Old July 24, 2002, 17:53   #31
The_Hawk
Chieftain

Local Time: 23:46
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Maybe its just Rome or bad luck. My experiment with China yielded 4 GLs (Army, AoW, FP, GL). Not having the same GL success with Rome. Oh well....
Old July 26, 2002, 02:45   #32
Barchan
Warlord

Local Time: 04:46
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Arrian
Anyway, my point is that I don't think any changes were made to leader generation.
Hmm. Perhaps a run of bad luck on my part then, but I've nearly eliminated every city on the planet (Persians down to two!) and still no GL. Elites abound and are always in the fray, but still nothing. So much for the mighty Shaka's inspirational leadership!

Not entirely on-topic, but since I mentioned the Zulus...I always thought (but never really tested, since I hadn't playe the Zulus before) that Impi were in the Spearman upgrade chain and could upgrade to Pikemen when the time came. However, in my game they won't upgrade. Is this a 1.29f change or were they never upgradeable?
Old July 26, 2002, 03:49   #33
sabrewolf
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization IV CreatorsC3CDG Desolation RowCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 06:46
Quote:
Originally posted by Barchan
Hmm. Perhaps a run of bad luck on my part then, but I've nearly eliminated every city on the planet (Persians down to two!) and still no GL. Elites abound and are always in the fray, but still nothing. So much for the mighty Shaka's inspirational leadership!
bad luck with GLs, but aparently you didn't need them if you're dominant ... how about next difficulty level or are you already on deity?

Quote:
Not entirely on-topic, but since I mentioned the Zulus...I always thought (but never really tested, since I hadn't playe the Zulus before) that Impi were in the Spearman upgrade chain and could upgrade to Pikemen when the time came. However, in my game they won't upgrade. Is this a 1.29f change or were they never upgradeable?
acording to civ3data (downloadable in files section) impi upgrades to musketman. probably 1|2|2 is considered better than pikeman 1|3|1...
Old July 26, 2002, 09:24   #34
Barchan
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by sabrewolf
how about next difficulty level or are you already on deity?
No this game isn't deity; I was playing on regent and wanted to give the Zulus a spin. Deity's hard work, man, I was just playing for fun!

Quote:
Originally posted by sabrewolf
acording to civ3data (downloadable in files section) impi upgrades to musketman. probably 1|2|2 is considered better than pikeman 1|3|1...
Now that you mention it, that does ring a distant bell. I haven't gotten to gunpowder yet, so that's probably it. Thanks!
Old July 26, 2002, 13:56   #35
gumbytech
Settler

What do you mean about #2..3 for key techs? Can you use a leader to generate a tech? How? Or did you mean something else?
Quote:
Originally posted by planetfall

You only need to generate 1-3 leaders.

#1-- to build army
1.1 Use army to win one battle, make it an easy one.
1.2 Use win to build heroic epic
1.3 Use win to build military academy

#2..3-- for key techs.

If you get more than 3 leaders, you have a bonus game. Remember you can only have one leader active in the game at a time.

good luck, let us know how it goes.

--PF
Old July 26, 2002, 17:13   #36
planetfall
Prince

Local Time: 21:46
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by gumbytech
What do you mean about #2..3 for key techs? Can you use a leader to generate a tech? How? Or did you mean something else?
Actually meant GW, sorry, can't use to hurry techs. darn.

If a republic or democracy, you need Univ.Suff.

Also recommend Smiths so you have more for military.

My most important techs change with my game experience. I used to think Pyramids were important as well as Sun Tzu. I don't even try for those GW.