Old July 21, 2002, 23:40   #1
Kyle
Prince

Local Time: 00:45
Local Date: November 1, 2010
A way to make the AI more aggressive?
On Chieftan level? And don't say "play on Warlord" because I get buried on that level for some reason. There is no war on Chieftan level; is there a way to edit the text files to make them more aggressive?

~Lisa as Jeanne d'Arc
Old July 22, 2002, 01:14   #2
Willem
Emperor

Local Time: 21:45
Local Date: October 31, 2010
You don't use text files in Civ III, you use the editor. And yes, if you go to "Civilizations", you will find a slider that you can adjust for agressiveness. Not by very much though. Both Germany and the Zulu are already as aggressive as they can be.
Old July 22, 2002, 08:08   #3
sabrewolf
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization IV CreatorsC3CDG Desolation RowCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 06:45
yep, set the agression level to 5 for all and check the checkbox "build often": [x] offensive units in the AI section of the civilizations tabs in the editor.

and: play on prince
Old July 22, 2002, 10:07   #4
dunk
Prince

Be more aggressive yourself.

The AI seems to respond to that.

If you keep up in terms of military size, the AI won't bully you. Thus, if you don't attack, they'll just sit there. I've played a couple games where there was no war.
Old July 22, 2002, 10:19   #5
Carver
Prince

Local Time: 22:45
Quote:
Originally posted by dunk
I've played a couple games where there was no war.
Yeah, I always find warless games intresting. I've had two: a space win as China and an histographic loss as Egypt.
Old July 22, 2002, 14:27   #6
Kyle
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by dunk
Be more aggressive yourself.

The AI seems to respond to that.

If you keep up in terms of military size, the AI won't bully you. Thus, if you don't attack, they'll just sit there. I've played a couple games where there was no war.

Ah, that's my problem, I'm not the warmongering type. What I basically want to see is the AI declare war on themselves.

Not necessarily me.

Thanks all.

~Lisa as Jeanne d'Arc
Old July 22, 2002, 15:42   #7
GreyMantle
Settler

I am currently running a game with the rules edited for all Civs set to max aggression. They have all been at war for the last 1000 yrs. The AI will declare war on each other and join in alliances against each other. I have designed a map that forces a lot of ocean travel to make war and this has reduced the attrition you would normaly see on large continents. It makes for some great sea battles and lots of skirmish's.
Old July 22, 2002, 16:22   #8
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

At Chieftan the AI will have very few units and very poorly developed cities.

It is unlikely that anyone of them would get the advantage in numbers that they normally need to start wars of aggression. It could happen, but it would be very rare.
Old July 22, 2002, 16:51   #9
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
Just using player settings and your own actions, there are a couple of things you need to do to create AI civs that:
1) Have the resources to be meaningfully aggressive
2) and actually are

First, player settings:

* The AI civs need the time to build up their own cities, infrastructure, economy, etc. The "standard" settings put civs too close to each other... try playing with 1-2 civs fewer than allowed for a given map size. Also, tend toward using the 60% water settings (far right for each of the types).

* World age of 3B creates imbalances in terms of resource distribution. This will do two things: a) Some AI civs will be winners, and thus grow that much more effectively, and b) in a reinforcement cycle, as the winner civs grow much more powerful, they will attack the losers.

Regarding you own actions, you have a chance to define the "environment" that the AI civs react to... in other words, a sprinkling of war here and there, even if you are a builder, will cause the AI civs to build military, and once they have done so, they will invariably use it.

Additionally, once things get going, you can use trade, gifts, trade embargoes, alliances, etc., to stir the pot.

Be warned, however, that this approach will sometimes generate "killer AI civs," and at some point they might put YOU on the hit list!
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old July 22, 2002, 18:36   #10
zulu9812
King

Local Time: 04:45
You can also set what type of units each civ builds in Rules > Civilizations. There is a Build Never and a Build Often column. You could set all civs to Build Often for Offensive units. Thta'll make those civs more aggressive, since the AI uses Offense-flagged units for offensive strategies, and Defense-flagged units for city defense. So if a civ is mainly building offensively-flagged units, that civ will engage in offensive actions more often!
I think holding hands can be more erotic than 'slamming it in the ass' - Pekka, thinking that he's messed up