Old July 31, 2002, 03:30   #1
Artifex
Prince

Local Time: 05:14
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Confused about Military Academy. I can't create an army after I built it.
It says prereq is a victorious army. I rushed the academy. It is in my city with 3 cavalry. But there is no option to create army.

What am I missing? DO you need to have a victorious army after you build the acedemy too? I already had a victorious army in ancient era, I was just wondering why I can't make an army in this city?
Old July 31, 2002, 03:38   #2
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Re: Confused about Military Academy. I can't create an army after I built it.
Quote:
Originally posted by Artifex
It says prereq is a victorious army. I rushed the academy. It is in my city with 3 cavalry. But there is no option to create army.

What am I missing? DO you need to have a victorious army after you build the acedemy too? I already had a victorious army in ancient era, I was just wondering why I can't make an army in this city?
You can only have one army for every four cities, I believe. How many do you have?
Old July 31, 2002, 03:42   #3
Artifex
Prince

I have no armies and about 60 cities...
Old July 31, 2002, 03:43   #4
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Quote:
I have no armies and about 60 cities...
Post .SAV please?
Old July 31, 2002, 03:45   #5
YC4B4U
Warlord

Local Time: 14:44
Is it not in the build menu?
Old July 31, 2002, 03:57   #6
Artifex
Prince

I lost my rulebook. So I don't know how it works. I assumed that you just move 3 units into the city with the academy and load them and you have an army. Kinda like loading onto a ship *shrug*

I just checked and army is on the build que. But says 200 turns? I didn't know you had to build them and they cost a ton of shields? So I should have placed an acedemy in a high production / low corruption city if that is the case.. I rushed it in a small city to use up the leader cuz I am in a war and wanted to try to generate some more.

Please explain to me exactly the process of building armies once you have an academy. Thanks.
Old July 31, 2002, 03:59   #7
Artifex
Prince

I am thinking this is the perfect scenerio to go back to an auto save..although I do that only in emergencies (which this looks to be).
Old July 31, 2002, 04:03   #8
YC4B4U
Warlord

Local Time: 14:44
Don't worry - I won't tell anyone

In this case an army is like a unit. Build it, load it with units and head for the front.

Your initial assumption is what CTP2 does. In my opinion a much better system!
Old July 31, 2002, 04:06   #9
vulture
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafC4DG Gathering Storm
King

Local Time: 06:14
Sounds like there is some confusion here about how building armies works. As YC4B4U says, you have to select it in the build queue (in your military academy city), and then spend a few hundred shield building an army unit. When that is done, you can load your cavalry into the army just like you would load them into a leader-created army.
Old July 31, 2002, 05:17   #10
Hurricane
Warlord

Local Time: 07:14
Quote:
Originally posted by vulture
Sounds like there is some confusion here about how building armies works. As YC4B4U says, you have to select it in the build queue (in your military academy city), and then spend a few hundred shield building an army unit. When that is done, you can load your cavalry into the army just like you would load them into a leader-created army.
And that is why the Mil Academy is useless. The 200 shields (plus the cost of building the Mil Academy in the first place) are better spent on units directly.
Old July 31, 2002, 05:31   #11
Artifex
Prince

Yes Now that I think about it..I would have been better to rush magellens expidition, since I am getting ready to build a huge navy for an invasion armada for the other continent. Prob would been better just to build the units directly.

I guess armies aren't as useful as I had assumed they would be.
Old July 31, 2002, 06:21   #12
star mouse
Civilization III Democracy Game
Prince

Local Time: 16:14
When you build the Military Academy in a low-corruption megaproducing city that can churn out an army in 4 turns, you'll think they're the sweetest thing ...

The best city to build it in is a city that has one of the highest production values, and that can be easily defended.
Old July 31, 2002, 07:27   #13
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Local Time: 23:14
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Or you could reduce the cost of the Army unit in the editor.
Old July 31, 2002, 08:41   #14
zulu9812
King

I reduced the cost to 30 shields - I've found the AI actually build them now.
I think holding hands can be more erotic than 'slamming it in the ass' - Pekka, thinking that he's messed up
Old July 31, 2002, 10:19   #15
Willem
Emperor

Local Time: 22:14
Quote:

Please explain to me exactly the process of building armies once you have an academy. Thanks.
Simple. As you've already noticed, you build the main Army just like a regular unit. Once it's done move it, or not, to where ever you want to, and move some units to the same square. Then when their turn to perform an action comes up, just press the "L" key on your keyboard.
Old July 31, 2002, 11:21   #16
Marquis de Sodaq
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Hurricane
And that is why the Mil Academy is useless. The 200 shields (plus the cost of building the Mil Academy in the first place) are better spent on units directly.
Ah, good thing I saw this. I got my first leader in months, then saved and quit after a few turns. I was going to build an army with him in order to get the academy - and then build more armies, etc. So basically, all it does is double the cost of your units to make an army of them. Are armies really worth that?

Maybe I'll go rush a forbidden palace somewhere instead...

The gift of speech is given to many,
intelligence to few.
Old July 31, 2002, 12:11   #17
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Local Time: 01:14
Marquis,

The FP is a crucial thing to have - I'd say use your leader on that.

