Old July 18, 2002, 09:07   #181
The Pioneer
Prince

Local Time: 05:29
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Only as a sidenote I just noticed that there has been over 10000 viewings of this thread which shows how anxiously we all have waited for the patch!

Another 24hrs to go baby.
Old July 18, 2002, 09:20   #182
DrFell
Civilization II Multiplayer
King

One thing I noticed that no one asked about was the 'Accelerated Production' option. Is this what it sounds like, some option to speed up production of units/improvements etc. as a fast multiplay option? If so, it's just what I was looking for so

Overall the patch as a whole seems pretty good too. The only major thing missing is an events scripting language now, and of course multiplay
Old July 18, 2002, 09:55   #183
rflagg
Settler

Local Time: 04:29
I'm awake and on my way to work! Firaxians, need me to leave early to stop by and get an answer regarding the diplomacy editor settings? I also wonder if there's any chance for an early release on the patch like they've done in the past.

On a side note, the whole deal about the road/commerce issue is fairly straightforward - they created this option so that you can effectively make terrain that you nor the AI would build roads on. Also, you could set coastal and sea squares to have commerce value, and be able to then build on them (with the right tech). It's pretty straight forward, and an effective way to make sure the AI doesn't waste time with calculating where to build it's roads.

Back to the main topic! WE NEED TO KNOW ABOUT DIPLOMACY OPTIONS! We love the patch too, look forward to having *months* of fun playing other's scenarios (only months because ptw will be out by year end). Talk to us, guys, please!
Old July 18, 2002, 09:56   #184
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

Local Time: 00:29
Quote:
Originally posted by rflagg
Back to the main topic! WE NEED TO KNOW ABOUT DIPLOMACY OPTIONS! We love the patch too, look forward to having *months* of fun playing other's scenarios (only months because ptw will be out by year end). Talk to us, guys, please!
Though my list grows by the hour, I'll settle for this.

C'mon Mike, even if they're not included I can get out the shotgun and get Gramps to start working on the CMT.
Old July 18, 2002, 10:06   #185
DrFell
Civilization II Multiplayer
King

No no no... you guys have it all wrong, the main topic is this accelerated production thing, we need to know more Firaxis
Old July 18, 2002, 10:09   #186
sabrewolf
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization IV CreatorsC3CDG Desolation RowCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 06:29
firaxian HQ talk
Quote:

i can picture firaxis HQ:
A: "look at those nervous guys"
B: "they sound like a bunch of teen boys, horny to see britney's *** pop out "
A: "let's tell them about diplomacy, so they calm down"
B: "no, let 'em fidget around a bit more"
A: "come on, they've waited long enough"
B: "i know, but that makes it even more fun to read their comments"
A: "ah... all right..."
B: "hey, why don't we delay the patch a few more day *biggrin*"
A: "you're a real sadist "
B: "thank you "
[...]

... and that's why we won't find our until tomorrow
Old July 18, 2002, 10:12   #187
LaRusso
King

Local Time: 06:29
what time exactly do they post the patch?
You are so anti-america that having a conversation with you would be poinless. You may or maynot feel you are an enemy of the United States, I don't care either way. However if I still worked for the Goverment I would turn over your e-mail address to my bosses and what ever happen, happens.
Old July 18, 2002, 10:13   #188
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta

Or the other version:

*B looks at A nervously
B: "So what are we going to do?"
A: "We can't tell them, they'll pull a JT/Coracle on us"
B: "So what do we do?"
A: "Lump the thing into PtW "

Old July 18, 2002, 11:09   #189
Willem
Emperor

Local Time: 21:29
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Quote:
It's pretty straight forward, and an effective way to make sure the AI doesn't waste time with calculating where to build it's roads.
It's not effective since if you can't build a road, you can't access the Luxury/Strategic resources. Obviously this was an attempt to please those people, like me, who don't like having Railroads everywhere, since you can't build a railroad without a road. But it's not going to work. It would have been much better separating the railroads from roads, and allowing us to select the terrain types for that instead, independantly of roads.
Old July 18, 2002, 11:11   #190
muxec
Prince

Local Time: 07:29
Where can i download it?
Old July 18, 2002, 11:16   #191
cbraund
Prince

You can't yet.

