Old July 30, 2002, 07:07   #61
Space05us
King

Local Time: 17:10
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
quote:

Originally posted by Space05us
they got spanked in WW2 as well. winter saved them.

Oh great, a glorious representative of glorious American education system arrived.
During our history, we've won a dozen times more wars then you ever have.
I wasnt making refrence to any other wars.
clearly you dont deny it.
Old July 30, 2002, 07:11   #62
Serb
Emperor

Local Time: 12:10
Quote:
they got spanked in WW2 as well. winter saved them.
I deny it, because it's bullshit.
Feel better now?
Old July 30, 2002, 07:17   #63
Space05us
King

Local Time: 17:10
Much better thank you

I would prove you wrong, but cant be botherd to go look for information on it at the moment as i must get off the computer soon.
Old July 30, 2002, 07:22   #64
Tingkai
Prince

Local Time: 13:10
Power no longer comes from military might, it comes from money simply because nuclear weapons have made massed armies engaged in conventional warfare obsolete. Nations will not risk a conventional war because of the risk that it will lead to all-out nuclear war.

So power instead comes from corporate influence. The economic strength of the United States has far more influence on world politics compared to the stength of the US military.

Just look at how corporations manipulate the American political system. Look at how American corporations influence political systems throughout the world. That's the true power these days.
Old July 30, 2002, 07:24   #65
Serb
Emperor

Quote:
I would prove you wrong, but cant be botherd to go look for information on it at the moment as i must get off the computer soon.
You should better read a couple of books about WW2, Germans or Russian don't matter, only not American books.
Old July 30, 2002, 08:47   #66
Q Classic
Emperor

Local Time: 00:10
many of you assume japan to be a dominant player in east asia in the coming century. while this is probably very likely, japan is not likely to be a superpower anytime soon. if you look at the economic and military information, you'll see that japan, although putting more money into its self-defense forces, still is unable to compete in scope or training with either the koreans or the chinese; and its economy has been faltering for the past ten years, with no letup in sight.
so while japan will be very influential in east asia and the pacific rim, i'd have to pull the barycenter of power away from them and put it much closer to china.

a unified korea would be very formidable; as it stands right now, also, south korea alone has far brighter prospects than japan, as it may be the first pacific rim nation to make the leap to a service-based economy, while japan remains mired in an industrial economy. there is a caveat, however. unless nkorea's economy rebounds (HA!) and grows fairly fast for the several years before unification--so that its GDP is about 65%-75% of skorea's--any sort of reunification would be disasterous economically for the koreas, as well as the rest of the pacific rim.
why? skorea would be pushed on the edge of bankruptcy, because it does not have the finances to bring nkorea to skorea's standards of living. (i doubt any country does, save the us.) and with skorea near bankrupt, or bankrupt, any economic news from japan would be bad. primarily because skorea is not only one of japan's biggest trading partners, but also because a weaker won results in more competitive korean goods-- resulting in cheaper japanese products in an already cash-strapped japanese economy.
Old July 30, 2002, 08:54   #67
Deathwalker
Prince

Local Time: 05:10
America has twenty years at most left as top dog. Two many other countries are working on being a superpower. India, EU, Russia, China and so on
Old July 30, 2002, 09:12   #68
DarthVeda
Emperor

Local Time: 01:10
World Superpowers? Well the U.S. isn't going to just walk away from the superpower table... we'd have to be shoved away.

But the only nations that have superpower capability within the next 50 years are China and Russia.

China is really questionable though, as they have about a 40-year technology gap between themselves and the U.S.

and Russia only if they keep their growth from the last few years going...
Old July 30, 2002, 09:19   #69
Serb
Emperor

Quote:
and Russia only if they keep their growth from the last few years going...
Don't worry, Yelt-Sin is out of the game. The period of anarchy after government switch is over now. We'll keep it.
Old July 30, 2002, 09:34   #70
Heresson
Scenario League / Civ2-CreationNationStates
Emperor

Local Time: 07:10
i doubt that eastern provinces could separate from Russia.
They are too weak. And Chineese? I guess they could smash Russia, but I doubt USA and Europe would allow that... Today Russia is poor and weak, and will stay that way for years... Perhaps it may obtain a role of regional
might... Now it's big and weak and can't even take care of its own provinces.
Old July 30, 2002, 09:38   #71
DarthVeda
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Heresson
i doubt that eastern provinces could separate from Russia.
They are too weak. And Chineese? I guess they could smash Russia, but I doubt USA and Europe would allow that... Today Russia is poor and weak, and will stay that way for years... Perhaps it may obtain a role of regional
might... Now it's big and weak and can't even take care of its own provinces.
If China were dumb enough to try anything... Russia would be the one doing the smashing... The T-80 tank is the world's second best tank, right behind the Abrams M1A2. Russia's technical (and numerical in high-tech military equipment) edge over the Chinese is currently supreme.

