TERMINATING PROGRAM

have a nice day
Old August 11, 2002, 20:53   #152
Coracle
Prince

Local Time: 23:34
Local Date: October 31, 2010
FIRAXIS: FIX THIS!!
We are all tired of the TEDIUM of rival civs' military units and especially settlers marching into our territory. Settlers do it EVEN WHEN AT WAR with the human - which is suicidal and stupid.

It sometimes takes until the THIRD TURN to reach the "Declare War or get out" phase. And then settlers TELEPORT themselves to the OTHER side of my civ where they build a town!!

I am tired of wasting my time telling them to get out.

I want TERRITORIAL INTEGRITY. If we are Polite or Gracious we tell them ONCE to get out and they leave by the same route they came in by. If not Gracious or Polite, entering our territory is an act of war.

The human? If the human moves more than two units past a border of a non-Gracious or Polite civ it is an act of war. One or two might be an error.

Whatever. But DO SOMETHING. The lack of border integrity is as annoying and tedious as could be. And if I attack these pests I take a rep hit!
Old August 12, 2002, 01:06   #153
sprucemoose3311
Chieftain

Local Time: 20:34
Please let Firaxis get PTW correct the first time so theres less than 18 patches
I have "discovered" this wonderous glitch found in the new patch. The resource coal has completely disappeared from the game. No railroads, nothing can be built that requires coal (of course). Also the patch deleted my play civ3 icon (i made a new one, no big deal)
Old August 12, 2002, 08:41   #154
Ribannah
Queen

Local Time: 05:34
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Location: The Netherlands, Embassy of the Iroquois Confederacy
Sounds like the installation was incomplete.
Old August 12, 2002, 11:04   #155
Level
Warlord

Local Time: 21:34
Re: Please let Firaxis get PTW correct the first time so theres less than 18 patches
Menkerios, the AI will only trade citys for peace, if you add anything else it will not acept.

sprucemoose3311, if there is no place that coal can be there will be no coal.
My units: MechWalker,Rocket soldier,Hover Tank,Crawler,Hover Copter
Old August 12, 2002, 17:34   #156
Ribannah
Queen

The score in the game's Hall of Fame is still the victory score minus the normal last turn addition.
Old August 14, 2002, 05:47   #157
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Local Time: 06:34
Quote:
Originally posted by Ribannah
Sounds like the installation was incomplete.
hi ,

, you got something there , sometimes when you had a mod and upgrade , some files are not overwritten or updated , .....

not all the way their fault , but they could make some files easier to work with

Firaxis , sometimes when you place a unit on the map in the editor , its not there , ....

example , you make cruise rockets to go aboard a sub , before you start to place the units on the map , then when you play there are only 5 rockets , while you put 8 or so there , ...

have a nice day
Old August 14, 2002, 15:56   #158
sysopje
Settler

Local Time: 04:34
there are still no sellerbonus in the new patch.
Old August 16, 2002, 03:22   #159
Rasputin
lifer
DiploGamesThe Courts of Candle'Bre
Deity

Local Time: 14:34
just finished a game on Chieftan level playing as romans, had a cultural victory and the game crashed after getting a LoaD Error in Civolepdia No text in Love Romans ?????
GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71
Old August 17, 2002, 15:18   #160
GrendelS
Chieftain

changes so far
hello there,

as far as I can see, there are a few minor glitches. I play with 1.29f, W2k, Regent level with the Chinese against 16 other Civs. In 1882, I killed the Russians, but hey, they are still in the Diplomacy screen, we have now peace with them because although I got their world and territory map in exchange for peace (after I killed all their cities and got maps from all other Civs to be sure), there was no Russian city on the map. I can´t spy on them neither, but Diplomacy is o.k. *grin*

In the foreign advisor screen there are only me and four other Civs (Japanese, Indian, Iroquois, Germans), when I killed off one of them, and the empty spot gets replaced by the yellow background circle, if I click it, it´s either Japan (2) or India (1).

