Old July 26, 2002, 21:36   #1
trickey
Civilization III Democracy GameNever Ending StoriesRise of Nations MultiplayerPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Prince

Local Time: 01:01
Local Date: November 1, 2010
My first monarch game.
So, after beating up on the regent A.I. for a little while, i finnaly decided it was time tom take the next step up to monarch. Standard map, 8 civs, all setting normal. I started off at a pretty nice stiuation. The english were just to my south, and even further south were the persians.

I quickly fell behinde 5-6 techs, even though i was bigger than the English. I decided if i wanted to stay competetive, it was war time time! So i stacked about 10 swordsmen outside the English boder, then took 3 of their cities in 2 turns. I sued for all the tech i was behind.

later on i saw i few Persian settlers headint through my land. Hell no, im not lettin them settle. So they declare war on me when i ask 'em to leave. Worst part is, they have iron, which equals Immortals.

I actually beat the crap out of the immortals.

then Persia demolished Emgland. Now i have brought you to my present situation, i'd really apprecieate it if some good players could give me some advice on what i should do.
Attached Files:
Old July 26, 2002, 23:54   #2
King of Rasslin
Prince

Local Time: 05:01
Welcome to the club. A lot of players are moving up to monarch now, since the AI seems to be adjusting poorly to many changes in the patches. I will take a look at that game sometime. You could try to fight the Persians or wait until their immortals become obsolete. Just keep up in the tech race and you will do well.
Old July 27, 2002, 00:12   #3
King of Rasslin
Prince

I actually looked at the save game just now. You are in some serious trouble, man! You have a serious lack of production, partly because you space your cities very far apart. Vel did a great thread on city placement, and I did my own too. Check them out.

And make more army units. I forgot to check your government, but you are only using about 2/3 of your military support. Don't make swordsmen. Persia has feudalism, and that means pikemen. Make a lot of horsemen and upgrade them all to knights when you get chivalry. Hopefully you will have an advantage over him after the knights attack.

And NEVER make wealth! Even after you discover economics (wealth benefit x2) it is not worth it. Have your capitol make a lot of horsemen, you can have about 2 dozen more without paying a cent for them. Even in monarchy, I still pay a lot of military support. You need to keep up in power.

If you neglect the power graph, you won't learn. Pay attention to it, it accurately reflects how powrful you are. Your military is horribly weak. It isn't adequate against a peaceful nation, and certainly not against Persia! Stop making the libraries because you will not catch up in tech that way. You are going to have to fight for the techs because Xerxes has 4 or 5 you don't have. I think you can beat him, but you are in for a hard fight.
Old July 27, 2002, 00:30   #4
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
Without looking at the save, but inferring from King's comments:

Beeline for your Samurai. In the meantime, build Horsemen and wealth improvements.

Make "immortal sushi."

Nothing else matters.
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old July 27, 2002, 07:01   #5
trickey
Civilization III Democracy GameNever Ending StoriesRise of Nations MultiplayerPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by King of Rasslin
I actually looked at the save game just now. You are in some serious trouble, man! You have a serious lack of production, partly because you space your cities very far apart. Vel did a great thread on city placement, and I did my own too. Check them out.

And make more army units. I forgot to check your government, but you are only using about 2/3 of your military support. Don't make swordsmen. Persia has feudalism, and that means pikemen. Make a lot of horsemen and upgrade them all to knights when you get chivalry. Hopefully you will have an advantage over him after the knights attack.

And NEVER make wealth! Even after you discover economics (wealth benefit x2) it is not worth it. Have your capitol make a lot of horsemen, you can have about 2 dozen more without paying a cent for them. Even in monarchy, I still pay a lot of military support. You need to keep up in power.

If you neglect the power graph, you won't learn. Pay attention to it, it accurately reflects how powrful you are. Your military is horribly weak. It isn't adequate against a peaceful nation, and certainly not against Persia! Stop making the libraries because you will not catch up in tech that way. You are going to have to fight for the techs because Xerxes has 4 or 5 you don't have. I think you can beat him, but you are in for a hard fight.
thanks for the comments. The reson most of my cities are so poorly placed, is at the start, the english expanded rapidly twords me, so i had to plop down a city on any decent spot. But now since persia destroyed england, im left with huge gaps in between my cities. Anyway, thanks for the help.
Old July 27, 2002, 07:24   #6
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Local Time: 06:01
Decrease luxuries, they're too high. Build market places and try to get a republic soon. And as others said, build some military units, prefarably horsemen, which can be upgraded to samurai.
Old July 27, 2002, 11:01   #7
King of Rasslin
Prince

You might actually want to make more cities! You need some production very bad. You luxuries meter is too high; I would get worried if mine ever got past 20%. Try to keep it at 10% if you can. If you go to republic, you could try researching all of the techs he has, but as it is I would be worried about him deciding to crush you.