Old July 21, 2002, 19:27   #61
Rust
Chieftain

Local Time: 21:34
Local Date: October 31, 2010
The (ctrl shift m) is now light whether it's on your territory or not.
Old July 21, 2002, 19:46   #62
Alex
Emperor

Local Time: 01:34
Local Date: November 1, 2010
About the download...

Dan is surprisingly lazy these days. The patch cannot be downloaded from the official civ3 website...

Or is there a problem? I surely hope not...
Old July 21, 2002, 21:03   #63
RedBird
Warlord

Local Time: 23:34
Quote:
Originally posted by cbraund
Also, you can already rename leaders in the editor.
You can't rename leaders for an existing game. All you can do is make a mod which includes an expanded (or changed) set of leader names. But that mod won't affect your existing game.

I have a questions though. How do you change the name of a named elite once you've given it a name. I'd like to shorten up the name I gave two of my units. Anyone know how to do it?
Old July 22, 2002, 00:35   #64
Yurt
Warlord

Local Time: 20:34
Another thing: it's still impossible to make a normal, non-wrapping map. This will probably be fixed if they are going to make a WW2 map similar to that in civ2 but I don't want to wait until December or whenever the expansion is coming out. And despite this, the map never wraps when you look at it in the editor, so when I am editing something that's right on the edge I have to flip back and forth from one side of the map to the other. Annoying.

The player starting locations seems to work well though, and I like how it is relatively easy to create cities and units, and customize them.
Old July 22, 2002, 01:27   #65
Iskandar Reza
Civilization III PBEM
Prince

Local Time: 12:34
Ayyyy..... installed the patch. The game doesn't detect my CD. WTF??
"Who's your Daddy? You know who your Daddy is, huh?? It's me! Yeah.. I'm your Daddy! Uh-huh! How come I'm your Daddy! 'Coz I did this to your Mama? Yeah, your Mama! Yeah this your Mama! Your Mama! You suck man, but your Mama's sweet! You suck, but your Mama, ohhh... Uh-huh, your Mama! Far out man, you do suck, but not as good as your Mama! So what's it gonna be? Spit or swallow, sissy boy?" - Superfly, joecartoon
Old July 22, 2002, 01:31   #66
Switch
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Iskandar Reza
Ayyyy..... installed the patch. The game doesn't detect my CD. WTF??
Is it in the first lettered CD drive? THis used to be a problem, if it wasn't in the first CD drive, but was fixed in some patch. I guess it's back?
Old July 22, 2002, 05:35   #67
Iskandar Reza
Civilization III PBEM
Prince

Local Time: 12:34
There's only one CD-ROM drive
"Who's your Daddy? You know who your Daddy is, huh?? It's me! Yeah.. I'm your Daddy! Uh-huh! How come I'm your Daddy! 'Coz I did this to your Mama? Yeah, your Mama! Yeah this your Mama! Your Mama! You suck man, but your Mama's sweet! You suck, but your Mama, ohhh... Uh-huh, your Mama! Far out man, you do suck, but not as good as your Mama! So what's it gonna be? Spit or swallow, sissy boy?" - Superfly, joecartoon
Old July 22, 2002, 08:12   #68
The Viceroy
Prince

Local Time: 05:34
OK I spent the whole of sat making a giant 16 civ world as it is today scenario, and I found the following...

The Editor grinds to a halt when adding things (railroad etc) and seems to hit the hard disk each time.

The Scenario took 2 hours to Configure .. when you see my machine stats, you will not want to play it on a P2 350 (machine stats below)

After leaving it for 2 hours, having a bit of a play, and re-starting a new game, Queen Elizabeth found herself called Queen Tony Blair, in the select civ screen, I did something to refresh it (I think I read the text on the English) and it reset to Elizabeth.

Maybe its me, but I couldn't see any way of setting the current date .. probably not a bug, just I spent so much time placing cities, railroads etc .. I just wanted to see it play.

I got an extra settler + worker when I started the scenario, in South African territory...

When selecting city improvements, it would be nice if you could only select the improvement available to you .. I was sick and tired of accidently giving cities like Madrid a harbour and oil platform .. dohh .. It would be nice also if the city had a river, not to let me select an aquaduct, so it would reduce the costs ..

Again, it would be nice to know if the city changes have resulted in mass starvation without having to play each civ to check..

My computer spec is
Pentium 2Ghz, 256Mb Ram, 36Gb HD running XP HE, with virtually all services switched off (to maximise processor/memory available).
Old July 22, 2002, 08:43   #69
dunk
Prince

Local Time: 00:34
After playing with the editor, I have some negative feedback...

The Add / Delete buttons are a great thing, but they seem incomplete. I have to do more work in Windows Explorer to get anything to function properly than in the editor. Why can't it copy an existing unit if I want it to?

When I add a new civ, the next step is to make every single unit available to it. Ugh, what a pain. Why can't all the default units (ones available to all civs) be available to my new civ?

I also have to give a leader portrait animation. Ugh, that means I have to have duplicates. Why do I need to have one anyway?