The enemy is good at bargaining, too. If I want to have a luxury, they ask world map, tech, 1000 credits plus 50 every turn, whatever - I can only ask for 45, 50 credits per turn, not more.

I signed a peace treaty with the Japanese, everything´s fine until one of my ships sent by autopilot somewhere else is too stupid to keep out of their waters. Land units take horribly care of not touching enemy squares, but on sea.... dzdzdz

The same is true for workers. What are my automated workers doing in enemy territory?? BTW, I´d also like to order them to automatically create forests, but that´s not possible.

Something else that surprised me. All Civs hated me to the death, furious etc. pp. Now, entering modern times, Iroquois, Indian etc. changed from that to polite within one or two rounds without me doing anything. I have given luxury as presents to the Japanese, never fought a war with them in 1000 years (in contrary to the I.), i.e. and they are still furious with me. In short, the computer´s behaviour is unpredictable.

Some units, one warrior and ...what´s its name, the 1.2.1 guy with the big shield? I couldn´t upgrade them, so sometime after I invented tanks and mechs, I disbanded them. What was the reason for not being upgradeable? I don´t know.

O.k., maybe more later

best regards and thanks for the greatest game of all time

Grendel S.
Old August 18, 2002, 05:04   #161
Ribannah
Queen

The percentages of reasons for unhappiness sometimes add up to 99% (eg 85% too crowded, 14% oppression).
Old August 18, 2002, 10:47   #162
SABRA
Civilization II Democracy Game: Exodus
Warlord

The editor needs some work .
When trying to place some units , they showed up in the editor , but when the game started they where not there .
Old August 18, 2002, 11:17   #163
GrendelS
Chieftain

millitary
hi guys,

two things I just noticed... althouh I never had any millitary contact or spies etc. with another civ, my adviros is still able to tell me if I´m stronger than them. How come?

Something else... there was a run on Russian cities, most of them are mine now , but... the Civ still exists, at least in the diplomacy screen. My millitary advisor tells me I should plant a spy to see enemy units, but I can´t conduct espionage on them. Same with the french. Before I smashed the Babylonians though, I saw two ships leaving with a transport. In the histograph, the civs seem to have vanished (can´t spot a pixel in their color, but it´s too eary to be sure), but there was no message about that. I guess there is a unit of theirs, somewhere out there. If they don´t have a city anymore, and espionage is impossible, the game for them should be over, shouldn´t it?

bye

Grendel
Old August 18, 2002, 11:40   #164
Panag
Emperor

Re: millitary
Quote:
Originally posted by GrendelS
hi guys,

two things I just noticed... althouh I never had any millitary contact or spies etc. with another civ, my adviros is still able to tell me if I´m stronger than them. How come?

Something else... there was a run on Russian cities, most of them are mine now , but... the Civ still exists, at least in the diplomacy screen. My millitary advisor tells me I should plant a spy to see enemy units, but I can´t conduct espionage on them. Same with the french. Before I smashed the Babylonians though, I saw two ships leaving with a transport. In the histograph, the civs seem to have vanished (can´t spot a pixel in their color, but it´s too eary to be sure), but there was no message about that. I guess there is a unit of theirs, somewhere out there. If they don´t have a city anymore, and espionage is impossible, the game for them should be over, shouldn´t it?

bye

Grendel
hi ,

travelers report

have a nice day
Old August 18, 2002, 12:39   #165
GrendelS
Chieftain

AI error?
modern times, attach with a huge mech army, two other units. The Iroquois city had a size of two, and one defending unit. Plus two battleships and an ironclad.
I waited on that square for one or two round until I attacked and of course smashed the defenders. The enemy still had his battleships in the city - if this is not an error in the AI (it´s pure stupidity to keep them there) I don´t know what.

