Catt
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton University
King

Local Time: 21:34
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by bj
Hi again

re knight/cavalry: No leader, that's why it struck me. 1.29f, so if it created a leader it should be preceded (?) by a *
Actually, the unit name is followed by a *

BUT, the * goes away when the unit is upgraded (and therefore able to generate another leader). The Knight / Cavalry thing looks exactly how it would look if a Knight had created a GL, been (inadvertantly) renamed "Knight," and later upgraded to a cavalry. Still could be a bug of course - I just thought this was the most straightforward explanation.

Catt
Old August 22, 2002, 19:22   #182
JohnF
Settler

Local Time: 16:34
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by bj
Bugs:

5) BIG problem, has been happening since we got civ 3, vaguely remember someone posting something similar a while back. Basically, wait/fortify/sleep/do nothing actions work, but the unit remains selected and it doesnt move on to the next unit. EG I press F, the fortify animation plays, but the selection disc remains on that unit and nothing happens. Its possible to select other units etc, but the same problem occurs.
I have since found a weird, temporary solution that works half the time – alt-tab to another full screen window/application and back again. Very annoying, has sometimes been accompanied by random crashes requiring computer restart, not just civ3. Sometimes it’ll start happening a few minutes after starting the game, other times not at all in a 5 hour sitting. If there’s a trigger, I haven’t noticed it.

Experienced the same problem myself long ago. The problem seemed to go away after a patch was installed. After installing the last patch, it seemed to reappear.

In trying to determine the source of this bug I started trying to backout changes until the problem disappeared. After installing the last patch , I added keepres=1 to the civiii.ini file. When I removed this statement, the problem seemed to go away.

I think the patchs in both cases replaced the civiii.ini file when installed. I had been using this option a long time ago and I think that this file replacement is the reason that disappeared back then.

Does anyone have any similar experiences with the keepres option?
Old August 25, 2002, 12:47   #183
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Local Time: 06:34
hi ,

if you start in an age , more in future age then others and click the science advisor screen the game chrashes

if you start with a city size 12 and it can grow to 13 before you build the hospital you can build it , ...

you have to drop to bellow 12 again , build the hospital (this option becomes the available) and then you can grow again , ...

when trying to put units on the map only a number shows and a color , the unit (pic) does not show

when the game chrashes in any of these ways there is a small window that appears when you click on details most of the time it start with 016f , .....

Firaxis what changed at 1.16f so that we can understand these problems , ...?

and when if any will there be a new patch ?

have a nice day
Old August 25, 2002, 14:26   #184
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 00:34
Re: FIRAXIS: FIX THIS!!
Quote:
Originally posted by Coracle
We are all tired of the TEDIUM of rival civs' military units and especially settlers marching into our territory. Settlers do it EVEN WHEN AT WAR with the human - which is suicidal and stupid.

It sometimes takes until the THIRD TURN to reach the "Declare War or get out" phase. And then settlers TELEPORT themselves to the OTHER side of my civ where they build a town!!

I am tired of wasting my time telling them to get out.

I want TERRITORIAL INTEGRITY. If we are Polite or Gracious we tell them ONCE to get out and they leave by the same route they came in by. If not Gracious or Polite, entering our territory is an act of war.

The human? If the human moves more than two units past a border of a non-Gracious or Polite civ it is an act of war. One or two might be an error.

Whatever. But DO SOMETHING. The lack of border integrity is as annoying and tedious as could be. And if I attack these pests I take a rep hit!
Count me in.
Old August 27, 2002, 10:36   #185
Desert Dog
Warlord

