Old July 25, 2002, 05:02   #1
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Local Time: 04:57
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Surrendering
Why not impliment surrendering in Civ?

Sometimes I decide "why not give them what they want?" when I'm losing a war (because im doing fairly well except on the war front) but they wont acknowledge my envoy.

I'd really like to be able to surrender. It's fairly annoying having your entire civ destroyed because you didnt give them a tech which you were willing to give later. After spending all that time, I just dont want to play again for a few days.

But thats just me. Anyway, what does everyone think of this idea?
Old July 25, 2002, 05:22   #2
Bambul
Warlord

Local Time: 14:57
I could see this working in the same way that France surrendered to Germany in 1940. Germany annexed a large part of France and a French government remained, but Franco-German relations were very friendly.

Cities flipping back to the surrendering Civ would be the main problem, but it seems that flipping problems are not restricted to just hyothetical situations like this one.
Old July 25, 2002, 06:12   #3
Solver
lifer
Civilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueThe Courts of Candle'BreC4WDG Team Apolyton
Deity

Local Time: 07:57
You will always be able to communiciate with an AI before you get destroyed at least once. But yes, there were wars when I was ready to give anything for peace.
Old July 25, 2002, 06:37   #4
NeoStar
Warlord

And vice versa - sometimes an AI attacks you and you beat them back, it would be good if they'd just surrender some of their territory and act submissive instead of force you to destroy them due to the threat.

I hate the 'I wont acknowledge your envoy' either. It seems way too petty-we're talking nations here not a dummy spit between ole 'Abe' and 'Cleo'l! I know civ is a game but even during WW2 diplomacy went on (not that they agreed on anything)
"Show me a man or a woman alone and I'll show you a saint. Give me two and they'll fall in love. Give me three and they'll invent the charming thing we call 'society'. Give me four and they'll build a pyramid. Give me five and they'll make one an outcast. Give me six and they'll reinvent prejudice. Give me seven and in seven years they'll reinvent warfare. Man may have been made in the image of God, but human society was made in the image of His opposite number, and is always trying to get back home." - Glen Bateman, The Stand (Stephen King)
Old July 25, 2002, 06:40   #5
Solver
lifer
Civilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueThe Courts of Candle'BreC4WDG Team Apolyton
Deity

Local Time: 07:57
Quote:
And vice versa - sometimes an AI attacks you and you beat them back, it would be good if they'd just surrender some of their territory and act submissive instead of force you to destroy them due to the threat.
It does... you can sometimes ask for a few cities and have them.
Old July 25, 2002, 06:41   #6
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Local Time: 04:57
Quote:
Originally posted by Solver
Quote:
Ive never gotten more than one (well, two in my Russia-China vs. US scenario...but that doesnt count)
Old July 25, 2002, 06:57   #7
Iskandar Reza
Civilization III PBEM
Prince

Local Time: 12:57
I'd really love it if you can beat the AI into submission like in SMAC/X. I love having vassal states.
"Who's your Daddy? You know who your Daddy is, huh?? It's me! Yeah.. I'm your Daddy! Uh-huh! How come I'm your Daddy! 'Coz I did this to your Mama? Yeah, your Mama! Yeah this your Mama! Your Mama! You suck man, but your Mama's sweet! You suck, but your Mama, ohhh... Uh-huh, your Mama! Far out man, you do suck, but not as good as your Mama! So what's it gonna be? Spit or swallow, sissy boy?" - Superfly, joecartoon
Old July 25, 2002, 08:05   #8
NeoStar
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Solver
Yeah, I got one, after I captured/lost it several times (mid age). A 'few' sounds impossible. It hardly got rid of the threat (with the treaty) and the civ in question didn't tone down. I had to annhilate it in the end to get peace

Quote:
well, two in my Russia-China vs. US scenario...but that doesnt count
Hmm, that sounds an interesting scn. I've been only looking at historical since the patch, haven't thought about future yet...
"Show me a man or a woman alone and I'll show you a saint. Give me two and they'll fall in love. Give me three and they'll invent the charming thing we call 'society'. Give me four and they'll build a pyramid. Give me five and they'll make one an outcast. Give me six and they'll reinvent prejudice. Give me seven and in seven years they'll reinvent warfare. Man may have been made in the image of God, but human society was made in the image of His opposite number, and is always trying to get back home." - Glen Bateman, The Stand (Stephen King)
Old July 25, 2002, 08:39   #9
vondrack
lifer
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEMPtWDG Legoland
Emperor

Local Time: 05:57
Quote:
Originally posted by NeoStar
Yeah, I got one, after I captured/lost it several times (mid age). A 'few' sounds impossible. It hardly got rid of the threat (with the treaty) and the civ in question didn't tone down. I had to annhilate it in the end to get peace
I had a situation where Liz was willing to give me all but her capital and one more city (4 cities altogether) to leave her be.

