Old July 26, 2002, 18:25   #1
DCMike
Chieftain

Local Time: 01:01
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Nukes
Any chance of having the option to make nukes COMPLETELY eliminate a city (like the planet busters in Alpha Centauri)? I think that would make for some interesting games. Not to mention the fact that I'm going to need that option for the Mongols
Old July 27, 2002, 11:20   #2
Ijuin
Prince

Local Time: 14:01
Yeah, in CTP a nuke would totally obliterate a city. Previously I had suggested that a nuke hitting a garrisoned city would destroy population, units, and improvements like it already does in CivIII, but a nuke hitting a city with no units in it (like if it has already had them all killed by conventional or nuclear attack earlier that turn) would obliterate the city.

Some may complain that this would allow a nuked city to rush/draft a unit during its turn and thus save itself from being destroyed by the next nuke attack, but I say, if you, the player, are planning on destroying a city via nukes, then you should have launched that second nuke on the same turn as the first one!
Old July 27, 2002, 12:27   #3
WarpStorm
King

Local Time: 00:01
Have you tried them lately? They will wipe out half the units out right as well as half the population and buildings. In addition, (and I 'm not sure when they added this, but I don't think it was like this out of the box) units take a major attack. I find that in my games the damage to units is roughly 80% dead and the rest injured.

No it isn't an AC Planet Buster, but it is pretty good.
Old July 27, 2002, 21:01   #4
DCMike
Chieftain

Maybe the tactical nuke should be as you describe, but certainly not the ICBM. I don't think there would be much left of city after a 20 megaton nuke hit a city. And what might be left certainly wouldn't be useful. Check the following link out:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/amex/bomb/sf.../blastmap.html
Old July 28, 2002, 08:06   #5
Ijuin
Prince

Local Time: 14:01
Maybe destroying a city with one blast would be more realistic, but it would be unbalancing to the game.

For example, say that an opposing civilization is about to launch its space ship. In order to stop it, you launch an ICBM, completely obliterating the rival civ's capital city. You have now ensured that you will win the game with this single attack, without having to use any land troops to invade and seize the enemy capital.
Old July 28, 2002, 10:29   #6
DCMike
Chieftain

Hmm, good point Ijuin. There must be a way around that problem. I'll have to think about that one. In the meantime I'll just be happy that SDI is no longer 100% effective like it was in previous versions of Civ
Old July 28, 2002, 12:14   #7
Sonic
Warlord

Local Time: 07:01
BTW, nukes didn't wiped Hiroshima. Maybe there should also be Thermonuclear nuke option. It would wipe of a city and make that plot where it stood and 8 tiles around a desert, but it would cost much and would raise global heating to hell high levels, so many tiles all over the map would become desert, in your territory also, so you'd have to think before using it.
Old July 28, 2002, 12:41   #8
ChaotikVisions
Civilization IV Creators
Prince

Nukes are fairly realistic in terms of gameplay and actually having a 'balanced' super weapon. Only thing I would add in is making nuclear waste a unique pollution, and having it cause plague in the city its near every turn or so. So that way the fallout is accurately represented.
Old July 29, 2002, 14:03   #9
Craftsman
Chieftain

Local Time: 02:01
Idea for more interesting nukes!!!
I just had an idea for nukes!

According to Ijuin:

Quote:
Maybe destroying a city with one blast would be more realistic, but it would be unbalancing to the game.
For example, say that an opposing civilization is about to launch its space ship. In order to stop it, you launch an ICBM, completely obliterating the rival civ's capital city. You have now ensured that you will win the game with this single attack, without having to use any land troops to invade and seize the enemy capital.
This is a very good point, and I agree with this.

Also, another good idea came from ChaotikVisions:

Quote:
Nukes are fairly realistic in terms of gameplay and actually having a 'balanced' super weapon. Only thing I would add in is making nuclear waste a unique pollution, and having it cause plague in the city its near every turn or so. So that way the fallout is accurately represented.
Finally, my idea is:

If a city population is below or equals to 12, for example, and it never growed beyond 12 before, then a nuke would raze it.