bye

Grendel S.
Old August 18, 2002, 12:42   #166
Panag
Emperor

Re: AI error?
Quote:
modern times, attach with a huge mech army, two other units. The Iroquois city had a size of two, and one defending unit. Plus two battleships and an ironclad.
I waited on that square for one or two round until I attacked and of course smashed the defenders. The enemy still had his battleships in the city - if this is not an error in the AI (it´s pure stupidity to keep them there) I don´t know what.

bye

Grendel S.
hi ,

indeed they keep their ships inside , this could be due to the fact they are in need of repair , or to keep a unit in the city , or to wait for a surprise attack , ...

anyway , do you have a SAV(e) , ....

have a nice day
Old August 18, 2002, 12:59   #167
GrendelS
Chieftain

ships
hi, I had no naval forces in the region, and air reconnaissance showed them as being untouched. I have no idea why he kept them in there.
Old August 18, 2002, 17:56   #168
GrendelS
Chieftain

not a bug, but annoying
I just noticed that the buttons for commandin/maintaining units change their position to left or right depending on the unit (naval/air/land). I was clicking fast because I wanted to fortify all units, but as the button moved to the left (air units, then an ICBM ), I clicked disband. Nothing happened, but imagine... ;-)

summary: every button should be stationary - on one exclusive spot.
Old August 19, 2002, 05:37   #169
Panag
Emperor

Re: not a bug, but annoying
Quote:
I just noticed that the buttons for commandin/maintaining units change their position to left or right depending on the unit (naval/air/land). I was clicking fast because I wanted to fortify all units, but as the button moved to the left (air units, then an ICBM ), I clicked disband. Nothing happened, but imagine... ;-)

hi ,

, they should have the option to hide the buttons , and get some choices when you click on the unit , ....

have a nice day
Old August 19, 2002, 15:06   #170
GrendelS
Chieftain

another AI problem
today I played Dr. Evil - initiating a nuclear war, oops, that´s what the red button is for MUAHAHAHAHAHA

hey, they wanted my tech, they forced me to do it

Anyway, the enemy had a strange strategy fighting back. In 1989, I attacked the Egyptians, nuking four of their biggest cities, including Thebes. I also attacked Zululand, and that was it. Five attacks. In addition to that, I had several transports next to Egypts, Greece and Zululands main islands (they were all on the same on, I rule the main continent), unloading Modern Armor units in enemy territory. In Greece, my troops landed next to Athens (I think... anyway, it was the capital)

In 1990, Greece nuked my troops, but I presume they also hit their own capital (aren´t nukes hitting more than just one square?), plus four or five of smaller cities. The Egyptians were funny though. They attacked a little city with no real value to me, with one unit in it and the size of two located in a vast tundra. They hit that city at least five times.

oh, and I played on Regent level
Old August 20, 2002, 02:08   #171
Level
Warlord

Re: changes so far
Many of these are old bugs or missing/hidden information, some have already been said you my want to scan through this thread.

Quote:
hello there,

as far as I can see, there are a few minor glitches. I play with 1.29f, W2k, Regent level with the Chinese against 16 other Civs. In 1882, I killed the Russians, but hey, they are still in the Diplomacy screen, we have now peace with them because although I got their world and territory map in exchange for peace (after I killed all their cities and got maps from all other Civs to be sure), there was no Russian city on the map. I can´t spy on them neither, but Diplomacy is o.k. *grin*
If they don't have any citys they may have a setler someware maybe on a boat.

Quote:
In the foreign advisor screen there are only me and four other Civs (Japanese, Indian, Iroquois, Germans), when I killed off one of them, and the empty spot gets replaced by the yellow background circle, if I click it, it´s either Japan (2) or India (1).
Shift click on the empty spots to pick whitch civ goes there.

Quote:
The enemy is good at bargaining, too. If I want to have a luxury, they ask world map, tech, 1000 credits plus 50 every turn, whatever - I can only ask for 45, 50 credits per turn, not more.
The AI will try to get the best deal it can, if they (or you) cant pay (not making enough or don't have enough) they can not accept the deal.

