Old July 23, 2002, 15:34   #1
Smitty258
Settler

Local Time: 23:52
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Golden Age list??
I'm sure this has been researched and done, but does anyone have or can provide me with a link on what exactly triggers golden ages for all the Civilizations?

Thanks.
Old July 23, 2002, 15:51   #2
vondrack
lifer
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEMPtWDG Legoland
Emperor

Local Time: 05:52
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Re: Golden Age list??
Quote:
Originally posted by Smitty258
I'm sure this has been researched and done, but does anyone have or can provide me with a link on what exactly triggers golden ages for all the Civilizations?

Thanks.
IMHO, the sure way is to have your civ-specific unit (unique unit, UU) win for the first time.

Other than that, completing a certain wonder (or wonders) may trigger the GA. The civilopaedia says that completing a wonder (or wonders) that fit both your civ traits can (I guess it means will) trigger the GA. So it should be just a matter of going through the Great Wonders section of the civilopedia to find out.

Examples:
Pyramids (an industrious & religious wonder) can/will trigger the GA for the Egyptians (they are industrious and religious).

Great Library (a scientific wonder) with, say, Oracle (a religious wonder) can/will trigger the GA for the Babylonians (they are scientific and religious).

I am not sure about that "can" and "will". It's only now that I fully realized that you may need more than one wonder to pull the trigger... I haven't paid attention enough in my previous games... I must also admit that I am not sure whether you can have more than one GA... looking at the Civilopaedia entry for GA, I'd say that you can have the GA just once...
Old July 23, 2002, 17:48   #3
kring
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerNationStatesCTP2 Source Code ProjectApolyton UniversityCivilization IV Creators
King

Local Time: 22:52
According to Firaxis, you can only have one. That is probably why they used the word can, instead of will. If a GW only matches one of your two traits, then building a different one that matches the other will trigger a GA IF you haven't already had one that game.
Old July 23, 2002, 18:57   #4
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Local Time: 00:52
Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
Captured GWs can trigger it too.
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old July 23, 2002, 23:10   #5
Smitty258
Settler

Local Time: 23:52
So...there aren't specifics that trigger it? You'd think there would be something in the programming that says "(X) civ will have GA when it builds (Y) wonder"

BTW...I could have sworn I had 2 in one game once. One early from UU victory, and one late in the game from a wonder being built. I don't remember the exact parts of it though. It was a long time ago.
Old July 24, 2002, 00:08   #6
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 06:52
Quote:

BTW...I could have sworn I had 2 in one game once. One early from UU victory, and one late in the game from a wonder being built. I don't remember the exact parts of it though. It was a long time ago.
This should not be possible!!!

You can however chance the duration of a Golden Age in the editor
Old July 24, 2002, 01:36   #7
kring
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerNationStatesCTP2 Source Code ProjectApolyton UniversityCivilization IV Creators
King

Local Time: 22:52
Quote:
So...there aren't specifics that trigger it? You'd think there would be something in the programming that says "(X) civ will have GA when it builds (Y) wonder"
There are specifics: 1) UU winning a battle; 2) building GW that contain both your civ traits, whether it is one GW or two GW's. The Pyramids for Egypt is the best example that comes to mind.

There is a list somewhere, but I can't recall where that lists the GW traits.