Old July 18, 2002, 11:10   #31
wervdon
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Prince

Local Time: 22:32
Local Date: October 31, 2010
1) We should wait at least a week to upgrade the demo game in case weird bugs pop up or something.
2) If the foreign versions don't come out too, then we shouldn't upgrade, we have several people participating from europe.
3) Im not even sure it'd effect our game beyond obvious things like group fortify/wake as the bic rules are stored in the save anyways. Not that they said they changed any rules, but they ussually do tweak tech costs or such and dont mention it
Old July 18, 2002, 11:25   #32
mtgillespie
Civilization III Democracy Game
Warlord

Local Time: 04:32
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Is anyone playing the game with a foreign language version ? I don't think this is possible, as it's an english language version save. If it's not possible, then everyone who is playing can patch. Where you're playing doesn't matter, there isn't one version for the US, one for europe, one for Australasia etc. There are only different language versions, so if you're playing in english you can patch when everyone else can.

If you can play this save in (for example) the french language version, that's fine, we shouldn't patch.
Old July 18, 2002, 11:56   #33
Papa Chubby
Warlord

I thought all patches were incompatible with previous saves, and as somebody stated the new patch mostly only addresses the issue of lacking in the editor. Does very little else, except for the naming of units, which would be cool. I can see Papaīs bruisers right now.

We could of course ask Firaxis to delay the patch until the democracy game has finished, thereby promoting equality between different language versions of Civ3.
Old July 18, 2002, 13:15   #34
Kuciwalker
Deity

Local Time: 00:32
IMNSHO, we shouldn't upgrade, even though I can.
Old July 18, 2002, 13:54   #35
Kramerman
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Trip
I still say that unless everyone can play, it's grossly unfair to exclude someone from playing the game for any reason.
Trip! You need that patch as soon as possible so you can finish your Cicil War scenario!
Old July 18, 2002, 15:20   #36
Will 5001
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by mtgillespie
Would our savegame work with a foreign language version of the game anyway?
I would like to know this too.

There is no difference between the American English language game and the British (and I suppose NZ and Australian) English language game (except the packaging), but I would like to know if the save version works with a non-english language version anyway? Could one of our citizens who use civ in a different language tell us? That would help us greatly in deciding if we should play with the patch
Old July 18, 2002, 17:08   #37
Fatwreck
Civilization III PBEM
Prince

Local Time: 06:32
Quote:
Originally posted by Kramerman

Trip! You need that patch as soon as possible so you can finish your Cicil War scenario!
I couldīnt agree more

BTW canīt we do a poll about wich language version everyone has?

We donīt even know for sure that there is someone that is not using the english version (although there is a huge risk)... But we donīt know

I think itīs only Japan and france (and maybe germany) who has their own language in the game...
Old July 18, 2002, 18:52   #38
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Foreign versions that I'm aware of : Japan, Germany, France, Spain. I don't know if there are other foreign versions, but we shouldn't forget those who play on a mac either.
That's why I think we could make a poll, where an outstanding majority would be needed to patch the game.

Or we should try to trade saves between someone who patched and someone who didn't. If both versions are comaptible, ten it is not an issue anymore
Old July 19, 2002, 04:51   #39
mtgillespie
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Spiffor
Foreign versions that I'm aware of : Japan, Germany, France, Spain. I don't know if there are other foreign versions, but we shouldn't forget those who play on a mac either.
That's why I think we could make a poll, where an outstanding majority would be needed to patch the game.

Or we should try to trade saves between someone who patched and someone who didn't. If both versions are comaptible, ten it is not an issue anymore
Does our save work with a foreign language version of Civ? I would say almost certainly no.

Does our save work with a Mac version of Civ? I'm even more convinced it won't.

If i'm wrong on either of those points, please tell me. If not, we're worry about people not being able to play along who already can't play along!

Because of this, the poll, should not ask "which version do you play", it should only ask "if you play along , which version do you play".
Old July 19, 2002, 12:26   #40
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Local Time: 23:32
I installed it, and i've loaded the game with it. not sure if other people will be able to load it after i play it.

Perhaps the President should keep 1.21 until everyone has upgraded/we take an official poll?
Old July 19, 2002, 18:07   #41
Will 5001
Warlord

I think we should upgrade since no-one here says that it would prevent them from running the demo game, unless..... Speak now or forever hold your peace !!
Old July 19, 2002, 21:34   #42
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 16:32
It would prevent me! Until I find my Civ3 CD or a crack comes out, that is.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old July 19, 2002, 21:45   #43
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Soren mentioned in the chat that there have been some tweaks re tech development and AI trading habits for tech.