Quote:
I signed a peace treaty with the Japanese, everything´s fine until one of my ships sent by autopilot somewhere else is too stupid to keep out of their waters. Land units take horribly care of not touching enemy squares, but on sea.... dzdzdz
If this was before you could go on sea or ocean it will go on to the quickest safest path, did you give a ship automate or are you using goto?

Quote:
The same is true for workers. What are my automated workers doing in enemy territory?? BTW, I´d also like to order them to automatically create forests, but that´s not possible.
They may be trying to cross to other parts of your territory or conect trade routes.

Quote:
Something else that surprised me. All Civs hated me to the death, furious etc. pp. Now, entering modern times, Iroquois, Indian etc. changed from that to polite within one or two rounds without me doing anything. I have given luxury as presents to the Japanese, never fought a war with them in 1000 years (in contrary to the I.), i.e. and they are still furious with me. In short, the computer´s behaviour is unpredictable.
Never seen this.

Quote:
Some units, one warrior and ...what´s its name, the 1.2.1 guy with the big shield? I couldn´t upgrade them, so sometime after I invented tanks and mechs, I disbanded them. What was the reason for not being upgradeable? I don´t know.
To upgrade you need to have the unit in a city with barracks that is conected to all the required resources.

Quote:
They know that if you had any contact with them at all.

Quote:
There cuold be a setler on the transport.

Quote:
Quote:
hi, I had no naval forces in the region, and air reconnaissance showed them as being untouched. I have no idea why he kept them in there.
The AI will put it's units in the safest place it can even if it will destory them.

Quote:

I think they did this so buttons don't float in the middle of noware, they may change this in PtW, you can use short cut keys and you will get less erors like that.

Quote:
In 1990, Greece nuked my troops, but I presume they also hit their own capital (aren´t nukes hitting more than just one square?), plus four or five of smaller cities. The Egyptians were funny though. They attacked a little city with no real value to me, with one unit in it and the size of two located in a vast tundra. They hit that city at least five times.
The AI will attack the weakest city first.

Quote:
Grendel S.
My units: MechWalker,Rocket soldier,Hover Tank,Crawler,Hover Copter
Old August 20, 2002, 04:13   #172
GrendelS
Chieftain

Re: Re: changes so far
Quote:
Originally posted by Level
Many of these are old bugs or missing/hidden information, some have already been said you my want to scan through this thread.
hmm, I looked quite quickly through it, sure it´s possible that I overlooked some of it.

Quote:
If they don't have any citys they may have a setler someware maybe on a boat.
Yes, that´s what I thought too...

Quote:
The AI will try to get the best deal it can, if they (or you) cant pay (not making enough or don't have enough) they can not accept the deal.
well, Greece had most of the time more money than me, but they, too, were asking for so much, if I had asked them, they would be insulted by the offer

Quote:
If this was before you could go on sea or ocean it will go on to the quickest safest path, did you give a ship automate or are you using goto?
automate a ship? I press g for goto and tell them to move somewhere, if it takes 10 rounds or so they sometimes move through enemy waters. Cultural borders seemed to be permeable for naval units.

Quote:
They (workers) may be trying to cross to other parts of your territory or conect trade routes.
O.k., in the cases I meant it was not my territory, but perhaps they entered enemy territory because they wanted to connect trade routes. But the AI directly complains about workers, so what´s the use in having them cross the border without permission?

[...]

about the sudden change of mood towards my civ, I`ll test it, if it doesn´t happen again (it was positive, but surprising) I couldn´t care less

Quote:
about AI:

The AI will put it's units in the safest place it can even if it will destory them.
Considering the attack, the city was the least safest place. If the AI can´t "guess" it´s chances against superior attackers, of course it´s going to keep everything in the city. A human player can "guess" that his city is doomed, escape with any wealth (sell improvements), units and then abandon the city so the enemy doesn´t get it.

