View Poll Results: Who should be our next Minister of Science?
skywalker (IND) 11 20.37%
Jonny (DIA) 7 12.96%
trickey (DIA) 5 9.26%
Apocalypse (IND) 31 57.41%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 23, 2002, 10:26   #1
Timeline
King

Local Time: 23:50
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Election: Minister of Science
This is the official election for our (new) Minister of Science.

As some of you may know, our Science Minister, civman2000 is taking a leave of absence starting on the 28th of this month. He is stepping down on this date to turn the office over to someone who can continue his fine work.

Query:
Who should be our next Minister of Science?

Candidates:
skywalker (IND)
Jonny (DIA)
trickey (DIA)
Apocalypse (IND)

Ends:

5 days, July 28, 10:30am Est.
Old July 23, 2002, 10:33   #2
GodKing
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC3CDG The Lost BoysCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Local Time: 00:50
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Cool. First vote. Good luck one and all. I think any of you would make exelent science ministers.

As long as I could figure a way to hump myself, I would be OK with that
--Con
Old July 23, 2002, 11:03   #3
Aro
lifer
PtWDG Glory of WarC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering StormCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 01:50
I'm waiting for some campaign, here. I need to know what the candidates are proposing.
Or there’s another thread for this?
Old July 23, 2002, 11:07   #4
jdd2007
NationStates
King

i think apocalpyse is the best candidate, honestly. johnny is a close second...
Old July 23, 2002, 11:17   #5
Apocalypse
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMMacInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization II MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

My platform...

Like I mentioned in previous campaigns, I'm independent. The works out well for our civilization because it of course insures that I will never put party interest ahead of what is best for our civilization. Like I have mentioned before, I have a good relationship will the ministers. I will consult them about what techs they feel they need. I will work with them to decide on what tech is best for the civilization as a whole. I will write reports on the various techs we can choose and how each will help our nation and then post them. I will then use the input of the various citizens to see how they feel about the thought process. Our choices in technology can easily make or break the game. Our choices are also one of the aspects of this game that we can prepare best for.
"In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd
Old July 23, 2002, 12:14   #6
Aro
lifer
PtWDG Glory of WarC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering StormCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Apocalypse

...Our choices in technology can easily make or break the game. Our choices are also one of the aspects of this game that we can prepare best for.
This expresses my thought about research. BTW, I think you (or everyone elected for the job) will need to fight a lot for budget...
Old July 23, 2002, 13:12   #7
Timeline
King

Is there anyone here who supports cutting our science and just buying all our techs for a while?
Old July 23, 2002, 13:33   #8
Aro
lifer
Emperor

I support this by now, of course (I was reading something about the Imperial Guard in the Jungle Gazette… Just kidding! ), and we just don't have any other option. But, soon or later, we’ll need to engage ourselves in research.
But I never played before in this level, it's only an opinion.
Old July 23, 2002, 13:58   #9
Apocalypse
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMMacInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization II MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

I will support cutting the budget and buying techs as long as this doesn't prevent us from getting any vital technolgy. Since we are going to war, the money can be useful elsewhere. Also, since most of the building orders will be war related, or catching up on things that we didn't build because we were building units; it isn't like all our cities are looking for whole new things to build right now. Once we have more stable land holdings and we are more sure of winning wars, I will support a large research budget so we can pull away from our enemies.
"In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Last edited by Apocalypse; July 23, 2002 at 14:23.
Old July 23, 2002, 14:11   #10
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

apoc
Old July 23, 2002, 14:15   #11
Aro
lifer
Emperor

This is a clear statement. Have my vote.
Old July 23, 2002, 15:22   #12
Kuciwalker
Deity

I really think that I'm no better qualified than any of these candidates. However, I will be on more often and will participate more than any of the others.
Old July 23, 2002, 15:28   #13
Ninot
PtWDG RoleplayC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

two DIA running, and two IND running..

interesting, vewy intewesting.

My vote is still in the air, cuz they are all the same to me!
Old July 23, 2002, 15:41   #14
Apocalypse
Emperor

In reply to skywalker's comment, I assure you that I am focusing more time on this demo game compared to in the past. I have a lot less work I need to do now.
Old July 23, 2002, 16:42   #15
trickey
Civilization III Democracy GameNever Ending StoriesRise of Nations MultiplayerPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Prince

Friends,

I thank you in advance for your votes. I, honestly am probably not the best civ-player of the group, but i think i am the best listner. I will seriously consider all suggestions, questions, and comments. I have a good realtionship with the other ministers, and plan to work together with them to bring our nation to the top. I plan to make sure the people get what they want. I also promise, i will never, ever, put my party's interests in front of the interests of our nation. I see times of war in our future. We will need to have the most advanced soldiers, and training methodes in the world. The technologies i choose to reaserch, will be carefully considered, and then reconsidered. I will then consult my fellow ministers, and my fellow citizens before i mske the final descisions.

-----

- I plan to run our science program at no more then 20% of our funding, no less than 10% of our funding.

- I plan to reaserch Monarchy. this governement will give you, the people, more freedom while still allowing us to consuct war.

- When the middle ages are reached, i plan to mostly reasech the bottom of the tech tree first, hoping these advanccement will give us the edge on the battlefield.

