Old July 23, 2002, 08:45   #1
Deathwalker
Prince

Local Time: 04:50
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Dumb AI
I recentley was playing a game and I went to war with Russia and with France as my allie. Anyway I liberated a French city that the Russians got. So I thought I would give it back to the French. I called them up and asked what they woud give for it. It was pritty big size 6 with a few improvments and the dumb AI would not give one thing I even asked for 1 gold and got told that was two much.
Does the AI have any idea how much cities are worth or what
Old July 23, 2002, 10:50   #2
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 21:50
Local Date: October 31, 2010
If they have no gold, they won't pay it.
If they have no positive cash flow, they won't pay GPT.

They will NOT consider changing their financial planning around your offer. If you have no gold, they will refuse your offer of gold. If you have 'X' gold income per turn, they will not accept an offfer of 'X+1' gold per turn from you. (They have that little intelligence advantage, though they are not intelligent).

If you just neglected to mention that they had the gold, then they just dislike/distrust you that much.

Was this 1.29?
I play BtS (3.19) -- Noble or Prince, Rome, marathon speed, huge hemispheres (2 of them), aggressive AI, no tech brokering. I enjoy the Hephmod Beyond mod. For all non-civ computer uses, including internet, I use a Mac.
Old July 23, 2002, 11:13   #3
Aeson
Emperor

Local Time: 22:50
The AI won't buy or trade cities in any case. It leads to too many possible exploits. The only way to give cities is to give them as a gift. The only way to get them in negotiations is for peace treaties, where you offer nothing on your side of the deal.
Old July 23, 2002, 12:24   #4
Zizka
Chieftain

Local Time: 23:50
Would it be too much to ask for the AI script to be modified so that the AI does trade FOR a city (for gold or advances) if that city was 1) adjacent to empire 2) contained fellow citizens (french in the example) or perhaps even if it contained a wonder. I dont mean exchange (the AI if SMAC would trade good cities for bad) or trade one of ITS cities for gold or advances, but if a city was offred for gold/trade/resources and it met the criteria above; id say go for it.

Z
Old July 28, 2002, 07:39   #5
Executor
Warlord

Location: of Terra Prime, homeworld of the Terran Star Empire
When you buy a city, two veteran units (the best defenders you have the techs for) should come free with it. That way you couldn't quickly recapture it.

Btw, the only time a civ will trade cities is when you've conquered half their empire already and are now signing the Treaty of Versailles.
Old July 28, 2002, 08:12   #6
NeoStar
Warlord

Local Time: 14:50
Quote:
Originally posted by Zizka
Would it be too much to ask for the AI script to be modified so that the AI does trade FOR a city (for gold or advances) if that city was 1) adjacent to empire 2) contained fellow citizens (french in the example) or perhaps even if it contained a wonder. I dont mean exchange (the AI if SMAC would trade good cities for bad) or trade one of ITS cities for gold or advances, but if a city was offred for gold/trade/resources and it met the criteria above; id say go for it.
Apparantly, yes.

In a game like civ, considering a city's placement and culture and units and wonders and surrounding terrain and proximity to an enemy and so on and so on...

Changing that to a price could get complicated.
"Show me a man or a woman alone and I'll show you a saint. Give me two and they'll fall in love. Give me three and they'll invent the charming thing we call 'society'. Give me four and they'll build a pyramid. Give me five and they'll make one an outcast. Give me six and they'll reinvent prejudice. Give me seven and in seven years they'll reinvent warfare. Man may have been made in the image of God, but human society was made in the image of His opposite number, and is always trying to get back home." - Glen Bateman, The Stand (Stephen King)
Old July 28, 2002, 10:22   #7
Zachriel
King

Local Time: 00:50
Quote:
Originally posted by Executor
When you buy a city, two veteran units (the best defenders you have the techs for) should come free with it. That way you couldn't quickly recapture it.
That would lead to exploits in MP (Multi-Player) games. Two players would trade off cities to gain military units. You give me your city. I move out the free units. I give the city back to you. You move out your free units. You give me your city. . . .
Old July 28, 2002, 12:08   #8
Chronus
Prince

Local Time: 04:50
Quote:
You give me your city. I move out the free units. I give the city back to you. You move out your free units. You give me your city. . . .
Nice catch!

Or perhaps I'm just slow on the draw . . .
Old July 28, 2002, 12:52   #9
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

the AI is too stupid to adequately asses the "value" of a city. plain and simple.
Old July 28, 2002, 16:55   #10
Lord Merciless
Warlord

Local Time: 21:50
Firaxis tried to implement city swaps in SMAC, but the AI was hopelessly exploited there.

This time they categorically nipped the idea.