Old July 30, 2002, 05:29   #1
M. le Comte
Warlord

Local Time: 06:11
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Corruption
I am sure some people before me must have asked this kind of question.

Is there any way or tool to make corruption been canceled under Democracy and Communism, lunke in the ormer versions of the game ?

I can deal with corruption when I play on continents or big islands. But when I choose to play on a lot of small island, and on a big map, it is very impossible to win after the level "monarch". I know I am not a pundit in cvilization III, but I'd like to manage to win each time I play at the former "king" level.

Merci par avance.
Old July 30, 2002, 10:33   #2
petey
Chieftain

Local Time: 00:11
I personally hate the corruption feature and always turn it off. The way to do that is to go into the editor and change the optimal number of cities to 99 for all ofhte map sizes. That way all of your cities are useful and you don't have to deal with all the crappy stuff of conquered cities never being worth anything.

-When in doubt attack. When not in doubt, attack anyways - it's more fun
Old July 30, 2002, 12:28   #3
Willem
Emperor

Local Time: 22:11
Local Date: October 31, 2010
There's a number of ways to deal with it. The problem with adjusting the optimal cities as was mentioned, is that it also affects the AI, and allows it to send out Settler after Settler, since there's nothing slowing it down. Also, you won't be able to build the Forbidden Palace until you've established half of the number of optimal cities. BTW, you'll find the setting on the World Sizes screen in the editor.

There is also a slider in the Difficulties section, that allows you to adjust the overall corruption in the game by a percentage, for each level. You can even increase it if you like.

In the Improvements area, you can also add the "Reduces Corruption" flag to other Improvements or Small Wonders. For instance, allowing Temples to reduce corruption wouldn't be too far-fetched. Or you could make something like the Military Academy act like a Forbidden Palace as well. Or you can create a brand new building that acts like the FP.
Old July 30, 2002, 12:44   #4
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Local Time: 23:11
Quote:
Originally posted by Willem
Or you could make something like the Military Academy act like a Forbidden Palace as well. Or you can create a brand new building that acts like the FP.
I tend to use the Forbidden Palace flag, be aware that any flag you give the little wonders has to be triggered by ALL the triggers you flagged.

For example if you give the Forbidden Palace flag to Military Academy and meet the requirements for building it, you WILL NOT be able to build it until you meet the corruption trigger for the Forbidden Palace also.
Old July 30, 2002, 12:52   #5
alexman
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization IV CreatorsInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMApolyCon 06 Participants
Firaxis Games Software Engineer

Local Time: 01:11
My advice is to leave corruption as it is and learn to play Civ3 as it was designed to be played. The corruption model adds strategy and reduces tediousness from having too many cities.
Old July 30, 2002, 14:29   #6
Willem
Emperor

Local Time: 22:11
Quote:
Originally posted by alexman
My advice is to leave corruption as it is and learn to play Civ3 as it was designed to be played. The corruption model adds strategy and reduces tediousness from having too many cities.
Just because it works for you doesn't mean it works for everyone else. That's why it has an editor that was shipped with the game, which is constantly being improved upon!

Besides, it can be a lot of fun working within the parameters and customizing your game. It adds more of a personal touch to it, rather than feeling like we're just being spoonfed our entertainment.

Not to mention that there's possibilities available that aren't even being utilized in the default game right now. All Firaxis has done is provide a basic template, there's all sorts of things that players can do themselves, once they get in under the hood.