- When our wars are over, i plan to turn my reasech to the top of the tree. Going for Democracy, giving the people the freedom they deserve.

Thank you for your time.
Old July 23, 2002, 17:51   #16
Robber Baron
Prince

Understand that when I say I'm voting for Apocalypse, I'm not voting for end of the world or anything like that...
Old July 23, 2002, 19:15   #17
Apocalypse
Emperor

I'd like to take the time now to say thanks to all those who have already voted for me.
Old July 23, 2002, 21:06   #18
civman2000
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesDiplomacyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 22:50
One problem: there will be no one there for the sunday turnchat. However, with our current science situation, we probably wont need one.

THis vote is tough. No offense skywalker, but I don't really think you'd be good at the job. Jonny might do OK, but I'm not sure. trickey is too inexperienced with demo games imho. By process of elimination, i choose apoc, because I can't think of anything bad about him.

"This should be the question they ask you before you get to vote. If you answer 'no', then they brand you with a giant red 'I' on your forehead and you are forever barred from taking part in the electoral process again."--KrazyHorse
"I'm so very glad KH is Canadian."--Donegeal
Old July 23, 2002, 21:46   #19
trickey
Civilization III Democracy GameNever Ending StoriesRise of Nations MultiplayerPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by civman2000
trickey is too inexperienced with demo games imho.

shhhhhhh!!! they might not know that

lol, its true though.
Old July 23, 2002, 22:36   #20
Jonny
Civilization III Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesGalCiv Apolyton EmpireC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG The Lost Boys

Here's why you should vote for me as your new Minister of Science:
  • I support 10% funding for science. No more, no less. This allows us to get some research done while still earning much gold.
  • Because our civ is preparing to go to war, I will support research of millitary technologies before the more peaceful ones.
  • I will almost always poll the people on what tech we should research next, unless there are time constraints or other things that would prevent me from doing a poll.
  • Although I am a member of the DIA, I promise to listen to all people equally and fairly. I promise to put my ministerial duties ahead of party politics.

That, in a nutshell, is why you should vote for me to be our new Minster of Science. Feel free to ask me questions.

I thank you in advance for your votes.
Old July 24, 2002, 04:10   #21
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Local Time: 05:50
Apocalypse is my favorite.

And since when runs skywalker independent? Not that I would give a damn on party membership, but he seems to flip to one or another side or bail out at will.
Old July 24, 2002, 04:14   #22
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

Quote:
Originally posted by trickey
shhhhhhh!!! they might not know that

lol, its true though.
Don't worry, just get yourself noticed by being active (and smart ) for a month, and you'll have a much better chance next time. That's how it works. Apoc has been around for a while, and nearly everyone trusts him and his judgement. They know he is experienced and knows what he's doing. He's been around so he can work within the system, which we can't be sure of from a newer candidate. Just don't go to your closet and cry yourself to sleep. Nothing bad ever comes from a defeat with honor if you come back next time and are successful.
Old July 24, 2002, 05:08   #23
Guardian
Apolyton University
King

Local Time: 06:50
Apocalypse made the best impression, so he gets my vote this time.

Use it wisely.
Old July 24, 2002, 07:59   #24
trickey
Prince

Lol, i dont care that i lost. I am extremely happy actually Someone besides myself voted for me

But ill be back..........
Old July 24, 2002, 19:50   #25
Sean
Prince

Local Time: 04:50
Hmmm, why on earth would the DIA stand two candidates for one position, effectively splitting their vote in half? This seems rather silly to me.

Sean.
DIA member.
Old July 24, 2002, 20:10   #26
GodKing
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC3CDG The Lost BoysCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

People don't care to much when voting about what party (in most instances). It just is an easy way for others to see what sort of a player the person is:

DIA - Focus more on building up the homeland
UFC - Focus more on the military aspects of the game
Ind - those (like myself) who don't care to be joined into any one philosophy, or many other reasons (too many to realy list....)

So vote your conscience, and who you think will be the best person for the job.

As long as I could figure a way to hump myself, I would be OK with that
--Con
Old July 24, 2002, 22:34   #27
Apocalypse
Emperor

A combined DIA vote would only currently tie one of them with skywalker. It really didn't matter in this election.
Old July 24, 2002, 23:13   #28
Apocalypse
Emperor

I just looked it up and this is the least viewed election for the second term. We are less than 40 views behind the City Planner election though.
Old July 26, 2002, 11:04   #29
DAVOUT
PtWDG RoleplayCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 05:50
As I understand it, the Minister of Science is in charge of the science, not of the research alone; his talent should be primarily directed to the order in which techs will be made available to Apolytonia, wether traded or discovered, and his competence to the timing of such availability.
Old July 26, 2002, 14:13   #30
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 06:50
Davout :
You're right, the science minister is responsible for science acquisition and selling, as well as research. However, a trade with the AI is led by the foreign minister, who must consult other ministers if the trade involves their fields (SMCs for maps and diplomatic agreements, Economics when gold / gods are thrown in, science minister when science is thrown in etc.)

I might be wrong, but I think the advice of the science advisor is required before we can sell a tech, unlike other ministers advice, which can not be followed by the FAM.