Old July 28, 2002, 10:05   #1
Yit
Settler

Local Time: 23:06
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Are you a loner?
I am a gamer. I play games, read about games, study games.
I am a gamer.

However, I seem to be the only one in my area. Here in lowly Prattville, Alabama, it seems to be that I'm the only one here. Sure, there are plenty of Psx and XboX users , but they're all pansies(how much skill does it take to press 'open' and plug in a controller?)

I play many online games (Quake III, Diablo II, former Everquest Addict), and as I form relationships with the people that I play with, I eventually learn that they have buddies in RL that also play the same games as they do....and they are also at the same time shocked to find out that I don't.

Its hard some times, not being able to call up a buddy for some Red Alert modem to modem action, or have a friend loot your body when you are in Ak'anon and you died in Qeynos, but I manage.

Are there any other loners out there in this big ol' world of gaming, or am I the only one?

-Yit

By the way, I'm an avid fan of Halo for the Xbox, but most consoles and their owners are pansies...
Old July 28, 2002, 10:14   #2
trickey
Civilization III Democracy GameNever Ending StoriesRise of Nations MultiplayerPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Prince

Local Time: 01:06
Local Date: November 1, 2010
yup. you be alone
Old July 28, 2002, 10:51   #3
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 22:06
I am "almost a pansie."
Macintosh-only until 10/91, when I go a Wintel to play Civ3. Nice 1.3GHz,
but WITHOUT an AGP slot!
I play BtS (3.19) -- Noble or Prince, Rome, marathon speed, huge hemispheres (2 of them), aggressive AI, no tech brokering. I enjoy the Hephmod Beyond mod. For all non-civ computer uses, including internet, I use a Mac.
Old July 28, 2002, 11:04   #4
trickey
Civilization III Democracy GameNever Ending StoriesRise of Nations MultiplayerPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Prince

Local Time: 01:06
I used to play diablo II lod. I started off by myself, but ny the time i quit ( a couple weeks ago) i had 3-4 of my friends addicted
Old July 28, 2002, 15:22   #5
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Local Time: 05:06
Re: Are you a loner?
Quote:
Originally posted by Yit
I am a gamer. I play games, read about games, study games.
I am a gamer.

However, I seem to be the only one in my area. Here in lowly Prattville, Alabama, it seems to be that I'm the only one here. Sure, there are plenty of Psx and XboX users , but they're all pansies(how much skill does it take to press 'open' and plug in a controller?)

I play many online games (Quake III, Diablo II, former Everquest Addict), and as I form relationships with the people that I play with, I eventually learn that they have buddies in RL that also play the same games as they do....and they are also at the same time shocked to find out that I don't.

Its hard some times, not being able to call up a buddy for some Red Alert modem to modem action, or have a friend loot your body when you are in Ak'anon and you died in Qeynos, but I manage.

Are there any other loners out there in this big ol' world of gaming, or am I the only one?

-Yit

By the way, I'm an avid fan of Halo for the Xbox, but most consoles and their owners are pansies...
Hate to break the......mood, but doesnt this belong on some different forum?
Old July 28, 2002, 15:59   #6
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Local Time: 00:06
not alone. i have a small group of friends who play civ / etc. 6 of us.

made for some interesting civ2 MP games, and hopefully a great civ3 MP game
Old July 28, 2002, 16:25   #7
Apocalypse
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMMacInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization II MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

I know some people in real life that I play SMAC with. One of them was a girl that was heavily involved with She lived 3 hours away at the time though.

On a couple occasions, people in real life recognized me from SidGames.

In general, people I know in real life are more into console games than PC strategy titles.
"In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd
Old July 28, 2002, 22:02   #8
Chad
Settler

If you live in a small town in AL and want to talk to others about games like civ3, well...., give up. I lived out in the stix in Lacon, AL for a while and i can know what your talking about. What did I do?? Sold the computer, got a good looking old lady, spent time with friends, and worked. Keep life simple and there will be joy instead of torment. Either that or just move to Birmingham. lol.

BTW- There are other web sites to help with **** like this man.
Luminosity is veiled only by the rising of desire.
Old July 28, 2002, 22:22   #9
Blake
lifer
PolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG Gathering StormCivilization IV CreatorsApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of Fame
Beyond the Sword AI Programmer

Local Time: 18:06
I live in a flat owned by the university I attend, so I have a network connection to the university. Around 2000 rooms are simiallery connected, tho most arent inhabited by computer geeks . Netherless I have about a dozen friends on the network that I can regulary play LAN games with. (I know about half of them in real life).

Unfortunately a gamers paradise is not at all conductive to getting study and assignments done.
Old July 28, 2002, 23:02   #10
Playa del Carmen
Warlord

I am, too, alone, but when most of your friends of female, you wouldn't have found many gamers anyhow.
Old July 29, 2002, 21:55   #11
Yit
Settler

Reason I brought this up, was that when PTW comes along, its gonna be the same way all over again, which *sorta* bums me out. But I am going into college coming this fall, so hopefully there might be more of my kind there. Only bummer is that I'm living at home for $$$ reasons, so no dorm connections for me ...but maybe a lan part, no?

I played Civ II over at my friends house a few months ago, and that is what got me started on Civ in the first place. We'd skip school after our first block/period class (the only important one we had) and then go to his house, make a milkshake, and sit down for a good ol' session of Civ II. However, he isn't big into online gaming, and isn't real big into Civ anymore either.

I gotta keep on truckin'!

Bootleg Quote Log:
--------------------------------
I am, too, alone, but when most of your friends of female, you wouldn't have found many gamers anyhow
--------------------------------

Ahh, my dream girl...a gamer chick!

*sigh*...
Old July 30, 2002, 07:10   #12
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 22:06
Goody! I got to make a post before this thread got closed!
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.