Old October 11, 2002, 13:01   #241
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 00:34
Local Date: November 1, 2010
There is no point to build additional power plants, just the one with the least impact on pollution. It is not like red Alert where you need more power to run buildings. Get Hoovers Dam and stick with the hydro plants.
Old October 11, 2002, 13:26   #242
Ethelred
King

Local Time: 20:34
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by walruskkkch
It's like you can't have both at the same time. That's the only thing I can think of but why not? They are different facilities.
It not LIKE it. That is exactly it. You can only have ONE power plant in a city, not counting the Hoover Dam Great Wonder.

Any power plant you build will replace the existing one. The Hoover Dam GW does not replace power plants, they will continue to exist and continue to pollute, if they pollute, but they don't contribute a second bonus to production. So you can have Hoover Dam and a coal plant at the same time but you only get the one production boost. If you build a Nuclear power plant in a city that has power from the Hoover GW you will get the Nuclear power plant's production bonus instead of the Hoover Dam's production bonus.
Old October 11, 2002, 13:36   #243
Zero-Tau
Chieftain

Local Time: 05:34
One more thing: The Manufacturing Plant is not a power plant and can be built together with a Coal/Hydro/Solar/Nuclear Plant.
Old October 11, 2002, 13:53   #244
walruskkkch
King

Local Time: 23:34
Quote:
Originally posted by Ethelred

It not LIKE it. That is exactly it. You can only have ONE power plant in a city, not counting the Hoover Dam Great Wonder.

Any power plant you build will replace the existing one. The Hoover Dam GW does not replace power plants, they will continue to exist and continue to pollute, if they pollute, but they don't contribute a second bonus to production. So you can have Hoover Dam and a coal plant at the same time but you only get the one production boost. If you build a Nuclear power plant in a city that has power from the Hoover GW you will get the Nuclear power plant's production bonus instead of the Hoover Dam's production bonus.
Ok, that make sense now to me. I didn't realise that was the situation.
Old October 11, 2002, 16:23   #245
vmxa1
Deity

I should have mentioned that you may want to sell off any power plants you had if Hoover is coming on the line next turn (namely coal plants if you build them).
Old October 11, 2002, 17:31   #246
Ribannah
Queen

Location: The Netherlands, Embassy of the Iroquois Confederacy
If you have the Hoover Dam and then build a Solar Plant, you still get the Hydroplant's pollution level.
Old October 11, 2002, 18:14   #247
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 21:34
Quote:
Originally posted by Ribannah
If you have the Hoover Dam and then build a Solar Plant, you still get the Hydroplant's pollution level.
Yes, you do. ZERO pollution!

Any pollution that was still there must have been from factory/population/airport/offshore drilling.
Solar Plant and a Hydro Plant have the same characteristics ... (oops, poorly stated ...),
other than cost, river requirement & maintenance.

Remember, the only improvements which REDUCE pollution are Mass Transit and Recycle Center, and they only reduce, not eliminate.
Old October 11, 2002, 18:42   #248
Ethelred
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Ribannah
They have the same pollution level. None. The Coal Plant is the only power source that causes pollution. Two pollution icons. Same as a Factory or a Manufacturing Plant.
Old October 12, 2002, 07:51   #249
Ribannah
Queen

Location: The Netherlands, Embassy of the Iroquois Confederacy
Apparently you guys never played / totally forgot Civ2. The new hydroplant is better than the old one!
On the other hand, if you had solar plant and mass transit, that was the end of pollution (barring nukes).

I only built a solar plant once, to make sure (there was nothing else to do), since there are so many errors in the 'pedia.
All my other games ended before I got that far anyway.
Old October 14, 2002, 06:36   #250
aaglo
King

Local Time: 07:34
I've just recently started playing Civ3 (the version 1.0x). One thing that really bugs me is the corruption. It's unfightable. No matter what I do (build courthouse & other city improvements, jump on my head...).

I'm French, running democracy (commercial - less corruption).My land area is huge, and the outskirts are not producing more than 1 mins / turn. I also tried to swich to communism - NO EFFECT WHATSOEVER!!!