Local Time: 20:34
No sound on for some units
I keep experiencing units that are missing some sounds. Usually it is the attack or bombard that stops working. This gets worse when a BIC is modified. My theory is that due to the maps and all being included in the BIC file, when someone mods that BIC it grows size, this slows the game down for sure the larger it gets, and most likely is causing sound to disappear partially on some units. I found that this even happens sometimes with the standard BIC. I have all of the common devices on my high end PC. Creative Lab LIVE!, 256 Megs of RAM, Ge-Force 4 video card, 1 Gig AMD Thunderbird processor. THis does happen more frequent when I have installed a mod, I am a tester for The Balancer 3.0 mod. I have noticed that this does get worse the more things that are added to the BIC file. Initially it only happens to the barbarian units, but later it spreads to other units. One more point, this missing sound happened the moment barbarians first appeared. When I arrived at the Industrial age, all of my sounds returned. Now I am about to leave the industrial age for modern and sounds again disappear. It seems to be a memory issues that relates too how large the BIC is. Very frustrating to find any bugs now when statements have been made that no more patches will be released for this version of Civ3.) This is poor customer service in my book. All errors should be fixed totally and completely. IMHO.
Old August 27, 2002, 16:16   #186
Panag
Emperor

hi ,

indeed there are sound problems , but in most cases you just have to save the game then you close it and just reload it to have the music back , ...

have a nice day
Old August 27, 2002, 17:00   #187
Desert Dog
Warlord

Misunderstood.
Quote:
Originally posted by panag
hi ,

indeed there are sound problems , but in most cases you just have to save the game then you close it and just reload it to have the music back , ...

have a nice day
I think you misread my message, no where do I mention music. I am talking about unit sounds. I have tracked down the problem when I am using a mod that has the barbarian set to a unique unit something else besides horsemen. I found this to happen with The Balancer mod where Elucidus is using a unique barbarian units Bandit (Horsemen animation) and Brigantine Pirate ship (galley Animation using Pirate Galley designed by one of the graphic mod artists.)
If I delete the bandit from the BIC all of my sounds work perfectly. This is obviously a bug that does not allow you to change the unit graphics for the barbarian units.
I had sound issues another time when I changed the barbarian to a unique named unit. Used same graphic & animation and sound disappeared. We need another patch for sure I just hope Firaxis listens to the problem and aggressively fixes it.
Hopefully anyways
Old August 28, 2002, 10:10   #188
Panag
Emperor

Re: Misunderstood.
Quote:
Originally posted by Desert Dog

I think you misread my message, no where do I mention music. I am talking about unit sounds. I have tracked down the problem when I am using a mod that has the barbarian set to a unique unit something else besides horsemen. I found this to happen with The Balancer mod where Elucidus is using a unique barbarian units Bandit (Horsemen animation) and Brigantine Pirate ship (galley Animation using Pirate Galley designed by one of the graphic mod artists.)
If I delete the bandit from the BIC all of my sounds work perfectly. This is obviously a bug that does not allow you to change the unit graphics for the barbarian units.
I had sound issues another time when I changed the barbarian to a unique named unit. Used same graphic & animation and sound disappeared. We need another patch for sure I just hope Firaxis listens to the problem and aggressively fixes it.
Hopefully anyways
hi ,

music equals and includes sound , ....

any way its the same , ...

just save , close and reload the saved game , .....

that should do the trick in most cases , ...

have a nice day
Old August 28, 2002, 10:39   #189
Desert Dog
Warlord

Huh?
With all due respect why are you replying to my messages for Firaxis? First off you still have no clue what I am talking about. Again the music works fine, it sucks and I NEVER use it, ok? Next, this problem never goes away. If I use a BIC that has no mod whatsoever then all the sounds work. If I try to run The Balancer or change one of the barbarian units the sound will disappear. I have all of the latest drivers, so that is not it.
What I am trying to discribe here if you would quit trying to solve it is a HUGH bug preventing users from making mods and scenario's any way they want them to be. We should be able to modify anything in Civ3 if Firaxis expects this game to have any sort of replay value and last for a long time like Civ2 and SMAC has. Currently it has many limitations that is going to make some players too quit playing it all together.
I am a total Civ addict. I will be considering just that myself if these bugs are not addressed soon. I am trying to stress to Firaxis that they need to come out with another patch. The Life span of Civ3 is at stake. IMHO
Old August 28, 2002, 12:31   #190
Level
Warlord

