Old July 31, 2002, 08:24   #1
Locutus
Apolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 SP Democracy GameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV CreatorsCTP2 Source Code ProjectPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 07:14
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Infamous Rush-buy bug fixed!
MarkyMark of the Guardians clan has announced in the Guardians` CtP2 forum that Mazaika has managed to find a fix for the infamous Rush-buy bug that has plagued the MP Community for a long time. This bug makes it possible in Multiplayer games to rush-buy units, buildings and wonders at a really cheap cost during an opponent`s turn.

According to Markymark, Mazaika had the following to say: [H]ere is the final version[. I]t works[, I]`ve tested it a few times.
[I] have changed only 1 thing, i made it possible for the players to choose whether they want to play with advances in the ruins, or with barbs (4 choices).
[I] have erased both buttons that could cause cheat.
[H]ere is how i want it to work. [A]ll [A]polyton members and G[uardians] members get this patch right away. Everyone else must sign up for our clan in order to get the patch. [I]n 2 weeks, exactly on August 11th, Sunday [I] will put the patch for everyone`s access.

Many, many thanks to Mazaika, the Guardians clan and all others involved for fixing this bug! More info and hopefully a download location for this fix will become available as soon as possible.

- http://apolyton.net/ctp2
Old July 31, 2002, 08:38   #2
Pedrunn
Call to Power II Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 02:14
Funny, how havent anyone thought in erase the rush buy buttons before.
Such a simple solution, yet so much needed
-Jean Rostand
Old July 31, 2002, 08:45   #3
Locutus
Apolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 SP Democracy GameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV CreatorsCTP2 Source Code ProjectPolyCast Team
Deity

Actually, we did think of that. Problem is, how do you know for sure everyone erases the button? If one person keeps it, this person can cheat as much as he wants, while the others couldn't do it even if they wanted to. I asked Markymark and/or others to explain if/how they solved this problem, but I haven't had a reply yet. But they seem pretty sure they've fixed the problem so I assume it's not that big a deal...
Old July 31, 2002, 08:54   #4
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 22:14
Local Date: October 31, 2010
!!!
Old July 31, 2002, 10:49   #5
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Local Time: 06:14
So is it still possibly to rush-but legally?
Old July 31, 2002, 12:17   #6
Maquiladora
Call to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power PBEMCall to Power Multiplayer
Emperor

He says it is still possible to rush buy. Jusy probably not inbetween turns perhaps.
Old July 31, 2002, 12:30   #7
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Hope so.

Wasn't there a SLIC fix that did the same thing? Or didn't that work?
Old July 31, 2002, 12:41   #8
Martin Gühmann
staff
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Immortal Wombat
Hope so.

Wasn't there a SLIC fix that did the same thing? Or didn't that work?
There was but it didn't work. So actual no fix.

-Martin
Old July 31, 2002, 13:21   #9
Oerdin
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Immortal Wombat
So is it still possibly to rush-but legally?
There are two rush buy buttons on two seporate menus. If he keeps the main one then you can rush buy without cheating while if the second is erased then you cannot use the IBC to get everything you want in a single turn.

This is great news! Now maybe we can restart Game League.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old August 3, 2002, 14:45   #10
Oerdin
Deity

Looks like I'm going to have to update the my post on the FAQ concerning the I.B.C.. The FAQ says people are working on writing the code to solve the IBC and now it is complete.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old August 3, 2002, 18:47   #11
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

Any word as to when the Apolyton site will have this fix posted?
Old August 3, 2002, 18:57   #12
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

As soon as Maz and co. finish testing it and publish it I guess. There's no word on the Guardian's site either.
Old August 4, 2002, 03:14   #13
Oerdin
Deity

I tried to download the patch off the guardian's web site but was unable. I believe I am a member of the guardians although I haven't been active for some time.
Old August 4, 2002, 05:50   #14
Maquiladora
Call to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power PBEMCall to Power Multiplayer
Emperor

He did say Apolyton members too didnt he? Or did he mean Guardian Apolyton members? He mentioned that he had tested it. I dont get all this 2 week thing anyway. :hmm:
Old August 4, 2002, 16:01   #15
Locutus
Deity

I'm not sure but I think the change is a simple text-file change so it's a far from perfect solution, but we'll wait what Maz has to say (unless I hear from him I will contact him very soon - I have a bit of an real-life overload at the moment or I would have done it already)
Old August 5, 2002, 01:46   #16
{\S/}Tripa{\S/}
Settler

Local Time: 15:14
even if he has fixed the text file the problem is if somone doesnt have it they can still cheat this was the problem we at skaven had. the only way we could change that would be to make it a patch which means all CTP2 servers would have to say u cant use there servers without the patch. like when playing unpatched u cant play vs patched players.
So IMO it is pritty much imposible for a 2nd party to make this thing work. it would have to be done officialy by apolyton.
Old August 5, 2002, 02:53   #17
Oerdin
Deity

I hate to admite it but there is no substitute for OEM support.
Old August 5, 2002, 10:33   #18
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

OEM?
Old August 20, 2002, 20:28   #19
Maquiladora
Emperor

OEM stands for original equipment manufacture. Basically supplied directly by the company that first made the equipment youre buying. I dunno, just means you dont get a nice colourful box when you buy some component for your pc.
Old August 20, 2002, 21:08   #20
Maquiladora
Emperor

Its been over 2 weeks but the link isnt active on guardians website.
Old August 21, 2002, 07:14   #21
Locutus
Deity

I'll contact those guys and see what's up. We'll need this for the MP Tournament ASAP.