Old July 23, 2002, 01:22   #1
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

Local Time: 00:49
Local Date: November 1, 2010
United States Civil War Scenario Complete
You can find it here: http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=56094

Enjoy.

Last edited by Jon Shafer; July 23, 2002 at 14:14.
Old July 23, 2002, 02:47   #2
NeoStar
Warlord

Local Time: 14:49
From what I've read it sounds like it's been one hell of a project.

Hats off to you, mate

BTW, I was sort of suprised you (with the German flag) was making something on America instead of Europe, then you said your from Colorado. How would you know all the states/cities otherwise!
"Show me a man or a woman alone and I'll show you a saint. Give me two and they'll fall in love. Give me three and they'll invent the charming thing we call 'society'. Give me four and they'll build a pyramid. Give me five and they'll make one an outcast. Give me six and they'll reinvent prejudice. Give me seven and in seven years they'll reinvent warfare. Man may have been made in the image of God, but human society was made in the image of His opposite number, and is always trying to get back home." - Glen Bateman, The Stand (Stephen King)

Last edited by NeoStar; July 23, 2002 at 03:00.
Old July 23, 2002, 03:08   #3
The Pioneer
Prince

Local Time: 05:49
I just dnloaded the file and run the game. I cannot actually play it, being at work and all but I loaded it just to check it out. I chose the union and when the pop up text appeared which informed me of date and my techs I clicked at Uber Tech and got th efollowing msg:

Load Error

Error Reading File

Missing Entry in "text\PediaIcons.txt":_Large?!

I loaded again and bypassed the pop up text I landed in the game that looks quite awesome. The rest seem to be functioning ok, although as I said before I am at work and I cannot really play test the thing.
Old July 23, 2002, 03:11   #4
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta

Quote:
Originally posted by NeoStar
From what I've read it sounds like it's been one hell of a project.

Hats off to you, mate

BTW, I was sort of suprised you (with the German flag) was making something on America instead of Europe, then you said your from Colorado. How would you know all the states/cities otherwise!
Hehe, yeah, I'm from Colorado, just a fan of Germany.
And thanks for the kind words. I have spent about 30 or 40 labor hours working on the thing, and it's taken forever (I'm glad to have it finished ).

Pioneer, I think i said in the thread where you download the file that if you try to use the civilopedia on the techs or units the game will crash. So far I have no entries for units or techs yet, that's for another patch.

Other than that, everything ought to be working fine.
Old July 23, 2002, 03:30   #5
The Pioneer
Prince

Local Time: 05:49
hehehe goes to show you that I should read the posts thoroughly before I dnload but then I wanted to see this scenario since the day you announced it.

So long...
Old July 23, 2002, 03:36   #6
Jon Shafer

Quote:
Originally posted by The Pioneer
hehehe goes to show you that I should read the posts thoroughly before I dnload but then I wanted to see this scenario since the day you announced it.

So long...
Quite alright.
We all have to learn by trial and error sometimes (like me with all of Civ 2 and Civ 3 ). The worst that can happen is that the game crashes, so don't worry about it. When you get the chance though, read my scenario description in the first post and the readme.txt file I have with the download. It contains some very useful information.

As always, thanks for the interest.
Old July 23, 2002, 03:37   #7
NeoStar
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Trip
I have spent about 30 or 40 labor hours working on the thing, and it's taken forever (I'm glad to have it finished ).
Just downloaded it and...That is awesome! Hey, Firaxis - hire this bloke to make a scenario XP! (Psst-he lives in Colorado!)

On to Napoleon next,eh? Take a break first, you'll kill yourself!

The dawn of historical scenarios Now eight months later every cent of our 100 Australian dollars seems well spent! Hail the fella with the sleeping anime character below his name
"Show me a man or a woman alone and I'll show you a saint. Give me two and they'll fall in love. Give me three and they'll invent the charming thing we call 'society'. Give me four and they'll build a pyramid. Give me five and they'll make one an outcast. Give me six and they'll reinvent prejudice. Give me seven and in seven years they'll reinvent warfare. Man may have been made in the image of God, but human society was made in the image of His opposite number, and is always trying to get back home." - Glen Bateman, The Stand (Stephen King)
Old July 23, 2002, 03:53   #8
Jon Shafer

You're being too nice.
You're supposed to tell me how much you hate the thing so I'll go cry in my closet and come up with a million new and better ideas for the next one.