He warned that 1.21 games continued with 1.29 might have some strange results.
Old July 20, 2002, 03:46   #44
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 16:32
My New Zealand/Australian version of Civ3 works with the 1.29f patch, and I would be surprised if this version was any different to the "Asia-Pacific" version available in all Oz/NZ/SE Asia except Japan. Thus, ignoring possible different version savegame effects, this group too can use the patch.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old July 20, 2002, 09:37   #45
Will 5001
Warlord

I think that there should be a poll or a final decsion ( ) made as some misters and citizens may start running through the game on 1.29 where others may be running 1.21, they may get different results, so to aviod confusion ( and ) we must all be running the same version of the game, that wil create a happy atmosphere ( )!
Old July 20, 2002, 10:16   #46
civman2000
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesDiplomacyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Poll is up: it's part of the Bill of Rights amendment. If article 7 wins, it is clear that we do not have the president patch. If it loses, i think it's safe to say that constitutionally, ninot can patch. If he still doesnt want to because even though not 67% want to restrict patching he does, he's also free to do that.

"This should be the question they ask you before you get to vote. If you answer 'no', then they brand you with a giant red 'I' on your forehead and you are forever barred from taking part in the electoral process again."--KrazyHorse
"I'm so very glad KH is Canadian."--Donegeal
Old July 21, 2002, 02:52   #47
kring
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerNationStatesCTP2 Source Code ProjectApolyton UniversityCivilization IV Creators
King

I support the 75%, and as was pointed out earlier, if any use Macs, then they deserve to be counted as well. Esp. since I saw this at CFC:

MacSoft's Nate Birkholz visited the forum yesterday and assured Mac civers that MacSoft will investigate all the possibilities before deciding whether to port the 1.29f patch to the Mac or not.
No decisions have been made yet as to what will happen with 1.29f on the Mac. Until we have had a chance to see the patch and discuss all the ramifications with Brad and Westlake as well as with Firaxis, we won't know what happens next. We appreciate the interest everyone is taking in this, and we will definitely take that into consideration as we go forward. Please give us a little time to investigate all the possiblities.

There may or may not be a Mac 1.29f.
Old July 23, 2002, 05:42   #48
BigFurryMonster
PtWDG2 SunshineC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Team BabylonInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 05:32
Don't generalize. I live in Europe and have the standard version of the game.

Patch it!
Old July 23, 2002, 06:10   #49
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Quote:
Originally posted by kring
I support the 75%, and as was pointed out earlier, if any use Macs, then they deserve to be counted as well. Esp. since I saw this at CFC:

MacSoft's Nate Birkholz visited the forum yesterday and assured Mac civers that MacSoft will investigate all the possibilities before deciding whether to port the 1.29f patch to the Mac or not.
No decisions have been made yet as to what will happen with 1.29f on the Mac. Until we have had a chance to see the patch and discuss all the ramifications with Brad and Westlake as well as with Firaxis, we won't know what happens next. We appreciate the interest everyone is taking in this, and we will definitely take that into consideration as we go forward. Please give us a little time to investigate all the possiblities.

There may or may not be a Mac 1.29f.
Yes....however, does this mean we must play all future democracy games on Civ3 (not PTW) 1.21F?
Old July 23, 2002, 06:24   #50
mtgillespie
Warlord

I'm sorry i have to keep saying this (but it's not going to stop me ).

If any of this is wrong, please tell me, but i don't think it is.

Currently:

We are playing PC english version 1.21f.

If you are playing Mac version 1.21f, our save is not compatible!

If you are playing PC french version 1.21f, our save is not compatible!

If you are playing PC german version 1.21f, our save is not compatible!

If you are playing PC english version 1.21f, it doesn't matter whether you are in the US, Europe, Asia, Australasia or Antartica, it is the same version and you can patch.

Anyone who is playing along with our save at the moment, is playing PC English version 1.21f (or higher), and therefore can patch or has patched. Anyone who's patch is not yet available, cannot play our save anyway.

The only issue i see here, is the possible unusual effects mentioned in playing a save in 1.29 that was started in 1.21.
Old July 23, 2002, 06:39   #51
Shiber
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 Cake or Death?InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Kramerman
People who have the game, in say France, have a French version of the game. For some reason the programming is diffrent, I guess, becuase typically differnt versions are not compatible with each other. In other words, the U.S. patch probably would cause a French or German game to crash if they tried to run it with their French or German version.
Kman
I can confirm that. Patching say, a French copy of the game with the US patch would result in corruption of dat files and possibly the binary as well. This is because these files are slightly different than the US versions of them but the patch can't tell, as far as it knows it's "replace letter A in location 1,386 with letter C, replace..." etc'.
- Phantom of the Opera
Old July 23, 2002, 06:47   #52
mtgillespie
Warlord

But it doesn't matter because they can't run our save now either!
Old July 23, 2002, 12:39   #53
Proserpine
Warlord

How about a poll on this?
Old July 23, 2002, 13:03   #54
Spiffor

Proserpine :
We don't know about the majority we need yet. Don't forget every person who says "no" is ****ed. We can't solve this with a mere 51% majority.
Old July 25, 2002, 17:37   #55
BigFurryMonster
PtWDG2 SunshineC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Team BabylonInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 05:32
Please patch before the American War ..! We need to all have the same results!
Old July 25, 2002, 18:11   #56
Spiffor

BFM : I play the Demogame with 1.21 version, and I have a 1.29 version somewhere ele on my harddrive. I put a no-cd crack on the 1.21, and it works flawlessly. I can play the version I want.