For example, if a city population is now 11, but it was 13 before a settler was build, nukes would never be capable of razing it.

I´m new to Civ3 (playing since last Saturday) and, as far as I remember, a city needs a Hospital to grow beyond size 12. I think that Hospitals come before nukes in the tech tree. Not quite sure... So, we could protect against nuke razing by populating at least our Capital beyond size 12.

Comments?
Thanks!
Craftsman.
Old July 29, 2002, 14:07   #10
trickey
Civilization III Democracy GameNever Ending StoriesRise of Nations MultiplayerPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Prince

Another idea for nukes would be that it would throw your civ into a major dissorder. the people wouldnt like it very much.
Old July 29, 2002, 14:13   #11
Craftsman
Chieftain

trickey said:

Quote:
Another idea for nukes would be that it would throw your civ into a major dissorder. the people wouldnt like it very much.
Well, maybe only if the Capital was hit. If any city hit would cause disorder, IMHO it would be unplayable...
Old July 29, 2002, 17:16   #12
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Local Time: 23:01
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by trickey
I agree with Craftsman, it might have the effect of Sept 11 if its not your capital and just piss the population off. Maybe it would reduce war weariness in the victim civ or increase the ability to draft forces.
Old July 29, 2002, 20:10   #13
Craftsman
Chieftain

Talking about nukes, in the Civ3 FAQ is said that M.A.D. (Mutual Assured Destruction) isn´t used in Civ3. What is M.A.D.? Is it the case of pre-targeted cities for nuclear attacks (if our civ is nuked, a nuclear counter-attack is automatically launched)? Or I´m just wrong?

Nukes, nukes... There´s something about nukes.
Old July 29, 2002, 20:39   #14
Coracle
Prince

You are right.
Quote:
Originally posted by ChaotikVisions

In GAMEPLAY they are realistic - not in reality in regards to their poliitical and moral consequences.

Nukes are unrealistic because we have no quick response first strike option. MORE IMPORTANTLY - and why I NEVER use them - is there is NO RADIATION POISONING. There are people who have suggested TERRAFORMING the earth with nukes!

So you are correct. There must be a RADIATION POISON POLLUTION factor. Otherwise, it is more fantasy, such as disappearing garrisons during flipping, or razing cities.
Old July 30, 2002, 00:37   #15
Dimorier Maximus
Warlord

Local Time: 05:01
Personally, I hate nukes. I know they are realistic and all, but I feel they detract from the game more than anything else. I used to use them in Civ1 sometimes just to jack around, but they ruin the game, IMHO.

Another thing that ruins the game: polluted squares.

If I were making a variant, I would have no nukes, and no polluted squares.
Old July 30, 2002, 01:57   #16
Zylka
Civilization II MultiplayerDiploGamesApolytoners Hall of Fame
King

This is true
Old July 30, 2002, 10:42   #17
Craftsman
Chieftain

Nukes were created, and used (and they are horrible, talking about real-life). Mankind life and development generates lots of pollution. So, if the game is about human civilizations, IMHO it´s normal to see those things.

Nukes and pollution make things more difficult, indeed. We may not need to build and use nukes during gameplay, but to reach the stars first, we must deal with and clean our mess, just as if we were washing dishes after a great meal.

Just my two cents.

The RADIATION POISON POLLUTION factor idea is a very interesting one. I would also remind about my own idea, stated early on this thread. (Hello Firaxis!!!)

Sidenote: Just won my first Space Race, yesterday (2nd game! Tiny map; Chinese versus Americans, Indians and Japanese; Chieftain; 2046!!!). Wow!!! The video is amazing!!!
Old July 30, 2002, 20:28   #18
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 22:01
I liked the way that nukes worked in CTP2. All the units in the target square were destroyed, those around the target square were either destroyed or very damaged, city wasn't destroyed but all improvements and most of the population was, and most squares in the blast zone were polluted.