But I'm really appreciative that you like it so much. Hopefully you get more enjoyment out of playing it than I did out of making it!
Old July 23, 2002, 07:02   #9
NeoStar
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Trip
Hopefully you get more enjoyment out of playing it than I did out of making it!
Surprised you say that really, the editor additions are nice but the interface is slow...

Its still great I'm getting a real challange with the Confeds. so far (not that I like them). Maybe you should have replaced that distorted cartoon Lincoln with a artwork too-hard to take that goofball animation seroiusly

Comments-I like the grand scale as this thing will take a while to finish. You could easily make a quick action one too if you only place the cities on your 'objectives map' down and restrict settlers.

Should leave this project open for a while, if PTW has any events scripting you'd have room to add a feast of them here. I say again, good work Trip-next time I play Im getting to those 'skirmishers'!
Old July 23, 2002, 09:45   #10
Steve Clark
King

Local Time: 22:49
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I applaud Trip's work (can't say too many bad things about a fellow Coloradoan) but for those thinking that this is a historical Civil War scenario, it is not, by his own admission and others as well. We cannot make historical scenarios (because there are crucial editing features missing). So what you get is a custom map with city locations. Once you start playing though, don't expect it to play out anything resembling the American Civil War. On the other hand, I'd be curious to read any AAR.
Old July 23, 2002, 15:30   #11
Palleon
Warlord

I've played a bit on this, and I have to say, very well done. The map is excellent, city placement is really good, I just have a few beefs with it I thought I'd say, but don't get me wrong, I love it, just a few things I myself would change.

1) The United States, was, is, and for the time being, will be a Republic, not a democracy. But given the crippling amount of corruption I'm getting as the Union under democracy, this isn't that big of a deal.

2) Corruption - I mentioned this above, but the Union is so big that corruption is pretty nasty in most cities, but again, this might have been something that you did on purpose, so not a big deal.

3) The police station icon is the one for a nuclear power plant, I don't know if this was intentional?

Other than that, fantastic job!
Old July 23, 2002, 16:11   #12
Jon Shafer

Glad you like it.

I basically made everything closer to Republic, while keeping the name "Democracy", just for asthetics.

As far as the icons, people have been telling me there's been some weird stuff going on from Hospital to Wealth to who knows what. I'll look into it for the next version.
Old July 23, 2002, 16:21   #13
Palleon
Warlord

Also, is war weariness reduced at all? I've been playing for about 10 turns now, and I just started a revolution because the people are complaining. So I'm gonna have to go to communism or something as the Union in the Civil war If I could make anouther suggestion, I'd reduce or remove WW, because people were pretty passionate about this war, and they wouldn't be this whiney this early into it.

Edit - I now see that there is no WW. Whoops, I guess they're unhappy about something else.
Old July 23, 2002, 16:36   #14
Jon Shafer

Quote:
Originally posted by Palleon
Also, is war weariness reduced at all? I've been playing for about 10 turns now, and I just started a revolution because the people are complaining. So I'm gonna have to go to communism or something as the Union in the Civil war If I could make anouther suggestion, I'd reduce or remove WW, because people were pretty passionate about this war, and they wouldn't be this whiney this early into it.

Edit - I now see that there is no WW. Whoops, I guess they're unhappy about something else.
Yep.

After a long period of beta-testing, I found that after 10 turns with max war-weariness, the scenario was impossible to play. Nearly the same thing happened with low war-weariness, so I got rid of it altogether. If there was better control over it, then I would work with it more, but unfortuantely, there's not much I can do in that department.
Old July 23, 2002, 16:59   #15
Palleon
Warlord

As a side note, I'm happy to see my hometown of Kankakee IL in there Even though crippling corruption prevents it from building anything in the next 200 turns

Edit - Is the communications hub already placed on both sides, or do you build it later? I can't seem to find it looking through the editor.
Old July 23, 2002, 17:42   #16
whosurdaddy
Warlord

Local Time: 23:49
Sorry to be picky, but the city you have named Manhattan is actually on the island of Long island. Manhattan is actually a part of New York City
Old July 23, 2002, 18:26   #17
Jon Shafer

Quote:
Originally posted by Palleon
Is the communications hub already placed on both sides, or do you build it later? I can't seem to find it looking through the editor.
The Union Communications Hub (AKA Forbidden Palace) is in Lexington, Kentucky. The Confederate one is in Atlanta, Georgia.

Whosurdaddy, I thought that looked kind of funny... that must have been at the end of one of my 8-hour map-making sessions.
Old July 23, 2002, 18:51   #18
Jon Shafer

Update:
The problem of the massive money shortage has been fixed. You will now make more cash.