Quote:
The AI will attack the weakest city first.
That can´t be true. Egypt was the one hitting one city (the weakest) several times, Greece didn´t. Although they didn´t hit my biggest or most important cities, the attack was "better" - who would spend an expensive nuke on a little city anyway?

best regards,

Grendel

p.s.: some of the stuff is mentioned in the FAQ (very useful)

Last edited by GrendelS; August 20, 2002 at 05:00.
Old August 21, 2002, 06:07   #173
Panag
Emperor

Re: another AI problem
Quote:
today I played Dr. Evil - initiating a nuclear war, oops, that´s what the red button is for MUAHAHAHAHAHA

hey, they wanted my tech, they forced me to do it

Anyway, the enemy had a strange strategy fighting back. In 1989, I attacked the Egyptians, nuking four of their biggest cities, including Thebes. I also attacked Zululand, and that was it. Five attacks. In addition to that, I had several transports next to Egypts, Greece and Zululands main islands (they were all on the same on, I rule the main continent), unloading Modern Armor units in enemy territory. In Greece, my troops landed next to Athens (I think... anyway, it was the capital)

oh, and I played on Regent level
hi ,

do you have a save still somewhere around , ....

have a nice day
Old August 21, 2002, 06:10   #174
Panag
Emperor

hi ,

they should fix the "hidden nationality" , ...

example > when a unit has it , and goes to land that belongs to the AI , without that you ever had contact , they contact you , ....so what is the use then of "hidden nationality" , ...

also , Firaxis , please fix the identity of the workers and settlers when they are captured

have a nice day
Old August 21, 2002, 06:11   #175
bj
Chieftain

Hi, here are some comments on civ3 we’ve had, I’ve read through this thread so ignore anything that is well known or mentioned elsewhere.

Bugs:

1) Attempt to rebase an aircraft and just as you click the screen moves (mouse edge of screen) and the aircraft ends up off base EG out in the middle of the ocean, or on land, from where they can be used as per usual. Experienced twice, Lost the screen grab.

2) Granary (built much earlier on) seemingly not working, correct me if im wrong...:

3) A knight upgraded to a cavalry that acts as a cavalry in all respects (combat, movement, stack movement IE the j key) but the name knight remains, as in:

4) Happened a few times, pressing f3 to bring up military stats will crash the game.

5) BIG problem, has been happening since we got civ 3, vaguely remember someone posting something similar a while back. Basically, wait/fortify/sleep/do nothing actions work, but the unit remains selected and it doesnt move on to the next unit. EG I press F, the fortify animation plays, but the selection disc remains on that unit and nothing happens. Its possible to select other units etc, but the same problem occurs.
I have since found a weird, temporary solution that works half the time – alt-tab to another full screen window/application and back again. Very annoying, has sometimes been accompanied by random crashes requiring computer restart, not just civ3. Sometimes it’ll start happening a few minutes after starting the game, other times not at all in a 5 hour sitting. If there’s a trigger, I haven’t noticed it.

Suggestions:

A lot of the trade anomolies (eg requesting gems, offering 500 gold per turn and the AI not accepting) could be smoothed out if an explanation was given, not just “They would never accept this deal” etc. There are obviously already conditions that determine whether they’ll accept a deal so it shouldn’t be hard to let us know why not. For example, it seems to me that its often the case they will not accept an excellent offer like above if there is something in particular they want EG a science. The advisor could say something like “Elizabeth won’t accept anything but X in trade for Y”. Of course, the AI should be able to weigh up offerings and take the better one, but this is a start. It will help with future debugging of anomolies, as there seem to be a fair few of them. May I add 98% of trades you get royally screwed?

Annoyances – pretty common complaints

1) CIV 3 definitely promotes that infinite city sleaze (correct?) tactic, it’s fairly obvious that whoever has the most cities will win the game on score (just look at the leaping changes to score as cities are built). I’m a casual player, I’m not down on all the latest strategies etc but without expanding like crazy (or conquering like crazy, same deal = more cities) you cannot win on score. I should be able to win on score with my 12 cities filled with improvements, defense, wonders etc compared to my opponents run down, small, 40 odd cities (just an example). At the least it would be nice if score was a little more generous to the non-infinite-expansion maximum-cities approach.

