Old July 25, 2002, 21:59   #1
RedBird
Warlord

Local Time: 23:58
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Do you get promotion when sustaining multiple attacks?
I thought for sure I'd read somewhere that if a unit is attacked twice in one turn it was automatically promoted. Is that true? If so when does the promotion come?

Obviously I just had a unit sustain two attacks without getting promoted. The third attack killed it, but it was not promoted after the second attack. I just kind of felt that if it had gotten that promotion that it "coulda been a contenda".
Old July 25, 2002, 22:06   #2
Cyclotron
Never Ending StoriesThe Courts of Candle'Bre
King

I've never heard that before... and it doesn't appear to be true in the game. Who told you that?
Old July 25, 2002, 22:21   #3
Catt
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton University
King

Local Time: 21:58
Mike B. (Firaxis) posted over at CFC that a defending unit that kills two attackers in the same turn always gets promoted. I also re-posted the same info here a few weeks back under a thread title something like "Compiled Firaxis Comments on Unknown Features." (Should be an easy search since I'm sure I used "compiled" in the title).

RedBird - did your defender actually win (kill) the attacking units, or did one of the attacking units retreat? In my games, if the attackers retreat it doesn't seem to count as a "win" and guarantee the upgrade -- other than that twist on the statement, I haven't yet seen a defender fail to promote after two successful engagements.

Catt
Old July 25, 2002, 23:47   #4
RedBird
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Catt
RedBird - did your defender actually win (kill) the attacking units, or did one of the attacking units retreat?
Hmmm. I think I saved that battle, and I have Save Random Seed off so I'll retry that. The second attack was from a knight, and I think it did retreat. I'll see if I can reproduce the battle.

I wouldn't have suspected that you needed to kill the attackers outright since I've had some of my attacking units get promoted even though the defender retreated. None the less I bet you're right.

Thanks!
Old July 25, 2002, 23:49   #5
RedBird
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by cyclotron7
I've never heard that before... and it doesn't appear to be true in the game. Who told you that?
Well, I read it on the Internet, so it must be true, right?

Old July 26, 2002, 14:36   #6
Palleon
Warlord

Local Time: 22:58
It is true for defenders as well as attackers, It's something fairly easy to test. If you win 2 battles in the same turn, IE, two defenses, or two successful attacks, you'll always be promoted, but it doesn't work twice. IE, if you win twice, get promoted to veteran, you can win the next 4 in a row and not nessessarly go to elite. At least that's how it's worked in every game I've played, which is why all my modern armors are all elite, because they get those extra attacks to level up.