Am I required to create a civilopedia entry for all my new additions? Ugh. I hardly look at the civilopedia anymore. I did while learning the game, not now. and I'm certainly not going to look at it to see what the unit I created 20 minutes before does. I get some error mentioning pediaicons.txt when I play my incomplete mod.

Browse buttons would be nice for things in the editor where I have to designate a filename and path.

I haven't played too far into a game to see what's happened with gameplay, but the list of changes looks like an improvement. I saw the Fortify All and Wake All options, very nice.

I'm hoping there will be some kind of manual for how to use the editor. With all the crap I have to outside of it, I would like some reminders.
Old July 22, 2002, 11:35   #70
JRWMD
Settler

Dear folks,

I'm pleased to report that the 129 patch used my (heavily modded but not particularly weird) bic file without problems. I used the new corruption slider to decrease corruption (at Monarch level) to 80%. Lo and behold there is NO CORRUPTION AT ALL in any city (under Despotism). This was a new game started with 129.

This can't be right! Really takes the incentive away from advancing govt types!

JR
Old July 22, 2002, 12:03   #71
SpencerH
Civilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerBtS Tri-League
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by dunk
After playing with the editor, I have some negative feedback...

Am I required to create a civilopedia entry for all my new additions? Ugh. I hardly look at the civilopedia anymore. I did while learning the game, not now. and I'm certainly not going to look at it to see what the unit I created 20 minutes before does. I get some error mentioning pediaicons.txt when I play my incomplete mod.
Just use an existing "PTRO_". It seems to work fine and saves a lot of unnecessary text editing.
If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.
Old July 22, 2002, 13:10   #72
dunk
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by SpencerH

Just use an existing "PTRO_". It seems to work fine and saves a lot of unnecessary text editing.
I'll try that. Thanks.

I wish it were this way though:

Create a new unit without a civilopedia entry. If I try to go to that entry in the game, the game simply informs me, no entry exists for "XXXXX".
Old July 22, 2002, 13:18   #73
W4r_Machine
Warlord

Local Time: 22:34
The editor so far has been great! No hitches what so ever*. Minimap rules!

*Except the scenarios are slugish and turns takes a lot longer.

I made Middle Earth(lord of the rings map) and packed it with Barbarians maybe that's slowing my game...
have struck again
Old July 22, 2002, 13:29   #74
vondrack
lifer
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEMPtWDG Legoland
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Iskandar Reza
There's only one CD-ROM drive
Well, I have a small problem with the CD detection as well (using WinXP Pro). Civ3 will not recognize the CD even if it is in the drive. However, simply ejecting and reloading the CD helps. I am really looking forward to a No-CD crack, as it is going to relieve me of this strange ritual every time I want to launch Civ3...
Old July 22, 2002, 13:45   #75
planetfall
Prince

1.29 first impressions
GOOD
1. Installs cleanly
2. Option to turn off nag popup on city size
3. Wake|fortify all
4. Units that generate a leader are identified. {Sorry only one chance to name them, can't rename later. Boo-hoo}

BAD
1. Armies now limited to 11 initially. {Can build more after unknown event: guess is either number of armies AI has or armies on continent.
2. Default corruption rate increased

CHANGED
1. AI attacks on multifronts now, at least 3.
2. Government changes after first change take a bit longer
3. Egypt slightly more aggressive
4. Iroquios slight tendency to take affront quicker
5. WW seems slightly higher.
6. AI puts more military at front lines
7. AI baits more urging you to declare war
8. AI seems better at generating elite troops

ANNOYANCES
1. Food and shield graphics in city view are UGLY
2. Still no easy way to identify preference changes between my last .bic file and new .bic file.

Evaluation-- mostly tweaks, give Firaxis a B grade. Army change is very bad. This needs to be fixed for PTW. On corruption choice is either to adjust slider or live with more corruption. Significant changes missing:

1. Manhattan as small wonder
  2. Option to remove obsolete units from city build list
  3. keep active the unit list of large stack
Old July 22, 2002, 15:03   #76
dunk
Prince

Re: 1.29 first impressions
Quote:
Originally posted by planetfall
ANNOYANCES
1. Food and shield graphics in city view are UGLY
They were changed? I didn't notice.
Old July 22, 2002, 17:22   #77
Dan Magaha FIRAXIS
Firaxis Games

Quote:
Originally posted by Alexnm
About the download...

Dan is surprisingly lazy these days. The patch cannot be downloaded from the official civ3 website...

Or is there a problem? I surely hope not...
I am no longer the webmaster, I have different responsibilities these days. It's basically in Infogrames' hands to update the site once we give them the content now.

Dan
Old July 22, 2002, 17:28   #78
Capt Pungent
Settler

Local Time: 20:34
Location: 'twixt the desert and the sea of Southern California...
NO CD Crak
Added by Ming:
Yes... it is against the rules to post the address...
This site does not condone any illegal actions.

So I deleted the link.

If you post it again, your will be restricted from posting.

Last edited by Capt Pungent; July 25, 2002 at 17:44.
Old July 22, 2002, 17:44   #79
player1
Emperor

Local Time: 06:34
You shoudn't be posting links to no-cd fixes, Capt Pungent.

