View Poll Results: Which Units do you favor for Ancient Era Conquest?
Archer. I like to Rush like mad after I get just a couple of cities up and running. 3 7.50%
Horsemen Only 7 17.50%
Swordmen Only 9 22.50%
Horsemen and Swordsmen both 16 40.00%
I never Fight. I wouldn't dream of hurting anyone. I am a pacifist. 5 12.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 22, 2002, 22:33   #1
Artifex
Prince

Local Time: 04:48
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Which Units do you favor for Ancient Era Conquest?
Which Units do you favor for Ancient Era Conquest? (Ofcourse when not playing a civ with a dominating ancient era UU where the choice is obvious. Namely Rome, Iroquois, Persia, etc.)
Old July 22, 2002, 23:27   #2
DrFell
Civilization II Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 05:48
I prefer horsemen, but swordsmen will do too if I have no horses. Horsemen from my experience tend to suffer fewer casualties overall assuming they're veteran.

There are some exceptions to the rule though. If you're up against the Zulus of course the choice is obvious, and in mountainous terrain swordsmen may have some advantage due to their resistance to counterattacks.
Old July 23, 2002, 01:08   #3
YC4B4U
Warlord

Local Time: 14:18
A bit of both and some others to fill in the gaps...

Swords for pounding
Horses for flexibility (in case something unexpected happens); and
Warriors / Spearman to garrison new cities or protect the supply line.
Old July 23, 2002, 01:10   #4
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

Local Time: 00:48
It's all about the Immortals my friend, it's all about the Immortals.
Old July 23, 2002, 01:32   #5
vondrack
lifer
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEMPtWDG Legoland
Emperor

I usually employ more of swordsmen, with horsemen used mostly to finish wounded enemy units off. And to be exact, several spearmen usually take part in my offensives, protecting the attacking units from counterattacks.
Old July 23, 2002, 03:28   #6
The Pioneer
Prince

I have never tried an ancient era conquest. I usually take my time developing my cities and I peacefully expand as much as possible, I only fight a war when I have to but then I have a good reason to wipe them out .
Old July 23, 2002, 09:20   #7
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
You left out Warriors!!
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old July 23, 2002, 09:31   #8
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

@ Theseus. The "inner bastard" talking again?

I used to be an all-horsemen guy. Then I started mixing in some swordsmen. I voted horse/sword mix. But lately I've also been using warriors and archers as well.

Basically, if I see that I have a military advantage, I'll probably use it.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old July 23, 2002, 09:41   #9
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

I won't vote in your poll, that would be wrong, because I use all of them. I begin with waves of spearman protected archers and after I have the appropriate advance and hooked up resources, I mix in Horsemen and Swordsmen. It depends on the terrain, which I prefer of those. If mountains, forest or jungle, I prefer swordsmen, if open terrain like grassland, plains, tundra or desert, it's horsemen.
Old July 23, 2002, 12:03   #10
Andemagne
Civilization II MultiplayerNationStatesCivilization II Succession GamesACDG3 Spartans
King

Local Time: 06:48
Swordmen to have and Hoplites to hold.
Old July 23, 2002, 13:15   #11
Lord Merciless
Warlord

Local Time: 21:48
Local Date: October 31, 2010
If I have neighbors nearby, I get 4 cities built and start Archer rush. If play Aztecs, I will rush with Jaguar Warriors. If I play Babylonians, then with Bowman.

Usually the Archer rush will beat up one neighbor and may generate a leader. As next I would build an Army of Swordsman and screw more AI civs over.

In late Ancient and early Feudal, the Swordsman/Horseman combo rush is definitely the best. If you are playing any of the following Civs, this combo has even greater potentials:
Romans(Legionary),
Persians(Immortals),
Iroquois(Mounted Warrior),
Chinese(Horsemen -> Rider upgrade),
Japanese(Horsemen -> Samurai upgrade).
Old July 23, 2002, 13:30   #12
wervdon
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Prince

Local Time: 22:48
I almost always go pure swordsman followed up by spearman to hold the cities (the assault is all swordsman though)

If I lack iron ill go horseman or archer though until I take my iron

Horseman does have one advantage in that they are in the upgrade line to calvary, and thats ussually when I take my continent.

Anyways its ussually:
archers if needed to take resources (iron & horses)
swordsman to take out 1 or 2 ai neihbors
calvary backed with cannons to finish my continent
tanks backed by aircraft to take the rest.

If I lack saltpeter for calvary and cannons, I trade for it more often than not.

