also be good if the diplomatic advisor let you know that a deal has automatically ended e.g. you gave ivory to get an advance or you sold an advance for 47 gold/turn. With the notice you would know that your ivory is free to be sold for gold or another advance or that if you are racing to finish an advance and running a -50 deficit it is going to be -97 gold /turn and you can revisit the situation.