It'll be on the front page when it's released though.

Chris
Old July 18, 2002, 11:46   #192
rflagg
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by Willem

It's not effective since if you can't build a road, you can't access the Luxury/Strategic resources. Obviously this was an attempt to please those people, like me, who don't like having Railroads everywhere, since you can't build a railroad without a road. But it's not going to work. It would have been much better separating the railroads from roads, and allowing us to select the terrain types for that instead, independantly of roads.
Yes, but I believe that's probably a hardcoded issue. As far as this is concerned, with not reaching strategic resources, Dan already mentioned that already every tile has a commerce bonus, allowing for roads on any tile. But, in a scenario, you could, for example, Start off so that no one can build on Mountainous terrain, and set it up so that once you get say, a dynamite technology, that you'll then be able to build roads there (by having the tech add +1 commerce to all mountain terrain). Personally, I don't see a problem with this.

Besides, it has nothing to do with diplomacy editing! Which we are dying to know...please guys, don't let us waste away! We love you and your programming skills more than you'll ever know!

-Rflagg.
Old July 18, 2002, 11:49   #193
Jon Shafer

Quote:
Besides, it has nothing to do with diplomacy editing! Which we are dying to know...please guys, don't let us waste away! We love you and your programming skills more than you'll ever know!

-Rflagg.
I'm afraid they aren't going to answer now. I've been pleading for two days now, with Dan, Mike and Soren online and not one of them has said a peep. I suppose we'll just have to be patient.
Old July 18, 2002, 11:55   #194
Willem
Emperor

Quote:

Yes, but I believe that's probably a hardcoded issue. As far as this is concerned, with not reaching strategic resources, Dan already mentioned that already every tile has a commerce bonus, allowing for roads on any tile. But, in a scenario, you could, for example, Start off so that no one can build on Mountainous terrain, and set it up so that once you get say, a dynamite technology, that you'll then be able to build roads there (by having the tech add +1 commerce to all mountain terrain). Personally, I don't see a problem with this.
Well yes, that would be a good thing, but I doubt it's going to work like that. It's going to be a blanket thing, just like Mines are now, so that you can only require a tech for all roads, not just those built on Mountains. I applaud their attempt to let us try and control railroads, but this approach is pretty much useless IMO.

PS They removed the hard coding for a number of things now, i.e. Luxury icons will be joining the list soon. So it's not like it's impossible to do the same with railroads.
Old July 18, 2002, 11:59   #195
zulu9812
King

What time on Friday is the patch being released?
I think holding hands can be more erotic than 'slamming it in the ass' - Pekka, thinking that he's messed up
Old July 18, 2002, 12:05   #196
Kri77777
Settler

Local Time: 23:29
Quote:
Originally posted by sabrewolf

i can picture firaxis HQ:
A: "look at those nervous guys"
B: "they sound like a bunch of teen boys, horny to see britney's *** pop out "
A: "let's tell them about diplomacy, so they calm down"
B: "no, let 'em fidget around a bit more"
A: "come on, they've waited long enough"
B: "i know, but that makes it even more fun to read their comments"
A: "ah... all right..."
B: "hey, why don't we delay the patch a few more day *biggrin*"
A: "you're a real sadist "
B: "thank you "
[...]

... and that's why we won't find our until tomorrow

The sad thing is, I think he's right....

I WAN THE PATCH!!! If I don't get the patch soon, I'll do something to myself! I don't know what yet, but I'll do something to myself!!! (Probably just take a walk or something [hey, that sun would be brutal after the amount of time I have spent indoors waiting for this).

Seriously, I can't wait to see it.

