Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Local Time: 06:51
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by FrustratedPoet
Ever played Half-Life or CounterStrike? If you like FPS games then you'll enjoy those (Quake3 also of course).
Played both...HL sux (Both MP and SP), and CS got boring after short time, since everyone I know, only play certain maps...I remember back in the days, as I still had the game, whenever I found a new (And nice) map, I asked if they wanted to play this new map...Their response was always: "It's a map nobody plays, nobody knows about, therefor I will NOT play it"

And I really hate when everything is the same all the time

And btw, since SoF2 exists, there's no reason at all, to play CS, since SoF2 beats CS in everything...
Old August 2, 2002, 16:03   #32
FlameFlash
Call to Power PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMMacACDG PeaceCall To Power SuperLeagueACDG3 Data AngelsCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization II PBEMCivilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerC4BtSDG Team Banana
Emperor

Local Time: 22:51
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Always liked Chrono Cross myself... you've got to look at it more as a parellel game to Chrono Trigger rather than a sequal though. Especially since there aren't too many links.

SnowFire:

I do agree with the questy stuff mentioned now that I've started to replay it, however I'm not missing any of the plot, actually really enjoyed it (hobby of mine is trying to study Quantum Mechanics and everything that goes with it like that.)

Which main villian looked like an utter moron? I found the Salt n Pepper combo funny if that's what you're talking about.

It also helps a lot if you play through the FF Chronicles version of Chrono Trigger... not much, but a little. In the best ending it shows Lucca discovering probably one of the main CC characters and also giving her reason to start up an orphanage... add the fact that the other ending cineme talks about Guardia falling, etc. and they linked them as best they could.

But anyway... probably my must recommend would be a little known game called CyberDogs 1 & 2...

It's DOS (I think) but it's fun to play (though impossible to beat.) You run around as some kind of secret agent (two player possibilities with a split/merging screen) in an almost GTA overhead view (closer and better detail) and you arm yourself with different weapons and collect bounties to buy more weapons, etc.

Simple idea, but it's a fun time-killer.

As always, will play after work. I wonder if I'll ever be able to turn that the other way...
Old August 3, 2002, 07:06   #33
Phantom
Prince

Local Time: 04:51
my list of must play games:
fifa wm
warcraftIII
diabloII
Old August 3, 2002, 11:38   #34
Solver
lifer
Civilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueThe Courts of Candle'BreC4WDG Team Apolyton
Deity

Local Time: 07:51
List of must play games?

Civ.
Old August 3, 2002, 12:49   #35
Pavlov
Civilization II PBEM
Prince

Local Time: 05:51
Close Combat 5 (For the mp)
Rollercoaster Tycoon (For the vomits)

-Homer Simpson
Old August 5, 2002, 09:01   #36
Zkribbler
Deity

Local Time: 21:51
Yeah, if you manage to run across Thief1 and/or Thief2, they're definately worth whatever they're selling for! The company that made them has gone belly up, so they're really hard to find now. The good news is, the designers have migrated to another company (Ion Storm?) and are now working on Thief3.

Rollercoaster Tycoon is now out in a Gold Edition, which consists of the original plus both expansion packs. It's only about $25.
Old August 5, 2002, 09:35   #37
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Local Time: 06:51
Quote:
Originally posted by Zkribbler
Rollercoaster Tycoon is now out in a Gold Edition, which consists of the original plus both expansion packs. It's only about $25.
And RollerCoaster Tycoon is set to be released in a few months...
Old August 5, 2002, 14:06   #38
dunk
Prince

Local Time: 00:51
Quote:
Originally posted by Boris Godunov

Ultima II is fun as well, in a cheesy way.
So is I and III. But as far as must-play, 4-7.

Old August 5, 2002, 22:35   #39
Alinestra Covelia
ACDG The Human HiveRise of Nations Multiplayer
Queen

Darn it, ALL the Ultimas!

Deus Ex, as well as its stablemates System Shock II, and Thief/Thief II. I've played them all. Several times each.

Clive Barker's Undying, for a very good example of a horror genre FPS. (Note: do not play this game with a friend present. Play it in the dark with the music turned up high and watch yourself dissolve into a shivering wreck.)

Aliens vs Predator is great, but each species requires a different mindset to play. You may find yourself liking one species and hating all the single player missions of the others. The marine missions especially are very dramatic, not to mention extremely difficult (for me at any rate). I love aliens, but that might be more because of their prehensile tongues...

