Old July 18, 2002, 08:34   #1
Cookie Monster
King

Local Time: 23:33
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Consolidate or continue war?
Hi all,

I'm back again seeking advice on a new game I started as the Japanese.

Game parameters:

Large Archipelago, Standard Map, Regent, all civs random

Brief history:

Japan started out on a medium sized island and owns all of it now, the year is about 1600AD.

Japan was at peace for most of the game up until the discovery of the Samurai. Ranking 5th in total land area and 5th on the score ranking Japan quickly realized they needed to expand. Since she had no saltpeter the task would not be easy. Upon checking the F3 screen my military advisor tells me that compared to the Babs we have a strong army! Since the Babs' continent is only 6 tiles away I decide to go to war despite not having saltpeter. 8 samurai, 2 pikemen, and 1 longbowman land on Bab soil. The Samurai quickly cut the Babs horse and saltpeter supply. Reinforcements continue to pour in. Now even though the Babs have cavalry and riflemen vs. my strongest unit the samurai I devour 5 of their cities. Peace is declared and I bag a bunch of techs. I also secure saltpeter, even though it is in neutral territory it is only a matter of time before my cultural border engulfs it. I am now 3rd in total land area and 4th on the score ranking.

My question is this; should I consolidate my gains, or start another war with the Babs and beat more tech out of them? The 2 strongest civs are no where near my gains. They are however on another continent only 8 tiles away from my main continent. What do I do?
Old July 18, 2002, 08:58   #2
miccofl
Civilization III PBEM
Prince

Both! Consolidate for a few turns, build up some more forces, but strike while the iron is still hot.
Old July 18, 2002, 10:49   #3
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Local Time: 00:33
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Wait until the 20 turn peace treaty you signed with Babylon runs out. Then cancel the treaty and finish them off. You now have saltpetre, and hence can upgrade some Samurai to Cavalry. You probably just need to increase you numbers... and 20 turns is just the right amount of time to do that.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old July 18, 2002, 14:09   #4
Cookie Monster
King

Well the Babs were crushed by the Persians.

Now I've just discovered replaceable parts but there is no rubber to be found in my territory. It seems that, like in real life, the Japanese will have to import most of their raw materials.

BTW I am now a 2nd place for land size and still at 4th place on the scoreboard. For now, Japan will not be going to war.
Old July 18, 2002, 22:43   #5
King of Rasslin
Prince

Local Time: 04:33
Local Date: November 1, 2010
You need war! You won't make it to the top unless you get aggressive.