Old July 17, 2002, 14:22   #1
Destroyer
Prince

Local Time: 04:30
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Legendary Units
Being something of a warmonger, and loveing each and every one of my tiny little representations of trundling killing machines, I thought of an idea about having a super-elite unit. This would never work in civ3 (I dont think) beacuse units dont hold any data other than their hit points and status (certainly no kill info.

After 50 kills, an elite unit should be promoted to legendary. With six hit points. Also it self repairs at the start of each turn, and has a bonus defence of 50%.

This would make an excellent skirmish/fast attack unit, useful for knocking out stray units without being too powerful. In a huge battle the bonuses wouldnt really be felt, or in a position defending a city, where barrack automatically repair units every turn.
Old July 17, 2002, 14:30   #2
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Re: Legendary Units
Nice idea.

Quote:
Originally posted by Destroyer
This would never work in civ3 (I dont think) beacuse units dont hold any data other than their hit points and status (certainly no kill info.
That isn't strictly true ...

If you read the patch readme that came out today you will notice that Elite units that produce a Great Leader for you can be given names.
That goes a tiny way towards implementing your idea (only a tiny way though ) because it means that certain Elite units can be designated as special after they produce a GL ... however, they won't gain any combat advantages.

No exact kill info, though (I don't think so anway )
Old July 17, 2002, 14:36   #3
SpencerH
Civilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerBtS Tri-League
Emperor

Local Time: 23:30
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Are you saying you have elite units with 50 kills? I'll bet I dont generate more than 10 elite units/game and they never get more than 1-2 kills each.
If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.
Old July 17, 2002, 15:10   #4
Zizka
Chieftain

Local Time: 23:30
Yes I find that despite elite status they are just as prone to SUDs (sudden unit death syndrome) when attacking lesser units.

What i would like to see is elite units get an upgrade to the best unit of that type after x kills as elites (the guards/ best army unist tended to be the best equipped). hence elite warriors would become Riflemen,legions.. etc once that tech was found and makes them relevant an elite warrior is pretty useless beyond the bronze age..but the units reputation legacy of skill should live on.

Z
Old July 17, 2002, 15:18   #5
Destroyer
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by SpencerH
Are you saying you have elite units with 50 kills? I'll bet I dont generate more than 10 elite units/game and they never get more than 1-2 kills each.
No, I mean 50 kills and hold elite status (it wouldnt make sense to jump straight from say veteran to legendary - although a unit would be pretty unlucky not to be elite at that stage).

On a smaller map this would make them quite rare. But on a 260x260 map that i *try* to play on, it becomes easier when you control hundreds of tanks.

It would be a better idea to make some things scaleable according to map size, ie:

corruption
sea units movement
% chance of leader/promotion
Old July 18, 2002, 16:43   #6
Destroyer
Prince

Are the nationality flags on this forum a new thing?
Old July 19, 2002, 00:55   #7
Kramerman
Prince

Local Time: 22:30
Quote:
Originally posted by Destroyer
Are the nationality flags on this forum a new thing?
Yeah, i think so. I don't ever remember seeing them and i just put mine up the other day. Hey! when the Hell did I become a prince? btw, that would be a nice idea destroyer, if it could be done.

Kman