Half-Life is still a great example of how a generic shoot em up can be surprisingly gripping and convincing. All the alien enemies make sense, and there are some wonderfully plotted routines in the game.

And you owe it to yourself to get yourself a copy of Civ2. If you like that enough, get yourself a copy of SMAC/X and play the greatest TBS ever made!
Old August 5, 2002, 23:30   #40
SnowFire
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 23:51
Chrono Cross spoilers away! Read with caution!

Especially since there aren't too many links.

Yeah, CC is really more of a side story than anything else. I would have been fine with that, but the few links they did make screwed things up royally.

Which main villian looked like an utter moron? I found the Salt n Pepper combo funny if that's what you're talking about.

Nah, Solt & Peppor were comic relief. I'm talking about Lynx. Okay, so for whatever reason, the Fate room bonded with Serge's DNA, and only he can get back in and retrieve it. So Lynx/Wazuki/FATE goes to the Tower to use the crystal to steal Serge's body (I wish they explained why this is, or how he knew this, being that using the crystal is a one-way trip). Fine. So... why doesn't he immediately return to the Chronopolis in Serge's body & unseal the Frozen Flame? That was the whole point of stealing his body, right? And that's what FATE wanted, right? No, he hangs around the rest of Disc 1 tormenting Serge and eventually fighting him for his body again. And because of that, the real Serge gets to be the one who enters FATE/the Frozen Flame's inner sanctum! Oops! Guess he shouldn't have wasted his time, eh?

add the fact that the other ending cineme talks about Guardia falling, etc. and they linked them as best they could.

Yeah, that sucks. Can't the actions of Chrono Trigger meant anything? Why does Guardia have to fall so ridiculously fast to the tiny village of Porre?

And oh yes, has Porre noticed that none of the soldiers it sends to El Nido ever comes back, because of the tidal problem? As well as the FATE mind controlling everybody to never leave problem?

While we're at it, there's a lot of stuff that happens off-screen that's just disrespectful to Chrono Trigger. Why does Crono and Marle have to die so soon? There is absolutely no purpose for their death. They die offstage, with no notice or pomp at all. Why? Who knows, and apperantly the CC team doesn't care. I will at least grant that Lucca's death served some purpose. Although speaking of that orphanage thing, for all the fuss made over the Radical Dreamers, we never meet one other than Kid, and never hear anything more about them other than their existence, and they never seem to actually do anything. Huh?

Whlie we're at it, there's one fairly offensive line that mentions Schala being sucked up by Lavos with anger or rage or something in her heart. Come on, this is the one who was asking everybody to forgive her mother and her people. Not to mention that being that the main point of CC, aside from saving an imaginary island chain, is the redemption of Schala, not having Magus involved is a real crime. Then again, knowing how badly other CT characters came out, maybe we're the better for it.

Plus, there's a myriad of continuity plot holes. For instance, the split between dimensions went mostly unnoticed by people- nobody knew that in one dimension Serge died and in another he was alive, they just knew their current situation. So in other words, there's generally a double of most people in the other world (unless they died in the other world). So pray tell, how come all the dragons aren't doubled as well? But nope, they're split up between the worlds. Don't ask how they all come together again around the time of Terra Tower. That's just for starters.

Okay, innocent bystanders, you can now safely return to the thread.
Old August 6, 2002, 10:03   #41
FlameFlash
Call to Power PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMMacACDG PeaceCall To Power SuperLeagueACDG3 Data AngelsCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization II PBEMCivilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerC4BtSDG Team Banana
Emperor

*sighs*

Some people just take these games way too seriously...

As far as all of the other characters go, I've always thought we were looking at a completly new timeline thanks to the fact that the CT team beat Lavos and therefore created some kind of dimensional rift between the one where Chrono, Marle, and company would still be alive and kicking with their past of Lavos actually existing while in CC we're looking at a complete new branch of time/dimension that was allowed once Lavos wasn't a major controlling aspect of how the world was shaped... I mean, as far as odd stuff goes, the world map is different!

That alone tells me that we're in another dimension that's running next to Gauradia and the CT dimension.

But those are my thoughts on how the problem is fixed.

The dragons probably use Serge as a gate to link the two dimensions enough to create Terra Tower... I mean, in one dimension Serge is alive, in the other, he's not... that's about the only difference between the dimensions (major ones anyway) so the two dimensions all revolve around Serge.