A lot of custom units do not have sounds, check the INIs.
But if that is not the problem it could be a memory leak which would need to be fixed.
My units: MechWalker,Rocket soldier,Hover Tank,Crawler,Hover Copter
Old August 28, 2002, 12:51   #191
Desert Dog
Warlord

No it is a new bug for sure!
Quote:
Originally posted by Level
A lot of custom units do not have sounds, check the INIs.
But if that is not the problem it could be a memory leak which would need to be fixed.
Thanks too everyone who is trying to help with their comments. I have been a tester for quit some time with various mods. I pretty much know what causes errors. Trust me I checked all of the common errors possible. There are simply quite a few bugs that need to be fixed. These bugs aren't being looked at even in the PTW XP release. The Balancer mod has prisoners, bandit, pioneer, and Brigantine Pirate ship as extra units that are not normally replaced by anyone. I have an AMD Thunderbird processor all of these bugs could be related to not having the SSE instruction set incorporated into it. The next release by AMD will include the complete SSE Extensions. It seems that Firaxis is limited the number of total buildings, wonders, and units that can be added. Civ3 has problems when you try to change the standard citizens to something else, or add in additional ones. (Scicnetists, tax collectors etc)

Here is another bug I encountered just today. I had 3 sources of Salt Peter. From one turn to the next I lost all of them without a popup telling me that it ran out. I have never seen this before at all in any game I have played.

Here is another one, I have a pack with Egypt. 2 Turns later Rome, Japan & Germany all sign an alliance against her. 4 Turns later I still have peace treaties with all of them, accept they are either annoyed or cautious of me. This is yet another situation that I have never seen. 2 turns maybe but never a total of 6 turns without mandatory going to war when a pack member is attacked or at war. I lost the Salt Peter right after the war started between them all. If I do get dragged into it like I should, I now have no way to build any of my era's units.

I appreciate everyone's comments trying to help me out. I am posting this in hopes that Firaixs will pay attention and fix the last few bugs that are really hurting the game. IMHO.
Old August 28, 2002, 13:29   #192
vmxa1
Deity

I know I saw this somewhere, but I have been getting the msg to insert the CD when I start the game from the start menu while the CD was still in the drive from the last time. If I pop out the tray and pop it back in then it auto detects and starts. This started afteer the patch.
Old August 29, 2002, 10:33   #193
Level
Warlord

vmxa1, if it is working from the CD you can replace the shortcut in the start menu so it runs the autostart on the CD.
My units: MechWalker,Rocket soldier,Hover Tank,Crawler,Hover Copter
Old August 29, 2002, 11:24   #194
vmxa1
Deity

True, it is no problem as yesterday was the first time I noticed it. I normally pop the tray out when I boot up as it may be hours before I can get to the game and I may want to use another CD. I just think it is something they should fix.
Old September 2, 2002, 21:57   #195
bigvic
Prince

Local Time: 23:34
tech huh?
I was playing on monarch, modded bic, before. was able to catch up and go ahead in tech pretty well, having adjusted ai tech trading levels to sane. now, with same bic, and looking the same on edit screen, ai gets way ahead on tech on monarch level. also, somehow i can't build an early wonder these days. on the games i have played since downloading and installing, have been unable to get a wonder completed til js bach's cathedral. usually i can count on at least one or two, usually twice that many, but now, some 10 to 1 turns before my wonder is to come up - pow -someone else builds it. i even started building one almost from the start and could not get 10 turns into it whebn, pow, there it went again.

just me, because i'm hoppin' and ready to start using serious profanity?

on the other hand it is a challenge - maybe i should go back to regent.........

i like ibble blibble
Old September 2, 2002, 22:44   #196
vmxa1
Deity

Mind Staple them. Sorry could not resist. It is common for the AI to slip in the wonder just a turn ahead of you, very nasty. The best way to stop it is to be a warmongering Military type and get lots of leaders to build them in one turn.

