Old July 24, 2002, 05:18   #1
vulture
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafC4DG Gathering Storm
King

Local Time: 05:53
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Creating a new scoring system
The scoring system in Civ 3 depends on three factors: Land area controlled, population, and victory date. I think that most people realise that to run up a large score you basically need to go to war early and often - it is possible to win by domination of conquest fairly early, and with a huge score by virtue of owning the vast majority of the map. Other victory types are almost guaranteed to come later (diplomatic or spaceship for instance) and to involve a lower land area and population, although it is possible to mlik the score by getting near the domination limit early in the game with wars, and then playing through to the end for a spaceship win. Not very interesting though.

So, how to balance the scoring system. And what are the odds of it being implemented in a later patch (given that it doesn't have to affect affect gameplay at all - the scoring system for the histograph could in principle remain unchanged). The obvious suggestion is to award scores for other achievements as well, such as no. of turns without war (as per Civs 1 and 2), scores for cities with high cultural levels (each border expansion gives a a score boost, or something similar, even if it doesn't gain any new territory), for attitudes of other leaders towards you throught the game, for building wonders, for capturing wonders. It's not hard to think of plenty of things that could in principle count towards the score.

The second alteration is to alter how much each factor is worth depending on what kind of victory you win. A military victory would obviously score most strongly on territory captured, wonders captured and so on. A cultural victory would score more strongly for cities with high cultural levels, building rather than capturing wonders, capturing cities by culture flips (unless you are Coracle ), and would score much lower (or even negatively) for captured cities, razed cities. The bonus depending on which year you finish could also vary for different victory types (I don't actually know if it does this at the moment), since obviously a spaceship launch in (for example) 1600 AD is somewhat harder than a diplomatic victory in the same year, due to needing more techs and more industrial output.

Obviously, this isn't a very detailed proposal, since a lot of testing would have to be done to try and get the scores more or less balanced. But is this something that people think would be a worthwhile change?
Old July 24, 2002, 08:20   #2
Killerdaffy
Warlord

Local Time: 05:53
Location: in other words a gang leader aspiring to Presidency
Great Idea!

The scoring system right now is really rather pointless. Also, what is urgently missing from the Hall of Fame is the data about the specific game: Type of world, size, year won, how many opponents. It makes a HUGE difference whether you win a BC military victory with the Persians on Pangea or on Achipelago...
Old July 24, 2002, 08:25   #3
zulu9812
King

Local Time: 04:53
Actually, I'd like to see the Power calculations worked out. When a civ respawns it gets 10x times it's original gold! I modded my bic so the starting treasury is 100 gold, which really mucks up power calculations later on. A civ can have 1 city and be the most powerful! And for some reason a civ gets a higher power score just before it's destroyed.
I think holding hands can be more erotic than 'slamming it in the ass' - Pekka, thinking that he's messed up
Old July 24, 2002, 11:25   #4
ShuShu
Chieftain

Local Time: 04:53
I couldn't agree more...
... but can you imagine the flames that will start up from all the bloodthirsty conquerers out there?

"what do you mean a temple is worth more than a razed city? Next thing you'll be saying is that a spearman can beat a tank. "