Are there some flaws in the corruption model of the earlier versions?

Well, I'm soon to find out, I just downloaded the 1.29f -version
Old October 14, 2002, 14:28   #251
vmxa1
Deity

Well with 129f you will love the FR as the commerical trait has been given a boost. Corruptions has been tweaked a bit.
Old October 14, 2002, 22:32   #252
khines
Chieftain

Local Time: 22:34
Does the Hoover Dam Wonder act as a hydro plant in ALL cities on the continent, or just the ones with water/rivers in them?
Old October 14, 2002, 22:36   #253
Ethelred
King

All cities on the continent.

The Hoover Dam is one of the best wonders in the game. Kind of over the top really. Hoover Dam is pretty amazing but can't produce that much power. It does make all the pretty lights in Las Vegas cheap to power up.
Old October 15, 2002, 04:31   #254
Raion
Prince

Local Time: 04:34
Ah, played around with the editor and everything was working fine, and started a game to test a unit I made which was actually just a naval army unit.
Now when restoring the original civ3mod.bic file, to start up a previous saved game, and not use the modded bic file, the editor says that it can not find the Art/units/Palettes/ntp00.pcx file which was not even touched. Looked at the association, and had to change it back to Civ3Edit. But Civ3Edit give an error message, that that file can not be found and the program will not start.
Error: Cound not open file: Art\Units\Palettes\ntp00.pcx. Check to make sure the editor is run from the folder where Civilization III was installed.

Well, it is, and nothing else was changed, except trying to start either the game with the original v1.29f civ3mod.bic file in place where it should be along with the editor and the game exe file, and neither will start now. The game, starts to change the screen resolution for the opening movie, and drops back to the desktop.

The only thing right now I can think of doing is re-install the game.

Well, its not making any sense, although, I defrag my drive, and move the file around to a different logical drive first to move the modded bic file out of the way to put the original bic file back in place. Defrag the drive, now neither program work.
Crock!
Old October 15, 2002, 04:50   #255
Raion
Prince

Okay, forget previous post. Seems like the darn mouse moved the Arts folder out of the main folder for Civ 3 that I use, and got moved to the main logical drive folder. Darn right-mouse button click sticky thing.

All should be well, even though I completely re-installed it now.

Time to get out another mouse, as the right click button or the OS gets flaky moving things around that way or coping files, I guess. Its late!
Old October 15, 2002, 08:53   #256
aaglo
King

Is this a bug?

I have resources thus:
Luxuries
- 6 Ivory
- 5 Dyes
- 5 Silk
- 5 Furs
- 3 Gems
- 4 Incense

Strategic:
- 4 Iron
- 4 Coal
- 3 Horses
- 4 Salpeter
- 2 Oil
(uranium and aluminium aren't visible yet)

... and the trade advisor has the nerve to suggest, that we should acquire more resources and luxuries...

Old October 15, 2002, 13:22   #257
vmxa1
Deity

Get use to it, no amount is enough fo him.
Old October 15, 2002, 14:54   #258
Raion
Prince

Think of the Advisors as being incompetent and you have to check everything they are doing, including the Governors, because:

You are the Supreme Leader.
Old October 21, 2002, 23:41   #259
Naiveplayer
Chieftain

There's thirteen pages to this. I don't have the time nor the life to read all of them. So forgive me if my reported bug has already been mentioned.

For fun I tried to hurry production during anarchy, even though I knew I couldn't. but when I got a pop-up with a link to the Civlopedia, it was invalid. It said "Our current type of government prevents us from hurrying production" and the "hurry production" was invalid.
Old November 3, 2002, 19:00   #260
Rorschach
Settler

Hello everybody.

A variation on the "need the CD" bug.
I have the spanish version of Civ3, and I beleive it appeared here in 1.16f . I never had problems with CD, but I downloaded the patch and when executed it demanded the CD. I copied the .exe from the CD to the hard disk and now it works... but in english.

So... there's no spanish 1.29 patch? Have to reinstall to play in spanish, or there is or will be a spanish patch?