Anyways, thats more than you asked, but its more or less my whole game plan if Im going conquest and not space victory, and even if I am going space its ussually how I go up until the tank part anyways :P
Old July 23, 2002, 13:32   #13
Cookie Monster
King

Local Time: 23:48
Just my 2 cents:

I usually strive for Sir Ralph's archer rush strategy but voted for swordsmen. More often than not I am unable to set up the archer rush in time before discovering iron.
Old July 23, 2002, 19:13   #14
foo12
Settler

Local Time: 21:48
Ancient Era Conquest? Meh. Ancient Era Attrition? Hoplites, all the way.
Old July 23, 2002, 19:24   #15
N. Machiavelli
Prince

Legions form the back-bone of my offensive armies until the middle-ages. A large group of them, a couple horsemen, and a few catapults deployed properly will destroy armies several times their number and have a great chance at cnquering anything even the Diety-AI can build.
Old July 23, 2002, 20:11   #16
Thrawn05
King

I play defensivly until the late industrial age, only because I'm a big builder and stuck in my ways. I will go on the offensive if I need to, usaly with my Legionaries, since they can hold ground pretty good with the extra defense.
Old July 23, 2002, 22:45   #17
Panzer Elite
Settler

Local Time: 22:48
I use both Swordsmen and Horsemen I make alot more Swordsmen though.
Old July 23, 2002, 23:22   #18
Dom Pedro II
King

I am like Thrawn in that I am a builder... well, that's partly it. The other thing is that I feel like being an Ancient warmonger is like being a professional gambler. It can pay off sometimes if you're lucky, but I wouldn't base my livelihood on it... I feel that railroads, blitzkrieg, and my beloved bombers are the only way to go for a war.

On the other hand, since I am a builder, if I get crammed on a tiny continent with another civilization, I feel the best thing to do is continue building on the ruins of their cities. Hey, its better that one of us should go on to be prosperous than have us stifle each other's growth, no? Survival of the fittest..

In those cases, I have to say that a Swordsmen are the key to an effective offensive. Horsemen are my economic weapon. Economic in the sense that they are useful for destroying iron and horse resources. They can be useful in cleaning up border-crossing warriors or archers, or pushing over that enemy Spearmen in a city down to his last hitpoint or two... In frontline combat, I never find them particularly useful, especially against fortified cities.

I almost never use archers, and the only time I would is if I had no iron. I doubt there's enough time to build an army of archers and move them to an enemy's territory before they have Spearmen.

And warriors... I keep them in their cities, and the only time they see action is either when some sneaky archer gets around into my heartland, or if they are standing on the bodies of my Spearmen as the enemy launches their final wave of swordsmen

I truly believe that America is the world's second chance. I only hope we get a third...
Old July 23, 2002, 23:57   #19
The_Hawk
Chieftain

I've started to experiment with some new Civs. I usually play Egypt and France, but i've recently tried Rome and Persia. WOW!!! The Roman Legionary is great in the ancient era. Its an upgrade on the Swordsman and can double as a Pikeman and Swordsman. Its slower than I'm used to, since I usually have War Charriotts, but more powerful as well. They don't upgrade, which sucks, but they rock..... slowly. Immortals are a notch above as well. They're like slow moving knights! And getting them when the AI still mostly has spearman is almost...... too powerful.

But if we're talking non-AI, I like to push ahead swiftly from one front with my fastest units (starting with Horsemen, then Knights, then Cavalry) and use Swordsmen in combo with Catapults in a more deliberate, larger stack. I must say that although slower, swordsmen are pretty cool, especially against Spearman, with that extra attack point. But the Horseman's retreat ability and capability of traversing Mountain tiles is cool.

As for Warriors, I build them only as scouts and once they've done their duty, I garrison my elite Warriors in a city until I can upgrade them, or disband them for their shields.
Old July 24, 2002, 00:03   #20
Dom Pedro II
King

If you're on the other end of the Immortals, they are definitely too powerful. I was playing as the Babylonians once, and I was stuck on an island with the Persians... whew! Well, needless to say, I hit them before Iron Working. I got a city and destroyed another, but when I saw that first guy with a sword rear his ugly head from the depths of their empire, I said "Hold it!" and made peace. The next war, a few turns later, when they had a whole army of Immortals, well, that was quite an uphill battle. The only thing that really worked there was attacking the Immortals before they could attack me. Hitting an Immortal first puts you on somewhat of level ground again.

I truly believe that America is the world's second chance. I only hope we get a third...