In Civ3 the nukes just don't damage things enough and you already lose all of the improvements once you capture a city.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old July 30, 2002, 23:35   #19
Dragon's Lord
Civilization III Democracy Game
Settler

Pollution is not a problem if your prepared..
to fight pollution dont grow above a size 12 city till you have the Eco tech to keep your citys clean.. and when i nuke i have trans with armys and tons of the workers im not useing at this point to clean up the mess... last game i used nukes i have 4 transports 2 have armys in them the other 2 i have 8 workers.... i take the city and 10 turns later i hope the city is clean then rush buy eco improvements... but i like the idea of size 12 and under razing its about right with that blast map up at the top posting my city kc would be destroyed in the blast radius our population is 800,000 or so which i thing is the same size as a 12..
Old July 30, 2002, 23:36   #20
Kramerman
Prince

Quote:
The RADIATION POISON POLLUTION factor idea is a very interesting one. I would also remind about my own idea, stated early on this thread. (Hello Firaxis!!!)
I like this idea too

Quote:
Sidenote: Just won my first Space Race, yesterday (2nd game! Tiny map; Chinese versus Americans, Indians and Japanese; Chieftain; 2046!!!). Wow!!! The video is amazing!!!
Congratulations! Ive never won by space race, but ive never really cared to. Your statement of the video being great has piqued my interest, however...
Old July 31, 2002, 03:20   #21
Dimorier Maximus
Warlord

I don't think that pollution should really become a problem at all until nukes are used or you get high tech. I mean, you could have a huge city without pollution. It depends on the products your people have. Until you have plastics and other crazy stuff like combustion, you aren't going to pollute the earth no matter how many people you have in your city. Pollution by city size = dumb, IMHO. It should be very, very minimal (read nonexistent).
Old July 31, 2002, 03:24   #22
Dimorier Maximus
Warlord

Ah, I almost forgot, nukes should have a devastating effect on society and the civ that uses them, if they are used. The entire world should shun them, etc. And the citizens of the civ that used them should get pissed off, possibly sparking a Civil War....basically, I want it to be a realistically hard decision whether or not to use nukes. As it stands, all you need is a real army, an army of workers, and an arsenal of nukes, then good-bye enemies. It's not at all like real life. I don't usually support realism over gameplay, but in this instance, I do.
Old July 31, 2002, 05:43   #23
WarpStorm
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Dimorier Maximus
I don't think that pollution should really become a problem at all until nukes are used or you get high tech.
You obviously never saw pictures of Pittsburgh in the early 1900s then. Black as night in the day from the pollution. All of the buildings were black. Do a little research, please.
Old July 31, 2002, 05:46   #24
WarpStorm
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Dimorier Maximus
Ah, I almost forgot, nukes should have a devastating effect on society and the civ that uses them, if they are used. The entire world should shun them, etc. And the citizens of the civ that used them should get pissed off, possibly sparking a Civil War....basically, I want it to be a realistically hard decision whether or not to use nukes.
When the USA used nukes in WW2, there wasn't this sort of backlash you are talking about. The people were just glad that the war was over. I think what you are suggesting is a very PC version of "reality".
Old July 31, 2002, 11:51   #25
Dimorier Maximus
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by WarpStorm You obviously never saw pictures of Pittsburgh in the early 1900s then. Black as night in the day from the pollution. All of the buildings were black. Do a little research, please.
So what if the buildings are black, that doesn't turn plains into desert. Sure, when you get factories there should be pollution, but it shouldn't actually pollute squares for quite some time. Getting polluted squares like crazy in the Industrial age...nonsense...complete nonsense. Sure, you can probably give me a couple of examples of early pollution, and I don't mind getting one or two token polluted squares, but it's freaking rampant in the game. There should be a way to tone it down, or turn it off in the pregame options.
Old August 1, 2002, 06:34   #26
Sonic
Warlord

Yes, deserting of the world is truth and a problem. Deserts becomes bigger and bigger. However, scientists still doesn't knows is this because of global pollution or because of simple process.
Old August 1, 2002, 12:25   #27
Caliban
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Sonic
Deserts becomes bigger and bigger.
That's a fact.
But I would really like to reverse this process, at least in my computer. In Civ2 we had that nice little terraforming ability...