Old November 21, 2000, 20:00   #1
Farmer
Settler

Local Time: 22:47
Local Date: October 30, 2010
ToT or Civ2MP?
I've just bought Civ2ToT and I want to go multiplayer asap. Can you play ToT vs Civ2MP or should I just throw ToT in the garbage and get Civ2MP? These may sound like dumb questions, but I'm new to the Civ2 multiplayer scene, however I'm not new to civ - I was a hardcore CivNet player and I've played Civ2 24-7 since it's release.

Thanks for your help.
Old November 21, 2000, 21:05   #2
Smash
Emperor

Local Time: 14:47
quote:

Can you play ToT vs Civ2MP

Nope

quote:

should I just throw ToT in the garbage and get Civ2MP?

Not quite.Its not the worst game in the world.Yes.Probably the largest online gamer community of all the civ games.
Old November 21, 2000, 21:25   #3
Dissident Aggressor

it is safe to say I spent less than 20 hours with TOT. civ2 uhh well I think I can measure it in years.

And I'll be honest. I don't like either multiplayer. It is really annoying. you have to keep a close watch on your sh!t because you can't see enemy movements even if it is in your fog of war viewing area. that was my impression anyways.
[This message has been edited by Dissident Aggressor (edited November 21, 2000).]

Old November 22, 2000, 05:24   #4
Deathwalker
Prince

I never liked TOT so it would be better too use MGE/UCC

------------------
I have walked since the dawn of time and were ever I walk, death is sure to follow
Old November 22, 2000, 14:25   #5
Farmer
Settler

Thanks for the replies. What's the Civ2MP multiplayer community like? Last time I played CivNet online the community was pretty much dead, we had a bit of a reunion last year, but I've been playing the AoE series since 1997 more than anything else. I'm a committed Age of Kings player, and the community for that game is bustling - last time I looked there were 4000+ players on the zone. When I checked on Civ2MP there were 13...

I've always loved the Civ series more than AoE, but I want to play online and I'd not seen any evidence of life for this game in many years. I was just about to give up on Civ2MP when I found this forum, which seems as active as any gaming forum I've seen anywhere. Maybe you can persuade me to come back .

I've signed up for the ladder, and I'll get Civ2MP by the weekend so maybe someone wants to challenge me to a game? I'm on GMT and can play all weekend.
Old November 22, 2000, 14:56   #6
Mercantile
Settler

Farmer, try to get icq if you can, we use it alot to find opponents here @ Apolyton. If not post when you would like to play in the MP forum. The community is great and everyone is really helpfull. Its made my gaming experience so much more enjoyable plus i am learning all kinds of new things. This game was built for MP so if you have the patience to play, then there are tons of games to be found.

There are Europeans, Aussies, Eastcoasters and westcoasters. Alot of people put their timezones in so that we can coordinate games better. just let everyone know what your preferences are and i am sure you can find a game Good luck and may the civ be with you
Old November 24, 2000, 07:39   #7
Theoderik
Settler

Hmm.. MGE definitely has the larger community, but I think that will change. ToT is available in many shops, and I bet there will be more and more ToT players. I heard the latest version of GameSpy supports ToT, which is great, since I already use GameSpy for other games. I haven't played ToT multiplayer yet, but have played MGE quite a lot in a LAN.

As for not seeing enemy moves, you COULD see enemy moves when playing LAN games in MGE. But I know that you can NOT see enemy moves when playing Hotseat in ToT. LAN games are really fun, and is the best way to play Civ, any Civ. I don't know the reason for this "bug" in Hotseat...

Long live the Ostrogoths!
Old November 24, 2000, 08:20   #8
East Street Trader
Prince

Can anyone tell me where in the UK I can get a copy of UCC from?
Old November 24, 2000, 15:25   #9
Farmer
Settler

I just went around every games shop in the city trying to find a copy of Civ2MP with no luck at all :/. I then tried the major online game retailers and again they had no mention of the game. I finally found a copy at softwarefirst.com, so you might try your luck there. I guess I won't be playing this weekend after all...

Old November 28, 2000, 17:01   #10
Farmer
Settler

Well I ordered a copy of the basic Civ2MP and they sent me the full UCC for no extra cost .