Old July 17, 2002, 13:16   #1
ALPHA WOLF 64
Prince

Local Time: 22:30
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Those silly Russians
I was at peace with everyone when a small fleet of privateers started bombarding my coastal improvements. When one finally succeeded in destroying my farm, I got a message that my improvements were destroyed by Russian artillery but no war was declared. Altho for single player this isnt a big deal, for multi-player, it makes the severely weakens a hidden nationality unit's ability since you'll know who actually attacked you. I hope that gets fixed soon. And those poor russians paid a heavy price as my cavalry swept across their country razing all their cities

I also made subs hidden and invisible. But as I get close to the Persian shore, they started lobbing cruise missiles at me even tho there were no ships in the area to detect me. Seems like the hidden trait overrules the invisible trait.
Old July 17, 2002, 13:59   #2
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Local Time: 23:30
rumor has it (ive never seen it) that if you play with the "show team color disc" option on, you can see the nationality of any privateer.

i dont play with it on so i wouldnt know...

i ahrdly see any privateers anyway
Old July 17, 2002, 17:28   #3
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Local Time: 04:30
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Re: Those silly Russians
Quote:
Originally posted by ALPHA WOLF 64
Those silly Russians
Yeah, were just silly people.
Old July 17, 2002, 17:39   #4
ALPHA WOLF 64
Prince

Re: Re: Those silly Russians
Quote:
Originally posted by Tassadar5000

Yeah, were just silly people.
next time I might spare their nation if offered some good vodka.
Old July 17, 2002, 17:52   #5
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Re: Re: Re: Those silly Russians
Quote:

next time I might spare their nation if offered some good vodka.
Or next time we may crush you in revenge......

Dont worry, theres plenty of Vodka to go around!
Old July 17, 2002, 18:18   #6
HazieDaVampire
King

lol, the Russians get a ration of Vodka during war, the British get a ration of Wiskey! The Americans get a cold one (so weak!). The Germans get a Stein of bear (weak, but mroe of it!)
Old July 17, 2002, 20:12   #7
Iskandar Reza
Civilization III PBEM
Prince

Local Time: 12:30
Vodka is good. It mixes well with anything.

Quote:
I also made subs hidden and invisible. But as I get close to the Persian shore, they started lobbing cruise missiles at me even tho there were no ships in the area to detect me. Seems like the hidden trait overrules the invisible trait.
Don't you know the AI cheats?
"Who's your Daddy? You know who your Daddy is, huh?? It's me! Yeah.. I'm your Daddy! Uh-huh! How come I'm your Daddy! 'Coz I did this to your Mama? Yeah, your Mama! Yeah this your Mama! Your Mama! You suck man, but your Mama's sweet! You suck, but your Mama, ohhh... Uh-huh, your Mama! Far out man, you do suck, but not as good as your Mama! So what's it gonna be? Spit or swallow, sissy boy?" - Superfly, joecartoon
Old July 18, 2002, 11:49   #8
planetfall
Prince

Local Time: 21:30
Quote:
I was at peace with everyone when a small fleet of privateers started bombarding my coastal improvements. When one finally succeeded in destroying my farm, I got a message that my improvements were destroyed by Russian artillery but no war was declared. Altho for single player this isnt a big deal, for multi-player, it makes the severely weakens a hidden nationality unit's ability since you'll know who actually attacked you. I hope that gets fixed soon. And those poor russians paid a heavy price as my cavalry swept across their country razing all their cities

What Farm? Are you playing Civ3????

It seems like "hidden" and "invisible" apply to sea and air units and not to land units.

Don't know about message as AI has not used privateers vs me. Key here is to keep your military at least average.

Caution-- if you use "hidden", the AI flags the unit as ripe plum and will attack every time it has an opportunity.
Old July 18, 2002, 13:18   #9
ALPHA WOLF 64
Prince

i call irragated lands farms out of habit....LOL

I havent tried to use hidden or invisible on land units...yet. I figured to simulate subs being under water i'd make them hidden since you dont know exactly who they are (yes i know modern ships can tell the difference). but my por sub barely survived the cruise missle onslaught.
Old July 18, 2002, 15:41   #10
N. Machiavelli
Prince

Local Time: 05:30
You can apply the 'Hidden Nationality' flag to land units, or you could in the first 2 patches anyway, I havn't tested with the latest. I created a 'Bandit' unit (1/2/2) that had hidden nationality and was really only useful for pillaging, ambushing workers, and settler containment.
Old July 18, 2002, 19:02   #11
NeoStar
Warlord

Local Time: 14:30
Quote:
I was at peace with everyone when a small fleet of privateers started bombarding my coastal improvements.
I NEVER use those. Are you sure they can bombard or is that just an edit? I just looked at that 2 attack, 1 defense once and went to frigates (which can definately bombard)
"Show me a man or a woman alone and I'll show you a saint. Give me two and they'll fall in love. Give me three and they'll invent the charming thing we call 'society'. Give me four and they'll build a pyramid. Give me five and they'll make one an outcast. Give me six and they'll reinvent prejudice. Give me seven and in seven years they'll reinvent warfare. Man may have been made in the image of God, but human society was made in the image of His opposite number, and is always trying to get back home." - Glen Bateman, The Stand (Stephen King)
Old July 18, 2002, 20:41   #12
Edrix

Quote:
And those poor russians paid a heavy price as my cavalry swept across their country razing all their cities
The way you use a smiley face right after that statement so nonchalantly is really creepy, but also kind of funny.

It's kind of like saying, "France wouldn't agree to my trade, so I launched 15 ICBM's at their cities. I killed millions of people. "

Old July 19, 2002, 01:45   #13
ALPHA WOLF 64
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Edrix

The way you use a smiley face right after that statement so nonchalantly is really creepy, but also kind of funny.

It's kind of like saying, "France wouldn't agree to my trade, so I launched 15 ICBM's at their cities. I killed millions of people. "
yep, if you are going to attack me, be prepared for some butt kickin I try not to kill civilians, they make good slave workers
Old July 19, 2002, 01:48   #14
ALPHA WOLF 64
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by NeoStar

I NEVER use those. Are you sure they can bombard or is that just an edit? I just looked at that 2 attack, 1 defense once and went to frigates (which can definately bombard)
i bumped them up alittle so they wouldnt keep getting sunk by galleys, also gave them a small bombard ability. I dont build them much either but the AI seems to like them some games.