Thanks
Old November 4, 2002, 04:49   #261
astrologix
PtWDG RoleplaySpanish CiversInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Latin LoversC4DG Gathering StormPSPB Team EspañolC4BtSDG ImperioC4WDG Spamyard Team
Deity

Local Time: 06:34
Quote:
Originally posted by Rorschach
Hello everybody.

A variation on the "need the CD" bug.
I have the spanish version of Civ3, and I beleive it appeared here in 1.16f . I never had problems with CD, but I downloaded the patch and when executed it demanded the CD. I copied the .exe from the CD to the hard disk and now it works... but in english.

So... there's no spanish 1.29 patch? Have to reinstall to play in spanish, or there is or will be a spanish patch?

Thanks
Hi Rorschach

Go to this link

http://www.geocities.com/jasev/

in order to know how you can install the 1.29 patch in spanish langage.

This spanish speaking forum, hosted by Apolyton, will be useful too :

http://apolyton.net/forums/forumdisp...s=&forumid=160

Cheers
Old November 18, 2002, 03:53   #262
Redstar
Warlord

Ok..sometimes when i am playing a game...if i click on one of my advisors (military) the game will crash. This has happened before on a very rare and infrequent basis. However, in the game i'm playing now...its happened 3x

But the reason i am writing now...is that, just now, my game seems to have tilted.
It was changing between 2 screens..something to do with automated workers. At first i thought the workers were moving into an allied city (germans) but now i think maybe it was the same worker in an endless loop. I got control back and did some more moving. but then after it went back to that same windows switching..and this time it never stopped. after about 5 mins (to make sure), i tried to end task...after the fifth attempt, the civ3 process was terminated. So i rushed write over here to post this

Never seen anything like it before.

(while it was tilting..there was no "please wait..." as 1 sees when the AI is busy.

Edit: O/S is win2k pro sp3
Old November 18, 2002, 05:37   #263
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Redstar
Ok..sometimes when i am playing a game...if i click on one of my advisors (military) the game will crash. This has happened before on a very rare and infrequent basis. However, in the game i'm playing now...its happened 3x

But the reason i am writing now...is that, just now, my game seems to have tilted.
It was changing between 2 screens..something to do with automated workers. At first i thought the workers were moving into an allied city (germans) but now i think maybe it was the same worker in an endless loop. I got control back and did some more moving. but then after it went back to that same windows switching..and this time it never stopped. after about 5 mins (to make sure), i tried to end task...after the fifth attempt, the civ3 process was terminated. So i rushed write over here to post this

Never seen anything like it before.

(while it was tilting..there was no "please wait..." as 1 sees when the AI is busy.

Edit: O/S is win2k pro sp3
hi ,

do you have a save

if you do , email it to firaxis

have a niec day
Old December 5, 2002, 00:19   #264
srohlf
Settler

No Civ 3 install detected
I just installed the 1.29F patch to CivIII and now I get an error stating "No Civ 3 Install detected." It worked fine prior to the patch. Any suggestions?
Old December 10, 2002, 22:06   #265
CTPFAN
Civilization III Democracy Game
Settler

Does anyone get the occasional crash when accessing the advisors via the button at the top left.....I get the dreaded popup, with one option....close.

Edit: I see im not the only person to have this happen.....I feel better now....

Last edited by CTPFAN; December 10, 2002 at 22:20.
Old December 12, 2002, 05:17   #266
Tattila the Hun
King

Is there going to be a 1.3 patch for CIV3, or is bug reporting, well, useless?
Old December 12, 2002, 05:19   #267
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 22:34
Done like dinner.
Old December 12, 2002, 05:31   #268
Tattila the Hun
King

Huh? (In a Conan O'Brienesque W impersonation)

What's done?
Old December 12, 2002, 06:41   #269
player1
Emperor

Quote:
Is there going to be a 1.3 patch for CIV3, or is bug reporting, well, useless?
Of course it's usefull.
All bugs found here will be fixed on some PtW patch (if not already fixed in PtW).

Of course, if you don't have PtW...
Old December 12, 2002, 06:58   #270
Tattila the Hun
King

Ha, not out yet.

Actually, !