That's against the rules of this board.
Old July 22, 2002, 19:22   #80
JoeinBH
Settler

Local Time: 04:34
No CD
Sorry to come to the defense of someone going by the name of Pungent, but NoCD patches can be a lifesaver. A couple of weeks ago, my fiance thought that I was spending just a bit too much time on Civ, so she broke the CD in half. Literally! I purchased the right to the intellectual property that is Civ3. That intellectual property remains on my computer, and I'm darn glad a patch allows me to access it. Otherwise, I might have actually gotten mad at the fiance. There is 1) nothing wrong and 2) nothing illegal with this limited use of NoCD patches (she also broke my Metal of Honor CD, so I got the patch for that as well). Furthermore, I reviewed the usage rules for this forum and found no written, objective basis for removing Pungent's patch. If Ming has a cite otherwise, I'd be interested in seeing it.

Joe
Old July 22, 2002, 21:07   #81
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 06:34
Now there's a girl is really want to meet
Old July 22, 2002, 21:16   #82
Alex
Emperor

Local Time: 01:34
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan Magaha FIRAXIS

I am no longer the webmaster, I have different responsibilities these days. It's basically in Infogrames' hands to update the site once we give them the content now.

Dan
Oh, I did not know about this, Dan.

Hmm... so now Infogrames updates civ3.com? Somehow I am not surprised that the patch was not available from the site Anyway, they put it there, so never mind. (I had already downloaded it from Apolyton...).

Just curious, Dan... what are your responsibilities these days?
Old July 22, 2002, 21:18   #83
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Uh, Joe,
I have a baaad feeling about this relationship.
Either the one with your fiance or with Civ3 -- they do NOT sound very compatible.

(I'm a bachelor)
I play BtS (3.19) -- Noble or Prince, Rome, marathon speed, huge hemispheres (2 of them), aggressive AI, no tech brokering. I enjoy the Hephmod Beyond mod. For all non-civ computer uses, including internet, I use a Mac.
Old July 22, 2002, 22:53   #84
Coracle
Prince

OK, I give up.

The AI still cannot use bombardment units offensively. They will run right back home if you try to.

Why?
Old July 22, 2002, 23:19   #85
Dan Magaha FIRAXIS
Firaxis Games

Quote:
Originally posted by Alexnm

Oh, I did not know about this, Dan.

Hmm... so now Infogrames updates civ3.com? Somehow I am not surprised that the patch was not available from the site Anyway, they put it there, so never mind. (I had already downloaded it from Apolyton...).

Just curious, Dan... what are your responsibilities these days?
I'm working as an associate producer now, on various projects, including the Win2000/XP patches we're doing for the back-catalogue, and another, as-of-yet-unnanounced project.

Dan
Old July 22, 2002, 23:36   #86
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Oh, great! So what IS as-of-yet-unnanounced, Dan??

BTW, basically CIV is the ONLY game I have played for a few years, so I probably wouldn't be interested in as-of-yet-unnanounced anyway.
I play BtS (3.19) -- Noble or Prince, Rome, marathon speed, huge hemispheres (2 of them), aggressive AI, no tech brokering. I enjoy the Hephmod Beyond mod. For all non-civ computer uses, including internet, I use a Mac.
Old July 23, 2002, 03:27   #87
vulture
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafC4DG Gathering Storm
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Yurt
Another thing: it's still impossible to make a normal, non-wrapping map. This will probably be fixed if they are going to make a WW2 map similar to that in civ2 but I don't want to wait until December or whenever the expansion is coming out. And despite this, the map never wraps when you look at it in the editor, so when I am editing something that's right on the edge I have to flip back and forth from one side of the map to the other. Annoying.

The player starting locations seems to work well though, and I like how it is relatively easy to create cities and units, and customize them.
At least you can more-or-less fudge your way around the flat map issue. Put in a vertical line of mountains from pole to pole (to stop ships sailing past, amongst other things), then a few columns of water, then another pole to pole mountain range. Make the whole thing wide enough that a city on one side of the moutains can't reach the other side with bombers, paratroops or helicopters.

Since you can't build cities on mountains, no-one can create a port on this mountain-surrounded sea, so no ships can ever get there. And it's too wide for bombers, and land units can get across via the poles. Net result: there is no way from one side to the other.

Not perfect though. As far as corruption goes, the distances between cities at 'opposite' ends of the map isn't anywhere near as large as it should be (although this isn't likely to be a huge problem for most of the game). You might want to be able to build cities on mountains. Plus it means that there is a large, unnatural mountain chain, which may just be useful for some situations.
Old July 23, 2002, 05:00   #88
Zanzin
Prince

Local Time: 14:34
Sounds interesting Dan!

I think I'll go download the patch now, taken me a while to get around to it though!
Old July 23, 2002, 14:54   #89
bshirt
Settler

Local Time: 04:34
I've noticed the AI is "much" more aggressive with developing (or maybe just crediting) its culture. Makes it a much more challenging game for me.

Anyone else notice that?
Old July 23, 2002, 17:34   #90
planetfall
Prince

AI is also more aggressive with techs. No longer starts from left and works to right. Now beelines to navigation.