However, it is quite rare, usually most you can get is one small city with no real importance... but for me, no city is unimportant enough...
Old July 25, 2002, 10:26   #10
Sonic
Warlord

Local Time: 06:57
If they desn't wants to give you right to speak that means they also don't want you to surrender. Not always in history the winning side accepted surrender without annexing the losing side
Old July 25, 2002, 10:37   #11
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Local Time: 00:57
Firaxis made changes to the original game in order to curb certain exploits. One of them was the "go to war for a couple of turns, take 2-3 cities, get all tech/gold/maps and a few more cities for peace... and repeat over and over." The AI would just keep giving in. So now you get the "refuse to acknowledge" message for about 5 turns at the beginning of a war. After that, they will usually talk to you. If you've fought before, or if you've been razing cities and such, they may not talk until you're really beating on them.

I agree, conceptually, that vassal states would be cool... though you can (kinda) do that already. If you have a large advantage in power, call up a civ and renegotiate your peace treaty with them. NOTE: this will not work with the top 2 AI's. You may be surprised at how much peace with you is worth to them. Gold and tech may come your way... but not cities, as Aeson demonstrated the power of that exploit spectacularly (a Diety game where he won via domination with almost no warfare). If you have a civ paying you gold per turn so you won't kill them, I'd call them a vassal.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old July 25, 2002, 10:52   #12
Iskandar Reza
Civilization III PBEM
Prince

Local Time: 12:57
Cool, didn't know that was possible.

Oh, Ghandi! I'd like to have a word with you...
"Who's your Daddy? You know who your Daddy is, huh?? It's me! Yeah.. I'm your Daddy! Uh-huh! How come I'm your Daddy! 'Coz I did this to your Mama? Yeah, your Mama! Yeah this your Mama! Your Mama! You suck man, but your Mama's sweet! You suck, but your Mama, ohhh... Uh-huh, your Mama! Far out man, you do suck, but not as good as your Mama! So what's it gonna be? Spit or swallow, sissy boy?" - Superfly, joecartoon
Old July 25, 2002, 16:09   #13
Denday
Chieftain

Local Time: 16:57
In the roman empire did they accept submission ?
did the mongols
Old July 25, 2002, 16:54   #14
NeoStar
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Arrian
Firaxis made changes to the original game in order to curb certain exploits...
-Arrian
Hmm...You're right - maybe the 'I wont acknowledge your envoy' is important, thinking back to civ2.

Quote:
Originally posted by Denday
In the roman empire did they accept submission ?
did the mongols
True, in early ages diplomacy went all to hell. I should instead say those diplomacy changes should come into effect in the ind/mod age to relfect the times as it becomes more important. I suppose they look different, but they don't really change
Old July 25, 2002, 20:27   #15
Zachriel
King

Local Time: 00:57
Quote:
Originally posted by NeoStar
I hate the 'I wont acknowledge your envoy' either. It seems way too petty-we're talking nations here not a dummy spit between ole 'Abe' and 'Cleo'l! I know civ is a game but even during WW2 diplomacy went on (not that they agreed on anything)
I remember those days fondly, Churchill setting down for tea with his pal Adoph.

Old July 26, 2002, 01:59   #16
NeoStar
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Zachriel
I remember those days fondly, Churchill setting down for tea with his pal Adoph.
So 'Adoph' was his pal? Interesting, Zach'o. You must be an old bloke.

BTW Of course they didn't meet personally-but they did talk. The demands were ridicolous but if you really wanted to end a war...

Last edited by NeoStar; July 26, 2002 at 02:15.
Old July 26, 2002, 11:21   #17
Farmer Jimbo
Settler

Local Time: 23:57
Local Date: October 31, 2010
How about:

"The French refuse to acknowledge our envoy!"

"Would you like to offer 100 gold for an audience with Joan of Arc"

Or something along those lines....