Last edited by vmxa1; September 3, 2002 at 03:15.
Old September 2, 2002, 23:03   #197
bigvic
Prince

Local Time: 23:34
Quote:
Originally posted by vmxa1
Mind Staple them. Sorry could not resist. It is common for the AI to slip in the wonder just a turn ahead of you, very nasty. The best way to stop it is to be a warmongering Military type and get lots of leaders to build in hem in one turn.
yeah, quite often do that. but, seriously, this is what pissed me off about the 2nd to the last patch, gave me no sciene/cultural victory. usually i heartily enjoy rampaging all over those assinine bastards (ai powers) but i still would like the option, you know. think i will go back to regent and see.......

i like ibble blibble
Old September 3, 2002, 12:30   #198
Skeeve
Prince

I saw this mentioned earlier in this thread, but just to clarify so I understand:

The Renaming of a Great Leader option does not work, correct?
When prompted to give a name to your Great Leader, whatever name you choose gets assigned to the original unit and not the leader.

Is this right? Geez, if so, didn't the patch writers at least test the dang game?!

I named my great leader, Skeeve, of course but the name "Skeeve" got assigned to my Modern Armor instead.

Now I have a "Skeeve" unit running around masquerading as a Modern Armor!

Well, just wanted to check in and make sure this is the type of thing others are observing.

I still like the new patch - if only for the new "Wake/Fortify All" options. That was a great addition.

- Skeeve, the Tank.
Old September 3, 2002, 16:21   #199
vmxa1
Deity

You are correct you change the name of the unit. I do not know if that is what they wanted to do, but it makes sense to me and is useful. What is the value of changing the heros name as it will be used and disappear? The unit naming can be useful for lots of things. I use it to track the number of GL's I get and you can see what unit types are generating them.
Old September 4, 2002, 12:11   #200
Skeeve
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by vmxa1
You are correct you change the name of the unit. I do not know if that is what they wanted to do, but it makes sense to me and is useful. What is the value of changing the heros name as it will be used and disappear? The unit naming can be useful for lots of things. I use it to track the number of GL's I get and you can see what unit types are generating them.
Well now that I think about it, I see your point.
I also note that the little '*' helps to identify those units that produced a Great Leader even if you don't rename them.

I'm wondering, though. Can a unit produce a Great Leader a second time?

(Can lightning strike the same place twice?)

- Skeeve
Old September 4, 2002, 12:26   #201
vondrack
lifer
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEMPtWDG Legoland
Emperor

Local Time: 05:34
Quote:
Originally posted by Skeeve
I'm wondering, though. Can a unit produce a Great Leader a second time?
Only if you upgrade it. Its rank is then reset to conscript/regular/veteran (whatever it was produced as), the unit may again be promoted to an elite and then - produce another GL.
Old September 4, 2002, 12:58   #202
vmxa1
Deity

I posted this before, but Yes and No.
No the same unit can not if it is say a Knight. If you upgrade it to a Calvary and it becomes elite, it can make another leader. In the game where I had 55 GL's that only happened once. A tank made a GL and became a MA and made another. I think I named it Tank20 then Tank20_MA31.
Old September 4, 2002, 15:53   #203
Skeeve
Prince

Interesting.
Thanks for the response.
I guess if you are going to make an Army, you might as well use some renamed units since these have no chance of creating another GL. (Unless, as you say, they still have potential for upgrades).

Say, by the way, 55 Great Leaders!!?? How the ... what the where....???

You must have been a war monger extreme! (Not to mention possessing the Heroic Epic).

- Skeeve
Old September 4, 2002, 16:45   #204
vmxa1
Deity

Ceasar had only 6000 yrs of continued war. All civs at all times (nearly), it got very tedious after awhile, but I stuck it out to see how any GL's. Last 30 years were sort of quite as my nearest made peace and I let them. They broke the peace with a few years left. Legions mase many GL's early so I cranked up an army to get the Epic. I was burning leaders as soon as they showed, just to make it possible to get another. I would use them for ships/building anything.
Old September 4, 2002, 20:50   #205
Skeeve
Prince

What if you didn't use up the GL's, and just fortified them in your cities -- Would that have made the appearance of additional GL's any less likely?
Old September 4, 2002, 21:26   #206
vmxa1
Deity

Would have made it impossible. You can only have one at any one point in time. So I used them fast, unless a critical event was coming such as a wonder I wanted.
Old September 5, 2002, 07:16   #207
Skeeve
Prince

Hmm, I didn't know that.
It will be good to keep that in mind for my next game.

