Old July 29, 2002, 21:03   #31
ACooper
Prince

Local Time: 22:50
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Coracle
blah...blah...blah

And I did not get $50 worth of fun out of Civ 3. On the contrary. But I got several hundred dollars worth of fun out of Civ 2.
If you had it since December and played it more than 10 hours ($5 per hour) then you have to had more than $50 worth of fun. Just think of all the fun you've had here at Apolyton just complaining about it. That surely must be worth it.
Old July 29, 2002, 22:26   #32
MOHonor
Chieftain

Local Time: 04:50
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Coracle
Two other things re: PTW.

Conquistadors are a very POOR choice for a Spanish UU as they were never a military unit, just a small bunch of thugs murdering natives peoples and then each other.
It should have been the Tercio. But Firaxis cares about marketing, not history.
http://www.geocities.com/ao1617/TercioUK.html

There can be no such thing as an "historic scenario" with Culture Flipping and razing in the game. Just try it for, say, a World War Two scenario. . . with much of your armor vanishing in a flip.

So Firaxis either fixes these, and other problems, or no sale.

And I did not get $50 worth of fun out of Civ 3. On the contrary. But I got several hundred dollars worth of fun out of Civ 2.
n00bie @1ert! For first time Apolyton visitors only:

coracle doesn't like Civ3. His mission in life is to let you know that. He gets banned every other week but doesn't seem to grasp that being a jerkoff isn't an effective communication technique. Many find this an appropriate time to learn about the Apolyton Ignore Feature. Simply click in the little profile filecard above one of his or jimmytrick's posts then click "add 'spammer's name' to my ignore list". I'd like to personally thank the sponsors of this fine website for making it so easy to gag spammers.

Thanks for listening.

Last edited by MOHonor; July 30, 2002 at 00:50.
Old July 29, 2002, 23:43   #33
ixnay
Civilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Lux InvictaPtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations Team
Emperor

So now Coracle is going off about Conquistadors in every thread in addition to culture flipping? Oh, joy...
Old July 29, 2002, 23:53   #34
JtheJackal
Warlord

Local Time: 23:50
Every single game, no matter how good has not just a critic, but a annoying one whose mission is to destroy the game.
Old July 30, 2002, 00:25   #35
Dimorier Maximus
Warlord

Conquistadors were actually real Spanish explorers that conquered vast measures of land for Spain in the America's through the spreading of European diseases and warfare. I think they are a rather worthy unit. As for culture flipping, it isn't realistic in all instances, but it makes sense when you take a city that is largely of another culture for them to want to flip back.
Old July 30, 2002, 16:14   #36
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

Gee... coracle makes another post about culture flipping... what a surprise...

Your "one trick pony act" is getting a little boring...

But anyway... let's stay on topic here. Enough of all this garbage.
Old July 30, 2002, 17:25   #37
sabrewolf
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization IV CreatorsC3CDG Desolation RowCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 06:50
Re: I have a bad feeling I'm going to be duped into buying this
Quote:
Originally posted by Sava
#2 Civil War

It was one of the best parts of Civ 1. Capture a capital city, and BLAAOUWW two civs... This was a great feature, and Firaxis, partly Microprose's fault for not putting it in Civ 2, didn't include it in Civ 3. IMO, they should have expanded the idea so that if there is a civil war, say you capture Babylon, the Babylonians split into two Babylonian Civs. That would add a new dimension to the game. And I believe something close to 90 percent of Apolytoners voted for Civil Wars in another thread.
nice idea, works against AI, but not in multiplayer... or do you expect a 17th player to get one half of the weakened civ?

btw: love your lexa avatar
Old July 30, 2002, 20:20   #38
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 21:50
I'm with Sava on this one. I will probably end up buying PtW after reading all the reviews and sorting through the posts here at poly. I figure I'm still going to be somewhat disappointed with Civ3 but maybe B*tching about it while playing Civ3 MP will make me feel better.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old July 31, 2002, 16:24   #39
Cookie Monster
King

Hmmmmmmm............civilization. <* wipes drool from chin *>

Maybe I can convince wife to buy as early Christmas present.......hmmmmmmmmmm.

Maybe I tell her, "Give me 29.99 gpt and PTW and I won't invade"

Old August 1, 2002, 04:44   #40
Coracle
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Ming
Gee... coracle makes another post about culture flipping... what a surprise...

Your "one trick pony act" is getting a little boring...

But anyway... let's stay on topic here. Enough of all this garbage.
Not relevant?? The thread is about being "duped" into buying (or not) PTW.

If they don't give us some CF options for PTW I won't be duped; I'll wait to get it on E-Bay for ten bucks, which may not be a long wait.

"One trick pony"?? If Firaxis finally fixed this, or gave us some options as they did with AI trade and corruption, there would be NO NEED to bring it up at all; CF will be especially absurd with historical scenarios.

Meanwhile, I can talk about AI cheating, no MP, historical innacuracies, poor naval warfare, lack of AI use of artillery in offensives; etc. There are quite a few "ponies" to be resolved before I plunk down more $$ for PTW. Hell, for all we know it is another beta. I'll wait for the reviews on the forums.. . we shall see.
Old August 1, 2002, 08:35   #41
Q Classic
Emperor

dude, chill. seems like you're the only one with your knickers all in a tizzy over this culture flipping thing. even if most other people don't like it altogether too much, you seem to grow livid at the mere thought of it.

the point has been made. everybody knows just how much you despise it. ok?

besides, everybody else also knows that this game is far from perfect.
Old August 1, 2002, 10:57   #42
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

I will only consider myself "duped" if the MP function doesn't work properly and/or is so buggy it will cause the various people you're playing with to crash or get cut off from the game.

If THAT does happen, I'm going to be real close to joining Coracle in the anti-Firaxis camp and hoping Infogrames finds someone else to do Civ4.
Old August 1, 2002, 12:02   #43
Q Classic
Emperor

If THAT does happen, I'm going to really hope that Firaxis finds some other publisher for Civ4.
Old August 1, 2002, 12:23   #44
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Hear that, Firaxis! That's two of us that want a usable MP and not some partially programed attempt that only works for 3 turns or we're never buying your Civ crap again!

(Gosh, I hope they don't try to call my bluff on that one )
Old August 2, 2002, 13:32   #45
rob.derosa
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by Q Cubed

but ptw will have to compete with kingdom hearts, ut2k3, and the next generation nvidia card....
Completley OT:

I think the new Nvidia card has been put back till after December because they have no working prototype, they have still to iron out some bugs.

However I do not care I'm gonna get a new ATI 9700 128 MB card , i'm an ATI guy!

But the new Nvidia card does look lush
Old August 2, 2002, 15:09   #46
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 21:50
Quote:
Originally posted by GhengisFarb
I will only consider myself "duped" if the MP function doesn't work properly and/or is so buggy it will cause the various people you're playing with to crash or get cut off from the game.

If THAT does happen, I'm going to be real close to joining Coracle in the anti-Firaxis camp and hoping Infogrames finds someone else to do Civ4.
I agree. PtW better have a well thought out and fully functional MP! I like Civ3 but the original release version was in sorry shape and I truly hope Firaxis has enough sense to do better this time. The question is will they?
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.