Old July 27, 2002, 14:38   #1
whosurdaddy
Warlord

Local Time: 00:03
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Assimilation formula?
I was curious if anyone knew the assimilation formula for the game. This is because I am having a problem with the game.

I set the assimlation rates to 90% for each government type (using the editor in order to make it so that foreign nationals assimilate into my pop. quicker), but even after 20 or 30 turns, enemy citizens in cities which i have conquered from the AI are still retaining their old nationality, and this is even after the resistance has ended. With these settings, shouldnt the enemy citizens in my recently conquered cities be assymlating into my culture in 1 or 2 turns at the most?

So there are two options, this editor option does not completely control the assimilation percentages (there are other factors going into this which I have overlooked), or this option for the editor is broken, and therefore has no impact on gameplay whatsoever. Any thoughts?

P.S. Although i brought up this "bug" in the thread on culture flipping (didnt get too many responses though), this thread is not an argument on culture flipping, so please dont bring it up, thanks.
Old July 27, 2002, 17:02   #2
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 22:03
Local Date: October 31, 2010
From what I recall (of I do NOT remember which thread),
they convert when they have been in your hands LONGER than their own civ.

I "THINK" this was a Firaxian source, but I am not sure.

The best way to make the city "yours" may be to have it grow (mayby through immigration (workers)).
I play BtS (3.19) -- Noble or Prince, Rome, marathon speed, huge hemispheres (2 of them), aggressive AI, no tech brokering. I enjoy the Hephmod Beyond mod. For all non-civ computer uses, including internet, I use a Mac.
Old July 27, 2002, 17:16   #3
player1
Emperor

Local Time: 07:03
I think I heard somewere (by Firaxis) that assimilation only starts after you have more of your own pop in that city then foreigners.

That can happen by city growth (you always get your citizens) or by adding your setters or workers. Or by strarving foreigners and then leting it grow again (and thus, getting your own citizens).
Old July 27, 2002, 17:35   #4
whosurdaddy
Warlord

Local Time: 00:03
Quote:
Originally posted by player1
I think I heard somewere (by Firaxis) that assimilation only starts after you have more of your own pop in that city then foreigners.

That can happen by city growth (you always get your citizens) or by adding your setters or workers. Or by strarving foreigners and then leting it grow again (and thus, getting your own citizens).
eeeek!!! ... gasp!!! this is exactly one of the things I was trying to avoid by tinkering with the assilation rates (I hate how the concept of ethnic clensing has become so central and necessary part of the game). Oh well ...
Old July 29, 2002, 03:53   #5
Sir Og
Prince

Local Time: 08:03
In my experience the foreign citizens are the same as your own but only look different.
As far as I know they produce the same amount of resources as your native population.
I was wondering is there any difference between the native and foreign population in the cities.
Old July 29, 2002, 04:08   #6
GeneralTacticus
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMPtWDG RoleplayNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 16:03
Quote:
In my experience the foreign citizens are the same as your own but only look different.
As far as I know they produce the same amount of resources as your native population.
I was wondering is there any difference between the native and foreign population in the cities.
They will be unhappy if you go to war with their native civ, and they increase the chances of sulture flipping in the city.
Old July 29, 2002, 14:11   #7
dunk
Prince

Local Time: 01:03
Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Og
Foreign citizens can always become war-weary regardless of government type. Well, it's a little different, but you get the "Stop the aggression against our mother country" unhappiness from them if you go to war with the civ they originate from.

Aside from that, they are the same as your own nationality citizens. So, once Babylon is eliminated, having Babylonian citizens is of no threat to you.