Old July 20, 2002, 15:08   #1
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 04:41
Local Date: November 1, 2010
ACSR Ideas
It would be a good idea if the ACSR radio aired the winning Civ3-Contest stories on the radio show!

Or perhaps the Faces of Apolyton could be carried live for people willing to submit their microphone voices over the airwaves

Or of course, the general old idea, the OT report on what's happening in the OT
Old July 21, 2002, 00:20   #2
DanQ
lifer
C4WDG Team ApolytonApolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 ParticipantsAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

Local Time: 00:41
Re: ACSR Ideas
Quote:
Originally posted by DarkCloud
It would be a good idea if the ACSR radio aired the winning Civ3-Contest stories on the radio show!

Or perhaps the Faces of Apolyton could be carried live for people willing to submit their microphone voices over the airwaves

Or of course, the general old idea, the OT report on what's happening in the OT
Hey DarkCloud. Thank you for your suggestions.

re: #1 above
I'll look into it.

re: #2 above
Discussed before, but at present too difficult to co-ordinate.

re: #3 above
This was the premise of the now cancelled "Apolyton Stands". If someone would be interested in reviving it and have the time to do so, email me with a sample audio clip of what you would include (even if it just you talking about what you would do) in either MP3 or RA (RealAudio) format (WAVs are simply too hefty in size and/or of too poor quality). The same goes for any other show idea, past presented or otherwise.

Just out of curiosity, are you listening to ACSR regularly?

--------------
Dan; Apolyton CS
Old July 21, 2002, 07:36   #3
Ecthy
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameSpanish Civers
Emperor

Local Time: 06:41
I thought ACSR was dead?

Anyway, I doubt that thing is ever going to be successful, especially given the ignorant attitude of those who run it towards volunteers.
Old July 21, 2002, 08:24   #4
Solver
lifer
Civilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueThe Courts of Candle'BreC4WDG Team Apolyton
Deity

Local Time: 07:41
ACSR is tough... I assume it's not too easy for Dan to record, and most people check the news section every day, so hardly liste to it. There was a time when I almost never checked news section, and used to listen to the news, but now I check the news daily.

However, ACSR is nice .

As for Faces of Apolyton... surely I could record those interviews, but there are a few problems with it.
Old July 21, 2002, 16:31   #5
DanQ
lifer
C4WDG Team ApolytonApolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 ParticipantsAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

Quote:
Originally posted by Ecthelion
I thought ACSR was dead?

Anyway, I doubt that thing is ever going to be successful, especially given the ignorant attitude of those who run it towards volunteers.
It was on extended hiatus for a time, but it's back for now.

Ecthelion, what "ignorant attidue of those who run it" are you referring to? I run ACSR exclusively and I have never been "ignorant", rude or otherwise to any suggestions or volunteer offers.

Solver: it's finding the time that is difficult during parts of the year. Once I am able to set aside the time, the actual recording/managing part is one that I have managed to more-or-less streamline.

----------------
Dan; Apolyton CS
Old July 21, 2002, 19:41   #6
tniem
King

Local Time: 23:41
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I like the idea of an OT report weekly or daily. Please some one come forward and do it. I would volunteer to do it but I am not on the OT enough to actually write the report.
Old July 22, 2002, 21:04   #7
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Quote:
As for Faces of Apolyton... surely I could record those interviews, but there are a few problems with it.
I just meant a little bit of it- such as a teaser: example:
Solver Intro: Here's Solver presenting the much-awaited DanQ interview. Due to popular vote, DanQ received the 10th interview space. Now you can see Dan's interview at thread ****** in Apoly/Community.

Here's a teaser:

Solver: So Dan Here's Question #1 ______
Dan: This is my answer ______

That way we wouldn't have too much bandwith email exchange problems!