However, making an army with a leader allows you to build the Heroic Epic, which is the real payoff - 1/12 leader generation chance as opposed to 1/16. The military academy is really only worthwhile once you're industrialized. There are situations where having an army of 4 Cavalry or Tanks or Modern Armor is really useful (those make pretty good nutcrackers). But overall I agree it's not terribly important.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old July 31, 2002, 12:32   #18
Boris Godunov
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 22:14
The way I fight, armies are very vital. I get a swarm of armies made up of 4 tanks or modern armor, and use those to take out enemy cities by droves without losing a single unit.
Old August 1, 2002, 02:29   #19
Hurricane
Warlord

Local Time: 07:14
Quote:
Originally posted by Boris Godunov
The way I fight, armies are very vital. I get a swarm of armies made up of 4 tanks or modern armor, and use those to take out enemy cities by droves without losing a single unit.
Yes, but at the time you have modern armor you would win anyway.
Old September 6, 2002, 06:53   #20
Kindbud
Chieftain

Need a little more help with Army creation
I'm not sure what I'm missing here but I have a leader, he is in my captial and I want to turn him into an army. According to the posts on this thread there should be a option in the build que to create an army. There is not. I have posted a save with this so someone may be able to help. I don't know what else to do... I have a bunch of elites just bustin to go leader but I have to use the current one first. I am behind in techs so I don't have a wonder I can build except the FP. I am holding off on that until I expand to another continent so HELP!

Thanks
Attached Files:
File Type: sav caesar of the romans, 850 ad.sav (149.4 KB, 0 views)
Old September 6, 2002, 07:12   #21
Ethelred
King

Local Time: 21:14
Quote:
According to the posts on this thread there should be a option in the build que to create an army.
Not according to any posts on this thread. That was for the Military Academy not for a GL.

Move the GL to any of your cities. If it can still move some more or the on the next turn, if you used up all its movement getting it there, there will be two buttons for the GL that are unique to GLs. One is a pile of bricks to hurry an improvement. The other is a bit less easily figured out as to what is supposed to be but its on top next the hurry button. That other button is the Create Army button. Just hit it and an Army will be created in the city imediatly. Then move any units want in the army to the city and hit the load button that is exactly the same kind of load button as you get for transports. An Army is essentialy a special purpose transport with a one way door. Units go in but they can't get out.
Old September 6, 2002, 07:13   #22
vulture
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafC4DG Gathering Storm
King

Re: Need a little more help with Army creation
Quote:
Originally posted by Kindbud
I'm not sure what I'm missing here but I have a leader, he is in my captial and I want to turn him into an army. According to the posts on this thread there should be a option in the build que to create an army. There is not. I have posted a save with this so someone may be able to help. I don't know what else to do... I have a bunch of elites just bustin to go leader but I have to use the current one first. I am behind in techs so I don't have a wonder I can build except the FP. I am holding off on that until I expand to another continent so HELP!

Thanks
To turn a leader into an army works differently. You move him in to any of your cities, and click on the 'build army' icon at the bottom of the screen (or press the 'B' key). This creates an army into which you can load units.

Once your army has won a battle, you can build more armies without using leaders, once you have the nationalism tech (or is it military tradition, can't remember). There is the military academy small wonder, which you can build once you've had an army win a single battle (even if it was later destroyed). Once you've built the academy, then in *that* city you can build more armies; the army 'unit' will appear in the list of things you can build in that city.

So there are two different ways of building armies: the military academy, or using a leader. But your first army has to be built using a leader since you can't build the academy before that.
Old September 6, 2002, 08:25   #23
Adm.Naismith
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Ethelred An Army is essentialy a special purpose transport with a one way door. Units go in but they can't get out.
Eh, eh, great example Straight to the point, simple and amusing
Old September 6, 2002, 08:47   #24
Moonsinger
Warlord

Quote:
I lost my rulebook. So I don't know how it works. I assumed that you just move 3 units into the city with the academy and load them and you have an army. Kinda like loading onto a ship *shrug*
You assumed wrong.

Quote:
You have correctly answered your own question, see quote below:

Quote:
I just checked and army is on the build que. But says 200 turns? I didn't know you had to build them and they cost a ton of shields? So I should have placed an acedemy in a high production / low corruption city if that is the case.
Basically, there are two ways to build an army:

1. Use the GL

OR

2. Build the Military Academy which allow you to build the army unit. It cost 200 shields for each army, of course.
Old September 6, 2002, 09:01   #25
Lucarse
Warlord

Yes!!.. i can't believe an Army takes 200 turns in this city how long did the academy take to build!!!

Another stoopid question is can you only build an Army in the same city as the acad?

if so you is stuffed mate.
Old September 6, 2002, 09:01   #26
Amadan
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by Hurricane

High shield / low corruption city.
I've built army's in 9 turns.
Old September 6, 2002, 09:05   #27
metalhead
Warlord

Local Time: 01:14
Re: Re: Need a little more help with Army creation
Quote:
Originally posted by vulture
Once your army has won a battle, you can build more armies without using leaders, once you have the nationalism tech (or is it military tradition, can't remember).
The military academy comes with Military Tradition (and an army victory, of course!)
Old September 6, 2002, 09:11   #28
Lucarse
Warlord

I've Never built an army in over 20 turns!!

Its debatable about their usefullness i think it depends on your approach to CIV warfare, i use them on and off usually if i get a GL and am not building a wonder.
Old September 6, 2002, 09:23   #29
vondrack
lifer
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEMPtWDG Legoland
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Lucarse
Yes!!.. i can't believe an Army takes 200 turns in this city how long did the academy take to build!!!

Another stoopid question is can you only build an Army in the same city as the acad?

Yep, stuffed he is... Armies can be built in the city with the Military Academy small wonder only (or created from Great Leaders).

Artifex rushed the Academy (built it in one turn using up a Great Leader), without being aware of that it will be next to unusable for him...
Old September 6, 2002, 09:41   #30
Moonsinger
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Lucarse
Not really! If he made the mistake and built the Military Academy far away from his core production cities, he could always disband that city, let his enemy conquer it, or give it to the AI which would destroy his Military Academy. Now, he can rebuild his Military Academy in his core cities.