As far as Lynx stealing the body and being stupid about it... he had to somehow trick Kid and the rest that were part of Serge's team that he was the real Serge. He couldn't get their help if he ran right off to enter FATE... they'd know something was up.

Radical Dreamers: Sometimes people make up organization names to make them feel safer. The fact that there aren't any other Radical Dreamers means that Kid is the only meaningful member.

As always, will play after work. I wonder if I'll ever be able to turn that the other way...
Old August 9, 2002, 09:18   #42
Footie Mad
Prince

Im ashamed to admit i was scared shitless the first time I got suprised while playing Undying.
It's candy. Surely there are more important things the NAACP could be boycotting. If the candy were shaped like a burning cross or a black man made of regular chocolate being dragged behind a truck made of white chocolate I could understand the outrage and would share it. - Drosedars
Old August 22, 2002, 16:53   #43
Galvatron
Civilization II PBEMPtWDG Glory of War
Prince

It's without question: HOMM 4 and AoW 2 (like the whole series they are unbeatable) and of course:

Civ III

Proud and official translator of Yaroslavs Civilization-Diplomacy utility.
Old August 22, 2002, 17:46   #44
Vesayen
King

NO ONE Mentioned x-com, or masters of orion 1/2.....you should all be ashamed.
Old August 23, 2002, 00:39   #45
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

The Sims. - Its Fun Controlling Peoples Lives!
Old August 23, 2002, 00:46   #46
JohnT
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Vesayen
I believe the original poster was looking for something that has been released since the days when a P-3 400MhZ was state of the art, not from when a 486-33MhZ with a turbo button was $2,500.
Old August 23, 2002, 02:39   #47
devilmunchkin
Warlord

I LOVE WARCRAFT 3!!! I"M SO addicted to that game!!!

additions: starcraft + brood war

playstation1 +2: soul reaver, soul reaver 2, and i kinda like final fantasy 9

xbox: blood omen 2, Halo, oddworld: munch's oddysee
"Speaking on the subject of conformity: This rotting concept of the unfathomable nostril mystifies the fuming crotch of my being!!! Stop with the mooing you damned chihuahua!!! Ganglia!! Rats eat babies!" ~ happy noodle boy
Old August 23, 2002, 02:54   #48
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 12:51
Quote:
Originally posted by Vesayen
Did you read my first post?
Old August 23, 2002, 04:08   #49
Galvatron
Civilization II PBEMPtWDG Glory of War
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by JohnT

I believe the original poster was looking for something that has been released since the days when a P-3 400MhZ was state of the art, not from when a 486-33MhZ with a turbo button was $2,500.
Must be a long time ago: 1875?

Proud and official translator of Yaroslavs Civilization-Diplomacy utility.
Old August 23, 2002, 09:32   #50
FlameFlash
Emperor

*shudders at the memory of C64s and Apple IIc+ being at that price tag as well...*

And back then, the real value of the money was more than it is today...

Old August 23, 2002, 12:50   #51
Buck Birdseed
Emperor

From the past two-ish years? Gabriel Knight 3: Blood of the Sacred, Blood of the Damned and Escape From Monkey Island are the only ones I can think of.

That's right, beat the Adventure Nerd.

And I still never finished Chrono Trigger, unfortunately it was one of those games where I reached a bit that required me to redo a long section after dying and just couldn't be bothered. I really should give it another go, it was ****ing brilliant.
Old August 23, 2002, 13:16   #52
Rogan Josh
Prince

Ooooh I love the Gabriel Knight games. Do you know if they are making a GK4?
Old August 23, 2002, 13:51   #53
Buck Birdseed
Emperor

Maybe. Jane Jensen has been gauging peoples' opinions on the boards, and the new leadership at Sierra seems considerably more concerned with its classic licences.
Old August 29, 2002, 11:27   #54
Lars-E
Warlord

civ2
gta3
Old August 29, 2002, 21:38   #55
HeHe
Settler

Local Time: 23:51
Heroes of Might and Magic 2
Warlords 3 Darklords Rising
Lords of the Realm 2
Quake 1 Capture the Flag (MOD)
Civilization 2
Age of Empires / Age of Kings
Chessmaster
Old September 5, 2002, 09:53   #56
Silpy
Chieftain

Flashpoint! Flashpoint!

How DARE thee forget the hallowed Operation Flashpoint....if you do not own it, go buy it! And if you can not afford it, steal it! (It's really that good)