Quote:
Just out of curiosity, are you listening to ACSR regularly?
I listened to all the ones up til Dec 2001... Recently found taht it had been reinstated- but I'm seeing now if my firewall will allow it... I'll test it If not, I'll do what I did before, and listen to it at the Library or Work or somewhere else

Ah, It seems to work, but Friday didn't seem to have much news
Old July 22, 2002, 21:06   #8
DarkCloud
staff

And dan, I always thought it was a-POLY-ton, not Oh-Poolyton (Canadians )

I love the newsshow- I just listened to the whole week... excepting Monday, which I'm listening to now

Good Work Dan

I'll see if I can record anything, but I wouldn't count on me.
#1- I'm not a regular OTer anymore (Thanks MarkandDan for destroying PC's in the OT )
#2-I have a dialup 32K modem Making it hard to upload anything bigger than 1 MB.
Old July 24, 2002, 14:28   #9
DarkCloud
staff

Just wondering- how can I record a voice on Real Player?
I have a microphone, but I don't know how to record on this new computer's software
Old July 24, 2002, 14:31   #10
Solver
lifer
Civilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueThe Courts of Candle'BreC4WDG Team Apolyton
Deity

DC: Well, small trailers of FoA can be put in ACSR news, and bigger parts of it would be, well, too big. BTW, it would be nice if you could record the FoA interviews, I can then send them to you beforehand, if you make an audio version.
Old July 24, 2002, 14:36   #11
DarkCloud
staff

I can only record my own voice- and only that If I can figure out how to make Realplayer sound record. I remember Win95 had a sound recorder and used that but now that I'm using WindowsNT or something such as that, I only have realplayer :grr:

I could do a trailer with my answers if you like and then upload it to dan to put into ACSR, but If you submit questions, I would suggest wait until I figure out how to record on this new computer! Then perhaps you could submit one question per file, and I would answer it then upload the file, etc. ! that just might work!

Congrats on 4K
Old July 24, 2002, 14:59   #12
Solver
lifer
Deity

Oh my, now that would be a hell for everyone involved . No, really, I like the idea of a FOA interview reader, though.

And also DC - you see, I got 4K, and have not gone away to the OTF, as your prophecy claimed ,
Old July 24, 2002, 15:12   #13
Buck Birdseed
Emperor

How about a Civ-related music show?
Old July 24, 2002, 18:12   #14
Dauphin
Civilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 05:41
As long as Snapcase is not the DJ that plan sounds sound.
Old July 24, 2002, 19:05   #15
Ecthy
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameSpanish Civers
Emperor

Snapcase, we've had it before, it was called Apolyton Audiogalaxy group.

4 months after it was created, AG went down. I'd rather not risk the death of this side by doing that

Dan - I feel too much personally insulted to elaborate on that.
Old July 25, 2002, 13:02   #16
DarkCloud
staff

You will soon Solver.
-
So, no one knows how to record sounds on Realplayer?
Old July 25, 2002, 13:14   #17
Solver
lifer
Deity

Never !
Old July 25, 2002, 13:21   #18
DarkCloud
staff

You'll wander in there during a debate, I bet- I'll change my prediction to 5500 however, since you seem to be posting about 20 times a day now
Old July 25, 2002, 13:44   #19
Solver
lifer
Deity

What debate ? Well, I am sometimes there, but I will not be convinced.

Oh, and yeah, I do sometimes post like 20 times, other days ever 40-60 .
Old July 25, 2002, 18:31   #20
DanQ
lifer
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

re: RealPlayer recording

Ah yes, I forgot to address this part. You cannot record in RealPlayer -- it's only playback. To record audio in RealAudio format, you will need the RealProducer (RP) also available from <A HREF="http://www.real.com" TARGET="_new">Real Networks</A>. There is a free version of RP but does not include any editing (that comes with the RP Plus).

-----------
Dan; Apolyton CS
Old July 29, 2002, 17:21   #21
Buck Birdseed
Emperor

Surely you can record RA with a variety of other software as well?

Oh, and I've got the first show of "Music Loosely Tied To Civ" planned out. The theme: Railroads.

Or perhaps not.
Old July 29, 2002, 22:14   #22
Sirotnikov
DiplomacyApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization III Democracy Game
Emperor

My vision of the apolyton stands was not just about the OT but about the forums in general.

But it felt awkward as a person can simply... visit the forums.

If people are interested and someone wishes to help me find and analyse material (I can't be everywhere, especially this year) I'm up for trying this.

A second issue is interviews.

I planned to do interviews.

However, no one was willing to record themselves answer and send it to me.

Not only that, but of the people I sent questions to, only 2 answered, and one of them with a delay of 3 weeks.

That kinda put me off track.

And then 9/11 came, while I was in final recording stages, so I dropped it.
Old July 30, 2002, 14:48   #23
DarkCloud
staff

Real player doesnt work I suppose I'll have to find some other way then
But I will