Last edited by Kri77777; July 18, 2002 at 12:15.
Old July 18, 2002, 12:17   #197
Kri77777
Settler

Ummmm.... Yeah..... This post is here by accident and it won't let me remove it (can we patch the boards, too?).
Old July 18, 2002, 12:54   #198
Jerry Sindle
Civilization III Democracy Game
Settler

Re: BUG NOT FIXED
Quote:
Originally posted by Flinx

Some very useful additions, changes and fixes but one bug that I wish would get fixed is this one [does this happen to anyone else? ]:

When any ship is selected, click the move button to get the automatic movement path line attached to the cursor; move the cursor to the very top or very bottom of the screen to have the map scroll quickly; if you allow the map to reach the polar ice caps and the cursor is still at the top/bottom of the screen (you are trying to scroll past the end of the map I suppose) the game freezes; Ctrl-Alt-Del is the only way to recover and then start the game again and load the last autosave.
I've been playing for two hours a night, every night, since November of 2001 and I've never seen that happen. Maybe I'm lucky...

Very respectfully,

Jerry Sindle

Jerry
Old July 18, 2002, 15:05   #199
Wise Ass
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Team BananaC4BtSDG Team Banana
Prince

About the bug mentioned above... I have seen it.

Here is another suggestion/request:

Can you guys (Firaxis) give us one of those scenarios you used for testing???? Please????
Old July 18, 2002, 15:10   #200
Kri77777
Settler

I have never even herd of it till now, let alone seen it. Guess I will have to try eventually....
Old July 18, 2002, 15:22   #201
Admiral PJ
PtWDG Lux Invicta
Prince

Its useful that we'll be able to name units that produce leaders, now we'll know that unit can't produce any more.. its a neat solution.

I hope they willl have that special units only make a GA if they are elite, maybe these could get a special name also.

Great news about the fixed editor features.
Old July 18, 2002, 15:51   #202
Admiral PJ
PtWDG Lux Invicta
Prince

One important thing for scenarios is to be able to set the time it takes to build things on different terrains.

An example is road building across deserts, I want to make it even harder to make them some sort of barrier.

I'm not certain if it accureately calcultes build times.. if it just took into account movement rates , so slower terrain took longer that might be a solution.

Just a minor but still important point.
Old July 18, 2002, 16:41   #203
Jaffa Tamarin
Settler

Local Time: 20:29
Quote:
Originally posted by Trip
- Is there an option to set a flat map?
Place a column of mountain tiles one square in down each side of the map. With no way to get a ship into the sea between the mountains, there's no way to cross round the sides of the map
Old July 18, 2002, 16:45   #204
Willem
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Admiral PJ

I hope they willl have that special units only make a GA if they are elite, maybe these could get a special name also.
Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you're saying here, but Elites have always been the only units capable of producing a Leader.

As for naming the unit, they're also going to include the * symbol to let you know if a unit has created a leader, if I've read things properly, so actually naming it would only be a way of adding a personal touch to the game.
Old July 18, 2002, 16:47   #205
Willem
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Admiral PJ
One important thing for scenarios is to be able to set the time it takes to build things on different terrains.
This has always been an option, just look at Worker Jobs in the editor rules.
Old July 18, 2002, 16:52   #206
Jon Shafer

Quote:
Originally posted by Jaffa Tamarin
Place a column of mountain tiles one square in down each side of the map. With no way to get a ship into the sea between the mountains, there's no way to cross round the sides of the map
I know, but you can still send aircraft over the 'edge' of the map. Also, I want an option, not a mankshift solution.

Besides, I just make flat maps with Gramps' CMT, but it would be easier inside the editor.
Old July 18, 2002, 16:56   #207
cbraund
Prince

IT'S UP!!!

http://www.firaxis.com/downloads_detail.cfm?file_id=58

Chris
Old July 18, 2002, 17:00   #208
ChaotikVisions
Civilization IV Creators
Prince

WOOOOOOO! Thanks cbraund, I wouldn't have checked till later this night, good thing I was sitting around refreshing this post.
1 minute left, DSL is nice, time to go play it!
Old July 18, 2002, 17:02   #209
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Willem
Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you're saying here, but Elites have always been the only units capable of producing a Leader.
(Willem, he said "GA" for Golden Age, not "GL" for Great Leader)
Old July 18, 2002, 17:07   #210
cbraund
Prince

NO!! I can't find any diplomacy options in the editor!

Oh well, it's still cool!

Chris