2) AI ignoring territorial boundaries, particularly with boats, workers, and settler/unit combinations trying to settle every piece of crappy land on the map  again, the most cities win approach by the AI.

There are obviously other things that we like/dislike (EG one game I landed on an opponents island with ~12 to 15 cities, and was confronted by a stack of over 200 units –ridiculous) but things like the new trade system (bye bye caravans) are great improvements and its pretty easy to start playing and lose track of time 10 hours later, so it’s obviously as addictive as previous civ’s, so good work firaxis.
Old August 21, 2002, 06:30   #176
Panag
Emperor

hi ,

Firaxis , could you please post some feedback , comments or solutions , ....please , ..

have a nice day
Old August 21, 2002, 10:29   #177
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

bj, re your
Quote:
2) Granary (built much earlier on) seemingly not working, correct me if im wrong...:
It should split like a granary once you have half your food filled up.
I play BtS (3.19) -- Noble or Prince, Rome, marathon speed, huge hemispheres (2 of them), aggressive AI, no tech brokering. I enjoy the Hephmod Beyond mod. For all non-civ computer uses, including internet, I use a Mac.
Old August 21, 2002, 10:58   #178
Ribannah
Queen

Quote:
Originally posted by bj
At size 7 the # of columns doubles so the 10 grain you had saved don't fill half the silo. The divider won't show until the silo is half full.

Quote:
5) BIG problem, has been happening since we got civ 3, vaguely remember someone posting something similar a while back. Basically, wait/fortify/sleep/do nothing actions work, but the unit remains selected and it doesnt move on to the next unit. EG I press F, the fortify animation plays, but the selection disc remains on that unit and nothing happens. Its possible to select other units etc, but the same problem occurs .....
... Very annoying, has sometimes been accompanied by random crashes requiring computer restart, not just civ3. Sometimes it’ll start happening a few minutes after starting the game, other times not at all in a 5 hour sitting. If there’s a trigger, I haven’t noticed it.
Hmm. I've never experienced anything like that, nor has the game ever crashed on me. Sounds like a memory problem. Do you have other programs running in the background? (Your browser for instance; I usually have Notepad running to log my game.)

Quote:
1) CIV 3 definitely promotes that infinite city sleaze (correct?) tactic, it’s fairly obvious that whoever has the most cities will win the game on score (just look at the leaping changes to score as cities are built)
You don't need to pay that much attention to score. The scoring formula is rather arbitrary if you ask me, a lot of factors aren't counted. Rather, focus on winning in one of the many other ways that are availabe in Civ3.
ICS doesn't stand out as it did in CIV2, there are many good strategies now (below deity, that is).
Old August 21, 2002, 14:08   #179
Catt
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton University
King

Quote:
Originally posted by bj
3) A knight upgraded to a cavalry that acts as a cavalry in all respects (combat, movement, stack movement IE the j key) but the name knight remains, as in:
Did this "Knight" create a Great Leader earlier in the game? When presented with the "Rename this Unit?" pop-up box did you click "O" rather than "X" (this effectively renames the unit "Knight" regardless of its current unit properties -- in my first 1.29f game I had a "Horseman" that was, in fact, a quite experienced Cavalry).
Old August 22, 2002, 12:07   #180
bj
Chieftain

Hi again

re granary: well there you go, another 2 or 3 hundred hours and i might have figured that one out.

re knight/cavalry: No leader, that's why it struck me. 1.29f, so if it created a leader it should be preceded (?) by a *.

re annoying bug: Same deal on our old comp (pr200, 64mb, 4mb something with a voodoo2) as on our new (celeron 566, 384mb, 64mb gf2mx400). Doubt its lack of memory then. Only similarity is win98se. Nothing I've seen gives the impression that its caused by a background process, I usually kill most else anyway. I'll try to gather some evidence...