I'll give the Chinese that they'd be able to take a fair chunk of the Far East before the Russians got their act together, but once they did... lookout!

The far more likely option is that Russia would simply nuke China in retaliation of an invasion.
Old July 30, 2002, 09:39   #72
Serb
Emperor

Thank you Heresson, it was fascinating speech. You know where to find the picture with big, red guy (on page 1 in case that you forget). Look on it again and read what typed below the picture.
Old July 30, 2002, 09:46   #73
Serb
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by DarthVeda

The T-80 tank is the world's second best tank, right behind the Abrams M1A2.
Well, thank you very much. Most of the Americans (I mean the part which even never saw it) usualy saying that T-80U is just a peice of rusty sh*t.
But, sure I'm still absolutely sure that it's the best tank of the world. (Ok, at least M1A2 and T-80U share the first place)

Quote:
The far more likely option is that Russia would simply nuke China in retaliation of an invasion.
No doubt. It will be a retaliation of any invasion. And rightful retaliation.
Old July 30, 2002, 10:03   #74
Verto
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildNationStatesMac
King

I thought the term "superpower" had been deemed obsolete when little renegade nations started developing nuclear arsenals...

Hey, wait! If the US loses its place as world superpower, does this mean people will stop trashing it? I wonder what everyone will do with all their free time THEN....
Old July 30, 2002, 10:11   #75
Serb
Emperor

Quote:
Hey, wait! If the US loses its place as world superpower, does this mean people will stop trashing it?
Sure. Do it.

Quote:
I wonder what everyone will do with all their free time THEN....
The people will find another victim. It's just in man nature to trush someone all the time.
Old July 30, 2002, 10:19   #76
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Serb

Thank you Heresson, it was fascinating speech. You know where to find the picture with big, red guy (on page 1 in case that you forget). Look on it again and read what typed below the picture.
I know the truth hurts. You just need to accept it and move on.
Blackwidow24 and FemmeAdonis fan club
Old July 30, 2002, 10:26   #77
Serb
Emperor

Quote:
It was your late reply on my advise? In that case you should first put propper quote from me and only after this put your answer. Smth like this :

Quote:
Originally posted by Serb

So, Mr.DD is here. Great! Everything is ready for show now.

Btw, [looking on DD avatar] DinoDoc took free advice and visit a good plastic surgeon. Your photo looks a bit ugly.
Old July 30, 2002, 11:24   #78
Heresson
Scenario League / Civ2-CreationNationStates
Emperor

Hm. When people are missing arguements they tend to use that middle finger... You are overusing it. Everytime You think You see a "bullsh*t" You stick it out...
Why?
Old July 30, 2002, 11:34   #79
Main_Brain
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Free Drones
King

There aint no 'best Tank' it depends on quite some factors Me would think.

China will rise through massive EU-Cooperation and will dominate the Asian Sector. Then will annex Taiwan and noone can do anything about it.
Russia - waitn see
EU- Equal Power to US but too disorganized
US- In decline ( Playing World Commander is damn expensive and w/o a Major Counterpart.. 'prolly too expensive)
I dont see how either any ME or India could achieve SuperPower staus within the next decades
Old July 30, 2002, 12:22   #80
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Quote:
Do you have any proof?
I dare to say otherwise. Not only our asses weren't kicked, but we also kicked a lot of foreign asses. Asses who intervented our country, but were beaten and run like beaten dogs.
If you seriously believe that Russia didn't get utterly destroyed by the Germans in WW1 there is no hope for you. The battle of Tannenburg was the only time the Russian army looked good in that war, after the Germans smashed them there (old Ludendorff there), the Germans ran over the Russian army. That's partly what made Lenin seem so attractive to the people... if Russia was in Germany's backside, the Russian Revolution probably would never happened.
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old July 30, 2002, 12:46   #81
Krayzeenbk
Chieftain

Arbitrary predictions.........

The U.S. isn't leaving for at least several decades, and even then if it does, it will bounce back.

So will Russia, in towards the end of our lifetimes (maybe towards the middle).

As for Asia, there are still plenty of problems to be overcome, but obviously China with the economic capacity given to it by its population is and will be a very serious player.

As for everything else that has been said:
1) Russia IS a regional power, it regularly bosses neighbors around, signs favorable "friendship" treaties with central asian nations, Russian big business is all over Eastern Europe now. Although of course many nations still would look to NATO for assistance, Russia definetely has trump cards to play.
2) Russia is a candidate for superpower status, only for the reason that it maintains an enormous nuclear arsenal - and it IS secure and operational.
3) Any kind of question as to the territorial integrity of Russia is absurd, unless you're talking about Chechnya. Do you really think that the Russians of Siberia are about to just declare independence or something? As for Chinese, most Chinese would much rather go to the Chinese south and work in the economically prospering zones than go north to Siberia and work without wages in construction or in an unsafe chemical plant.
4) China is a candidate for superpower status, because if China were to really get in your face over something, you would have to yield. Diplomatically, China has been a superpower for many years now - just look at how the E-3 spy plane negotiations were handled.
5) America will not go.

