Old July 17, 2002, 15:07   #1
wisdave
Settler

Local Time: 22:30
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Questions from a newbie - long
Hi, folks. I've stopped here only a few times, all in the past several days. Some folks in the chatroom answered my initial question and helped get my current game back on track.

I've been playing the game on an almost daily basis since Christmas. (Thanks to my son for the great gift.) I've successfully completed a number of games in that time, but as soon as one is done, I've thought up a new scenario I just have to try.

My current game was bogged down due to corruption, when I read threads yesterday about the editor. I didn't even know it came with one. Anyway, I edited the preferred number of cities on a large map from 24 to 100, and, WHAM! I'm off and running again.

Now the questions:

1. I never liked to take advantage of cheat codes in other games unless it was just a quick run through to see the reward graphic at the end of a game. I convinced myself that the change I made last night wasn't really cheating as the rule applies to the AI players also. Do you agree?

2. What other types of changes have you made that made your games more enjoyable? I was afraid to change units, wonders, terrain, etc until I better understood what I was changing. The corruption model was pretty easy to see right away.

3. OK, feel free to start piling on me here. I have never applied any patches to my original game. I didn't even know they existed until I stumbled onto this board. I don't follow the gaming industry closely, and don't read the magazines. As it is, I hardly have time for my Civ addiction. I am running version 1.07, I believe. (Writing from work). Should I apply the patches? A few major reasons why? Can you point me to a thread that explains the previous patches (I saw today's)? Do I need to apply them in a sequential fashion? I saw a reference in a post somewhere about the elimination of "God mode". Can someone explain what that is?

If you're still reading by this point, thanks in advance for any help you can provide. If I can ever add to a discussion in the future, I certainly will, now that I know this place exists. It was kinda' cool reading here. Quite a few of the tips and hints I had discovered myself - the hard way. However, I also picked up a lot of new ideas, and now have to plan to squander many more hours on new scenarios I have to try.
Old July 17, 2002, 20:56   #2
Level
Warlord

Local Time: 21:30
Welcome to apoyton.

Fill free to add to any discussion you want.

Each patch has all the previous in it, get the patch this Friday it has the complete editor.

The "God mode"was left over from a very early test build, If you save with multi any where in the name it shows the entire map and lets you modify the production in AI cities it was fixed with v1.21f

got to go.

Here is the readme for the other patches
Attached Files:
File Type: txt readme.txt (46.6 KB, 0 views)
My units: MechWalker,Rocket soldier,Hover Tank,Crawler,Hover Copter
Old July 17, 2002, 21:55   #3
Switch
Prince

Local Time: 23:30
Quote:
1. I never liked to take advantage of cheat codes in other games unless it was just a quick run through to see the reward graphic at the end of a game. I convinced myself that the change I made last night wasn't really cheating as the rule applies to the AI players also. Do you agree?
Hmm, tough question. It might be consider cheating, since you did it in mid game, however it also affected all of the AI civs as well. I think, if you don't consider it cheating, it doesn't give you an unfair advantage over the AI (besides natural human strategy and wit), and it's done in single player (moot point until Play the World comes out - that's an upcoming expansion by the way), than by all means, go ahead.

And don't worry about messing around in the editor. Just back up changes you like, as well as backing up the orignal civ3mod.bic, don't worry about bad changes. Just revert to the backed up bic when you make a mistake.