Old July 26, 2002, 15:39   #1
Trifna
King

Local Time: 13:00
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Hybrid solution for workers
If it can't be for the Civ III add-on, it could be for Civ IV, but here's the idea:

Normally, in a country, people tht are directing the operations are able to give precise commands such as build road THERE, THERE, and THERE. But they can also simply give a general idea such as build roads in general or this, or that... Do this in such case, etc. There are a few general patterns used by players, not that much.

Solution? Here's a possibility... We could not have a single worker BUT we could always give some specific tasks to do by (for exemple) clicking from a place to another to show we want road between these two places. Same for mines, etc. So it would work by itself, but there still wouldn't be any problem for making a specific task. Also, a few common used patterns could be offered, and maybe even players could invent some... In all this managemet, you could allow percentages of your working forces to different things (ex: 20% to this pattern, 30% making these things I asked for, 40% making roads/railroads and washing pollution, 10% free (maybe letting some free could have some advantage, dunno... this would be for Civ IV I guess))

Taking half of our turn managing our working force and looking workers moving, this is something that should diseapear...

Last edited by Trifna; July 26, 2002 at 15:53.
Old July 26, 2002, 16:22   #2
Flinx
CTP2 Source Code Project
Prince

Local Time: 00:00
Re: Hybrid solution for workers
Quote:
Originally posted by Trifna
If it can't be for the Civ III add-on, it could be for Civ IV, but here's the idea:
We could not have a single worker BUT we could always give some specific tasks to do by (for exemple) clicking from a place to another to show we want road between these two places.
Maybe I am misunderstanding what you are saying, but it sounds like the ctrl-R and ctrl-shift-R commands for roads and railroads. There is also an 'irrigate to nearest city' command or something which I never use. ...And as for mines I can’t think of why you would want such a command, when would you use it?
Old July 27, 2002, 01:04   #3
Trifna
King

Local Time: 13:00
Yes, but it could (should?) be generalized and put in some way that would be the norm to be used. A place to make general management, with some sliding bar or something. Ideally, these workers could even be out (graphically speaking). They are simply a percentage of the population put into public jobs to build roads, etc. General management (more realistic too) is something to be looked at.
Old July 27, 2002, 20:42   #4
Destroyer
Prince

Local Time: 05:00
This would dumb the game down. Wasnt this tried in ctp?
Old July 31, 2002, 00:09   #5
Kramerman
Prince

Local Time: 23:00
Local Date: October 31, 2010
i think it would be an interesting idea, but i dunno if it would ever come out as an add-on
Old July 31, 2002, 03:09   #6
Dimorier Maximus
Warlord

Local Time: 05:00
One of the best ways to improve your play at all the civs: 1, 2, and 3 has been knowing all the little tricks you could do with settlers/workers. Anyone who uses fully automated workers is not playing to their best potential, but I agree, it does make the game more enjoyable to have less control sometimes.
Old August 4, 2002, 11:49   #7
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Local Time: 07:00
hi ,

they should fix the identity bug , .......

as for the rest , great idea

have a nice day