P.S. I think some people here are real delusional (Russia will lose the far east because of this and that... blah blah blah). I recommend studying the subject if you care, or otherwise not talking if you're just gonna sit in a room in front of a computer all day and dreaming of future wars in your head.
Blah!
Old July 30, 2002, 13:12   #82
Serb
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
If you seriously believe that Russia didn't get utterly destroyed by the Germans in WW1 there is no hope for you. The battle of Tannenburg was the only time the Russian army looked good in that war, after the Germans smashed them there (old Ludendorff there), the Germans ran over the Russian army. That's partly what made Lenin seem so attractive to the people... if Russia was in Germany's backside, the Russian Revolution probably would never happened.
My point was that we never lose a defensive war.
WW1 wasn’t a defensive war for us at the beginning. And btw, you should find figures about German causalities on Russian front. They lost on Russian front during WW1 more soldiers then on all other fronts combined. When WW1 turned to defensive war for us, Germans were stopped Feb. 23 1918- first victory of Red Army- it’s a still National holiday in Russia, because just formed, poor equipped, poor trained army created in times of great famine defeated German war machine and saved young Soviet Republic.
That’s was my point, a dozen of countries attacked young Soviet state half of population was on their side, our country was in total isolation and was surrounded by enemies from all sides, BUT it survived and one by one kicked aggressor’s asses.
Old July 30, 2002, 13:27   #83
Serb
Emperor

Krayzeenbk,
Great speech men! I’m agreed with all your points 100%.
May I add you to my buddies list?
(If yes, you will be the first in my list actually)
Old July 30, 2002, 13:33   #84
Serb
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Heresson
Hm. When people are missing arguements they tend to use that middle finger... You are overusing it. Everytime You think You see a "bullsh*t" You stick it out...
Wait a minute, are you trying to say that you think your last fascinating speech was a bullsh*t?
Quote:
Why?
For the same reason why you greet every new guy with words: “not another German”, for the same reason why you saying when you disagreed with someone-“you are history ignorant fool”- JUST FOR FUN.

Oh btw, May I add you to my buddies list?
(If yes, you will be the second in this list) Just think twice, because I probably make the same offer to Ecthelion and Paiktis
Old July 30, 2002, 13:35   #85
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Serb... after Tannenburg, it was a defensive war for you, and the Germans pushed you far back. So far, that they didn't ever worry about your front and sent troops to the Western Front, where the major fighting was going on. Yes, there were some good victories by the Russians, but it does change the fact that the Germans won that faze of the war.
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
Old July 30, 2002, 13:36   #86
Serb
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Main_Brain
There aint no 'best Tank' it depends on quite some factors Me would think.
Agreed
Btw, can I add you to my bud.... Wait a minute... I don't know you men, sorry.
Old July 30, 2002, 13:53   #87
Serb
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
Serb... after Tannenburg, it was a defensive war for you, and the Germans pushed you far back. So far, that they didn't ever worry about your front and sent troops to the Western Front, where the major fighting was going on. Yes, there were some good victories by the Russians, but it does change the fact that the Germans won that faze of the war.
So what? In 1941 they won a phase of war too, but who cares about one phase? Final phase is the most important thing.
Old July 30, 2002, 14:01   #88
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Yeah, and the Germans kinda won the final phase on THAT front.

They may have lost the war, but they whipped the Russians.
Old July 30, 2002, 14:13   #89
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Krayzeenbk
2) Russia is a candidate for superpower status, only for the reason that it maintains an enormous nuclear arsenal - and it IS secure and operational.
1) So they finally decided to improve the security of thier arsenal? Good.

2) A nuclear arsenal isn't a guarentee of superpower status. One need only look at France to learn as much.

3) Russia will only be a superpower again if it learns how to build subs that don't sink to the bottom of the sea.
Blackwidow24 and FemmeAdonis fan club
Old July 30, 2002, 14:31   #90
Krayzeenbk
Chieftain

Quote:
1) So they finally decided to improve the security of thier arsenal? Good.

2) A nuclear arsenal isn't a guarentee of superpower status. One need only look at France to learn as much.

3) Russia will only be a superpower again if it learns how to build subs that don't sink to the bottom of the sea.

1) It never was insecure (to be blatant - you have to be lame, idiotic, ignorant, and living in America to have fantasies about how renegade officers and terrorists have access to the Russian nuclear arsenal. It's just not serious to think something like that. I'm sure the Russians are very serious about it).

2) France doesn't have thousands of missiles with multiple warheads, Russia does.

3) I guess, but then again there are subs that haven't yet sunk circling around our country ready to nuke us to hell, so you might want to rethink that.
Blah!