Thanks!

- Skeeve
Old September 15, 2002, 02:57   #208
E_T
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Team BabylonC4DG SarantiumCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Bugs/Problems.....
I haven't played the game from the time that the second patch cam out until after this patch came out (about 6 Months or so). I installed the new patch and started a monarch game. I'm i 580 AD and I've noticed a few things:

1) I have no trade between continents. I just added a harbor in the city that is on one of the other continents (the main country already had harbors). They aren't connecting. On the same continent, Three other Civs have Harbors too and I'm not connecting to them either. Nether I nor the other Civs have the Lighthouse Wonder. There are 2 Sea Squares between both continants (in at least two spots). Pathfind work and lays out a course for my Galleys. I don't use any methods to get there and back. This is a MAJOR problem to me, as I need the Lux that is in my colony to help the home country.

2) The other thing that I noticed I that I couldn't get a city to disband by building a settler or Worker (depending on current pop) and getting it to disband. I usually will sometimes like to capture a city and if I deem it, use the current pop to generate Settlers/workers so I can move it. This way, my main cities don't have to generate and move the settler for the new city that I build.

I quit playing because of playablity and started beck after I've heard what has been changed from back then. I'm just about to give it up for good if this isn't fixed!

E_T
Old September 15, 2002, 03:35   #209
vondrack
lifer
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEMPtWDG Legoland
Emperor

Local Time: 05:34
Re: Bugs/Problems.....
Quote:
Originally posted by E_T
1) I have no trade between continents. I just added a harbor in the city that is on one of the other continents (the main country already had harbors). They aren't connecting. On the same continent, Three other Civs have Harbors too and I'm not connecting to them either. Nether I nor the other Civs have the Lighthouse Wonder. There are 2 Sea Squares between both continants (in at least two spots). Pathfind work and lays out a course for my Galleys. I don't use any methods to get there and back. This is a MAJOR problem to me, as I need the Lux that is in my colony to help the home country.
The sea squares are your problem. Even though your galleys are able to cross them, eventually reaching the other continent, a trade route cannot be established (until you get the Great Lighthouse or Astronomy, which will both allow Galleys safely enter sea squares).

Quote:
Originally posted by E_T
2) The other thing that I noticed I that I couldn't get a city to disband by building a settler or Worker (depending on current pop) and getting it to disband. I usually will sometimes like to capture a city and if I deem it, use the current pop to generate Settlers/workers so I can move it. This way, my main cities don't have to generate and move the settler for the new city that I build.
The city will not disband, if it is generating food surplus - in such a case, it will automatically postpone completing the worker/settler. Rearrange the worked tiles so that there is no food surplus or even deficit and you will get the prompt whether to disband the city or postpone the worker/settler production.
Old September 15, 2002, 10:07   #210
E_T
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Team BabylonC4DG SarantiumCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Re: Re: Bugs/Problems.....
Quote:
Originally posted by vondrack

The sea squares are your problem. Even though your galleys are able to cross them, eventually reaching the other continent, a trade route cannot be established (until you get the Great Lighthouse or Astronomy, which will both allow Galleys safely enter sea squares).
From the Cixilopedia: On the trade & trade routes page
Water routes: In order to use a water route, YOUR civilization must be able to SAFELY trasverse EVERY SQUARE of the route and this depends upon having Mapmaking, Navigation and/or Magnatism.
I wonder why Astronomy isn't listed, anyways, there is a viable water route, there wouldn't be if you couldn't use the route planner (i.e. goto)!
I'm attaching the save game file. I'm using the standard, default BIC.

Quote:
The city will not disband, if it is generating food surplus - in such a case, it will automatically postpone completing the worker/settler. Rearrange the worked tiles so that there is no food surplus or even deficit and you will get the prompt whether to disband the city or postpone the worker/settler production.
You didn't have to in the first/second patch. This is just an annoyance, the real problem is the trade problem.