Old November 25, 2000, 20:53   #1
Kyle
Prince

Local Time: 18:47
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Finally!
After years of trying (I've owned Civ2 since 96), I've finally beaten the game on Warlord level. While this may seem sad my style of play is different from the norm. I finally got out of my rut and altered it a bit and got the spaceship to AC in 1964 AD.

Just thought I'd share.
Old November 25, 2000, 21:23   #2
tonic
King

Local Time: 22:47
What can one say but "Congrats!" ?

Care to share your individualistic MO?
Old November 25, 2000, 23:28   #3
Kyle
Prince

Sure, where normally one sets out with the idea that they're going to conquer everyone or build the spaceship, I start out simply to strike a balance to grow my cities and build a respectable military. I usually rely on goodie huts for extra cities early on.

I found myself attempting to build a strong nation, rather than playing to win. Odd yes, but it suited me. One thing for that method, it's kept my interest in the Civ2 single player game much longer than the average player.

This time, while the Mongols were conquering Asia, Europe, and Africa, I made a conscious effort to increase my science lead. And hence the spaceship.

Old November 28, 2000, 10:50   #4
Laertes
Civilization III Democracy Game
Prince

Congrats - I think we call this perfectionist, or, in extremis, SSC! How many cities did you end up with?
Old November 28, 2000, 12:07   #5
Kyle
Prince

Fifteen cities I believe. Three of which were bought out from under the English.
Old November 28, 2000, 16:02   #6
DaveP
Chieftain

quote:

Originally posted by Kyle on 11-25-2000 10:28 PM
I found myself attempting to build a strong nation, rather than playing to win. Odd yes, but it suited me.

As long as you achieved your goals, and enjoyed doing so, I'd say you won regardless of whether the game counts it that way or not.

Never let the programmer's idea of a worthwhile goal interfere with your own sense of accomplishment.

Dave
Old November 28, 2000, 18:58   #7
jcarkey
Warlord

Local Time: 16:47
Congrats. I used to play perfectionist, it's hard to do.

------------------
What if the Hokey-Pokey is really what its all about?

Save the whales, collect the whole set!!

If Al Gore invented the Internet, then I invented the spell check- Dan Quayle
Old November 29, 2000, 17:30   #8
Christantine The Great
Prince

Local Time: 17:47
This is my favorite way to play a game. I like to watch my empire grow reasonably, too. I usually try to conquer only an empire the size of the Roman Empire and to grab all of the islands possible. I also do not like to start over if I am losing. In my favorite game I was being conquered by the Sioux (Real world map) and I managed to escape to Australia. I then built up again until the Sioux found me with the help of Buzz Two-Feather and Bear Paw Glen. I excaped to Madigascar with one settler, a spy, a tank, and a transport. I lived the rest of my life there until killed by the Egyptians (Who ballooned to fill up all of Africa.).
Old December 2, 2000, 01:59   #9
N35t0r
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversDiplomacyScenario League / Civ2-CreationPtWDG2 Latin LoversC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansPSPB Team EspañolC4WDG Spamyard TeamBtS Tri-League
Emperor

Local Time: 19:47
Good one.

I actually am a bit of an expansionist and a perfectionist at the same time.

each city i fund produces defense, a settler which funds another city, more defense, another settler to improve some of the radii (early game) or all of it (mid-late) and then fund a new city, and finally improvements and WOWs (and caravans!) (not many units, i don't like war) until i don't have any more options, when i build troops or capitalize.

i really HATE the spaceship, so i usually end up with the game finished and only having conquered three or four civs...
Old December 4, 2000, 20:51   #10
SilverDragon

I play with a goal to conquer. I get polytheism early, get a lead by conquering cities from the civs, and then at gunpowder I switch my war nation to an impregnible but peaceful civ, and build a spaceship. Once armors come around, I have a bit of fun, though.

------------------
Go Redskins!

Email me at
SilverDragon141@aol.com