Old July 31, 2002, 14:38   #1
Boris Godunov
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 22:15
Local Date: October 31, 2010
SuperPower - Any better post-patches?
Okay, all the reviews pretty much panned this game, but I have to say it looks interesting. I heard there were several patches. So has it been made worth buying with the patches, or is it still dreck?
Old July 31, 2002, 15:07   #2
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 00:15
Local Date: November 1, 2010
That's what I want to know as well.
Blackwidow24 and FemmeAdonis fan club
Old August 1, 2002, 11:48   #3
Boris Godunov
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 22:15
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Not everyone answer at once, now...
Old August 1, 2002, 19:32   #4
MosesPresley
Prince

OK, I will jump on this grenade. I bought the game when it first came out. I took it home and made it to about turn 5 and the game would crash to desktop. I could only get a few turns and it would crash everytime. Many people on the forums were complaining about this and some other problems.

After about a month a patch came out. The game didn't crash on me, at least not that I can remember, but my allies would cancel any treaties that I made with them the following turn. There were also complaints about illegal troop movements. This first patch was 35mb.

Last night I downloaded the new patch. It is also 35mb. The download took 2hrs 40m on my creaky 56k modem. I activated the self-extracting patch and I was rewarded with a message telling me that it was corrupted during download.

I waited a few hours and decided to try the download again.
Success! I patched the game. I eagerly loaded it up. I chose to play as Afghanistan. I wanted to keep things simple. I had only $600 million dollars, which was just fine with me. My government was anarchy. I had one city for production. I had bad relations with my neighbors. Therefore, I built a few infantry, laid the foundation for a new city and started cultural exchange treaties with China, India, Russia and Iraq.

The next turn went well. No treaties were cancelled and I wasn't strategically nuked out of existence. I played for a few more turns and bought some artillery technology from Russia. The USA had refused.

Then it happened. My treasury had swollen to over five quintillion dollars. $5,135,905,015,079,081,180.00 to be exact. I must have greener thumbs than Alan Greenspan. I played for about three more turns and then the game crashed to the desktop.

I now have a $35 coaster. Somewhere in the Bermuda Triangle is 6 hours of my modem time and a working version of Superpower. On a side note. Now if you hit the "CREDITS" button on the title screen, nothing comes up. Feel free to draw your own conclusions.
"In Italy for 30 years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed. But they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love. They had 500 years of democracy and peace. And what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."
—Orson Welles as Harry Lime

Last edited by MosesPresley; August 2, 2002 at 02:47.
Old August 1, 2002, 20:02   #5
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Ouch! I had such hopes for that game.
Blackwidow24 and FemmeAdonis fan club
Old August 1, 2002, 20:40   #6
Victor Galis
Emperor

Local Time: 01:15
Ah well... so many games I need to play, one less can't hurt.
Old August 2, 2002, 05:58   #7
Grumbold
Emperor

Local Time: 06:15
Well at least they are producing patches. If they keep doing so there's some hope. There are quite a few games I can think of that were impossible to complete or had major problems before the fourth or fifth patch.